MS Office 2007 Issues?

1 view

Bill

Jun 9, 2008, 9:02:45 AM6/9/08
to The Xxclone Forum
I've been using Xxclone for about a year now and recently upgraded MS
Office 2002 to MS Office 2007. I cloned my HDD last night using
Xxclone 0.58.0 and somehow MS Office 2007 got trashed on both my main
HDD and my backup HDD. Are there issues with Xxclone and MS Office
2007?

I'm running from the cloned HDD right now because there are other
issues as well. When I tried to run IE last night from the main HDD it
asked if I wanted it to be my Default Browser. It's the only browser
installed and has always been the default. I dunno what other problems
there may be because I decided to try the cloned HDD to see if it
would work before I screwed up my main HDD any further. What gives?
I've never had problems like this before.

Bill

DES

Jun 10, 2008, 8:22:02 AM6/10/08
to The Xxclone Forum
Previous versions of Office (as well as security suites\firewalls
\etc.) have been keyed to the VolumeID as a form of copy protection.

DES

Bill

Jun 10, 2008, 10:48:40 AM6/10/08
to The Xxclone Forum
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what that means or
what that has to do with my problem.

Any more info you can share would be grateful and appreciated.

Bill

DES

Jun 10, 2008, 4:57:11 PM6/10/08
to The Xxclone Forum
> Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what that means or
> what that has to do with my problem.
>
> Any more info you can share would be grateful and appreciated.
>
> Bill

VolumeID (Disk Signature) is a digital disk identification encoded in
the MBR. (You can find out about this by Googling "VolumeID"... and
continue to MBR.) xxclone allows duplicating same from Source to
Destination (in cool tools is it?). As a matter of personal opinion
this should just be an automatic part of creating a "clone", since
much software uses it. A utility that pretty much covers the MBR
(mbrfix.exe) may be had at: http://www.sysint.no/Download/tabid/162/language/en-US/Default.aspx.
(This is a command line utility, hence at the command prompt
"mbrfix /?" for help. Read carefully and understand before writing
any!)

DES

Bill

Jun 16, 2008, 11:33:54 AM6/16/08
to The Xxclone Forum
On Jun 10, 4:57 pm, DES <des...@cox.net> wrote:

> VolumeID (Disk Signature) is a digital disk identification encoded in
> the MBR. (You can find out about this by Googling "VolumeID"... and
> continue to MBR.) xxclone allows duplicating same from Source to
> Destination (in cool tools is it?). As a matter of personal opinion
> this should just be an automatic part of creating a "clone", since
> much software uses it. A utility that pretty much covers the MBR
> (mbrfix.exe) may be had at:http://www.sysint.no/Download/tabid/162/language/en-US/Default.aspx.
> (This is a command line utility, hence at the command prompt
> "mbrfix /?" for help.  Read carefully and understand before writing
> any!)
>
> DES

Thank you for the explanation and attempt at help DES, but nothing
worked. I am in the long process of rebuilding the whole HDD and
reinstalling all of my progrmas, etc.

I'm also using Acroni instead of XXClone since the XXClone folks don't
seem interested in my recent issues. What a shame.

Bill

DES

Jun 17, 2008, 8:51:38 AM6/17/08
to The Xxclone Forum
> Thank you for the explanation and attempt at help DES, but nothing
> worked. I am in the long process of rebuilding the whole HDD and
> reinstalling all of my progrmas, etc.
>
> I'm also using Acroni instead of XXClone since the XXClone folks don't
> seem interested in my recent issues. What a shame.
>
> Bill

Imaging the original automatically duplicates the VolumeID (& more)
taking care of these details. Windows uses this Disk Signature to
identify volumes. Making a copy Bootable involves swapping the Drive
Letter & Volume Label assignments between the Source and Destination
On The Destination (to convince the Windows copy there it's on the
Installed To disk). This data may be seen at HKLM\System\MountedDevices
\. All the tools required to do this already exist in Windows, and the
procedure is actually quite simple & safe (it just deals with the
dreaded registry!). A Copy so doctored into a Clone is still only
bootable by it's self when electrically placed in the position of the
source. Otherwise a "test boot" may be accomplished by starting on the
original and passing the boot sequence to the destination through the
boot.ini (source disk & partition information are located in both the
MBR and ntldr file). Understanding these points allows creation &
maintenance of a clone manually without using software other than
something to copy Open\System\Locked files (or ERUNT for just the
registry). xxclone is a way to automate the steps, but you should
know what they are, and how to verify they've been taken.

DES

Bill

Jun 18, 2008, 4:10:31 PM6/18/08
to The Xxclone Forum

> Imaging the original automatically duplicates the VolumeID (& more)
> taking care of these details. Windows uses this Disk Signature to
> identify volumes. Making a copy Bootable involves swapping the Drive
> Letter & Volume Label assignments between the Source and Destination
> On The Destination (to convince the Windows copy there it's on the
> Installed To disk). This data may be seen at HKLM\System\MountedDevices
> \. All the tools required to do this already exist in Windows, and the
> procedure is actually quite simple & safe (it just deals with the
> dreaded registry!). A Copy so doctored into a Clone is still only
> bootable by it's self when electrically placed in the position of the
> source. Otherwise a "test boot" may be accomplished by starting on the
> original and passing the boot sequence to the destination through the
> boot.ini (source disk & partition information are located in both the
> MBR and ntldr file). Understanding these points allows creation &
> maintenance of a clone manually without using software other than
> something to copy Open\System\Locked files (or ERUNT for just the
> registry).  xxclone is a way to automate the steps, but you should
> know what they are, and how to verify they've been taken.
>
> DES

Thanks DES! Sounds like you know quite a lot about copying/cloning/
imaging HDDs.

I'm self-taught on most everything I think I know about computers and
I try to help others in several forums and with my web site when I
can. Do you have a detailed explanation on a web site of your own that
I could link to about this subject? If not, would you be interested in
writing something up that I could add to my web site? I'd like to
discuss this further with you if you're interested.

This is my non-commercial web site: www.WilliamAFord.com

I am the webmaster and you can e-mail me offline if you'd prefer...Not
sure what XXClone's rules are about things like this in their forum
and don't wanna get into any trouble with them here.

Thanks for your assistance with this issue DES!!

Bill

Topbuzz

Jun 19, 2008, 4:17:23 PM6/19/08
to The Xxclone Forum
On Jun 9, 2:02 pm, Bill <waf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Xxclone for about a year now and recently upgraded MS
> Office 2002 to MS Office 2007. I cloned my HDD last night using
> Xxclone 0.58.0 and somehow MS Office 2007 got trashed on both my main
> HDD and my backup HDD. Are there issues with Xxclone and MS Office
> 2007?

Strange as I've been using xxclone myself for about 5 years now. I've
too now got Office 2007 (think i was using Office XP (2002) before
hand). Now using xxclone 0.58.0 and have cloned by main HD with no
problems (in that my C drive is still running ok, but haven't tried
the cloned drive though).

I do have problems cloning if I have any s/w that hides or password
protects folders or files. For example xxclone won't work when
FolderLock is installed. I have to uninstall it each time for it
(xxclone) to see the drives. Do you have anything like this on your PC?

Bill

Jun 19, 2008, 4:56:02 PM6/19/08
to The Xxclone Forum
No, nothing like that at all, but thanks for trying.

I'm still not sure what caused this to happen, but upgrading to Office
'07 was the last thing I did just before the cloning job that trashed
everything.