New Yesod site, for easier collaboration

Michael Snoyman

Feb 16, 2012, 2:47:09 AM2/16/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'll be putting most of this in a blog post when we make the actual
move, but I wanted to send some heads-up now. A few of us have been
having some offlist discussions about how to improve the Yesod site,
and make it easier for others to contribute. I think it's time to open
up this discussion to the whole community.

A major problem is that our Wiki needs improving. It's not easy to
use, and since it lacks any kind of sophisticated change tracking,
there's always the concern of overwriting other people's changes. Greg
came up with a brilliant solution: just use the Github wiki! This
avoids the need to have to reinvent the wheel, and lets us continue to
use Git for storing our contents. The goal here is *not* to redirect
people to Github for reading our Wiki, but to mirror the contents onto
the main site, and to have people edit the contents on Github.

I've done an initial migration of our Wiki contents to Github:
https://github.com/yesodweb/yesod/wiki . Please do *not* start editing
content there, as I will be applying the migration again in the
future, wiping out any changes you've made. I just wanted to get some
input.

This is also a great time for anyone who wants to take over styling of
the site to jump in. I'm fine leaving the site with the current
styling, but if someone would like to contribute a new look, the next
codebase will be drastically simplified and allow anyone to build
locally. The repo is at: https://github.com/yesodweb/yesodweb.com

Michael

Bas Dirks

Feb 16, 2012, 7:28:08 AM2/16/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com, yeso...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael and others,

I have been wanting to restyle the site for ages, but being the noob that I am have been unable to build the site locally despite several efforts. Is anyone online next weekend who could help me get started? Michael has previously been kind enough with help on building, but I still ran into issues setting it all up.

Peace,
Bas

Michael Snoyman

Feb 16, 2012, 7:32:21 AM2/16/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bas,

Now that all of the libraries required are available on Hackage, it
should be much simpler. Try pull the newest changes (including the
markdown submodule) and running "cabal update && cabal install". If
that doesn't work, then we have bigger problems[1].

Michael

[1] Unless you have installed some unreleased stuff from Git. If you
want to be extra safe, start off with rm -rf ~/.ghc

Hugo Gomes

Feb 16, 2012, 7:46:08 AM2/16/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

im new here,

bas dirks, can i help you out with the styling ? i know some html, css and some javascript and ive just managed to build the yesod from git (using the cabal update && cabal install tip that michael gave).

Michael Snoyman

Feb 17, 2012, 6:15:22 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I've migrated all of the existing content to the new system, and have
pushed my changes to Github. The new site is currently live at:

http://beta.yesodweb.com/

You'll notice that there is absolutely no styling applied (all of the
CSS is coming from normalize.css).

Michael

Darrin Thompson

Feb 17, 2012, 9:29:50 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Michael Snoyman <mic...@snoyman.com> wrote:
> I've migrated all of the existing content to the new system, and have
> pushed my changes to Github. The new site is currently live at:
>
> http://beta.yesodweb.com/
>
> You'll notice that there is absolutely no styling applied (all of the
> CSS is coming from normalize.css).

That's also the github wiki? I don't get it.

Michael Snoyman

Feb 17, 2012, 9:59:10 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com

The repo in question (https://github.com/yesodweb/yesodweb.com) includes the Github wiki as a submodule. The site serves that content. It also includes another repository that contains the book, blog posts, static page (FAQ, about, etc) and the homepge.

Michael

Hugo Gomes

Feb 17, 2012, 10:00:39 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Im all in for designing or joining a team to design the new yesod site.

Is it a plus if the current logo is kept ? or should a new logo be designed ?

Thanks :)

Michael Snoyman

Feb 17, 2012, 10:03:27 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com

Actually, all styling/logo questions I leave up to the community. I suppose I'm the de facto gatekeeper on this, and will have to make the final decision (since I'll be the one uploading the code to the server), but I'm happy to listen to everyone else's advice here.

If you have an idea for a new logo, my recommendation is to create it and put it up somewhere, and then we can decide if we should switch.

Darrin Thompson

Feb 17, 2012, 10:26:32 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Michael Snoyman <mic...@snoyman.com> wrote:
> If you have an idea for a new logo, my recommendation is to create it and
> put it up somewhere, and then we can decide if we should switch.

https://gist.github.com/1854004

And the crowd goes wild! Thank you! Thank you so much! You're all too kind.

I'll be here next week with all new material but for XMonad this time.

--
Darrin

Hugo Gomes

Feb 17, 2012, 10:40:49 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Nice, the concept of the Y as a lambda is great.

Here is my first try with the Monoton font (400) from the google free fonts collection:

http://i.imgur.com/7qkz3.png

The pattern on the bottom yesod is this:
#CE5973 and #1CBABC

Greg Weber

Feb 17, 2012, 11:35:18 AM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I like it!

I think we need to see how it would look when includes the 'esod'

Another approach for a logo would be to incorporate the foundation
(meaning of the word yesod) aspect.

Darrin Thompson

Feb 17, 2012, 1:07:25 PM2/17/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Greg Weber <gr...@gregweber.info> wrote:
> Another approach for a logo would be to incorporate the foundation
> (meaning of the word yesod) aspect.

What about Yesod's aspirations or practice is very different from
what's available in other frameworks, including Rails, Django, Wicket,
Snap, Happstack, etc.?

My thought behind replacing the lambda with a Y in the Haskell logo,
is that it combines something that represents Haskell, the roughly
same proportioned monad from the Haksell logo, with the Y to set
things apart and say Yesod. And it does all that with very few lines,
which is important. Maybe the Haskell logo could have been simplified
more but it is what is now.

So that's where my question comes from. What about Yesod is unique in
either aspiration or practice? That might give us some concepts to
think about representing as simple symbols or shapes. If we can work
out something that's distinctive and initially abstract but turns into
an in-joke people get later, that's fun too.

--
Darrin

Hugo Gomes

Feb 18, 2012, 2:04:36 PM2/18/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

im having a problem installing yesodweb on my machine, the error i have is this:

Preprocessing executables for yesodweb-0.0.0...
Building yesodweb-0.0.0...

Import/Content.hs:36:18:
    Could not find module `Text.Markdown':
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
yesodweb-0.0.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

This is a clean install of the haskell platform, and i just did a git clone on the repo followed by cabal update and cabal install

Can someone help me please ?

Greg Weber

Feb 18, 2012, 4:24:28 PM2/18/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I am guessing that it depends on: https://github.com/snoyberg/markdown
Perhaps you are supposed to do a "git submodule init" or otherwise
supposed to install it.

Michael Snoyman

Feb 18, 2012, 4:39:06 PM2/18/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
That's correct: it's in a submodule, as are all of the contents of the site.

Hugo Gomes

Feb 18, 2012, 8:44:16 PM2/18/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, ive managed to have it running on localhost:3000 with your help.

Now im going to try to make some layouts and present them.

Bas Dirks

Feb 19, 2012, 2:58:27 AM2/19/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Huge, Michael,

I will be online and available on IRC @ #yesod all day today. I will try to get the site running locally today.

Greets,
Bas

cies

Feb 20, 2012, 8:18:40 AM2/20/12
to Yesod Web Framework
hi all..

i got started playing with yesod lately as i wanted to learn a new
language+wfw that would learn me something (RoR gets boring after a
while).
yesod rocks, haskell rocks, although getting used to the language
hurts me sometimes.. but then "no pain, no gain", right?

i figured that the logo yesod was using currently needed some love and
went ahead, when i was a finishing off the first draft today; when i
was looking for a place to share it i found this thread. already one
logo was posted here, so i simply add mine.. :)

http://i.imgur.com/icLu9.png

some background info:
* the fonts are all free-as-in-freedom (dejavu sans and gyre pallega)
* the "Y" is not in the font but custom made
* i try to embed the foundation meaning of the word 'yesod' into the
the logo
* i used inkscape to make it, so all is svg, super easy to change
colors etc.
* this is a draft, if anyone wants to use this then let me know so i
can finalize it properly and supply SVGs of the final version.
* the fine-line artifacts on the outlines of the white parts of the
letters will not be part of the final version

please comment on it.

have a nice day!

cies.

On Feb 17, 4:40 pm, Hugo Gomes <mr.hugo.go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice, the concept of the Y as a lambda is great.
>
> Here is my first try with the Monoton font (400) from the google free fonts
> collection:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/7qkz3.png
>
> The pattern on the bottom yesod is this:
> # <http://www.colourlovers.com/color/CE5973/><http://www.colourlovers.com/color/CE5973/>CE5973
> and #1CBABC
>
> 2012/2/17 Darrin Thompson <darri...@gmail.com>
>

> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Michael Snoyman <mich...@snoyman.com>

Greg Weber

Feb 20, 2012, 10:45:29 AM2/20/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I like the approach you are taking and what you are trying to express.
However, I think it is hard to parse the word "Yesod" because the
letters have the same white color as the background.

cies

Feb 20, 2012, 12:52:09 PM2/20/12
to Yesod Web Framework
thanks for the feedback.. i await some more comment and draft
something new.

Anthropornis Nordenskjoldi

Feb 21, 2012, 10:14:43 PM2/21/12
to Yesod Web Framework
Just my insignificant two cents on the logos (I'm no graphic
designer): I personally believe that maybe thinking in terms of an
"icon" rather than a "logo" might be beneficial; in my mind an icon
need not contain any words (names) at all, and serves as an
independent compliment to a name.

Moreover, an icon seems like it is more likely to be square or fit
neatly into the dimensions of a square, and thus be able to be used
more widely in different places (perhaps unanticipated uses), e.g.,
favicons, forum avatars, dock icons, etc. I think rectangular
formatting of a logo will limit how the logo can be used by anyone who
may wish to evangelize Yesod.

Perhaps these are cliche examples, but the Ruby logo itself has no
words, and the Rails logo, while it contains the word "Rails", still
fits within a compact square footprint, which I think gives it greater
utility.

Also, how would you express the idea of a foundation if you couldn't
use any words or letters? How many different obvious and non-obvious
contexts apply to visualizing that? Even as far as a cement truck
pouring the footings of a house, how far can that be stripped down
into a highly stylized, minimal and abstract visual element? I'm just
wondering out loud here, sorry, I'm not sure I'm even using the
correct terms.

pachopepe

Feb 23, 2012, 8:29:29 AM2/23/12
to Yesod Web Framework
Hi

I made these ideas for the logo, the >Y= (mirror of the haskell logo)
was originally proposed by Darrin

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZNLyssag96ZGI5ZjRhOGQtODUwNy00YmU1LTg2NTktN2Y3MjBlMGI4NzM0

The svg file could be edited with inkscape ...
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZNLyssag96NmY3ODQzYjctZDRjNy00OWI1LWFmMTAtYzYzMmY3NDM5ODg4

Francisco

On Feb 21, 10:14 pm, Anthropornis Nordenskjoldi

cies

Mar 1, 2012, 5:49:05 PM3/1/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
i cannot build the new site..  do i miss somehting?

this happens:

1. i clone yesodweb.com
2. i go to the dir and do:

% cabal update
% cabal install
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: cannot configure cprng-aes-0.2.1. It requires cryptocipher >=0.2.5 &&
<0.3.0
For the dependency on cryptocipher >=0.2.5 && <0.3.0 there are these packages:
cryptocipher-0.2.5, cryptocipher-0.2.6, cryptocipher-0.2.7,
cryptocipher-0.2.8, cryptocipher-0.2.9, cryptocipher-0.2.10,
cryptocipher-0.2.11, cryptocipher-0.2.12, cryptocipher-0.2.13 and
cryptocipher-0.2.14. However none of them are available.
cryptocipher-0.2.5 was excluded because tls-extra-0.4.3 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.5 was excluded because cryptocipher-0.3.0 was selected
instead
cryptocipher-0.2.5 was excluded because tls-0.9.0 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.6 was excluded because tls-extra-0.4.3 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.6 was excluded because cryptocipher-0.3.0 was selected
instead
cryptocipher-0.2.6 was excluded because tls-0.9.0 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.7 was excluded because tls-extra-0.4.3 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.7 was excluded because cryptocipher-0.3.0 was selected
instead
cryptocipher-0.2.7 was excluded because tls-0.9.0 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.8 was excluded because tls-extra-0.4.3 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.8 was excluded because cryptocipher-0.3.0 was selected
instead
cryptocipher-0.2.8 was excluded because tls-0.9.0 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.9 was excluded because tls-extra-0.4.3 requires cryptocipher
>=0.3.0
cryptocipher-0.2.9 was excluded because cryptocipher-0.3.0 was selected
instead
cryptocipher-0.2.9 was excluded because tls-0.9.0 requires cryptocipher

Greg Weber

Mar 1, 2012, 11:13:17 PM3/1/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
are you using cabal-dev or virthualenv? cabal-dev seemed to work, but
I gave up on it after trying to figure out how to get it to recognize
alex. I then did a clean install with virthualenv

cies

Mar 2, 2012, 12:32:20 AM3/2/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
i just use cabal.

now learning about cabal-dev and virtualenv.  :)

On Friday, March 2, 2012 5:13:17 AM UTC+1, Greg Weber wrote:
are you using cabal-dev or virthualenv? cabal-dev seemed to work, but
I gave up on it after trying to figure out how to get it to recognize
alex. I then did a clean install with virthualenv

> i cannot build the new site..  do i miss somehting?

Michael Snoyman

Mar 2, 2012, 2:59:35 AM3/2/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
I've got to say: cabal is incredibly mind-bendingly stupid at times. I
just pushed some changes that will *hopefully* help it compile
properly on your system.

I'll start a separate thread on this later today (hopefully), but Max
Cantor and I met up and talked about a number of Yesod-related topics,
and we might have come up with a better solution to dependency hell.

Michael

cies

Mar 2, 2012, 8:47:44 AM3/2/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
i pulled, cabal cleaned and tried again, but without luck..  same error shows.

% cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.2.0 of the Cabal library

i installed the haskell platform at some point, but forgot what version exactly.. GHC sais:

% ghc -V
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3

On Friday, March 2, 2012 8:59:35 AM UTC+1, Michael Snoyman wrote:
I've got to say: cabal is incredibly mind-bendingly stupid at times. I
just pushed some changes that will *hopefully* help it compile
properly on your system.

I'll start a separate thread on this later today (hopefully), but Max
Cantor and I met up and talked about a number of Yesod-related topics,
and we might have come up with a better solution to dependency hell.

Michael

Holger Reinhardt

Mar 2, 2012, 9:02:02 AM3/2/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
You could try:
cabal install --upgrade-dependencies

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to upgrade to GHC 7.0.4 or 7.4.1.

cies

Mar 3, 2012, 9:55:00 PM3/3/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
thanks..

situation changed a little after following yr advice:

% cabal install --upgrade-dependencies
Resolving dependencies...

cabal: cannot configure conduit-0.2.2. It requires base >=4.3 && <5
For the dependency on base >=4.3 && <5 there are these packages: base-4.3.0.0,
base-4.3.1.0, base-4.4.0.0, base-4.4.1.0 and base-4.5.0.0. However none of
them are available.
base-4.3.0.0 was excluded because yesod-core-0.10.2.1 requires base >=4 &&
<4.3
base-4.3.0.0 was excluded because yesod-auth-0.8.1.1 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.3.0.0 was excluded because yesod-0.10.1.3 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.3.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.3.1.0 was excluded because yesod-core-0.10.2.1 requires base >=4 &&
<4.3
base-4.3.1.0 was excluded because yesod-auth-0.8.1.1 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.3.1.0 was excluded because yesod-0.10.1.3 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.3.1.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because yesod-core-0.10.2.1 requires base >=4 &&
<4.3
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because yesod-auth-0.8.1.1 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because yesod-0.10.1.3 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because yesod-core-0.10.2.1 requires base >=4 &&
<4.3
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because yesod-auth-0.8.1.1 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because yesod-0.10.1.3 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because yesod-core-0.10.2.1 requires base >=4 &&
<4.3
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because yesod-auth-0.8.1.1 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because yesod-0.10.1.3 requires base >=4 && <4.3
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
cabal install --upgrade-dependencies  57.10s user 4.72s system 83% cpu 1:13.72 total
! 1

guess i'll be upgrading to 7.4 then :)

cheers!
c.

On Friday, March 2, 2012 3:02:02 PM UTC+1, Holger Reinhardt wrote:
You could try:
cabal install --upgrade-dependencies

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to upgrade to GHC 7.0.4 or 7.4.1.

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 10:36:12 AM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
so i upgraded... in case someone wants to know how i did it..

first i removed all traced of haskell from my system:

    sudo apt-get remove ghc
    rm -rf ~/.ghc
    rm -rf ~/.cabal

i upgraded to 7.0.4 with a binary install..

    cd ~
    # upack and cd to dir
    ./configure
    sudo make install

then i installed HP:

    # download and unpack then
    cd haskell-platform-2011.4.0.0/
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

then i tried to install yesodweb.com again, which failed with:

% cabal install
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring language-javascript-0.4.9...
cabal: The program alex version >=3.0 is required but the version found at
/usr/local/bin/alex is version 2.3.5
hjsmin-0.0.15 depends on language-javascript-0.4.9 which failed to install.
language-javascript-0.4.9 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
yesodweb-0.0.0 depends on language-javascript-0.4.9 which failed to install.
cabal install  99.65s user 5.18s system 83% cpu 2:06.27 total
! 1

runing `cabal install --upgrade-dependencies` did not fix anything, but errored out on something else:
% cabal install --upgrade-dependencies
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: cannot configure old-time-1.1.0.0. It requires base >=4.4 && <5
For the dependency on base >=4.4 && <5 there are these packages: base-4.4.0.0,
base-4.4.1.0 and base-4.5.0.0. However none of them are available.
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because base-4.3.1.0 was selected instead
base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because base-4.3.1.0 was selected instead
base-4.4.1.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because base-4.3.1.0 was selected instead
base-4.5.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
cabal install --upgrade-dependencies  60.33s user 3.21s system 84% cpu 1:15.27 total

my situation is a follows now:

% cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.2.0 of the Cabal library

% ghc -V
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.4

ANY HELP IS WELCOME :)

Michael Snoyman

Mar 4, 2012, 10:38:53 AM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Fortunately, this is an easy one. Just make sure ~/.cabal/bin is on
your PATH, and run:

cabal install alex

Then you should be able to install. This is another example of wanting
a better tool than cabal...

Michael

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 10:45:33 AM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:38:53 PM UTC+1, Michael Snoyman wrote:
Fortunately, this is an easy one. Just make sure ~/.cabal/bin is on
your PATH, and run:

it is..

    cabal install alex

i already figured and just did it, now i get an error on markdown:

[...]
Configuring yesodweb-0.0.0...
Preprocessing executables for yesodweb-0.0.0...
Building yesodweb-0.0.0...

Import/Content.hs:36:18:
    Could not find module `Text.Markdown':
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
yesodweb-0.0.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
cabal install  133.92s user 10.68s system 82% cpu 2:54.82 total
! 1

trying to look for "cabal install markdown", or something.  :)

Then you should be able to install. This is another example of wanting
a better tool than cabal...

Michael

Michael Snoyman

Mar 4, 2012, 10:48:13 AM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
You need to check out the submodules. This is a good sign, you're almost there!

git submodule update --init

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 11:01:25 AM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
cheers..

i did a cabal install "yesod-markdown", that is still runnning..
not a good idea maybe.. if it fails i wil try that route )dont feel like interrupting it as it probably loads debs i need anyway..

kindly,
c.

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:48:13 PM UTC+1, Michael Snoyman wrote:
You need to check out the submodules. This is a good sign, you're almost there!

   git submodule update --init

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 12:43:22 PM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
worked, cheers. :)

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:48:13 PM UTC+1, Michael Snoyman wrote:
You need to check out the submodules. This is a good sign, you're almost there!

   git submodule update --init

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 1:39:58 PM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
based on my experiences i wrote a README for yw.com

You need to check out the submodules. This is a good sign, you're almost there!

   git submodule update --init

Michael Snoyman

Mar 4, 2012, 1:42:24 PM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I'm actually thinking about putting together a script to
download/install GHC and the HP automatically, which should make some
of that process easier.

cies

Mar 4, 2012, 1:50:12 PM3/4/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
i think that is hard to script.

some use ubuntu some osx some nix some windows (poor guys), and at some point many will use future versions of those :)

i think referring to HP for instructions should be enough -- that's what HP is for.

We depend on HP 2011.4, so install that and setup your cabal-bin path and off you are.

I dont know but maybe you should make HP 2011.4 a dependency here:

that would have kept me from using the old pkgs from the ubuntu repos.

just my .2
c.

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 7:42:24 PM UTC+1, Michael Snoyman wrote:
Thank you! I'm actually thinking about putting together a script to
download/install GHC and the HP automatically, which should make some
of that process easier.

> based on my experiences i wrote a README for yw.com
>
> https://github.com/yesodweb/yesodweb.com/pull/1

Darrin Thompson

Mar 5, 2012, 9:22:05 AM3/5/12
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM, cies <cies....@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think referring to HP for instructions should be enough -- that's what HP
> is for.

Yesod is likely to attract a lot of very green Haskell devs. It's
probably best to give a single supportable set of install
instructions.

> We depend on HP 2011.4, so install that and setup your cabal-bin path and
> off you are.
>
> I dont know but maybe you should make HP 2011.4 a dependency here:
>
> http://www.yesodweb.com/page/five-minutes

Can we just send people to virtualhenv now? That way when they show up
here for help they should have a solvable problem. I would add to the
five minute docs that users wishing to work productively should add
--dev to cabal configure. -O0 is a _lot_ faster on my little ol' i3
mid tower and the debug logs are actually useful when flushed. Also,
that 40 second Model.hs compile problem goes away too.

FWIW I got the official yesod 0.10.1 working with just ghc-7.4.1 +
virtualhenv + alex + something I probably forgot. Not sure if we want
new people going that route though.

--
Darrin