The ActionScript 2 Chromeless Player and Monetized Videos

Jeffrey Posnick

Oct 25, 2010, 5:24:02 PM10/25/10
to YouTube APIs Announcement Forum
The ActionScript 3 Player APIs, both in the chromeless and embedded
variety, have been available for use since last October. When we
released the ActionScript 3 APIs, we announced the deprecation of the
ActionScript 2 equivalents. As per our deprecation policy, we will
keep the ActionScript 2 Player APIs running through October of 2012;
however, we wanted to announce a change in the videos available for
playback that will affect those still using the ActionScript 2
chromeless player.

As of early January, 2011, some videos that YouTube and our content
partners would like to monetize will not be playable using the
ActionScript 2 chromeless player because it does not have the ability
to show ads. If you attempt to play back such a video, an onError
event will be fired, as documented in the ActionScript 2 Player APIs
reference guide (http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/
flash_api_reference_as2.html#Events). As a developer, you can handle
this event and play an alternate video, or display an explanatory
message to your users.

Please note that this change only affects playback in the ActionScript
2 chromeless player. If you are using the ActionScript 2 embedded
player (i.e. the official YouTube player with built-in controls) or if
you’ve already upgraded to one of the ActionScript 3 players, you can
continue to play the same video content you can play today. Also note
that you might be using the the ActionScript 2 chromeless player
indirectly if you’re using a third-party custom video player to play
back YouTube content. Please reach out to the provider of your custom
video player if you’re not sure whether this change will affect you.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, YouTube API Team

Jeffrey Posnick