Yukkuri game survey

Tea

Jan 9, 2010, 4:24:30 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
G'day folks. As the name suggests, I'm here to ask some questions for
a game idea I've had wondering about for a while. It'll probably be a
very long while before I can start serious work on it due to work
commitments (and by very long, I mean long!) but I've been doing
tidbits here and there. Several things I need to know to tailor the
game better...

How much RAM do you have?
What's your processor?
The game will have a resolution of 1024 x 768. I assume by now, we're
all able to support such a resolution...

I can't say too much about the project because I haven't really done
much. But if you're wondering what I hope it'll turn out like, imagine
a demented cross between http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/3735?search=clammbon%20spin_me_right_round
and http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/13633?search=artist%3Asales_guy

I'll probably need some help, but I'll get round to that when I'm
taking it more seriously.

Cheers.

Toawa

Jan 9, 2010, 4:45:17 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Ahh, I love my BRAGGABLE system :)

AMD Quad Core X4 945
4 gigs RAM
nVidia GTX 275 running two screens (1280x1024, 1440x960?)
More HD space than you can shake a stick at...
All in a frickin' *nice* case (Coolermaster HAF 932) (I know,
irrelevant, but still.. Of course, if I had pet yukkuri, I fear it would
end up like http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4251)

Of course, I need big iron because besides gaming I also do development
work, so if you need any help programming...

Although when you said game, the first thing to pop into my mind was
http://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/2306; if you look in the file
there's a pic about possible future plans for it. I sometimes get
flashes of insight about how a Yukkuri AI would work, though I too have
too many commitments to put much into it right now.

Nezumi

Jan 9, 2010, 5:15:59 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Even though I have little interest in the actual game (for obvious
reasons), I'll toss my specs up too to help with the development.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core at 2.8 Ghz.

4 GB RAM -- although, due to video card RAM and the limitations of
Windows XP, only 3 GB can actually be used by the system; planning to
upgrade to Windows 7 to fix.

Actually, you've given me an idea for a yukkuri game -- though I'm
woefully unequipped to actually follow through on the idea. A yukkuri
raising sim. By providing both torture/murder and raising/care
options, it could appeal to both "abuse" and "non-violent" fans.

Thor_21

Jan 9, 2010, 6:40:10 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
4 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 9600GT
not bad i'd say

On Jan 10, 4:24 am, Tea <teama...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> G'day folks. As the name suggests, I'm here to ask some questions for
> a game idea I've had wondering about for a while. It'll probably be a
> very long while before I can start serious work on it due to work
> commitments (and by very long, I mean long!) but I've been doing
> tidbits here and there. Several things I need to know to tailor the
> game better...
>
> How much RAM do you have?
> What's your processor?
> The game will have a resolution of 1024 x 768. I assume by now, we're
> all able to support such a resolution...
>
> I can't say too much about the project because I haven't really done
> much. But if you're wondering what I hope it'll turn out like, imagine

> a demented cross betweenhttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/3735?search=clammbon%20spin_me_...
> andhttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/13633?search=artist%3Asales_guy

Tea

Jan 9, 2010, 7:33:22 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Quite braggable systems indeed! I shouldn't have too many worries on
the hardware fronts, and I suspect(ed) that most people who are
actually interested and would play such a game would have similar
setups. Thanks.

Funny you mention image 2306, as I'm currently using those sprites as
placeholders... a yukkuri AI would also be very interesting, and it's
something that was discussed when people were going about the first
yukkuri simulators... but is out of the scope for this game. I'm going
to sleep, but I guess if you're interested I can describe basic
gameplay mechanics and features when I return. The offer to help is
highly appreciated.

On Jan 9, 9:45 pm, Toawa <pap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ahh, I love my BRAGGABLE system :)
>
> AMD Quad Core X4 945
> 4 gigs RAM
> nVidia GTX 275 running two screens (1280x1024, 1440x960?)
> More HD space than you can shake a stick at...
> All in a frickin' *nice* case (Coolermaster HAF 932)  (I know,
> irrelevant, but still.. Of course, if I had pet yukkuri, I fear it would

> end up likehttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4251)

> Of course, I need big iron because besides gaming I also do development
> work, so if you need any help programming...
>

> Although when you said game, the first thing to pop into my mind washttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/2306;if you look in the file

Poweryoga

Jan 9, 2010, 8:28:48 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
My rig is similar to Thor's, but I have a radeon 4870HD instead.

I've been meaning to post something I have coded in C# but I was just
too lazy to pick it back up. It was a somewhat ambitious project to
learn C# and make a yukkuri project all at once, but ultimately I sort
of just lost motivation. A variety of things contributed to it's
decline, mainly some big problems I ran into with pre-existing renders
with the yukkuri models. I can post a screen shot but I had quite a
few ideas worked out a while back that I can post up if people are
interested. Prior to C# I had some stuff I made in Flash, but for a
lack of a non-pirated way to make the programs, I just sorta dropped
that platform. :P

-Yoga

On Jan 9, 7:33 pm, Tea <teama...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quite braggable systems indeed! I shouldn't have too many worries on
> the hardware fronts, and I suspect(ed) that most people who are
> actually interested and would play such a game would have similar
> setups. Thanks.
>
> Funny you mention image 2306, as I'm currently using those sprites as
> placeholders... a yukkuri AI would also be very interesting, and it's
> something that was discussed when people were going about the first
> yukkuri simulators... but is out of the scope for this game. I'm going
> to sleep, but I guess if you're interested I can describe basic
> gameplay mechanics and features when I return. The offer to help is
> highly appreciated.
>
> On Jan 9, 9:45 pm, Toawa <pap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ahh, I love my BRAGGABLE system :)
>
> > AMD Quad Core X4 945
> > 4 gigs RAM
> > nVidia GTX 275 running two screens (1280x1024, 1440x960?)
> > More HD space than you can shake a stick at...
> > All in a frickin' *nice* case (Coolermaster HAF 932)  (I know,
> > irrelevant, but still.. Of course, if I had pet yukkuri, I fear it would
> > end up likehttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/4251)
>
> > Of course, I need big iron because besides gaming I also do development
> > work, so if you need any help programming...
>

> > Although when you said game, the first thing to pop into my mind washttp://bbs.shii.org/yukkuri/post/view/2306;ifyou look in the file

Poweryoga

Jan 9, 2010, 11:30:34 PM1/9/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Another thing I'd like to point out was my initial idea was exactly
what Nezumi had in mind: a yukkuri raising sim. I wanted to add AI to
it as well (herd mentality, predators, Alice, koyukkuri relationships,
etc) but I figured the search tree would be overly complicated and be
very slow to calculate.

Toawa

Jan 10, 2010, 12:01:57 AM1/10/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Yeah, I'd be interested in looking at anything.

And I hear what you're saying about Flash. But I wouldn't be surprised
if Adobe opens it up like Sun did with Java and MS did with .NET and
Silverlight. (Especially since Silverlight is positioning itself as a
direct Flash competitor and you can download a free (albeit limited)
Silverlight development environment from MS...)

Moisés

Jan 10, 2010, 5:08:59 AM1/10/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I'm afraid my machine has some time and is a bit under the average:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2,2 GHz)
2GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8400M (128MB)

I also have thought of making a small raising sim game using GML, just
a small flowchart with love/abuse option, visual novel style.

-PTC

Poweryoga

Jan 10, 2010, 3:32:41 PM1/10/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Alrighty, I uploaded what my program looks like. I'm using XNA
studios and C# on visual studio 2008 to develop this, but ignore the
project name. (I was using poring models in the beginning for lack of
anything better)

Poweryoga

Jan 10, 2010, 10:05:36 PM1/10/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I forgot to mention, the picture is yu1.jpg in the files section.
I'll go ahead and up it on OYP Too.

Tea

Jan 11, 2010, 5:11:34 PM1/11/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Ah... it might be lacking right now, but it looks like it has the
potential to go far. Out of interest, what do you normally program in,
Poweryoga?

Speaking of programming languages, my day job doesn't involve
computers outside of using a word processor and some statistical
programs. A while ago, however, I was introduced to Game Maker by a
friend, and is what I intend to make the game in. The language it
uses, GML which Moises has mentioned, is pretty intuitive and easy to
learn... I've already made a few things in it. It also simplifies
making many of the basic building blocks of a game. I don't have the
time to learn a fully blown language, and GML is a good compromise...
GM isn't known for being very fast or efficient, hence why I was
concerned about hardware specs.

Poweryoga

Jan 11, 2010, 6:04:58 PM1/11/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I'm using C# and microsoft XNA SDK on visual studio 2008 for this
particular project. (programming on widnwos? gasp)

To be honest, I don't know GML or its capabilities. If its easy to
use and pick up then feel free, but I don't think any interpretative
language will be very robust when it comes to the operations it can
support. Also, depending on the type of game you're trying to make,
I'd look into some other languages such as python and pygame or even
flash.

Tea

Jan 11, 2010, 6:14:44 PM1/11/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I've taken a look at the alternates, but GML is the one that really
sticks out to me. To go kinda off topic, it's capable of some really
great stuff. There are some real stand-out games made using it, such
as Iji, Battleships Forever and the Zelda-esque Ark22. If you're
feeling bored these few days I heartily suggest them, heh. Of course,
there's a whole load of extremely horrid creations too...

Poweryoga

Jan 13, 2010, 1:40:12 PM1/13/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
That looks fairly interesting, and it seems decent enough for a 2d
programming scheme. Good luck on the project, feel free to post up
anything once you get started. Once I fix the camera controls I will
see if I can post up the game in its very raw form, hopefully by this
weekend.

Tea

Jan 13, 2010, 4:41:08 PM1/13/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Thanks. Best of luck to you too. I've already spent a little while
experimenting with a few features that I've got planned... I should
take the time to type up what I'm thinking of and get some feedback...

Tea

Jan 16, 2010, 6:32:14 PM1/16/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Now, for those who are interested in playing the game, I've finally
gotten round to typing up some of my basic ideas for it.

To put it all into context, a small portion of lame backstory is
needed. It's something along the lines of every year, a massive
worldwide "yukkuri battling" tournament is held, the winner gets lots
of money and their dreams fulfilled, etc etc. and you're entering etc.
So, from that you can probably guess it's some sort of demented
yukkuri deathmatching game. Basically, you have a pool of money/
points, from which you buy types of yukkuris. Each yukkuri has
different attributes, and a special ability. Out of the lot you buy,
you choose one to command, the rest get controlled by the AI... and
you then charge into battle against the enemy. No description other
than the two images I posted to begin with will suffice. If you win,
then congratulations, you can move onto the next stage of the
tournament. As you progress up the levels, the points you get and the
types of yukkuris available will increase.

I'm planning for "themed" arenas/levels, each of which will have a
unique set of dangers and obstacles. For example, Forest themed arenas
will have hunters that randomly pop up every now and then... several
reticles appear on the screen, and any yukkuri unfortunate enough to
be in one when the shots are fired get blown to pieces. Factory themed
arenas might have obstacles such as conveyor belts which screw up your
movement, or pieces of machinery that'll smash a yukkuri into the
ground. These kind of hazards are more complicated though, as I'd have
to make the AI aware of them and react accordingly. I'm also welcome
to new ideas on this part, it's quite sparse so far.

One important obstacle though, are "wild yukkuris". These are
basically yukkuris littered around the map, that aren't on a spin-top
and just get in your way. Some are more dangerous than others,
however. To give an example, yukkuri Cirnos will temporarily freeze a
game yukkuri that bashes into it.

I'm hoping to get a large variety of yukkuris usable in-game, but I'm
somewhat stumped as to what the unique characteristics of each one
should be. I've already come up with some basic ideas, which I'll
post. There are four basic attributes: Health, Speed (max speed),
Agility (manoeuvring speed) and strength (something like a damage/
attack multiplier...). Each one is rated on a scale of 1-10.
Obviously, the better the stats, the more expensive.

Reimu:
Health: 4
Agility: 5
Speed: 4
Strength: 3
Special: No clue. "Unun" drop, which basically acts like an oil slick
in racing games?
Points: 2

Marisa:
Health: 5
Agility: 3
Speed: 6
Strength:4
Special: No clue.
Points: 2

Alice:
Health: 4
Agility: 3
Speed: 4
Strength: 5
Special: Peni-peni gun. If a yukkuri gets hit by it, they'll lose a
little bit of health and their control/direction will go crazy until
the effect wears off (symbolised by a stalk growing and then falling
off?).
Points: 3

Patchouli:
Health: 2
Agility: 3
Speed: 3
Strength: 2
Special: Has a wide healing aura that slowly heals friendly yukkuris
inside it. Raises the health of the team slightly?
Points: 3

Remilia:
Health: 4
Agility: 4
Speed: 7
Strength: 6
Special: No clue. Gains health when bashing into other yukkuris?
Points: 5

Aya:
Health: 3
Agility: 7
Speed: 9
Strength: 4
Special: No clue.
Points: 5

... and more to come. This is quite a lot of work to do, and as I
said, I might not be able to do anything seriously for a while. But
it's best to brainstorm and get all the ideas flowing beforehand,
methinks. After about an hours work, I've set up a basic movement
system and wild yukkuri obstacles... I might post it up later. Art
wise I'd really like something similar to Clammbons... which is
probably why I spent 3 hours ripping out and adjusting sprites taken
from his pics |:

Moeman

Jan 17, 2010, 1:06:07 AM1/17/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I liked the bubble wrap one, I thought up a simple way to expand on
it, if anyone cares to pick it up.

First the interface would be changed so that instead of instantly
popping them when you click, three actions are possible. A click will
"poke" the yukkuri moving the mouse left and right while pressed will
"rub" and by moving down while pressed will press down on the yukkuri,
popping it after moving down enough.
These actions would effect three feelings that dictate an individual
yukkuri's mood. Happiness, anger, and fear.

Poking makes a yukkuri angry, rubbing will make a yukkuri happy.
Pressing down would likely be neutral, just serving as an extra
animation frame, and possibly a way to prompt a voice response based
on mood. crushing a yukkuri would obviously kill it, frightening other
yukkuri.

A yukkuri will start confused, and will revert to being confused when
you cause it to have mixed feelings.. A confused yukkuri would ask
"what's happening?" or "why won't my mister feet move?"

If happiness is high, it will naturally exclaim "take it easy!" or
comment how easy it's taking it. One yukkuri saying "take it easy"
might cheer up others.

An angry yukkuri might threaten, declare that it's getting angry, or
even puff up. A puffed up yukkuri might be easier to pop, popping
instead of having a "pressed down" frame.

A frigthened yukkuri would naturally scream, cry, say "I can't take it
easy like this" or "I wanna go home!"

If you really want to get into complex emotions, an envy stat where
other yukkuri become envious of others you pet, asking to be pet
themselves, and getting angry if ignored.

Poweryoga

Jan 17, 2010, 2:35:39 PM1/17/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
@ Tea

That sounds like an interesting idea, but what sort of system would it
be using? RPG-esque, danmaku, 2d-sidescroller? Maybe it's better if
you open up your own thread so we can consolidate ideas better.

@moeman

You know, for a little while I actually did look into the yukkuri
bubble wrap game. However, without the source fla file I could only
reverse engineer it, and the game didn't work after the reverse-
engineering. Not to mention I know absolutely squat about flash so
all I really did with twiddle with some of the settings a bit... I
think the bubble wrap flash originated from 4chan. If the guy is
still there and we can somehow manage to get a hold of the flash
files, then yeah... completely possible to add new features to it.
Otherwise you'd need someone with flash knowledge in order to
replicate the game.

Tea

Jan 17, 2010, 3:32:53 PM1/17/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Aha, perhaps I should open a thread of my own... I originally intended
to use this one, but it's grown into more of a general game discussion
thread.

On the subject of the bubble wrap game though, it was over a year ago
that it was posted and to my knowledge that was the only version.
Unfortunately, it's going to be very unlikely that the guy who
originally made it will still be there. And it doesn't help that he
was going by the general name of Anonymous...

Moeman

Jan 17, 2010, 6:41:56 PM1/17/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I was under the impression that flash was easy to mess with if you
loaded it into the editor.

Maybe I should go ahead and try to draw frames anyway, it's something
to work on to keep me drawing. And then it'll be ready if anyone cares
to do something like start a new variation from scratch. No
guarantees, I'm bad at getting drawing done.

Poweryoga

Jan 18, 2010, 12:41:39 AM1/18/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
@moeman

Flash, like all programming languages, is rather hard to decompile if
you don't have the original source code. The source code is a .fla
file with a few project additions, and the compiled results is
the .swf file we're all so familiar with. It depends on the quality
of the decompiler and I didn't find one that could successfully
decompile the .swf file and recompile it back correctly. Also, like I
said, I don't know flash. If I did decompile the .swf file correctly,
I certainly wouldn't know its ass from its head... unfortunately.

To be fairly honest I'm a bit tied at the moment, and I can barely get
any story writing/translating time in much less learn a new
language. :P

Toawa

Jan 18, 2010, 12:47:04 AM1/18/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Yeah.. In the old days it might have been easier (back when Flash
couldn't do that much), but Flash is now as much a compiled language as
Java/C#/etc. Unless you go out of your way to make it decompilable, it
won't work out well.

Tea, I'll look over your big letter and come up with some thoughts, but
it might be a bit; I'm reaching the end stage of a phase of my current
project, so I can't really devote the kind of deep thought that this
deserves...

Isra

Feb 22, 2010, 12:24:09 AM2/22/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I found in a thread in Futaba Channel an URL about an interactive
Flash animation about screaming beans, it would be perfect for a
Yukkuri abuse game
http://www.simonpanrucker.com/beans.html

aozf05

Mar 20, 2010, 8:10:02 AM3/20/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
How is this game stuff going?

Tea

Mar 20, 2010, 8:31:05 AM3/20/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
Unfortunately I haven't had much time to directly work on anything
yukkuri-related due to my work and research. I've been trying to
marathon GML in my spare time, but I find programming difficult, more
so than I expected. I'm thinking of leaving the yukkuri battler idea
for now and instead moving to make a yukkuri RTS mod, as modding is an
area I'm much more familiar with. Currently looking at either using
RA1 or the SPRING project engine.

Poweryoga

Mar 21, 2010, 10:59:41 AM3/21/10
to Yukkuri Fanfic Translations
I've been doing mostly translations in my spare time so I haven't done
much for my project. I fixed the GUI and fixed the camera rotation
(debugging purposes only so the camera's not smooth) so I can see
clipping problems, and I'm working now on the menu items now. It's a
far cry from what I intended it to be, but there will likely be very
little progress on this until I finish the DOS in the City series.