Anko1020 『私はめーりんである。』 "I am Meiling"*

Poweryoga

Mar 31, 2010, 11:45:47 AM3/31/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
*the usage is a "de-aru, which means 'I exist'.

My name is Meiling, my name is not anything special. I am a yukkuri
named Meiling.

The owner that takes care of me and the other yukkuris that are in the
house have always called me "Meiling", so I have come to know myself
as "Meiling".

I don't know where I was born, I had lived in this house together with
the others ever since my earliest memories.

I seem to recall being picked up as a stray when I was little, but I
don't really have many memories of it. I don't even recall the face
of my parents, but my owner loves me so I don't really mind.

I can't talk or have a conversation with the other yukkuris. No
matter how much I tried to say other words, all that comes out of my
mouth is "Jaooon". My owner tries very hard to understand what I am
trying to say as a result.

Once I wanted to play with my owner, and I called out with a
"Jaooon". After thinking about this response for a bit, my owner
snuck a small plate of dessert before me. I wasn't really hungry at
that time, but I gave in and ate the dessert after the expectant
stares from my owner. My stomach became puffy like a pregnant
yukkuri, but I called out to her with a "Jaooon" that was filled
gratitude. My owner smiled contently with that.

I also like to take afternoon naps, and I frequently take naps in the
well-lit rooms. Before I used to sleep in the yard as well, but the
owner stopped me from doing that, so now I mostly just nap in the
rooms. There's two reasons why my owner stopped me from napping
outdoors.

One time was because I almost drowned while napping. Once I fall
asleep I will never wake up in the middle of the nap. It had started
raining when I was out and my owner brought me inside in a panic, but
I was ok.

The second time was when I was attacked by mister stray cat and other
stray yukkuris. Mister cat is a presence much stronger than I ever
can be, and I was chased around with much confusion and frustration.
There were times that this desperate struggle was confused with a
leisurely play time with mister cat.

As for the wild yukkuris, most of them would say something like "a
yukkuri that can't take it easy" when they refer to me. It is rumored
that they will bring "judgement" and "Justice" to those sort of
yukkuris. So it seems the reason that I can't take it easy is
because of my inability to talk, although I never really minded the
fact that I can't speak. But there are times where I get frustrated
because I can't properly communicate with or thank my owner.

But my "Jaooon!" that is infused with my inner gratitude always brings
a smile to my owner's face.

Thinking about my well-being, my owner eventually forbid me from
sleeping in the yard. I was a bit disappointed, but I decided to stop
worrying my owner and accepted the decision. Even if sometimes the
warm sun is like a siren's beautiful song, I would resist the
temptation, remain immobile in the room and nap.

Even someone such as I could have friends. A yukkuri called Flan
owned by mister neighbor.

She is pretty good friends with me, a yukkuri who can't even speak.

The other yukkruis don't like me, and since I can't stand this kind of
atmosphere I often go over to Flan's to play.

The first time we met is when I was napping in the yard.

At that time, a stray yukkuri was bullying me around, a yukkuri named
Marisa. Marisa took out a stick from her hat and started stabbing at
me. I was evading the stick with all my strength, and Marisa
gleefully chased me around with the stick.

I lost count of the number of times I cried "Jaooon!" when she stood
before me. She easily picked up the Marisa that was chasing me, tore
apart her hat and stomped on it many times before throwing Marisa out
of the yard.

I thanked her with a hearty "Jaooon!", and she smiled at me warmly.
Ever since then we've had a good relationship. We played together and
we napped together.

I don't leave the yard by myself anymore, but Flan usually comes by
with her owner to play.

Lately my owner is talking about getting a new yukkuri. Maybe my
owner has gotten tired of me, and I felt a bit lonely. Everything my
owner talked about lately is related to "Yuka-nyan". That type of
yukkuri is similar to Flan, where they have their own body. A few
days passed, and my owner brought her back. I called out to her with
a "Jaooon!" and she smiled back at me.

"Nice to meet you, please take care of me" she said back.

I thought about how I'm not needed by my owner anymore, and my tears
flooded out. I was shaking all over when my owner picked me up, and
then my owner said to me.

"Be nice to yuka-nyan, ok?"

Maybe the reason that my owner bought Yuka-nyan was because I was
always by myself, and my owner thought I might be lonely.

Maybe I misunderstood.

This is the first time I had felt embarrassed at my misunderstanding,
and at the same time felt the love that must've went into these
actions.

After that I became good friends with Yuka-nyan. Yuka's a pretty shy
yukkuri. The first time she met my friend Flan, she was shaking with
fear, though she had tried to hide that fact.

I called out to her with a reassuring "Jaooon!!", and her shaking
subsided a bit.

When I'm together with Yuka-nyan, I am able to resume taking my
afternoon naps in the yard.

Yuka-nyan loves flowers, and she's always working away at the garden.
Thanks to her, the usual garden has become vibrant and lively, and it
has become a popular pastime for both me and my owner to relax and
look at the garden.

But, there's always a downside to good things. The beautiful flowers
are just food to stray yukkuris.

Unfortunately, the stray yukkuris found the garden and started to eat
the flowers, slowly turning the garden a barren pile of dirt. Because
of Yuka's shyness and introverted nature, she just cried while she
looked on at the devastation. She called out for them to stop, but
the stray yukkuris didn't listen and continued what they were doing.

They said "We will bring justice upon the yuka that hoards all the
flowers".

Yuka-nyan froze in fear, unable to move. Normally I'd just escape by
myself but it's different this time.

The Yuka-nyan that I can't properly speak to, but nevertheless have a
good relationship with... I thought to myself she is someone I must
protect.

The Yuka-nyan that always watched over me while I napped in the yard,
I had to return her kindness.

I jumped before the stray yukkuris, stared at them fiercely before
letting loose an intimidating "Jaoon!"

Of course they weren't scared by something like that, and so I rammed
the strays. Of course, a few of them got out of the way, there's just
so many of them. I was being stabbed by sticks, beaten by a club, I
fell unconscious while protecting Yuka-nyan. While my consciousness
faded, my instincts told me that I was beyond medical attention.

At that time I heard the voice from mister and Flan from next door.
The two of them beat and chased the wild yukkuris away, and Yuka-nyan
was safe. Maybe since the big burden had dropped from my heart, so my
vision suddenly dimmed. Flan and Yuka were crying.

I let out a farewell "Jaooon!" for the two of them, but my only regret
was that I was not able to say my goodbyes to my owner. Not being
able to see my owner's face for the last time before leaving... my
tears wouldn't stop.

Soon after my consciousness sank into a deep abyss, same as the usual
afternoon nap. But there's only a slight difference, as if there's no
way I would wake up again...

Even though I had thought that I would never wake up again, I did wake
up. When I opened my eyes, I saw the pea sized tear drops from Yuka
and Flan, and my owner was there beside me as well.

I heard about this later, but I was saved by orange juice. It also
appears there's no uneasy side effects as well. I began to thank the
fact that I was a yukkuri and not anything else.

"Jaoon!"

I let loose a thankful cry, and tears of joy flowed from my eyes.

And then after that, Flan and Yuka-nyan became good friends. My owner
also turned the small fence surrounding the house into a sturdy wall.
There's probably going to be no further incidents about yukkuris
coming in to eat up our garden. I will probably also be able to nap
easy in the yard.

Living together always with my owner, with Flan, with Yuka... I wished
for this to continue forever.

Today I also watched over Yuka-nyan, the easy feeling of the flowers
slowly lulling me to sleep.

After a while, there was a new product that was released called
"Meiling-girl". My owner seemed to take a great interest in the
product, as it's something that would make my speech understandable, I
would able to talk. I'm also happy about others being able to
understand me, even if it seems a little embarrassing.

My owner left to buy it, but came back disappointed. It seems like
the product was too popular and it sold out immediately.

I was a bit relieved at that fact, actually. I have a lot of thanks I
wanted to give to Flan, to Yuka-nyan, and to my owner... but what
embarrassing things to say.

When there's a language barrier, there's a lot of effort that goes
into understanding each other. But, what's this strange feeling that
is bursting out of me today?

Well anyway, I will also greet today with an energetic "Jaooon!"

"I love master~"

<end>

Poweryoga

Mar 31, 2010, 11:46:51 AM3/31/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Family friendly story. A bit short to be quite honest, but straight
forward and very easy to translate.

cluster

Mar 31, 2010, 12:57:39 PM3/31/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Quite a pleasant story. Now I'm eager to see a drawing of a Meiling-
yukkuri sleeping in the middle of a downpour.

You did quite a good job with the translation, too. One nit-pick:
"Thinking about my well-being, my owner eventually forbid me from" -
it should be "forbade".

Matt

Mar 31, 2010, 1:43:17 PM3/31/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
This is why Meiling is the best, such a good girl.. Great job
Poweryoga.

DESTROYYUKKURIS

Mar 31, 2010, 9:05:38 PM3/31/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

What a good China yukkuri. I was also wondering what happened when
"un-related" yukkuris are put in the same environment with Yuka-chen
and China. It seems they don't have any connections to their Gensokyo
personalities they're based on, and can be friends either way.

Thanks for the story!

I wonder what the "Meiling Girl" is though.

Moisés

Apr 16, 2010, 10:37:30 AM4/16/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Many thanks for the translation!

It's great to read some family friendly stories from time to time.