Syflex MultiCollision Issue

Arda Sernaz

Sep 15, 2010, 5:23:35 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi all,

I have a problem about colliding two cloths eachother in syflex.

I have two syflex clothes and when i animate them to collide eachother
just one of them is animating by the collision.. cant animate them both.

have any ideas?

Thanks.

David Barosin

Sep 15, 2010, 8:19:14 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't think you can do separate geometry.  Might not be ideal but try merging them first.

Arda Sernaz

Sep 15, 2010, 8:46:54 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
there is sphere1 and sphere2, thay are both syflex cloth with same
properties also both of them have collision to eachother but when i
start the simulation and move one of the spheres onto other one just one
of them is animating the shape because of the collision. I want to
affect them both.

Adam Seeley

Sep 15, 2010, 9:16:11 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Don't know whether it would help in this case, The Digital Tutors Using
Syflex in Maya content was very useful to read when Syflexing in soft.

There's a section about Syflex objects colliding.

A.

19:34:00

Arda Sernaz

Sep 15, 2010, 9:29:10 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i read the documentation in xsi but there is nothing about colliding two
clothes eachother.. may be it is a bug or syflex can not compute the
deformation when colliding.. :(

i will look the maya documentation now. if i could found..
thanks

Helge Mathee

Sep 15, 2010, 10:06:55 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Since I am not progressing so well on the shattering front,
I decided to push more the physics addon.

studioNEST Momentum is nearly out the door, give
it some more days and next week we will all happily
destroy walls and such.

Cheers!

http://www.vimeo.com/14991075

-H

Ajit Menon

Sep 15, 2010, 10:15:52 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Very cool stuff!
Good going Helge!
--
Ajit

Ajit Menon | CGI artist
www.ajitmenon.com

"Success is not found in what you have achieved, but rather in WHO you have become." - Larry Bertlemann

Schoenberger

Sep 15, 2010, 10:23:42 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

You never get out of the age you play with bricks, do you?
;-)

Nice stuff!

Holger Sch�nberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Stefan Andersson

Sep 15, 2010, 10:19:50 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
looking forward to play with it! :)

regards
stefan

--
Stefan Andersson
Creative Director

Mad Crew
Roddargatan 8
116 20  Stockholm
SWEDEN

mail:
ste...@madcrew.se
skype: madcrewstefan
cell: +46 (0)73 626  850
web: http://www.madcrew.se

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the
above-mentioned recipient(s). Its content is confidential. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify us immediately and delete
it without making a copy, nor disclosing its content, nor taking any
action based thereon. Thank you.

Darren Macpherson

Sep 15, 2010, 10:46:19 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Another great piece of work!  Well done and thank you Helge, it looks fun to play with.

darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

David Barosin

Sep 15, 2010, 11:31:25 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just to clarify.  Select the two spheres and do a model>create>poly mesh>merge
This will give you one object.  Apply the syflex properties to the merged object.

Use pins to move the pieces around if needed.  It's a total hack but it may get you closer to what you want.

Joe Williamsen

Sep 15, 2010, 11:44:57 AM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks awesome, Helge! Thanks for the update :)

Arda Sernaz

Sep 15, 2010, 12:36:09 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I got your idea i guess and i tried, but i didnt give me that i want.
thanks ;)
> <mailto:ar...@lhvfx.com <mailto:ar...@lhvfx.com>>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem about colliding two cloths eachother
> in syflex.
>
> I have two syflex clothes and when i animate them to
> collide
> eachother just one of them is animating by the
> collision.. cant
> animate them both.
>
> have any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Gene Crucean

Sep 15, 2010, 2:38:16 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Bitchin stuff Helge!

What is the latest hurdle on the shattering tools that is giving you a hard time? I'm just asking since you mentioned it's not going as well as you hoped.
--
[Gene Crucean] - [VFX & CG Supervisor/Generalist]
** Freelance for hire **

Bill Hinkson

Sep 15, 2010, 2:59:52 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Solid stuff Helge! (or maybe not so solid after some collisions)
--
bill hinkson
animator & designer

Chris Johnson

Sep 15, 2010, 3:21:25 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Cool stuff man...looking forward to getting my hands on it!
--
Chris Johnson
3D Supervisor

Helge Mathee

Sep 15, 2010, 3:35:59 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is the boolean operations on surfaces when doing the
voronoi cutting. Basically you need to cut the surface into
pieces, and that's really difficult. Well, it is not soo hard,
if you want it slow. :) But I would like to achieve a quite
fast solution, so that's that.

Still working on it, will just take longer, but
I am 100% certain we'll get it in the end. :)

Nassos Yiannopoulos

Sep 15, 2010, 3:56:44 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
it's a bitch isn't

Jens Lindgren

Sep 15, 2010, 3:57:45 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great to hear, Helge!
Looking awesome as usual :)
Just have one question: Are you planing to support quads also or just triangle meshes?

Jens

Sent from my iPhone

Helge Mathee

Sep 15, 2010, 5:34:18 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Not sure yet, but probably just triangles.

Sam Cuttriss

Sep 15, 2010, 6:51:23 PM9/15/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
are you hand rolling your own boolean?
or tapping into new ones in softimage?

Sam J. Bowling

Sep 16, 2010, 3:45:30 AM9/16/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great stuff!

--
Sam J. Bowling

Helge Mathee

Sep 19, 2010, 3:01:28 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
... Final video for the release. Thanks to Holger Tesch and Mario Reitbauer for Beta-Testing!

http://vimeo.com/15097393

We will do some tweaks on the website, and release next week.

Thanks for all of the feedback,

-H

Meng-Yang Lu

Sep 19, 2010, 3:26:56 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Really, really, really nice stuff there, Helge.  I really like the rolling junk part of the demo.  Seems like something commercials love to do.  :D

-Lu

Steven Caron

Sep 19, 2010, 3:58:30 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
amazing!

can't wait to see all the new compounds and workflows the community is going to come up with.

Steven Caron

Sep 19, 2010, 4:03:14 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
oh one thing, will the code have your 'unstable' version of the booleans/shatter?

Joe Williamsen

Sep 19, 2010, 4:25:54 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Awesome Helge!  You're building up good Karma by sharing with the community and those of us who are "code challenged" ;)  Can't wait to see what it can do :)

Alan Fregtman

Sep 19, 2010, 5:43:43 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks super, Helge! :D

Andrew Nicholas

Sep 19, 2010, 7:02:37 PM9/19/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Brilliant. This is going to make such a massive difference to doing any sort of RBD in XSI. I'd have had to go to Houdini to do some of this. Not anymore!!

Thanks so much Helge!

Sam J. Bowling

Sep 19, 2010, 8:34:50 PM9/19/10
Just having some of these things in Softimage at any price would have been great, but to get them for free AND open source is simply unbelievable. I've been dying for a good way to shatter objects for years and it looks like I will finally be getting it. Tell your boss we all said that you deserve a raise! :)

--
Sam J. Bowling

Helge Mathee

Sep 20, 2010, 2:24:14 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Now THAT's the kind of feedback I wanted to hear. How do I get HR involved into the mailing list? Is there a way to click "invite" anywhere... :-P

Helge Mathee

Sep 20, 2010, 2:44:47 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes - we will release Kratos + Momentum as Beta's. The shatter algorithm is very fast, but since it is using the Softimage Booleans it will not work in every case. To test if something will work with Kratos you can just test it with the Booleans first (for example cutting against a cube).

I will work on this in the future to improve it maybe by building our own cutting algorithm, however this is exactly where I lost it... it is a very hard problem and well, the current implementation works for what we want to do. Maybe this is better than no shatter plugin at all. Let me know what you think.

Oh and also any hint of a well working, easy to implement algorithm would be welcome. :)

Adam Seeley

Sep 20, 2010, 5:06:14 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Just a suggestion that may be simplistic and naive, but from the look of it voronoi cells seem to have only convex surfaces. Could you use the Slice Tool in Soft (which has always seemed to be pretty solid to me) and run a few Slice operators to create the desired shapes?

Adam.

Darren Macpherson

Sep 20, 2010, 5:07:46 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

I definitely think this is better then no shatter plugin, in fact its all amazing and better then nothing. Thank you so much for all the hard work, I look forward to playing with it.  Good luck with that raise, its definitely well deserved!!

--
darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Chris Marshall

Sep 20, 2010, 5:15:43 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Big Thanks!!
--
Chris Marshall

Sam J. Bowling

Sep 20, 2010, 5:36:28 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
LOL!

--
Sam J. Bowling

Tim

Sep 20, 2010, 6:29:58 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Huge Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Stefan Kubicek

Sep 20, 2010, 9:00:02 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
LOL, the story of my life :-)
Anyway, incredible work as usual.

As far as the Voronoi shattering goes I wonder what Nassos will be coming
up with in this regard.
I would not even mind if that part was a bit slow as long as it's reliable
(knowing that the Softimage booleans can be picky sometimes, and unstable).

Alan Fregtman

Sep 20, 2010, 10:23:37 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Szabolcs Mátéfy

Sep 20, 2010, 10:53:01 AM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Helge for President!

Sep 20, 2010, 12:35:38 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
See this isn't what I like to hear. Not because of your work Helge (that part is amazing), but because of "why" is it this hard to implement into SI?

I'm sure you know a SI dev or two ;) so why not work together with them to open it up a bit? The dynamic voronoi shattering in Houdini is awesome and it would be huuge for SI to have something similar. As far as VFX is concerned anyway.

Here is a quick sample from Houdini. Sorry the motion looks like doo doo but hey, it took about 3min to set it up :) http://www.oblivionfilms.com/TEMP/HoudiniShatter_v001.mov

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Helge Mathee <helge....@gmx.net> wrote:
Yes - we will release Kratos + Momentum as Beta's. The shatter algorithm is very fast, but since it is using the Softimage Booleans it will not work in every case. To test if something will work with Kratos you can just test it with the Booleans first (for example cutting against a cube).

I will work on this in the future to improve it maybe by building our own cutting algorithm, however this is exactly where I lost it... it is a very hard problem and well, the current implementation works for what we want to do. Maybe this is better than no shatter plugin at all. Let me know what you think.

Oh and also any hint of a well working, easy to implement algorithm would be welcome. :)

Raffaele Fragapane

Sep 20, 2010, 12:51:03 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I don't think it's as much xsi as the fact that arbitrarily remeshing an existing hull is actually quite complex for anything but simple volumes.

Sent from not an iPhone

Andy Moorer

Sep 20, 2010, 1:14:12 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We can call ourselves the CG Party.

2010/9/20 Szabolcs Mátéfy <szab...@crytek.com>
Helge for President!

Helge Mathee

Sep 20, 2010, 2:53:41 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Indeed it is a very complex problem. I am sure Autodesk can push on that front, but,
you know the SDK only allows you to do certain things, and for sure, thanks to
memory and performance constraints, it is not the same for me to implement
such a complex "feature" as a free addon.

We try what we can do, but well... :)

Helge Mathee

Sep 20, 2010, 3:26:06 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh and one other thing, but I am quite unsure, without wanting to step
onto anybodies toes, how our policy (GPL) will work for Autodesk. I completely
understand that they can't go down the opensource road, I would do the very
same thing if I didn't have the opportunity to share (thanks to our company!),
so it is not that easy to work together on this.

Alan Jones

Sep 20, 2010, 3:37:41 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Helge,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Helge Mathee <helge....@gmx.net> wrote:
> Oh and one other thing, but I am quite unsure, without wanting to step
> onto anybodies toes, how our policy (GPL) will work for Autodesk. I
> completely
> understand that they can't go down the opensource road, I would do the very
> same thing if I didn't have the opportunity to share (thanks to our
> company!),
> so it is not that easy to work together on this.

Here's how to deal with this situation
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF

The summary is release your program under the GPL with a linking exception.

Cheers,

Alan.

Gene Crucean

Sep 20, 2010, 3:49:01 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well I'm talking wayy over my head on this one, but I guess I was talking more about how it sounded as if something in the XSISDK wasn't open enough to allow you to do this (meaning that your workarounds to that are what was making it difficult for you).

Not soo much about if AD would be able to collaborate on an open source project. Unless I misunderstood your posts?

Raffaele Fragapane

Sep 20, 2010, 8:36:05 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I would seriously consider LGPL instead of trad GPL if you want people to participate in the project.
The self-reciprocating nature of plain GPL is perceived by many as viral (and it admittedly is in many regards, even with a linking exception it's still going to scare lawyers off).
LGPL might not force people into committing back in full what they might do with your work, but it's a helluva lot more likely to at least get you partial feedback, and leave the road open for deals with large evil corporations (AD has several LGPL and freeBSD or 3 or 4 clause BSD pieces around already).

David Rivera

Sep 20, 2010, 8:55:56 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Blender´s got one, and running in Python. Over a few tutorials
I read over, they do real simple collision detection, button holds, etc..
So I was scratching my head today...
Maybe there´s a way to do something with ICE. I have been reading a lot this weekend
about iphone app development and xna game platform and they´re not really
far from what can be done in softimage, except maybe to compile stuff, but that´s another
story...

Maybe in the near future or 2012 release?
What are your thoughts, community?

David.

Serguei Kalentchouk

Sep 20, 2010, 9:05:29 PM9/20/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well considering how important user input and event management is for
games and how difficult it is to hack said things in XSI, it's just
not the most ideal platform.

--
Technical Director @ Digital Domain

Helge Mathee

Sep 21, 2010, 2:50:49 AM9/21/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That sounds reasonable. Let's make it LGPL then.

Thanks alot Raffaele.

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 21, 2010, 9:23:56 AM9/21/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There is no difference between LGPL and GPL with regards to committing
back changes. Neither of these force anyone to commit they changes.
They only requirement is that if you distribute a binary version, you
need to make the source available in a way that allows people to
recompile it. If you do not distribute, you do not have to do
anything. The only difference between the two license is that LGPL
explicitly allows using the code in a dynamic linked library used in a
non-GPL application. So the GPL is in fact not usable for a DLL to be
distributed with XSI or in any type of plug-ins in general.
Personally, I think it's weird to take Bullet and put more a more
restrictive license on it.

Schoenberger

Sep 21, 2010, 5:36:45 PM9/21/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

And in this case, if people are working on the source, they are doing it 99% for any inhouse thing.
Therefore they are not required to commit any changes, no matter the license. So LGPL is better.

With LGPL the other side has all options to use it for everything and at least you have the option to ask if they would share some
stuff they have done.

Holger Sch�nberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Raffaele Fragapane

Sep 21, 2010, 6:29:11 PM9/21/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Of course the license makes no difference for committing or not.

What I mean is that gpl's all or nothing nature if you, god forbid, dare recompile something or statically link, means people might shy away from it for commercial work, lgpl being less of a hassle normally loops in more people, which in the long run means more contributions back.

Personally I like the "WHATEVER™" nature of 3 clause BSD best, but I understand a lot of people feel it's a bit too free beer and not enough freedom :)

Sent from not an iPhone

Helge Mathee

Sep 23, 2010, 12:35:26 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey folks,

after talking for a long time on the list, finally the new website is online.
We will enjoy a nice holiday tomorrow here in spain, and await your
feedback on monday!

We love to share the new tools Momentum and Kratos, as well as the
well-known tools from studioNEST like Brigks and Melena. Another
addition to the arsenal is Essence, our core library (this is "only" source code).

Thanks to everybody involved (especially the beta testers)

Best regards to the community!

Helge

PS: http://opensource.studionestbarcelona.com

Darren Macpherson

Sep 23, 2010, 12:43:20 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Holiday here tomorrow too! Woohoo!  Busy downloading now, thanks once again.  The site looks great, what happened to pixel particles?

Darren

Dan Yargici

Sep 23, 2010, 12:43:40 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great news!  Thanks Helge and thanks Studio Nest!  Can't wait to try these out!

Hehe, I was just about to mail you guys to tell you that all the links in the open source section of your website were not working, but I get I just found out why.... ;)

DAN

Juhani Karlsson

Sep 23, 2010, 12:48:09 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You guys Rock! : )

Czarek Kwasny

Sep 23, 2010, 12:43:40 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Purely beautiful. :)

We love you Helge! :D

--
Czarek Kwasny
http://czarekkwasny.com/

Rui Santos Gmail

Sep 23, 2010, 12:52:27 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Fantastic!

Thank you!

Rui

Gene Crucean

Sep 23, 2010, 12:54:18 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Kapow! Thanks guys!

Patrick Nethercoat

Sep 23, 2010, 12:57:18 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is a huge karmic enlargement for you

Thankyou very much indeed.

Sep 23, 2010, 12:57:59 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Awesomess level 11/10.

F.

Juan Brockhaus

Sep 23, 2010, 1:02:09 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Mike Donovan

Sep 23, 2010, 1:02:04 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Nice!! ... were gonna hold off mass install until 2011.5 ... but Im gonna play in the mean time locally.

http://www.star.net.uk

http://www.star.net.uk

Jeremie Passerin

Sep 23, 2010, 1:18:39 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Darren >
Pixel particules will be back. I think Helge wants to give it cool name and a fancy logo :) Then we'll put it on the same page !

Darren Macpherson

Sep 23, 2010, 1:24:29 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Thanks for the info Jeremie, was just wondering why it was not sitting next its big brothers, glad that its getting a nice new shiny logo and name.   Once again great work and thanks to everyone at studioNEST.

Helge Mathee

Sep 23, 2010, 1:44:57 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks all!

I just noticed the linux addons are missing the bullet libraries, so you will
have to get bullet as shared and compile yourself on linux. I will fix that on
monday!

Saludos!

On 09/23/2010 06:57 PM, Fabrice Altman wrote:

Awesomess level 11/10.

F.

andialias

Sep 23, 2010, 2:17:12 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
HI Helge,
thank you for sharing your tools - I hope we see you around again!
All the best!
Andi

a n d i a l i a s
Andreas Schulz     Durbusch 42     51503 Rösrath     Germany
Phone 02205 85204     Cell: 0173 2633893
http://www.andialias.de

Bill Hinkson

Sep 23, 2010, 2:18:06 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great releases! Thanks for all the hard work!
--
bill hinkson
animator & designer
http://billhinksondesign.com

Christopher Tedin

Sep 23, 2010, 2:18:59 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great treat! Thanks guys!

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Sep 23, 2010, 2:24:15 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

right on time for my project. A Blessing!

Enjoy your very well deserved long week-end!

MAC

BIG thank you sharing your tools and supporting the community. Beautifully designed website!

Stephan.

HM> Hey folks,

HM> after talking for a long time on the list, finally the new website is online.
HM> We will enjoy a nice holiday tomorrow here in spain, and await your
HM> feedback on monday!

HM> We love to share the new tools Momentum and Kratos, as well as the
HM> well-known tools from studioNEST like Brigks and Melena. Another
HM> addition to the arsenal is Essence, our core library (this is "only" source code).

HM> Thanks to everybody involved (especially the beta testers)

HM> Best regards to the community!

HM> Helge

HM> PS: http://opensource.studionestbarcelona.com

Stefan Andersson

Alan Fregtman

Sep 23, 2010, 3:28:46 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice site layout and logos. Thank you so much for your hard work, Helge! :)

-- Alan

Steven Caron

Sep 23, 2010, 3:32:57 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
woohoo! thanks helge!

have you considered providing some type of build system? cmake, scons, etc? also build instructions and requirements of bullet, like the version?

since it is open source, maybe the community can help with that. but i was just wondering if you had this already?

Serguei Kalentchouk

Sep 23, 2010, 4:10:00 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is awesome, thank you Helge!!!

--
Technical Director @ Digital Domain

Steven Caron

Sep 23, 2010, 4:12:08 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
found the bullet version, in the project files. thanks!

Adam Seeley

Sep 23, 2010, 4:25:11 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Inspiring work on all fronts Studio Nest people.

What you've created, how you've shared it and how it's been presented.

Bravo,

Adam.

(Looking forward to crumbly goodness)

________________________________

Sep 23, 2010, 4:30:33 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks a lot Helge for all that work and great site too!

Thierry

Sep 23, 2010, 10:11:07 PM9/23/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Cheers Guys. What a sweet addition to Softimage's fast expanding FX tools!
Adam

Helge Mathee

Sep 24, 2010, 2:00:34 AM9/24/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We are using codeblocks for cross platform, and Alan Jones is switching it to cmake,
so I hope in the future we will be able to provide that in an easy fashion.

Chris Marshall

Sep 24, 2010, 3:09:25 AM9/24/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great stuff! Wish I had more free time to play!!
--
Chris Marshall

Szabolcs Mátéfy

Sep 24, 2010, 3:32:25 AM9/24/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hey,

It’s an excellent release, and it came just in time to help us J I have an issue though, I wanted to shatter a character of mine, but when the shatter finished, some of the chunks has been incorporated into the fractured mesh.

Thanks,

Szabolcs

Helge Mathee

Sep 24, 2010, 3:36:37 AM9/24/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Like I mentioned on some of the videos, Szabolcs,
the shatter is based on the Softimage Boolean. To get rid
of that issue shatter a couple of times with different seeds
on the particle cloud, and you should be fine. If the boolean
doesn't work for you character, you won't be able to use
Kratos either. Sorry about that.

We are working on a better algorithm for Kratos 2.0.

On 09/24/2010 09:32 AM, Szabolcs M�t�fy wrote:

Hey,

ďż˝

ďż˝

On 24 September 2010 07:00, Helge Mathee <helge....@gmx.net> wrote:

We are using codeblocks for cross platform, and Alan Jones is switching it to cmake,
so I hope in the future we will be able to provide that in an easy fashion.

On 09/23/2010 09:32 PM, Steven Caron wrote:

woohoo! thanks helge!

ďż˝

[...]

Szabolcs Mátéfy

Sep 24, 2010, 3:43:57 AM9/24/10
to Helge Mathee, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

No problem we will do a LOT of iteration, this is the best what happened this weekJ Congratulations, awesome tool, and I just showed it to my colleagues, and jaws dropped…thanks Helge!

Cheers

Szabolcs

Richard Perry

Phil Williams

Sep 24, 2010, 5:07:41 AM9/24/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

So generous - thanks to all involved!

Nice site/branding too, very contemporary.

Phil

after talking for a long time on the list, finally the new website is online.
We will enjoy a nice holiday tomorrow here in spain, and await your
feedback on monday!

We love to share the new tools Momentum and Kratos, as well as the
well-known tools from studioNEST like Brigks and Melena. Another
addition to the arsenal is Essence, our core library (this is "only" source code).

Thanks to everybody involved (especially the beta testers)

Best regards to the community!

Helge

PS: http://opensource.studionestbarcelona.com

Tinopolis
Tinopolis Centre, Park Street, Llanelli  SA15 3YE
UK Company Reg. 03832383
This email and any files attached are strictly confidential and intended
solely for the person or entity to whom they are addressed. They may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action
in reliance on them. If you have received this email in error, please notify
us as soon as possible and delete it. The views and opinions expressed in
this email message and any attachments are the author's own and they
do not reflect necessarily the views and opinions of Tinopolis.

Mae'r ebost hwn ac unrhyw ffeiliau sydd ynghlwm yn gyfrinachol ac at
ddefnydd y person neu'r corff y cyfeiriwyd hwy atynt yn unig. Gallant
gynnwys gwybodaeth sy'n freintiedig yn gyfreithiol a/neu'n gyfrinachol
ac os nad chi yw'r sawl y cyfeiriwyd y neges ato, yna peidiwch a chopio,
dosbarthu na chymryd unrhyw gamau o ganlyniad a gan ddibynnu arni.
Os ydych wedi derbyn yr ebost hwn drwy gamgymeriad, dylech ein
hysbysu o hyn cyn gynted a phosib a'i dileu os gwelwch yn dda.
Barn neu safbwyntiau'r awdur yw'r rhai a fynegir yn y neges ebost hon
ac unrhyw atodiadau ac nid ydynt yn adlewyrchu o anghenraid barn neu
safbwyntiau Tinopolis.

Christopher Tedin

Gene Crucean

Helge Mathee

Sep 27, 2010, 4:23:22 AM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Momentum 1.2 is online.

- Plot not works under windows
- Linux distribution includes binaries of dependencies in the lib folder.

On 09/24/2010 08:59 PM, Gene Crucean wrote:
Yeah Pro Booleans still to this day, imo are the best boolean tools around.

2010/9/24 Christopher Tedin <cte...@comcast.net>
Just installed it and it runs beautifully and FAST. Man, what a great tool. Even better than Houdini's version, which was pretty good, but a bit flaky sometimes. Can't wait until it gets tweaked up. Booleans are a pain no matter which software package you use. Pro Booleans for Max was a big improvement for me when it came out, but that was about it.

On 9/24/10 2:43 AM, Szabolcs M�t�fy wrote:

No problem we will do a LOT of iteration, this is the best what happened this weekJ Congratulations, awesome tool, and I just showed it to my colleagues, and jaws dropped�thanks Helge!

�

�

Cheers

�

�

Szabolcs

�

Ciaran Moloney

Sep 27, 2010, 8:34:13 AM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's a really great job you guys are doing. And thanks for sharing with us all.

Ciaran

Joe Williamsen

Sep 27, 2010, 1:20:04 PM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the update, Helge - BTW - where do you want us to send bugs?

Helge Mathee

Sep 27, 2010, 2:05:07 PM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ideally submit issues to the GIT projects.
http://github.com/studioNEST

just click on one of the projects, to create issues use the issues tab.

Helge

phil

Sep 27, 2010, 2:30:11 PM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Helge

while I have you on the list, what is the proper way to cache a Momentum particle system.  I don't think the
Momentum cache works for particle systems, and I am getting nothing useful from the Softimage caching.

Phil
I've used the environment caching and it seems to work fine for me.

Helge

On 09/27/2010 08:30 PM, phil wrote:
Helge
�
while I have you on the list, what is the proper way to cache a Momentum particle system.� I don't think the
Momentum cache works for particle�systems, and I am getting nothing useful from the Softimage caching.
�

phil

Sep 27, 2010, 3:01:15 PM9/27/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ah,   I was trying to use the :write to cache file" in which I had no luck.

thanks
Phil

Adam Sale

Sep 28, 2010, 1:58:50 AM9/28/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey folks.
I've been playing around with Kratos and Momentum.
Great stuff.
Regarding Kratos, have any of you had any problems with the fractured mesh it generates containing the original unfractured geo?
I'm using shatter by volume, and the problem compounds when you use Momentum to set it as a deform RBD. The fractured geo blows apart.
I find this problem is occuring when I set a higher emit rate
I've tried with various mesh types, quads, tris
Transforms are frozen.
I've played back a few times to make sure.
I would say anything over a rate of 400 starts to become unstable on my end..
I wonder if this is part of the boolean issue Helge was mentioning?

Anyhow, if there are any of you who have worked around this, I'd love to hear all about it

Irie

Adam
It is loading more messages.