The Best Note-Taking Tools

barstep

Jul 30, 2008, 1:09:12 AM7/30/08
to Yojimbo Talk
Life Hacker is running a list for best Note-Taking tools

http://lifehacker.com/399484/best-note+taking-tools

So far Yojimbo has not been mentioned but Evernote is riding high.

I'm moving a lot of my notes into The Cloud so Yojimbo is beginning to
be less useful to me - I never thought I'd be saying this but Evernote
looks like the future for my needs now.

But YOU may still want to vote for Yojimbo on Life Hacker's list

Barrie

mkrzych

Jul 30, 2008, 1:46:54 AM7/30/08
to Yojimbo Talk
Well it is sad, because Yojimbo is a great application to organize
your thought and working on small projects, but it is little bit old
and really need refreshment.
Hey Barebones, where are you? Don't loose customers ;-) Show us
something.

Love the app,
Krzysztof Maj

primeminister

Jul 30, 2008, 9:54:19 AM7/30/08
to Yojimbo Talk
Yep. I have the same. Looks like BareBones is a little dead. Even the
latest news is more than 6 month ago.
I'm looking for a simular tool (passwords, serialno, notes, PDF) on
mac and even for the web.
Anybody a sugestion? ;)

Steve Kalkwarf

Jul 30, 2008, 10:13:12 AM7/30/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:54 AM, primeminister wrote:

> Yep. I have the same. Looks like BareBones is a little dead. Even the
> latest news is more than 6 month ago.
> I'm looking for a simular tool (passwords, serialno, notes, PDF) on
> mac and even for the web.
> Anybody a sugestion? ;)

We don't ship new Yojimbo releases daily, and won't share our product
roadmaps and calendars with the public. So what? The last time I
needed Yojimbo (about an hour ago) it seemed to work just fine.

We have more than one product, fewer than infinite engineering
resources, and speaking for myself only, less and less patience for
trolls.

Let's use this list to discuss Yojimbo, not to have another flame war.

Steve

Robert Occhialini Jr.

Jul 30, 2008, 12:41:45 PM7/30/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:54 AM, primeminister wrote:

> Yep. I have the same. Looks like BareBones is a little dead. Even the
> latest news is more than 6 month ago.
> I'm looking for a simular tool (passwords, serialno, notes, PDF) on
> mac and even for the web.
> Anybody a sugestion? ;)

I have a suggestion. Making statements like the above is not in the
best interest of this list and it's members. Here's why. Over time,
Bare Bones will start taking this list less seriously, if people are
continually beating them up on it without any stated or specific or
legitimate reason. Things like making specific suggestions are "for
the win" as they say. Keeping the signal to noise ratio
appropriate will help everyone. Complaining for the sake of
complaining accomplishes nothing.

If you are unhappy with the frequency of updates, or BareBones
posting frequency, that seems like it is your issue unless you can
show me where Bare Bones set your expectations differently.

Robert Occhialini

Mark Smith

Jul 30, 2008, 2:25:54 PM7/30/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com

// risks a short opinion piece...

I think this issue requires understanding on both sides and has to do
with the fact that like it, or not, agree with it, or not, the BB
approach is rare for small devs nowadays. I am perfectly happy with it
regarding BBEdit and Yojimbo because (occasional syncing problems
(surely Apple bugs) aside), neither of them cause me problems and I've
been "around" since '91. I have to admit that it used to drive me
batty with Mailsmith though, because I was aching for missing features
and all the other clients were shit. (I've left it behind now. I miss
it. Life goes on.)

So, although I agree with Robert, I also understand with the
complainers (though the language is often OTT), not because I think
Yojimbo is weak, or lagging, but because the environment produces the
expectations they express and it takes a cool (old? experienced?) head
to "get" the BB approach, when it appears on the surface in this
instant everything world to be "out".

Both approaches can work well. Users just need to tailor their
expectations accordingly. BB shouldn't take the list less seriously
because of such complaints and I doubt they do.

Mark

Dennis Whiteman

Jul 30, 2008, 2:57:46 PM7/30/08
to Yojimbo Talk
We should consider ourselves lucky that Bare Bones is so responsive to
this list. Lots of developers, small and large, aren't don't devote
any resources to post-sales support. When I posted a few weeks ago
about being able to duplicate records, within a very short time
someone from Bare Bones responded with a way to do exactly that. I'm
sure they're also looking into how to make that feature more intuitive
or at least add it to the help documentation in the next release since
someone asked.

You ever try to figure something out with Adobe? I spent an hour on
the phone and another hour or so responding to e-mails just to
transfer a CS2 license I sold a few months. Had I known I was going to
spend so much time dealing with transfer issues, I would either have
charged more or not bothered. That doesn't even include that I spend
several months figuring out why Photoshop was crashing on me and the
only real respond I got from Adobe is "Leopard sucks! Go back to
Tiger."

There isn't much more that I want from Yojimbo as it does pretty much
what I bought it for. I'd still like to be able to sync between two
Macs without going through .Mac/MobileMe, but I've since moved my
installation to my laptop and my work situation is different so it's
much less of a big deal than when I was traveling more.

Really, we're talking about a $39 product which has definitely made my
life better...

Dennis

mwiik

Jul 31, 2008, 8:37:25 AM7/31/08
to Yojimbo Talk
When I saw evernote, I said hmmm. Opened Photo Booth. Took a photo of
a 3x5 card with notes. Flipped it since it's mirrored (then set Photo
Booth to auto-flip). Dragged the photo into Yojimbo. Tagged it 'card'
and something more specific. Now my 'hipster PDA' archive is in
Yojimbo.

My biggest wish for Yojimbo is to enable QuickLook for pdf's

-Mike

barstep

Jul 31, 2008, 2:37:17 PM7/31/08
to Yojimbo Talk
When I started this thread there was no ulterior motive or jibe
intended - I was simply alerting Yojimbo fans to the existence of the
Life Hacker poll and added my own observation of how data is moving
into The Cloud. I'm a big fan of Yojimbo - but life is changing and
perhaps it's someone elses turn to be the maker of the "favourite note
taking app". Unless .......

Barrie

Krzysztof Maj

Jul 31, 2008, 4:00:33 PM7/31/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com

On 2008-07-31, at 20:37, barstep wrote:

> When I started this thread there was no ulterior motive or jibe
> intended - I was simply alerting Yojimbo fans to the existence of the
> Life Hacker poll and added my own observation of how data is moving
> into The Cloud. I'm a big fan of Yojimbo - but life is changing and
> perhaps it's someone elses turn to be the maker of the "favourite note
> taking app". Unless .......

That's exactly the point :-)

> On Jul 31, 1:37 pm, mwiik <maw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I saw evernote, I said hmmm. Opened Photo Booth. Took a photo of
>> a 3x5 card with notes. Flipped it since it's mirrored (then set Photo
>> Booth to auto-flip). Dragged the photo into Yojimbo. Tagged it 'card'
>> and something more specific. Now my 'hipster PDA' archive is in
>> Yojimbo.
>>
>> My biggest wish for Yojimbo is to enable QuickLook for pdf's
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> On Jul 30, 1:09 am, barstep <bars...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Life Hacker is running a list for best Note-Taking tools
>>
>>> http://lifehacker.com/399484/best-note+taking-tools
>>
>>> So far Yojimbo has not been mentioned but Evernote is riding high.
>>
>>> I'm moving a lot of my notes into The Cloud so Yojimbo is
>>> beginning to
>>> be less useful to me - I never thought I'd be saying this but
>>> Evernote
>>> looks like the future for my needs now.
>>
>>> But YOU may still want to vote for Yojimbo on Life Hacker's list
>>
>>> Barrie

Krzysztof M.
There is no place like ::1

keith

Aug 5, 2008, 3:46:37 PM8/5/08
to Yojimbo Talk

On Jul 30, 10:13 am, Steve Kalkwarf <kalkw...@barebones.com> wrote:

> We don't ship new Yojimbo releases daily, and won't share our product
> roadmaps and calendars with the public. So what? The last time I
> needed Yojimbo (about an hour ago) it seemed to work just fine.

This crappy attitude towards your loyal customers is why so many of us
are so unhappy.

Scott J. Lopez

Aug 5, 2008, 4:11:44 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
why is this a crappy attitude? he's exactly right.

i needed to clip a web page a few hours ago. yojimbo worked.

i dropped about 20 pdf's into yojimbo over the past 2 days. it worked
just fine then too..

his point is. it isn't broken. yojimbo works just fine. no glaring
bugs, it works exactly as intended, with the functions clearly stated
on the web pages and hell you can even try it out as a demo.

NO ONE has a right to claim "well i thought it would do XXX"

with all the whiners please go form their own list so they can bitch
to themselves, leave the rest of us to talk about how we LIKE yojimbo.

David G. Simmons

Aug 5, 2008, 4:28:33 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. Nothing but fanbois allowed here! If you have a problem with
something, STFU. seriously, you bought a right to use license, not a
right-to-complain license.

Seriously, the "shut up and quit whining" crowd is JUST as annoying
(more so in many ways) than the "it doesn't do X" crowd.

A couple of points as I see it:
1) People have a right to complain here.
2) Your delete key works, I suspect.
3) If it works perfectly for you, great. Don't complain, but don't
try to silence others.

Thanks,
dg

Jehan Alvani

Aug 5, 2008, 4:33:33 PM8/5/08
to Yojimbo Talk
> A couple of points as I see it:
>         1) People have a right to complain here.
>         2) Your delete key works, I suspect.
>         3) If it works perfectly for you, great. Don't complain, but don't
> try to silence others.

Seems to me that this is one of the points of the list. Request
features, and discuss issues, and share creative uses. It's not just
to leghump Yojimbo.

David G. Simmons

Aug 5, 2008, 4:38:05 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com

That was worth it all right there! I *actually* laughed out loud!

Thanks.

dg

Rich Siegel

Aug 5, 2008, 4:40:27 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On 8/5/08 at 4:28 PM, sant...@gmail.com (David G. Simmons) wrote:

>1) People have a right to complain here.

Not according to the list description. :-)

<http://groups.google.com/group/yojimbo-talk/about>

Folks, out of respect for those who are interested in discussing
Yojimbo's existing features and how to make the most of them,
please continue (or start) any arguments regarding policy or
list etiquette off-list.

Thank you,

R.
--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <http://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they
sedate me.

Scott J. Lopez

Aug 5, 2008, 4:48:52 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
it's one thing to request features. it's something else to whine about
lack of sub-folders, lack of iphone version, lack of web version,
etc. we've heard it all before.

Curtis Almond

Aug 5, 2008, 5:31:04 PM8/5/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
My general issue with barebones is that I often look at other products to see what features they offer.  Those products either release updates often or blog/tweet/email about what is coming.  I like that.

Yojimbo is good, it does work, but I want to see what innovative new stuff could be done to make this kind of app even better.  Barebones does not share that info and according to company history (below) for this year is not making updates or is working on such a large change to every product they offer that will shut us all up soon :-)  I would love to see barebones open up about what they are doing.

Bare Bones Software, Inc. was founded in May 1993, and incorporated in June 1994. We are a privately-held corporation based in Bedford, Massachusetts. Our mission is to produce best-of-class software for the Mac that incorporates state-of-the art engineering techniques and takes advantage of the latest system software technologies.

2008

  • February 5: Yojimbo 1.5.1 update released
  • January 15: TextWrangler 2.3 released with many significant enhancements

2007

  • December 19: BBEdit 8.7.2 maintenance update released
  • December 19: Super Get Info 1.3.1 update released for Leopard support
  • December 5: Yojimbo 1.5 offers image support and dramatically faster search!
  • October 31: BBEdit 8.7.1 maintenance update released
  • August 2: BBEdit 8.7 update released with many new features and enhancements!
  • April 19: BBEdit 8.6.2 maintenance update released
  • March 14: Yojimbo 1.4.2 update released
  • February 20: Yojimbo 1.4.1 update released
  • February 15: BBEdit 8.6.1 maintenance update released
  • February 15: TextWrangler 2.2.1 maintenance update released
  • January 9: BBEdit 8.6 update brings a cornucopia of enhancements and language updates!
  • January 9: Yojimbo 1.4 update offers extensive AppleScript support!
  • January 9: TextWrangler 2.2 released with major interface overhaul and over 100 new features!

2006

  • December 4: BBEdit 8.5.2 maintenance update released
  • November 9: Yojimbo 1.3 released with tagging support and many other enhancements!
  • October 12: BBEdit 8.5.1 maintenance update released
  • September 6: BBEdit 8.5 released with Code Folding, Clippings, and much more!
  • June 20: TextWrangler 2.1.3 maintenance update released
  • June 13: Super Get Info 1.3 released as a Universal version
  • June 6: Yojimbo 1.2 update includes new "Copy Link" command and other enhancements
  • June 1: BBEdit 8.2.6 maintenance update released
  • March 13: TextWrangler 2.1.2 maintenance update released
  • March 9: Yojimbo 1.1 update released
  • March 6: BBEdit 8.2.5 maintenance update released
  • January 22: Yojimbo 1.0 released—an effortless, reliable information organizer for Mac OS X!

2005

  • November 22: BBEdit 8.2.4 maintenance update released
  • August 10: BBEdit 8.2.3 released, runs as a Universal Binary for the Apple Developer Transition Kit
  • July 6: TextWrangler 2.1 update released
  • June 22: BBEdit 8.2.2 update released
  • May 11: BBEdit 8.2.1 maintenance update released
  • April 28: BBEdit 8.2 adds support for Automator, the new personal automation assistant in Mac OS X 10.4
  • March 28: BBEdit 8.1 adds support for Subversion, enhancements to Text Factory and more
  • March 9: Mailsmith 2.1.5 update released
  • March 3: Super Get Info 1.2.2 update released
  • January 11: TextWrangler 2.0 adds HTML syntax coloring, Documents Drawer, Shebang Menu, SFTP support and much more

barstep

Aug 5, 2008, 5:38:27 PM8/5/08
to Yojimbo Talk
I didn't start the fire - it was always burning since the world was
turning.

But perhaps this glass of water will dampen the flames for a time.

Cool it guys - as I started this thread can I now respectfully ask
that this discussion be closed.

Ta

Barrie

On Aug 5, 10:31 pm, "Curtis Almond" <cjalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>    - January 22: Yojimbo 1.0 released—an effortless, reliable information
>    organizer for Mac OS X!
>
> 2005
>
>    - November 22: BBEdit 8.2.4 maintenance update released
>    - August 10: BBEdit 8.2.3 released, runs as a Universal Binary for the
>    Apple Developer Transition Kit
>    - July 6: TextWrangler 2.1 update released
>    - June 22: BBEdit 8.2.2 update released
>    - May 11: BBEdit 8.2.1 maintenance update released
>    - April 28: BBEdit 8.2 adds support for Automator, the new personal
>    automation assistant in Mac OS X 10.4
>    - March 28: BBEdit 8.1 adds support for Subversion, enhancements to Text
>    Factory and more
>    - March 9: Mailsmith 2.1.5 update released
>    - March 3: Super Get Info 1.2.2 update released
>    - January 11: TextWrangler 2.0 adds HTML syntax coloring, Documents
>    Drawer, Shebang Menu, SFTP support and much more

John W

Aug 6, 2008, 10:58:27 AM8/6/08
to Yojimbo Talk
That's sad. If it's all been heard before and barebones doesn't react/
care... well... I do agree that complaining is useless. I just stopped
using yojimbo. since barebones doesn't care to grow the feature set
and keep up with the times, I'm moving on. the complainers are welcome
to do the same, and the fanboys can discuss work arounds til they're
blue in the face. everyone wins.

DavidA

Aug 6, 2008, 2:27:12 PM8/6/08
to Yojimbo Talk
When I did my research for apps to help my organize notes, documents
and stuff like that, I based my decision on the _features in the
shipping versions_ of each app. It seems some people picked Yojimbo
even though it didn't have features they needed and are now
complaining because Barebones isn't responsive to their requests. It
would be one thing if Barebones announced these features and then
changed their mind, but I see no evidence of that happening.

That said, one thing I _didn't_ research was Barebones' attitude and
involvement with their user community, and based on some of the posts
I've seen on this list (and the lack of other posts), I'm slightly
less inclined to buy any of their other products.

David G. Simmons

Aug 6, 2008, 3:00:29 PM8/6/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 6, 2008, at 2:27 PM, DavidA wrote:

> That said, one thing I _didn't_ research was Barebones' attitude and
> involvement with their user community, and based on some of the posts
> I've seen on this list (and the lack of other posts), I'm slightly
> less inclined to buy any of their other products.

+1

And a private email exchange with a BB rep has only deepened that
feeling on my part. When a co-worker asked about an entirely
different piece of BareBones software the other day, I had to
recommend against it based solely on their "attitude and involvement
with their user community."

Contempt for customers is so 80's. Treating your customers like
petulant children is just unacceptable in ANY decade.

dg
--
David G. Simmons
Staff Engineer, SunLabs

J. Stewart

Aug 6, 2008, 5:32:40 PM8/6/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
I don't normally do things like this but enough is enough! The
people currently abusing this list need to give the rest of us a
break and stop!!! Do you know how this drivel sounds? Just like
a three year old having a tantrum because it isn't getting its
way. BBSW lives by their stated policy and their tech support is
amongst the best. The complaints you have aren't because of BBSW
they are because of your unrealistic and unjustified expectations.

This list is about using Yojimbo and nothing else. Please get
back on topic or if that's impossible for you, leave.

Now if any of you feel an overwhelming desire to respond to this
email, don't, repeat, don't do it on the list. My address is
right on top, use it and my replies will come via another BBSW product.

John
--
You can get more with a simple prayer and a Thompson
sub-machinegun than you can with a simple prayer alone.  -John Dillinger

Bill Rowe

Aug 6, 2008, 11:13:17 PM8/6/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On 8/6/08 at 7:58 AM, john....@gmail.com (John W) wrote:

>On Aug 5, 2:48 pm, "Scott J. Lopez" <scot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>it's one thing to request features. it's something else to whine
>>about  lack of sub-folders, lack of iphone version, lack of web
>>version, etc. we've heard it all before.

>That's sad. If it's all been heard before and barebones doesn't
>react/ care... well... I do agree that complaining is useless.

Posts and response made by Barebones staff clearly indicate they
do care. But having said that, it clearly strains the patience
of anyone to hear complaints that are nothing more than
complaints with no real specifics that seem more like whining
than anything else.

>I just stopped using yojimbo. since barebones doesn't care to grow the
>feature set and keep up with the times, I'm moving on.

Barebones has made it abundantly clear they have a particular
vision in mind for software they create and they will simply not
add features that aren't in line with that vision. Simply adding
features due to "popular demand" leads to feature bloat and
software like Microsoft Word. This characteristic of not just
adding features is one of the characteristics that I for me
makes Barebones software much superior than other software.

But I can understand for some purposes, a lack of a certain
feature may mean you just can't accomplish what you want with
their software. In that instance, the only real choice is to use
other software and as you say "move on".

PoorBC

Aug 7, 2008, 12:55:39 PM8/7/08
to Yojimbo Talk
I'm puzzled about why someone would use the support group, but not the
product. Seems odd...

J. Stewart

Aug 7, 2008, 5:19:06 PM8/7/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On 8/7/08 at 12:55 PM, PoorBC <bruce....@gmail.com> spake thusly:

Because it's the same behavior seen in very young children when
their parental unit says No! They stamp their feet, scream at
the top of their lungs and generally make everyone around them
miserable until they are sent to their rooms.

IMHO, if someone is posting to this list and not using Yojimbo,
they don't belong here. If they are dumb enough to post that
info to the list they should probably be removed from it immediately.

For what it's worth -

I use Yojimbo and love it. It does everything BBSW said it would
and does it well.

I've never had a problem with any BBSW software that wasn't
promptly dealt with when I contacted Support.

David G. Simmons

Aug 7, 2008, 6:37:34 PM8/7/08
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
I, for one, will continue to use Yojimbo, because it does what I need
it to do. At least until an alternative comes along that does better.
If that alternative is from BBSW, I'll consider using it.

I won't, however, continue to use this alias. Not because of the
'whiners', but because of the rampant, militant fanbois like J.
Stewart and others.

It's not a user support alias. It's a "Yojimbo leg hump" alias at
best. I've seen not one useful post to this alias for using Yojimbo.
I've seen a LOT of militant STFU from users calling anyone who doesn't
like something "petulant children", whiners, complainers, etc. And
I've seen a lot of arrogant posts from BBSW. Neither of which are
useful.

Software is hard. Listening to customers is hard. Doing both is very
hard.

So I'm outta here...Have a fun fanbois-leg-hump.

dg