Silver Subscription for Softimage?

Thomas Helzle

Aug 1, 2011, 9:34:53 AM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Douglas Adams

Since starting today the new price for (gold-) subscription is in
effect - can anybody from Autodesk comment on why there is no silver
subscription for Softimage?
We were told the price increase was about levelling XSI with the other
products.
If that is the case, why not go all the way and also offer silver support?

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Matt Morris

Aug 1, 2011, 9:45:31 AM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'd like to know this too. If there isn't going to be a silver subscription then who can we write/complain to that can make a difference?

Stephen Blair

Aug 1, 2011, 11:35:49 AM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

At the time of the acquisition, a Softimage maintenance contract was a much closer match to Gold than to Silver, so it seems like Autodesk made the correct decision to migrate customers on active maintenance to Gold. That, I think, is why there is no other subscription levels for Softimage.

--
www.matinai.com<http://www.matinai.com>

winmail.dat

Thomas Helzle

Aug 1, 2011, 11:46:56 AM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Stephen, I understand where the current situation has come from, but
now that gold is much more expensive, I think it's time to offer a
silver subscription too.
Like Matt, I would like to know where I can effectively make that request.

Thanks and cheers and back to learning Blender ;-)

Thomas Helzle

Christopher Tedin

Aug 1, 2011, 11:59:01 AM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

from BlenderNation.com:

An in-depth videotutorial on texture painting.

Greg Zaal writes:

Texture painting is a finicky thing, but a very necessary skill if you plan on being any good at texturing.

So in this tutorial you’ll learn all the little settings that need to be enabled for you to

>>paint directly onto the model in the viewport, <<

as well as a bunch of tips, faqs and things to remember to help you with any trouble you might have.

-Just sayin...

-Christopher Tedin
(Also waiting for a Silver Subscription)
--
Christopher Tedin

Thomas Helzle

Aug 1, 2011, 12:45:39 PM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Heheheh - thanks Christopher ;-)
I'm going through some of those tutorials right now - having a lot of
fun actually.
While many things are "missing" from Blender, a lot of other stuff
missing in XSI is available or under development ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahnq6m5jaA

http://vimeo.com/26439952

Feels like 2.5 gave the whole community a big push forward...

It's a bit like Lightwave - many things are a bit ancient, but then
you stumble over a plugin like this:
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Verdure.html
Free and featuring an absolutely brilliant concept for custom trees...

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Gene Crucean

Aug 1, 2011, 1:11:28 PM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There are tons of very amazing tools in Blender.

Since modeling has been a hot topic on here lately:

And here's a quick one I just whipped up in literally a few seconds: http://www.vimeo.com/27159221

I'm not trying to stir any pots. I just think it's healthy to talk about competition.

--
Gene Crucean - VFX & CG Supervisor / Generalist / iOS-OSX Developer
I am ICE, Arnold, Lagoa, emFluid, Nuke focused. And sometimes Fume :)

~~ Please use my website's contact form on www.genecrucean.com for any personal emails. Thanks. I may not get them at this address. ~~

Thomas Helzle

Aug 1, 2011, 1:46:52 PM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think this pot needs some heavy stirring to be honest.
Does it "Blend"?

Yes, it does ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Steven Caron

Aug 1, 2011, 1:50:45 PM8/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ya i dig those results... i mean for the time you put into it.

Christian Gotzinger

Aug 2, 2011, 4:43:23 AM8/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I am not an expert on clouds, so my view on this is probably too simplified. But I don't really see the difference (neither in speed nor render result) between this and spawning a few particle spheres + using a preset for the particle renderer.

Matt Morris

Aug 2, 2011, 4:56:28 AM8/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I kind of feel like the issue is getting sidetracked here!

Are there any plans for Autodesk to address the lack of silver subscription at Siggraph?

How would people feel about a petition being set up - too early? I can't believe there hasn't been any official statement by Autodesk on this price 'alignment'.

Thomas Helzle

Aug 2, 2011, 5:16:03 AM8/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Matt,

well, so far all people from Autodesk seem to be either as puzzled as
the user or doing their best to avoid the issue somehow. Graham said
he escalated it internally and there may or may not come something out
of it... :-(

So I guess it depends on everybodys feeling towards the issue - there
is no "too early" IMO, only a "too late".
I suspect many people will only find out about the price change when
their subscription is running out the next time...

So count me in.

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Rob Chapman

Aug 2, 2011, 5:40:51 AM8/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I agree the as yet unofficially unannounced 1/3 price hike seems to be a blatant grab for more revenue without any fundamental change in what we have already, but not unexpected considering its pretty much in a monopoly situation, if there was any kind of competition would they still do this? I don't think so,  the nearest is Houdini and thats still more expensive than SI for the full package,  but think about their predication - how are AD going to split Gold/Silver Softimage by offering a difference?  take some access to  'the area' away?  ha ha ha we would all go silver then !

Nancy Jacobs

Aug 2, 2011, 11:40:36 AM8/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"how are AD going to split Gold/Silver Softimage by offering a difference?  take some access to  'the area' away?  ha ha ha we would all go silver then !"

Shhhh... They might hear you!

Graham Bell

Aug 3, 2011, 4:32:11 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There are differences between Gold, Silver and Platinum Subscription

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16593902

On 2 August 2011 10:56, Matt Morris <mat...@gmail.com<mailto:mat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> I kind of feel like the issue is getting sidetracked here!
> Are there any plans for Autodesk to address the lack of silver subscription
> at Siggraph?
> How would people feel about a petition being set up - too early? I can't
> believe there hasn't been any official statement by Autodesk on this price
> 'alignment'.
>

> On 2 August 2011 09:43, Christian Gotzinger <cgo...@googlemail.com<mailto:cgo...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I am not an expert on clouds, so my view on this is probably too
>> simplified. But I don't really see the difference (neither in speed nor
>> render result) between this and spawning a few particle spheres + using a
>> preset for the particle renderer.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Gene Crucean
>> <emailgene...@gmail.com<mailto:emailgene...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And here's a quick one I just whipped up in literally a few
>>> seconds: http://www.vimeo.com/27159221
>>> I'm not trying to stir any pots. I just think it's healthy to talk
>>> about competition.
>>>

> --
> www.matinai.com<http://www.matinai.com>

winmail.dat

Sajjad Amjad

Aug 3, 2011, 5:32:51 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the info Graham,
Just by looking at my resellers website it seems that Softimage is
only available with two options:
1. Without subscription
2. With Gold subscription

There doesn't seem to be an option for regular subscription or
Platinum subscription.

Interestingly, the Autodesk(AD) website asks users to refer to their
local resellers for more info regarding subscription; the local
reseller lists the purchase options and an AD PDF as their 'more
info'. This PDF refers back to the AD website for more info. An ad
absurdum loop of 'more info'?

Stuck in a loop,
Sajjad

--

-----
"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - O. Wilde

Graham Bell

Aug 3, 2011, 5:45:27 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The link just shows the different Subscription options from a general viewpoint, but (to the best of my knowledge) they don't apply to every product that Autodesk do.
winmail.dat

Sajjad Amjad

Aug 3, 2011, 5:59:13 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the clarification,
You are probably correct that those don't apply to all products. I'll
just email the resellers and ask if they offer or plan to offer
regular subscription for Softimage.

Cheers,
Sajjad

Graham Bell

Aug 3, 2011, 6:25:48 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The reseller would only know if Autodesk has told them, and currently there is no Silver Subscription offered with Softimage.
winmail.dat

Sajjad Amjad

Aug 3, 2011, 6:34:17 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks again Graham,
Coming back to where this thread started. Are you aware if/when the
other subscription options will be made available to Softimage
customers? Ideally I would like to downgrade to Silver for my personal
license and perhaps recommend a Platinum subscription for the company
to get the ADN fee waiver :-)

Cheers,
Sajjad

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Aug 3, 2011, 6:54:41 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Platinum is only sold to clients with 1000 employees (not seats) or more

Sajjad Amjad

Aug 3, 2011, 6:58:14 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
About 950 short then.

Thomas Helzle

Aug 3, 2011, 7:05:17 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Autodesk behaves like a bar of wet soap here.
Nobody is responsible for anything.
Nobody can say anything definite.
Nobody knows why things are like they are.

I was never a big fan of the old Softimage company either, but at
least you could usually find somebody with a say in a certain matter
if you were insisting.

All the AD resellers I ever met don't give a used hanky about what
customers may want or need as long as they get their share - and they
don't have much of a say anyway. They are a redundant intermediate
stage - I could just buy my software or subscription from any webshop
without any real difference. But it's a nice way to prevent
competition.

One of the german Resellers is even trying to sell me his own
"12-month-support" on top of the gold subscription.
250.- Euro a year for stuff that's basically already part of gold...

It always comes down to "The Corporation": Each individual may be the
nicest person on earth, but as an employee of a big corporation, they
are non-entities, argue in circles without any real meat (they don't
have a say anyway and are bound by big fat NDAs I guess) and even
argue about stuff that is simply retarded if you happen to live in the
real world.

So back to the original question: What can be done about silver subscription?

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Vladimir Jankijevic

Aug 3, 2011, 7:20:00 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thomas, I agree! With their amount of knowledge they have no purpose at all.
--
---------------------------------------
Vladimir Jankijevic

Elefant Studios AG
Lessingstrasse 15
CH-8002 Zürich

+41 44 500 48 20

www.elefantstudios.ch
---------------------------------------

Graham Bell

Aug 3, 2011, 7:20:07 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I have no news at all on Silver Subs for Softimage and I have no idea if and when it will be offered.
I have raised the issue with the sale guys I deal with and that will get fed up the chain.
winmail.dat

Sajjad Amjad

Aug 3, 2011, 7:27:22 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Graham,
Thanks for that, it's good to know that the seed has been planted

Cheers,
Sajjad

ThierryBaret

Aug 3, 2011, 7:30:39 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I've contacted my reseller here in France just a bit after the original
thread started, mentioning a rise in price for XSI subscription.
Well, according to him there wasn't any changes in price at the time, it was
back on the 11th of July.
And the price was supposed to be 615?.

Let's see what it's really going to be when I've got to renew it.
But true, it's really annoying not having prices written down for good on
Autodesk website and instead have to find things out through comments from
other users.

Thierry

Tim Leydecker

Aug 3, 2011, 7:32:22 AM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Thomas,

you may like to give www.weltenbauer.com in Wiesbaden a try.

They have been very helpful to me in the past and are
willing to check for the best options, be it license
upgrades, crossgrades or promotions offers.

Cheers,

tim

Gerbrand Nel

Aug 3, 2011, 12:22:47 PM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I just paid my maintenance and it was cheaper than last year... Maybe
we've been ripped off all along here in South Africa, and now that the
new price was announced, the re-sellers were forced to rip us off less?
> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Maurice Patel

Aug 3, 2011, 12:49:55 PM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
:)

Well let us just say that the petition has been heard and we are looking into the request.

It had been assumed that there would be no demand for silver. After integration we kept some of the more unique high-touch aspects of the Softimage support model that made it valuable to customers rather than simply blend it into the Max/Maya support model. Softimage has its own dedicated support team and if you have contacted support you know how good they are :). So Softimage has a rather different support model to 3ds Max and Maya. That kind of a service is much more akin to something like Autodesk's GOLD offering though not exactly the same.

Just to let you know that the people who are responsible for Softimage are aware of the questions being raised on this thread and are taking them seriously.

Maurice Patel
Industry Marketing Manager, Autodesk Media and Entertainment
winmail.dat

Len Krenzler

Aug 3, 2011, 1:03:01 PM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks. I too would like a Silver option. All I need is software
updates, I never use support. The Silver option would make it more
practical for me to keep up to date. - Len

Christopher Tedin

Aug 3, 2011, 1:17:59 PM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah, I agree. I use it for the updates as well.

--
Christopher Tedin

Thomas Helzle

Aug 3, 2011, 3:04:26 PM8/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Maurice, thanks for your feedback.

I guess everybody would be happy to stay on gold, but if the price
goes up to 146% as it did now with no alternatives and no explanation,
then support may be as good as it may be, it's just too much (and I'm
sure many people like me don't really use support much anyway).

But let me set this straight: This is NOT originally a request for
silver subscription, but for keeping reasonable prices.
If the price goes up like that on gold, many people prefer silver
support over dropping subscription altogether.

So just for the record: it is NOT the case that users demand silver
support out of their ignorance on the qualities of XSI support.
But Autodesk forced a massive price increase on us Europeans out of
thin air and the request for silver support is the alternative that
most people see as more probable happening than Autodesk dropping the
price back to what it was - which would be what most people would
prefer, I assure you.

And let me tell you what I would REALLY like: Going back to a
reasonable priced update-model where everybody can decide himself when
to update. And buying support as one needs it.
This is what works very well for me with all other software I use and
allows the user to vote with his wallet if he thinks a certain update
or direction makes sense for him - or not.

I hate subscription with all my heart, especially the Autodesk -
holding a smoking gun to your head - version of it. No questions
there.

So I don't want an AD representative to run around later telling
people they "demanded" silver subscription and how bad that is and how
ignorant they all are and that it's their own fault...

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Darren Macpherson

Aug 4, 2011, 2:17:06 AM8/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just paid mine and I noticed that too, but then again it is controlled by a monopoly in SA, wish we could bypass the re-seller and buy directly online, I've never had any use for them except for buy subs.  I thought I would give them a change this year and go to there road show thing, all they really did was fumble through sample scenes.

darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Matt Morris

Aug 4, 2011, 5:29:04 AM8/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Maurice, thanks for the feedback and response.

I can accept why the gold subscription cost would be aligned with the other packages (I did assume something like that would happen at some point) even though I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't really understand why it was assumed there wouldn't be a demand for a lower priced alternative though! I'm in the camp that only use support to get the licence up and running, though I have been at companies which found the support from softimage invaluable, and the quality of serivce provided is great. I just think there should be an option for the freelancers/small companies that might otherwise use that cost to invest in other software (like a softimage/mudbox combo if there was one!) or keep their heads above water.

Cheers,
Matt

Darren Macpherson

Aug 4, 2011, 5:52:10 AM8/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+1 and +1 one to something useful like a softimage/mudbox combo

John Richard Sanchez

Aug 4, 2011, 5:44:01 PM8/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think if you upgrade to the creation suite it will be worth the new higher upgrade price. ........ um    maybe. :)
--
John Richard Sanchez
www.johnrichardsanchez.com

John Richard Sanchez

Aug 4, 2011, 5:44:40 PM8/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I mean higher subscription price!

Thomas Helzle

Aug 17, 2011, 4:05:03 AM8/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So....
Any news on this?
Graham, did the escalation reveal any new information on the price
change or the possibility of unified subscription options?

Cheers,

Thomas

Olivier Jeannel

Aug 17, 2011, 4:29:03 AM8/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello guys,

Found this http://vimeo.com/23636472

Way cool and impressive, I mean the 2D getting in the hardbodies and
collision stuff...

Graham Bell

Aug 17, 2011, 4:48:57 AM8/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't have any additional information at all. It was pushed up to Montreal and division and you all saw the reply from Maurice. Any new information about Silver subs etc, will have to come from them.

Aug 17, 2011, 1:10:53 PM8/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's actually pretty incredible considering what it's running inside of.

--
Gene Crucean - VFX & CG Supervisor / Generalist / iOS-OSX Developer
I am Arnold, ICE, Lagoa, emFluid, Houdini, Fume and Nuke focused.
** Freelance for hire **
www.genecrucean.com

~~ Please use my website's contact form on www.genecrucean.com for any personal emails. Thanks. I may not get them at this address. ~~

Thomas Helzle

Aug 17, 2011, 5:18:55 PM8/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So Maurice, any chance on an update on this topic?

Thanks and cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Thomas Helzle

Sep 21, 2011, 5:33:11 AM9/21/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
If anybody should still be interested:
http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1623&start=80
Looks like no Silver Subscription for XSI is coming...

Carpe Diem,

Thomas