Yoruba Affairs - Re: Fwd: RE: Yoruba Affairs - Yoruba Hymn

Ibukunolu Alao Babajide

Apr 30, 2008, 8:13:16 PM4/30/08
to yorubaaff...@googlegroups.com, yoruba...@googlegroups.com, gbra...@juno.com

Dear all,

For the benefit of the information requester, I cannot add anything to the erudite responses we have been given to date but what I will attempt with great trepidation is a translation of the lyrics.  I do this with my rather limited handle on a language as resonating and as deep as Yoruba.  I urge all who find my translation inelegant ore wrong to weigh in and correct me.  Thanking you all in advance for your input.

IBK

Solo: Ise Oluwa

God's work (Sometimes rendered as "Ohun Oluwa se" What God has done)

Chorus: Ko le baje o

Cannot be spoilt (Could also render as It is permanent as in not changeable)

Solo: Ise Oluwa

God's work (Sometimes rendered as "Ohun Oluwa se" What God has done)

Chorus: Ko le baje o

Cannot be spoilt (Could also render as It is permanent as in not changeable)

Solo: Aye fe ko baje o, k'awon ba yo

The world wants it spoilt so they may be happy (May also be rendered as People want it spoilt so they can rejoice)

Chorus: Ko le baje o

Cannot be spoilt (Could also render as It is permanent as in not changeable)

Solo: Esu fe ko baje o, k'awon ba yo

Satan wants it spoilt so they may be happy (May also be rendered as Satan want it spoilt so people can rejoice)

Chorus: Ko le baje o

Cannot be spoilt (Could also render as It is permanent as in not changeable)

Solo: Ise Jehofa, ise Emi Mimo

Jehovah's work, holy spirit's work (Sometimes rendered as "Ohun Jehofa/Emi mimo se" What God has done)

Ise ti Baba wa ti se

The work that our father has done

Chorus: Ise Jisesi, Ise Emi Mimo

Jisesi's work, holy spirit's work

Ise ti Baba wa ti se

Work our father has done

Aye fe ko baje o, k'awon ba yo

The world wants it spoilt so they may be happy (May also be rendered as People want it spoilt so they can rejoice)

Ko le baje o

Cannot be spoilt (Could also render as It is permanent as in not changeable)

Ase. Amin o

Amen. So be it or so shall it be.

Apr 30, 2008, 9:37:52 PM4/30/08
to yorubaaff...@googlegroups.com, yoruba...@googlegroups.com, gbra...@juno.com

IBK,

Great translation. You may however want to capitalize the "f" in father in the seventh line from the bottom to "Work our Father has done". This would infer a reference to a heavenly father the way "Baba" does in the Yoruba version.

Ise ti Baba wa ti se

Work our father has done

Best regards,

Adeniran Adeboye