Change to disallow framing youtube.com

Jeffrey Posnick

Jan 11, 2011, 4:30:01 PM1/11/11
to YouTube APIs Announcement Forum
Hello YouTube API Developers,

This Wednesday, January 12, the YouTube.com web team will be
implementing a change to prevent websites from including the www.youtube.com
website on their pages via an <iframe> (or <frame>). Following this
change, an <iframe> pointing to www.youtube.com will cease to display
the YouTube web site, and instead will display a blank page.

While this change isn’t directly related to the YouTube API, we did
want to announce this change in advance on the off-chance any YouTube
API developers out there do include www.youtube.com on their site’s
pages via frames. We also wanted to make clear that this change is not
meant to affect the official <iframe> YouTube video embed API
(described at http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/07/new-way-to-embed-youtube-videos.html),
which should remain fully operational. It is only intended to affect
non-embed API usage.

If you’ve been including www.youtube.com on your pages because you
were not sure how else to embed videos, this YouTube Help article
details the official methods of embedding:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=171780

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, on behalf of the YouTube.com web team