Attn: Erfry

Poweryoga

Jan 5, 2011, 12:33:42 AM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Please post any questions you have about yukkuri abuse here.

Going to ask everyone to keep this civil. I don't want flame wars,
just a good honest discussion. Your questions seem honest in nature
so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'll start off with my preferences and observations over the past year
or two.

Yukkuris originally started as nothing more than badly pasted ascii
art. People found it funny, then someone actually colored it and....
wow, they looked annoying. They had smug faces, a catchy slogan and
most of all.... a community that was highly imaginative and pulls
absolutely no punches when it comes to fanon and doujin. Touhou fans
are one of the most zealous groups I've ever seen in any sort of fan
community, and some of the most talented as well.

Fast forward 2 years, we have yukkuris in the state it is right now.
I'll make it pretty clear... I like both family friendly and abuse
stories. Make no mistakes, I am not a yukkuri lover who thinks
yukkuris deserve "rights" or anything. I see it as how it is...
yukkuris are fan creations and a figment of my imagination. They obey
the rules of the universe they were created in, and in the vast
majority of their environments.... abuse is ok.

Maximusfive put it very elegantly in many posts on OYP. Yukkuris are
in their own world with their own rules , most prominent being "abuse
a yukkuri" is ok. Depending on how the series draws out, you can
understand the ruleset being applied to their existence.

There's no "right" or "wrong" way to treat a yukkuri, those are simply
our human standards applied to fictional images that even in their
fictional worlds, exist only because they are "magic". Even in their
fictional world, it doesn't make sense for them to exist because
they're bouncing pastries with no organs and heal with nonsensical
items. Do we question why video game characters can heal by eating
food they find from a garbage can?....

So I guess that was a bit off track... Your original question is "why
do people like yukkuri abuse", and I find myself really unable to
answer it clearly. Nonsensical abuse, where yukkuris just randomly
get punched or slaughtered for no good reason other than being
alive.... well, to be honest, it doesn't bother me. I accept the
world that the artist or author created as is, and there doesn't need
to be a reason for abusing yukkuris. I guess the better question is:

Why try to justify the maiming of something that doesn't exist?

As Tea had said, it's fun for some people to look at. Some maiming
could be humorous, and some of us find their "easy" attitude annoying
enough that a beating or a slaughter feels good to look at. Some
slaughter have a good story, and some series are designed to have a
detestable anon (such as the boy who mugs a yukkuri family for some
quick dough... sorry for the pun). I personally believe it appeals to
the darker side of human nature, kind of like you snaking your head
around when there's a car wreck on the side of the road. You ask
yourself "what in the world happened?", and you visualize scenarios of
the accident. In the end, the artistic creation, whether it is a
picture or a fanfic... doesn't hurt anybody. You might feel repulsed
by it, but there's one iron rule that most people stand by when it
comes to yukkuri.

Yukkuris are food.

Everything else you apply after that is your own opinion. And as
such, you cannot force others to agree with you since there are no
"facts", only generally agreed upon consensus.

Family friendly stuff.... well, it is what it is. Fun to read or not,
it's really your opinion. I enjoy reading it sometimes.... but to be
quite honest, drama and abuse have far more elements they can utilize
than family friendly. Family friendly, by definition, cannot have
ANYTHING that hurts a yukkuri. That dramatically hurts the story even
if there is a happy disney end. It's like watching cartoon network,
minus all the violent gags.

In the end, I think yukkuris are just fun creatures that are great
material to work with creatively. I'm sure many other fanfic writers
and artists agree.

Poweryoga

Jan 5, 2011, 12:46:38 AM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Also, feel free to comment. This thread is created for Erfry but
certainly not limited to his responses.

Hourai

Jan 5, 2011, 1:29:01 AM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Well said. Quite a bit of how I've viewed yukkuri was touched on in
previous comments on this board, so I went ahead and copied them for
convenience:

"But a lot of what makes me angry with yukkuris are simply the
traits that disgust me in people. Being able to reason, to have faith:
it brings about a great capacity to perform evil, and internally not
recognize the act as evil. We judge with our own standards when
looking at the situations.

I think that's, personally, so interesting to me about yukkuris. A dog
can't REALLY commit murder. Or have the capacity for torture. Not by
our strictest definition, because there's no malice or thought, just
instinct. Yukkuri's aren't like that. In terms of the ability to
rationalize, they're closer to humans because of the ability to
reason. I mean, I think we've all met a real life Deibu before. I know
I certainly have (short of the killing, there's this one case that I'd
say the real human Deibu I knew rivaled the mother from the Selfish
Mother series).

Are yukkuris human? Absolutely not. But they aren't naive creatures
either. To reason is to introduce the ability to justify your own
actions. That, more than anything, is where some of the greatest
dangers arise. So what happens when the creature that can reason
doesn't have the intelligence or scope of sight to see more than what
they know? Well, that my friends is a yukkuri. Well, to me anyway :)"

So the above really touches on why I write yukkuri stories. And
something Yoga pointed out, that fan communities seem to really go
above and beyond the call of duty to deliver developments on things
that have no developments, is something that can really be seen in
yukkuri fanwork. I think of series like Yukkuri in the City, that
really deliver on a great narrative, or those freaky experimentation
stories that had the doctor surgically make a yukkuri human. That's
really something that's mind blowing! Even a lot of "abuse" stories
have actually gripping narratives.

Like, "Yukkuri no more". There's some powerful motivations there from
Alice in the story, and we see a really dark but complete end come as
a result.

high grade pet shop reimu: You know the first time I read it, I was
terribly frustrated, because of how much I sympathized with the Reimu
in the story. But I reread it when it got hard translated, and
reflecting back, the story is quite intriguing. Do I still feel bad
for Reimu? Absolutely, and that's part of the story. It's a story
where the Hero doesn't win. Sure, we can be bummed about that. But
quite a powerful story told, and one that is arguably one of the most
memorable.

Yukkurarium Family: Huge amounts of developments from redemption, to
vilifying to everything in between. A survival story, and one that
actually tells the story.

Of course, not all abuse stories are nearly this complete. As a
personal example, I was quite fond of Between Studies. As "yukkuri" as
the characters were, they got huge developments, transitioned well,
and from struggles you saw character. My biggest gripe is that it kind
of ended by just ending. In contrast, true happiness didn't deliver
for me. I could kind of see what was trying to be done: Setting up
scenarios that were over the top "cute" to the point of nauseating and
then turning that on its head. What I felt was wasted was that
basically only the last few pages delivered on that with the diapers
gag. To me, that was incomplete story writing.

But, of course, most often are the nature stories. Or, as I generally
see them, as a R-rated Disney animated movie that doesn't necessarily
end with the heroes winning.

Like: Removal of marisa's accessory. In reflection, I realized that
this was basically the first Toy Story. Except Woody kills Buzz
instead of them getting all buddy buddy. Not necessarily the happiest
ending, but the story is still there and quite believable.

So I guess what I'm saying, at least for me, is that a well written
story is a good read. For those one shot abuse pics? Well, depends.
Some do make me laugh. I equate it to the same black humor that causes
people to laugh at violence in cartoons or comic strips in general. Is
the detail of the "gore" dialed up? Yes, but it's the same principal.
Like on Simpsons with the in universe cartoon with the cat and mouse.
Did on occasion I find myself laughing with the children at something
that was actually kind of disturbing when taking "in context"?
*Shrugs*. It just happens. Just like how some people have asked how a
person couldn't find a picture cute. To be honest, many artist's
drawings of yukkuri don't look cute to me. They're just there. I
showed one of the people I work with that first drawing, with the
yukkuri saying "take it easy"? He literally said "I don't know why but
I just want to punt it". First gut reaction. Average everyday guy. I
look at how there were people who disliked Toy Story 3, or actually
liked The Last Airbender (Movie), and I realize that there's no
universals in preference. To assume there are, I feel, is a great
pitfall.

If it sounds like I only support abuse, then I honestly find that
rather ironic (anyone keeping up with my work would probably agree). I
support story writing. A story without conflict simply isn't going to
be a compelling story. The most child friendly shows and movies have
conflict. Quite a bit of it, actually. Yukkuri have the diversity such
that many many stories can be written without overlap and are inhuman
enough, in my opinion, that the violence doesn't look "gory". Take
their refreshing, for instance. Make Babies Easy is far too funny and
surreal for words. Taking it only by description, however, and it's
sick, vile, and a crime against nature. Only with yukkuris can that
story work.

MET

Jan 5, 2011, 6:29:45 AM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
First of all Erfry i'm JIE in OYP, just making clear that so you know
i'm not just some "random dude that only appears on YGF"

After my discovery of Shitheads and seeing the broad diversity of
yukkuri works, i started to see yukkuris as an interesting and dark
comedy deconstruct of the cute critters, but with a different approach
than the average, as you know usually the deconstructs of cute
critters in normal media are cute creatures that suddenly hulk up or
become monsters as part of a disguise, or in some dark comedy they are
actual cute critters but the deconstruction comes because of them
facing horrible scenarios with lottsa blood, guts and parts flying
around, but they still are cute critters and technically "good
fellas.".

Yukkuris are neither, they don't hulk up into a abomination that is
stablished to be it's true form fitting their true nature, and they
aren't "never do wrong and always good" cute critters fucked up by the
world, they are creatures that either are nice bouncing heads that are
fucked up by the world or, what makes them different from the other
deconstruct, are hideous creatures, capable of so much malice that
only gets enchanced with their combination of delusion, arrogance and
ignorance. Yet as i said, they don't become abominations, they remain
weak, small pathetic and either ugly/cute depending of various
factors, probably the closest thing for a "Abomination" would be the
Dosu, but it doesn't fit the idea i mentioned, since it's only a
bigger yukkuri, not an alternate form for the small and weak creature.
Also that struggle between good ones and bad ones is part of what
makes them so different from other deconstructs.

As i told you on OYP, why some abuse them in general without
discriminating? dunno, stress relief?, thinking all yukkuris are
evil?, for the lulz?, etc. I can't tell you for sure, some people just
like it, the same way some people like to play GTA with such a violent
approach that makes real life street gangs and mafias blush in
embarassment and look like just an angry mob. And as i told you, many
of us just like to abuse the shitheads and scum yukkuris, the same way
how in games like Fallout, some Justice Karma sided fellows like me,
enjoy dealing with douchebags and complete monsters if violent ways,
annoying ones depends of various factors but some people wouldn't mind
making them cry if they get annoying, yet, hadn't done anything
seriously bad, i think that depends mainly of how annoying the yukkuri
got and how dick or intolerant you can be to their tantrums.

Erfry

Jan 5, 2011, 7:26:17 PM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I think you all make very good points. However, my question, which
will probably always remain unanswered, is why did the fans invent
torture in the first place? What could've remained a small and
slightly odd-yet-cute (or annoying) meme exploded into the thing it is
today. I'm trying to approach this from a psychological,
anthropological perspective, as one of my greatest drives in life is
to discover the roots of how certain people act and behave. There is
no such thing as "There just is" when it comes to humans. So, the
question: Why create abyuse in the first place?

The answer might lie in the nature of the fandom. From what I've
gathered, most Touhou characters are relatively well-liked. However,
and my praise goes out to ZUN for this, the characters carry good and
bad qualities in abundance. However, most of the fandom focuses on the
good or mischievous qualities, and play the bad ones for laughs.
However, some fans grow unreasonably (unreasonably due to them being
fictional characters) angry to some of the characters due to the bad
stuff.
They want to do horrible things to them, but realize most of the
fandom would chase them out.

Enter Makako. Makako, in my opinion, did more to further the yukkuri
meme then anybody else. Her(?) stories defined the yukkuris as
mischevous but ultimately good critters. However, Makako made two
things that the angry fans of the Touhou fandom immediately caught on
to: She made them killable, and she made them pastries. Now, that last
bit was always sketchy to me, seeing how she mentioned it only once or
twice, and it may no of been a yukkuri she was referring to (or maybe
a special type of yukkuri). But, nonetheless, the fandom saw these
critters, and saw potential for stories exploiting their bad traits.
Early stories made by the older artists featured yukkuri being abused
by Yuyuko (for food) and by each other, due to differences in
appearance, like that old story with the mother Reimu with the baby
Alice that loved her. These earlier stories, however, almost always
ended on a bittersweet note, neither fully happy nor fully despairing.
Then, some artists began escalating the violence, like Clambonn.
Though I appreciate his excellent drawing style (cutest darn yukkuris
ever) he made the greatest strides in escalating the violence done to
yukkuris in stories, along with several other artists I can't name.
Over time, folks just kept adding more negative traits to yukkuri
nature until it eventually came to the point that, outside of one-shot
pictures, there were no friendly yukkuris. There is little that can
change this. However, I have been working on drawing yukkuris, and I
have enough confidence at this point to post my results next week. I
have noticed complaints that OYP has become unbalanced. I aim to
correct that by creating comics more in the vain of the earlier ones
(not 100% family-friendly, but there will be no total slaughter-fest.
Except if they're deibus. In that case, drop dead easy.).

In the end, signs point toward the psychological motivations of
abyusers as being:

-Amusement (Loony-Toon Factor)
-Sense of empowerment (a good portion of artists are probably pathetic
otaku who want to relieve their stress at their position in life)
-They're just crazy (perhaps a small percentage. For a good example,
remember Tagomer)

Poweryoga

Jan 5, 2011, 8:21:37 PM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Well, I actually think Makako's works did more to further abuse than
any artist. He who cast the first tone, in a sense. Clammabon and
other authors/artists are just riding on the waves after the
floodgates have been opened. The manjuu idea was just sort of a gag,
but 2ch loves stuff like this.

But you do have a good question: why abuse?

So lets take a step back and look at yukkuris. The earlier yukkuris
were simple creatures, all they do is go "Yu yu" and "take it easy".
They're fun to tease and poke around, kind of like how you'd tease a
little sister. Pinch its cheeks, etc. The earliest works reflect
this; tenkoma, warekara, etc.

Then the heavy abuse started. Clammabon, Amagin, DOS. Why all this
heavy stuff?

Lets side track a bit.

I personally think death is always a fascinating subject for humans in
general. After all, it is the closest thing to the unknown that
everyone inevitably faces at some point in their life (or at the end
of their life). And like I mentioned before, I believe the abuse
caters to the darker side of the human nature. There's always drama,
betrayal, maybe salvation and a JUSTICE end for some villain (shithead
Yukkuris). Some are plain "shit happens to good people" scenarios,
and some people like watching a train wreck happen in real time. It's
like watching Jersy Shore + real hosewives, except they kill each
other.

I think one term sums it up nicely... Morbid Curiosity.

From the standpoint of my abuser half, I will say yukkuris are akin to
stressballs. You do what you want to them, and nothing bad happens.
They're fictional and imaginary, and you always come out the "winner",
so to speak. You already mentioned the sense of empowerment as
well.

There's also the parallel of the newer Yukkuris being the embodiment
of bad traits we dislike. Greed, ignorance, lust, betrayal... etc.
Over the course of the past few years, they've steadily gained more
humanlike characteristics. Ability to speak, excretion, etc. So by
filling the yukkuri with bad traits, it feels like you're doing some
sort of justice by wiping it out from the face of the imaginary
world. Spice in an otherwise mundane day.

And the simplest reason...

Some people just like watching yukkuris get tortured or get hurt.
There's a little bit of a sadist in all of us.

Poweryoga

Jan 5, 2011, 8:24:30 PM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
As to "why create" abuse? Well... its drama, its a sense of
empowerment, its stress relief. Humans are known to be extremely
detached to things that don't resemble a humanoid form, so its a form
of entertainment. Why create a movie like SAW? It's so gory, so
gross, but yet there's 7 different sequels.

Like I said, I think for the most part it caters to an inner primal
sadistic nature all humans have.

MET

Jan 5, 2011, 8:28:17 PM1/5/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I honestly can say if you are spot on or not about what made people do
the first abuse pics, i usually see it as a smart thing that yukkuri
evolved in such a deconstruct of cute critters since it made them way
more unique than the average cute pics, but that's more a "resutl"
than a "motivation" to do it.

And OYP isn't really unbalanced per see, there are quite many FF pics
and such, but it's usually agreed that FF stories tend to be harder to
make, specially without touhous, and don't raise as much interest as
JUSTICE, nature or Abuse stories, but i still see quite many FF pics
around, but as you said, they are usually 1 shots since sooner or
later the "FF aspect" may stop people from making far more deep
stories, since the first sight of violence or such, technically kills
the "Family Friendly" Status, and many of the best non abuse stories
may have yukkuris facing misfortune and such, but at the end facing a
heartwarming end by human kindness or finding their true easy place.
Probably like many say "at the end FF is yukkuris prancing in the
hills and such, and technically while cute and all, they may not make
good stories like to make comics or fanfics" usually they work better
as 1 shots or a sequence of pictures without much story.

Erfry

Jan 6, 2011, 3:28:25 AM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
That's why I plan to change that. I'm working on a story at the moment
inspired by a short series of yukkuris breaking into a farm, the
farmer scolding them, making them weed the field, and giving them food
as a just reward for a just action. I liked how different that
scenario was, instead of the usual hair-pin temper that most people in
yukkuri-world have. It will also derive inspiration from the "fruit"
yukkuris who bring unfertilized fruit as peace offerings to humans.
Essentially, it will be a story about humans and yukkuri learning to
work together to achieve a common goal (food) and the yukkuris
learning how to function as a society as opposed to just wandering
bands that break up constantly. However, there will be some conflict
added, because I don't want a boring story. This, however, I'm not
going to make for a while. There's another story I plan on starting
first. Based on people's reactions, I will either continue as a story-
maker or just stick to being a one-shot artist. Expect the first pages
up sometime next week.

Tomorrow or Friday I'll be posting early pictures I made before I was
focused on making a story. Most will be of a generic variety, but a
guy's gotta start somewhere, right?

To get back to the topic, I agree that family-friendly stories are a
little stale. However, people enjoy them for the same reasons people
enjoy abuse: stress-relief and humor. What better to see after a grim
day at school or college then a cute family of yukkuris taking it
easy, or a yukkuri freaking out over tripping over a pebble? And, as
before, it's always nice to see clever stuff, like the picture I saw
once of a Youmu (or Chen, I forget) that had a valve stuck in her, for
easy removal of filling without killing her (look it up at
yukkuribooru under the tag "useful_yukkuri"). There's little thinking,
no tension, just something there to focus on and unwind with. That's
how I got into yukkuris. Although, to Tea, SUN, and whoever, I am not
anti-abuse. I had a hard time trying to convince them last night that
I'm not anti-abuse, and was just an inquiring mind. After looking
through the comments they've made over time I have come to the
conclusion that they are very un-easy (sorry, couldn't resist) people.
Could anyone inform me wise or otherwise? Have they always been like
this (my impression of SUN, who just can't seem to accept that there
are non-shithead yukkuri), or is it just the result of constant flame-
wars between PETY people and Wacko-Abusers eroding any sense of trust
with newcomers?(My impression of Tea) Anyway, I'm going back to
writing my story. Hope everyone gets some good rest tonight (if its
night where you live).

Hourai

Jan 6, 2011, 5:29:41 AM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations

To be frank, yes: most every person that tries to "prove a point"
completely just riles up people and will eventually just result in
insulting people directly or indirectly. Even consider your own post:
you implied that people who write comics must have something wrong in
the head, which implies that people who enjoy that sort of thing are
wrong in the head too. Isn't it pretty clear why people might take
offense? It's not surprising that people aren't trusting of new
posters (No need to explain or defend your action). Honestly, while
many newer users look at Tea as some hot headed abuse worshiping nut,
he has a history of being pretty fair, both telling off people
harassing FF readers and requesting that people try to post in peace.
I'm not saying that the fervor that he's recently been displaying is
right or not. But considering you were wondering what makes people
tick, well the main reason he's been so "defensive" is that pretty
much because people come screaming in with wild accusations based on
comments on an image board.

In general, I don't respond to those inquiries, because it's pretty
clear that the people who are posting cannot be reasoned with. It's
already set in their minds that regular posters at OYP are rude,
insane, murderous, and clearly sadists. And by arguing and responding
at all seems only to reaffirm that belief. The drama at OYP and other
boards pretty clearly illustrate how badly some people choose to
visualize people who read anything that isn't completely family
friendly yukkuri related. You being the first, and I think only,
person willing to read and respond calmly on the discussion board is
the only reason why I've decided to post at all. I don't believe, nor
want to convince you to enjoy anything you don't want to. But I'm
responding to maybe help explain why there's irritation.

Here's what bothers people: While fanon means that anything a person
writes is allowed in the "canon", dismissing something that is highly
prevalent can be seen as a number of things. There's not doing the
research, which indicates that the author didn't try too hard in
creating the work. There's outright dismissing works: Which could be
seen as unoffensive as just having a differing opinion to basically
considering the work or type of work to be "wrong". And there's
reporting as truth: which is a bit arrogant considering the fanon
nature.

In general, Abuse works don't dismiss any facts about the Yukkuri.
There are nice yukkuri that are abused. There are shitheaded yukkuri
that are abused. There are people that like yukkuri in the stories.
There are people who don't like them in the stories. There's a bunch
of biological exploration, and while it varies a little, more often
there's consistency. Behavior like yukkuri freaking out over accessory
loss, or all that is never dismissed out right, or there's a good in
story reason why it doesn't matter. Take Between Studies: When the
Marisa has her accessory ripped up, we can see why in this case, that
accessory loss didn't cause harmful intent from her sisters. It built
her character while keeping true to what's been established.

And I think that's where the "abuse oriented" commentors get irritated
about: a lot of non-abuse works dismiss many attributes about Yukkuri.
The "rapist" alice. Completely thrown out. Is it a necessary part of
the Alice persona? No, but it's prevalent enough that there's a clear
dismissal. Accessory obsession? Thrown out because yukkuri aren't
allowed to get violent or angry. "Deibu"? "Only a construct to
legitimize abuse" I believe was a quote given. PeniPeni and MamuMamu
are gone in favor of only rubrub because of the implications. Now, I
could care less about each of these. None of them are absolutely
essential on their own right. But all these things are things we see
as staples of yukkuri. Imagine if someone flat out dismissed that
yukkuri Reimu couldn't move her braids; Just considered that
completely unacceptable. Or that "stalk birth" is really gross and
shouldn't exist. How many works are they invalidating? And more
importantly, why?

So, do post your story! Best way of addressing something that's
missing or could be done better is by giving it a try yourself. It's
not a valid argument to tell someone "well could YOU do better?" But
taking the initiative a great way to get experience and "build
character" :) Every new writer brings a different perspective to the
table and can help build the "western" fanon. All that the readers
expect is for a well told story.

> read more »
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Moeman

Jan 6, 2011, 8:46:38 AM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I think a large part of the problem is how narrow FF is currently.
Maybe we need an intermediate level for things where yukkuri are
presented with danger, but it's not an out-and-out Gyuro fest. "The
forest's songstress" for example, Has contemplated murder, and a
yukkuri shown to have been abused, and I'm sure the typical animated
Disney movie has worse than that.

Hourai

Jan 6, 2011, 11:41:08 AM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
@anon: well, the reason Yoga created this thread wasn't to tell Erfry
off. Definitely wasn't what I was trying to do. I imagine it wasn't
what you were trying to do either (just as a FYI, anon kun isn't a
native english speaker. Nothing wrong with that, but as with all of
the non-native speakers here, sarcasm can often be misread as anger or
insults when none was meant. I think that's happened here before.)
Erfry is the only commentor I've seen that has been willing to come to
YFT to discuss it calmly. While there's nothing wrong with the FF
booru or abuse booru, or any number of places with yukkuri stuff,
shipping people off there doesn't really solve anything. I think
there's a lot of miss-communication and misinterpretation by readers.
On some level, everyone has an "exception". I find spiders disgusting,
but the way Charlotte in Charlotte's web was drawn and characterized
made that particular spider acceptable to me. Even people that "hate"
abuse or "hate" ff, I'm sure, have exceptions. Often, excuses are made
due to misconceptions (I actually like some FF/Abuse, but admitting
that makes my stance looks weaker, and I don't want to be associated
with THOSE people) and I think that's unfortunate.

anon kun

Jan 6, 2011, 12:30:01 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Did it sound offfensive?
Ops, no real intention there, I'm a nice guy. Especially to those who
are nice and reasonable, no matter their tastes or opinions.
I gotta confess that there was a little tip of sarcasm however, since
I doubt that someone who had browsed the past images, read the
comments and has proven to be receptive cannot realise that implying
"that guys who draw this are insane" can be offensive, and then wonder
why someone else get a bit vexed. It feels like he's acting oblivious
while i reality he's not.
I mean... am I the only one who spent the first days without posting
just because I believed that first I had to learn what was considered
suitable and what wasn't?

@Erfry: Before apologizing if you happened to read it, allow me to
rephrase in a more polite and friendly way: we accept any kind of
contribution, we gladly accept new fellows, we don't like a lot when
things get overheated because of someone's comments.
Those comments are basically based on the nature of our tastes, so
it's always a good idea to avoid this subject. Being the opinions long
and articulated, or insults and shouts... it's almost the same: they
tend to piss people off, so they should be avoided.

Since probably I haven't understood what your tastes are I won't talk
about that subject. Not that it really matters, actually.
The fact that you wonder about the reasons of yukkuviolence since the
manjus are nice, and right after your statement about "Except if
they're deibus. In that case, drop dead easy" leaves me completely
thoughtful since I think that there's a discrepancy in your reasoning.
Still, I recognise that this falls under the category "things that is
better not to mention" so I'll drop it right now. No need to ask about
this, if you'll happen to read some old comments here and there you'll
understand why.
I suggest you to check the various users profile before answering on
the various images on OYP: some guys are here since a while and did a
lot, and it's not cool when someone comes here to tell them that they
are unreasonable.
I suggest you not to judge people anymore since you are new and
probably don't know what they did in the past.
Both SUN and Tea are classy and reasonable guys who contributed a lot,
and often they had to manage comments that they did not deserve.

anon kun

Jan 6, 2011, 12:34:53 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Also, regarding the family friendly stories, I think it's possible to
write them without making them necessarly violent.

It's been a while since I asked myself if it was possible to write a
FF story who is not completely static - but at the same time without
any trace of violence... and I think it's achievable.
Once I started a story about a Reimu who was scared by the teapot's
whistle and her clumsy tentatives to reach the biscuits near the oven
without being caught by the unknown, mysterious predator. The story
ended in a quite funny way, and I think that it was dynamic enough.
Now, the story it's not here since when I write a story I only post it
if I feel that it's a story "that I'd like to read", and that one
didn't gave me that feeling...
But if we only consider the example, I think it's possible to write
things like that without being boring. Especially if you describe
normal objects like they are mysteryous and magical.
Not easy for sure, still I think it's possible.

MET

Jan 6, 2011, 3:18:55 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I think you may have something moeman, maybe we need something in the
middle, no_violent clearly won't do, maybe we should call it "Drama"
or something?

Skribulous

Jan 6, 2011, 6:56:26 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Until the "FF side" can agree that conflict is a natural part of life,
that's never going to happen.

From what I see in the fandom (from certain image boards and the FF
'booru), even something like My Neighbor Totoro can be considered non-
family friendly. It's that touchy. The moment something is added to
the scene that is dangerous or implied to be dangerous, it's no longer
family friendly.

An interesting comment I encountered in Youtube (yes, I am aware that
comment section in Youtube are toxic, but then so are the comments
section in OYP) has another angle that hasn't been brought up that
could be a reason for the divide (to paraphrase): "Yukkuri are cute
versions of Tohou, and no true fan would hurt yukkuri that are their
favorite characters. People who enjoy seeing yukkuri maimed and
killed are psychos who have no idea what Touhou is."

Then again, wasn't the popularity of yukkuri because it was a trolling
attempt at the Touhou fandom gone into an inexplicable direction? To
the point that some can say that Touhou itself is just an expansion to
the Yukkuri fandom, or how a certain commenter said it.

Anyway, my stance on all this is somewhere in the middle, like a lot
of us here. I don't really like abuse, but I would never count myself
among the FF crowd, especially the same zealots that would call for
the deaths of individuals as long as yukkuri themselves are unhurt in
stories. On the other hand, I find extreme violence (can we really
classify the decapitation, dismemberment, and/or mutilation of what
are basically animated food items guro?) distasteful, especially when
said violence is unwarranted (no JUSTICE makes me a sad dragon), even
though I do understand why. However, I am of the opinion that
conflict is necessary in stories, and what else is the easiest form of
conflict than physical violence? (For example, how else would you get
your True Gold and Platinum yukkuri in Raising Badged Yukkuri without
training and conditioning yukkuri, for instance?)

Which is why I continue lurking in the Yukkuri community, especially
in OYP. The stories are enjoyable, and I look forward to seeing more
stories from both sides of the ocean.

On than note, I'm still waiting for Poisonous Reimu and that
FemAnonXNitori-centric story by Fly in OYP, and more Fighting to Live/
Survival (and the kodosu story it was supposed to be prequel to), and
Yukkuri of War in the group.

Harouki

Jan 6, 2011, 7:14:21 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
And nothing from me? I ish sho shad...

=P

Maximusfive

Jan 6, 2011, 8:28:04 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations

> On than note, I'm still waiting for Poisonous Reimu

I think all of us are.
I say we should form a mob to hunt down Kodakueasy and whip him with a
wet noodle until he continues it! XP

Harouki

Jan 6, 2011, 8:44:14 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Wrong. Yuyu's the one doing Poisonous Reimu

Kodoku is doing 5/300 ways to kill a deibu as well as the isolation
experiment thing

Skribulous

Jan 6, 2011, 8:55:15 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Aww, I love your stuff, especially the one with the YukAnon, too. :3
(Though I intentionally left you out of the prodding list since you
did mention you'd like to take it easy with the next installments.)

Skribulous

Jan 6, 2011, 8:56:42 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I'd rather see KodokuEajy continue his Okuu story than either of his
other two. IMHO, they're rather bland.

Fly

Jan 6, 2011, 10:19:53 PM1/6/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
@ Skrib
Apologies for the delay. Being distracted by several things lately.
Will try to pump something out soon. :)

Maximusfive

Jan 7, 2011, 12:39:05 AM1/7/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations

> Wrong. Yuyu's the one doing Poisonous Reimu

D'OH!!!
Okay, we should chase down YUYU and give him fifty lashings with a wet
noodle then!

And I suppose I should call back the angry mob I dispatched to
Kodaku's place, shouldn't I?

Skribulous

Jan 8, 2011, 12:59:18 AM1/8/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I dunno, Yuyu might like that sort of abyuse.

Skribulous

Jan 11, 2011, 8:53:49 PM1/11/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
If you haven't been paying attention for the past few weeks, there's
been a rash of vandalism going on in OYP with a TAG****-happy
douchebag ABUSE IT EASY the open-ended nature of the 'booru image
repositories. You can't really guarantee the accuracy of tags, though
to be fair the majority of the community are making an effort. Still
doesn't really excuse all those pointless one-shot tags (as well as
unfinished series cluttering the boards because the creator is being
an intentional dick or just plain loses interest--but that's just my
pet peeve).

And yes, more Okuu (and other uncommon-to-rare yukkuri) are always a
good thing.

On that note, poor Kodaku, mobbed because someone mistyped the name of
their actual target. Then again, KodokuEajy would nuke then easy
unless you have a Flandre-anon in the group:
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4871
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4872
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4930
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/5017
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/5054
(For those not being Chen, yukkuri = angry mob, Okuu = KodokuEajy).

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Erfry <cica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Really? 'cause I've seen pictures with both "family_friendly" and
>"danger" tags. Guess it just comes down to what a tagger considers FF
>or not. And you're right, the FF maniacs need to calm down. Un-easy
>fans who can't take it easy are so un-city-sect *PUFF*.

Poweryoga

Jan 11, 2011, 9:13:34 PM1/11/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
If you have a tag history example I'll take a look.

MET

Jan 11, 2011, 10:06:55 PM1/11/11
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
What happened to KodokuEajy?