Stuck trying to move a curve by a mesh's self.PolygonPosition

Alan Fregtman

Sep 14, 2011, 11:28:24 AM9/14/11
to XSI Mailing List
Hey guys,

I have a curve with as many points as there are polygons in this mesh.
The mesh is being deformed and I want the curve's pointpositions to
match the mesh's PolygonPosition ICEattribute. Any ideas?

I could make it follow with location searches but I'm trying to keep it light.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,

-- Alan

David Barosin

Sep 14, 2011, 11:39:51 AM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Alan.  I just did something like this yesterday.

Use a Build Array from Per Point Data node to grab all the polygon positions in an array.

use the indices of the curve points to select in array.  Seemed pretty light.

Florian Eberle

Sep 14, 2011, 11:40:08 AM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hi alan

try this (attached pic)
--
Flo Eberle
Lead Modeling Artist/

PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co. KGBuchenstraße 16 b
01097 Dresden
Tel.: +49.351.563.4136.21
Fax.: +49.351.563.4136.16
mail: i...@pixable.de
web: www.pixable.de
facebook: www.facebook.com/PixableStudios

--
Unser Kurzfilm "Grisella" ist für den animago AWARD 2011 in der Kategorie "Beste Postproduktion" nominiert. Erfahren Sie mehr über den Film auf www.grisella.com

Der PiXABLE-Newsletter: Anmeldung auf www.pixable.de

IMPRESSUM:
PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Sitz: Dresden, Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRA 6857,
Komplementärin: Lenhard & Barth Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz: Dresden,
Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRB 26501, Geschäftsführer: Frank Lenhard, Tino Barth

IMPRINT:
PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery: Dresden,
Company Registration Number: HRA 6857, General Partner: Lenhard & Barth
Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery: Dresden, Company
Registration Number: HRB 26501, Chief Executive Officers: Frank Lenhard, Tino Barth

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht
der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte
sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die
unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy
this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.

curveToPoly.JPG

Ciaran Moloney

Sep 14, 2011, 11:41:25 AM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Are you on 2012? If so try the array from set node to get an array of polygonpositions. Then lookup the array values using you curve point indices.

Ciaran

Alan Fregtman

Sep 14, 2011, 11:42:02 AM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hmm, I'm in 2011.5 which seems to be missing "Build Array from Set".

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Florian Eberle <f...@pixable.de> wrote:
> hi alan
>
> try this (attached pic)
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 17:28, Alan Fregtman <alan.f...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I have a curve with as many points as there are polygons in this mesh.
>> The mesh is being deformed and I want the curve's pointpositions to
>> match the mesh's PolygonPosition ICEattribute. Any ideas?
>>
>> I could make it follow with location searches but I'm trying to keep it
>> light.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> � -- Alan
>

> --
> Flo Eberle
> Lead Modeling Artist/
> Technical Director
>
> _____________________________________________________________________________________________________
>

> PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co. KGBuchenstra�e 16 b

> Unser Kurzfilm "Grisella" ist f�r den animago AWARD 2011 in der Kategorie
> "Beste Postproduktion" nominiert. Erfahren Sie mehr �ber den Film auf

> www.grisella.com
> Der PiXABLE-Newsletter: Anmeldung auf www.pixable.de

> IMPRESSUM:
> PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Sitz: Dresden, Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRA 6857,

> Komplement�rin: Lenhard & Barth Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz: Dresden,
> Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRB 26501, Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Frank Lenhard, Tino Barth

> IMPRINT:
> PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery:
> Dresden,
> Company Registration Number: HRA 6857, General Partner: Lenhard & Barth
> Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery: Dresden,
> Company
> Registration Number: HRB 26501, Chief Executive Officers: Frank Lenhard,
> Tino Barth

> Diese E-Mail enth�lt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich gesch�tzte
> Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht
> der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt�mlich erhalten haben,

Alan Fregtman

Sep 14, 2011, 11:52:46 AM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
How do I use the "Build Array from Per Point Data" compound exactly?
PolygonPosition is per-face not per-point so I'm not sure how that
would work.

It appears to output a location, but getting the PolygonPosition from
that location just gives me garbage. I must be doing something wrong.

David Barosin

Sep 14, 2011, 12:11:35 PM9/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Here's a scene.