Autodesk Tech Preview

Ureche Octavian

Feb 25, 2011, 12:47:04 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

apart from the fact that it's a pretty cool tech for game dev,
is it just me or do those node trees look "somewhat" familiar :)

--
okto | visual
www.okto.ro

Eric Cosky

Feb 25, 2011, 2:27:42 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

That’s pretty impressive.

James Brad Barnette [3Dmotif]

Feb 25, 2011, 3:04:11 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

André Adam

Feb 25, 2011, 3:31:02 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks like someone at Autodesk had a tour of Natural Motion's morpheme recently.

David Rivera

Feb 25, 2011, 3:45:29 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
James, I could tell you from my point of view:
Most nowadays game engines are implementing a structural node for game logic commands.
I was actually surprised that AD finally has paid direct attention to the necessity of game industry
standards directly inside of their 3d applications (naming Maya and Max plus - God allows- SI).
ICE pipelines to come into the game and people like me (with no coding background at all) could
easily develop complex math stuff in a snap. The same way, game logic-node-building in applications
like blender, unity, udk and shiva adopted for their users to concentrate more on asthetistics
and less on coding has reached AD´s eye.

That´s a big plus for a decade of "work arounds". Let´s hope we can finally apply all the shortcuts
of 3d production inside those new technologies from AD.

Jaw dropped when watching the video demo and saw the guy cycling the character, converted into a clip,
re-loading it in native Maya, reshaping curves, and continuing the game (the same animation clip) from
a "visual log debugging". I said: Thank you AD.

Bests.
David.

Feb 25, 2011, 4:33:40 PM2/25/11
to David Rivera, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Agreed, this is a really interesting tech demo. Animation is always an iterative process ( especially when a game engine can have many layers stacked on top of the original motion ) and having to compare and distinguish differences between what you see in the DCC application and the engine can be a time consuming process. Being able to combine the two in the way that the video shows would increase the efficiency of debugging as well as polishing.

Some of it certainly does scream of morpheme (which is no bad thing), but if this is a direction they take then it would certainly go a long way to streamlining the animation process within a game pipe.I certainly hope they release more info during GDC.

Mike.

Carl Callewaert - Fundi3D

Feb 25, 2011, 5:55:05 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is a game engine or is about animation for a game engine

Gene Crucean

Feb 25, 2011, 6:06:11 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Holy ICE interface ripoff.
--
[Gene Crucean] - [VFX & CG Supervisor/Generalist]
** Freelance for hire **

Meng-Yang Lu

Feb 25, 2011, 6:14:50 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think it was bound to happen no?  Since ICE came out, everyone else has been creating similar interfaces.  Not hard to expect it to happen considering we're all one big happy Autodesk family.

-Lu

Steven Caron

Feb 25, 2011, 6:13:50 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
well, they do own it now and the talent behind it.. *shrug*

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Feb 25, 2011, 6:21:00 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The funny thing is how AD told they were buying SI for it's game connections and capabilities, then
push game stuff in Maya..

Quite impressive demo by the way.

Cheers
Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

Steven Caron

Feb 25, 2011, 6:23:59 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
they hired talented individuals that work for softimage. :)

Eric Turman

Feb 25, 2011, 6:32:52 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's an old saying about Innovation and Imitation... ;)
--

-=T=-

Matt Lind

Feb 25, 2011, 6:35:07 PM2/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Wouldn’t be surprised to see more products get pushed into games.  There are more seats to sell in the games market than film.

Matt

André Adam

Feb 26, 2011, 2:36:40 AM2/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
To be fair, though, this type of interface has been around long before ICE.

Jean-Philippe Delisle

Feb 26, 2011, 3:14:40 AM2/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That’s true. The ICE interface is only a kind of flow chart and flow charts are really not new^^
If we see a lot of those “ICE interface”, it’s only because it’s a time saver. I did thing in ICE that could have take me 10 times what it takes me if I had to use C++ (and I’m still not close to dev in C++ with confidence).
Everybody is able to connect node, but writing script or programming... it can be repulsive. Also, Nodes are now a common thing in CG. To max guy it’s new^^ But anybody in compositing and rendering are used to node. It makes the job of developing 3D software easier. One open system with core element to upgrade instead of adding every little option that people needs. More freedom to the artist!!!
Particules is the best example in softimage. The old particule system with lot of PPGs in PPGs in PPGs... what a mess!!!

Animation is a area that need a lot more of those kind of system. For previz, being able to connect some nodes, to make a regular walk from here to there with a node that does the path finding with some state machines. Pure goodness.

Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:36 AM

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Feb 26, 2011, 9:44:05 AM2/26/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
true; but the graph interface in that demo is specifically an exact
copy of the ICE graph and compound editor, written by an ex-softimage
colleague, except with the M&E "dark look" skin. It's possible that
XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Jean-Philippe Delisle
<delis...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> That�s true. The ICE interface is only a kind of flow chart and flow charts
> are really not new^^
> If we see a lot of those �ICE interface�, it�s only because it�s a time

> saver. I did thing in ICE that could have take me 10 times what it takes me

> if I had to use C++ (and I�m still not close to dev in C++ with confidence).

> Everybody is able to connect node, but writing script or programming... it

> can be repulsive. Also, Nodes are now a common thing in CG. To max guy it�s

> new^^ But anybody in compositing and rendering are used to node. It makes
> the job of developing 3D software easier. One open system with core element
> to upgrade instead of adding every little option that people needs. More
> freedom to the artist!!!
> Particules is the best example in softimage. The old particule system with
> lot of PPGs in PPGs in PPGs... what a mess!!!
>
> Animation is a area that need a lot more of those kind of system. For
> previz, being able to connect some nodes, to make a regular walk from here
> to there with a node that does the path finding with some state machines.
> Pure goodness.

Eugen Sares

Feb 26, 2011, 10:21:16 AM2/26/11
Am 26.02.2011, 15:44 Uhr, schrieb Luc-Eric Rousseau <luce...@gmail.com>:

> true; but the graph interface in that demo is specifically an exact
> copy of the ICE graph and compound editor, written by an ex-softimage
> colleague, except with the M&E "dark look" skin. It's possible that
> XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future.

If so, don't forget a brightness param in the preferences.

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Jean-Philippe Delisle
> <delis...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> That’s true. The ICE interface is only a kind of flow chart and flow

>> charts
>> are really not new^^

>> If we see a lot of those “ICE interface”, it’s only because it’s a time

>> saver. I did thing in ICE that could have take me 10 times what it
>> takes me

>> if I had to use C++ (and I’m still not close to dev in C++ with

>> confidence).
>> Everybody is able to connect node, but writing script or programming...
>> it
>> can be repulsive. Also, Nodes are now a common thing in CG. To max guy

>> it’s

>> new^^ But anybody in compositing and rendering are used to node. It
>> makes
>> the job of developing 3D software easier. One open system with core
>> element
>> to upgrade instead of adding every little option that people needs. More
>> freedom to the artist!!!
>> Particules is the best example in softimage. The old particule system
>> with
>> lot of PPGs in PPGs in PPGs... what a mess!!!
>>
>> Animation is a area that need a lot more of those kind of system. For
>> previz, being able to connect some nodes, to make a regular walk from
>> here
>> to there with a node that does the path finding with some state
>> machines.
>> Pure goodness.

Eugen Sares

Feb 26, 2011, 10:33:49 AM2/26/11
Am 26.02.2011, 16:21 Uhr, schrieb Eugen Sares <soft...@keyvis.at>:

> Am 26.02.2011, 15:44 Uhr, schrieb Luc-Eric Rousseau
> <luce...@gmail.com>:
>
>> true; but the graph interface in that demo is specifically an exact
>> copy of the ICE graph and compound editor, written by an ex-softimage
>> colleague, except with the M&E "dark look" skin. It's possible that
>> XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future.
>
> If so, don't forget a brightness param in the preferences.

forgot to say please!
Best,

Jean-Philippe Delisle

Feb 27, 2011, 12:18:52 AM2/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future" ...like the darker max or maya Qt interface? ^^

true; but the graph interface in that demo is specifically an exact
copy of the ICE graph and compound editor, written by an ex-softimage
colleague, except with the M&E "dark look" skin.  It's possible that
XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Jean-Philippe Delisle
> That’s true. The ICE interface is only a kind of flow chart and flow charts
> are really not new^^
> If we see a lot of those “ICE interface”, it’s only because it’s a time
> saver. I did thing in ICE that could have take me 10 times what it takes me
> if I had to use C++ (and I’m still not close to dev in C++ with confidence).
> Everybody is able to connect node, but writing script or programming... it
> can be repulsive. Also, Nodes are now a common thing in CG. To max guy it’s
> new^^ But anybody in compositing and rendering are used to node. It makes
> the job of developing 3D software easier. One open system with core element
> to upgrade instead of adding every little option that people needs. More
> freedom to the artist!!!
> Particules is the best example in softimage. The old particule system with
> lot of PPGs in PPGs in PPGs... what a mess!!!
>
> Animation is a area that need a lot more of those kind of system. For
> previz, being able to connect some nodes, to make a regular walk from here
> to there with a node that does the path finding with some state machines.
> Pure goodness.

Schoenberger

Feb 28, 2011, 6:06:48 AM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
...like the darker - and slower - QT interface...

(just had a few artists which complained about that)

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

"XSI's UI will evolve into that darker look in the future" ....like the darker max or maya Qt interface? ^^

No virus found in this message.

javier gonzalez

Feb 28, 2011, 10:06:00 AM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Todd Akita

Feb 28, 2011, 10:16:14 AM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com, <softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
Yeah the response to QT at Psyop has not been entirely positive given the performance hit.

-T

Marc Brinkley

Feb 28, 2011, 1:31:42 PM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Yeah I have to admit, I am kinda torn. In some ways it looks nice but functions a little weird sometimes.

I would be curious to know what ADSK thinks about Qt now that Nokia is moving away from it with its recent announcement…that I had nothing to do with for the record. J

Marc Brinkley

GO GO GO

Microsoft Game Studios

Good Science

marc.brinkley [at] microsoft.com

Raffaele Fragapane

Feb 28, 2011, 10:47:37 PM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't know how much Qt should be blamed for, as opposed to implementation and architectural constraints and issues.
There are other Qt based products of considerable complexity out there that don't have the same performance issues. The aerospace and medviz industries have some incredibly data and interface heavy stuff running on it without complaints, as do the foundry, newtek (modo too?), daz and a number of other DCC apps.

Would be cool to hear from the autodesk developers who had to deal with the port actualy, but I guess the chances are slim to none other than the infomercials posted on Qt's own site.

tak...@earthlink.net

Feb 28, 2011, 11:15:48 PM2/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah, well all I know is that everyone's been turning it off (it's a preference apparently) so they can work.  So there's probably definitely some room for improvement somewhere.

-T
Feb 28, 2011, 11:17:12 PM2/28/11
to tak...@earthlink.net, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
woah, its a pref they can just turn off?

Raffaele Fragapane

Feb 28, 2011, 11:21:44 PM2/28/11
to tak...@earthlink.net, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Are we talking about Qt here?
Because Qt is the backend to the platform right now, and you can't turn it on and off.
Maybe you're thinking of viewport 2.0? If that, then yeah, it's a lollable hog right now and everybody I know has it off.
--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

tak...@earthlink.net

Mar 1, 2011, 12:00:34 AM3/1/11
to Raffaele Fragapane, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK then maybe it is viewport 2 that is the problem.  But they have been complaining that QT has been slow(er) as well.

To be honest I'm not sure which has been the problem (either?  both?) but all I've been hearing is grumbling.

-T

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 1, 2011, 5:31:46 AM3/1/11
to tak...@earthlink.net, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I used Maya some years ago only for modeling and shape creation, and now I'm stuck with it again.
I didn't liked it, as I found it counter intuitive, you almost need three or four more click for most modeling operations than in SI, and you alway have to
take care that your scene is not polluted with unused hidden nodes, reflection modeling that don't work for middle points, and so on....
Now with 2011, well there are many things that just stop working during the session, tool parameters that are not editable anymore, viewport's show options are lying to you,
I don't talk about the many crashes and freezes I have at modeling stage on a simple human character, and yes it's sloooooooooooowww....

Softimage, I miss you..

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

Stefan Kubicek

Mar 1, 2011, 5:35:14 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You just summarized my experiences pretty well.
I can't understand how anyone can possible get anything out of Maya within a reasonable time (compared to other apps).

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
1050 Vienna Wehrgasse 9 Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Stefan Kubicek

Mar 1, 2011, 5:48:40 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Btw, Pfeiffer Consulting did some research on 3dsMax and Maya 2011 productivity compared to earlier versions of the software.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100727005560/en/Pfeiffer-Publishes-Autodesk-Maya-Autodesk-3ds-Max

It's quite interesting to see that most enhancements they attribute the speed improvements of Maya 2011 over 2010 to
are features that have been in Softimage and 3dsMax for ages. I'd so love to see a similar study on productivity in Softimage compared to Maya.
But we all know that aint gonna happen :-)

Tim Leydecker

Mar 1, 2011, 6:42:41 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> I can't understand how anyone can possible get anything out of Maya within a reasonable time (compared to other apps).

I can recommend Maya because it helped me build up
the willingness to make sacrifices and gave me the
ability to suffer...

In the long-run, this might be regarded as lead capabilities.

If understood at all...

Cheers

tim

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 1, 2011, 6:53:17 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I can recommend Maya because it helped me build up
the willingness to make sacrifices and gave me the
ability to suffer...

In the long-run, this might be regarded as lead capabilities.

If understood at all...

You've made my day :)

Tim Leydecker

Mar 1, 2011, 7:01:58 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I wasn�t joking... :-)

Humbly yours,

Cheers

tim

Ureche Octavian

Mar 1, 2011, 6:59:35 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
so much maya hate in here.... you do realize experiences differ.
been using maya for as long as i can remember (v 2.0), and i'm being "stuck"
on a pretty large animation pitch project. i honesly can't complain. (linux here).
yeah, most of the time feels like i'm trying to draw with a hammer, but what it
lacks in finesse and artist friendliness, totally makes up for in the depth of its
sdk, and the ability to pretty much change and access anything anywhere.
i can sum up my experiences like this: xsi always took me there nicer and alot faster, but
when i got stuck...i usually got stuck for good. maya was always a pain and alot slower
to get from point a to b. but on the other hand i never found a situation in which i was
stuck. i could always write some simple mel script, or get one, or take one apart, and use
what i needed to get out of the mud. can't say the same for xsi (lack of scripts and people to ask maybe?).
now with ice, things have surely changed, but pipelines were already in place when that came around.

--
okto | visual
www.okto.ro

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 1, 2011, 8:09:42 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Could you give some concrete examples? Was it feature lacking, or pipe integration?
I know there are some specific fields where Softimage coudn't compete like paint effect,
fluids, ocean, and dynamcs in general. But today, with ICE and the third party tools that
came with it, things have changed and still do!
Now I also know how ICE can be time consuming , specially at the beginning.

Cheers

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

Ureche Octavian

Mar 1, 2011, 9:22:49 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
well, one of the first things that comes to mind ( and it has nothing to do with maya per se),
is ascii scene formats. i think that alone, has been a huge saver for me, when dealing
with large projects, loads of point caches, sim data, textures and u name it.
the ability to just open a scene in notepad++/gedit and just change stuff , references, values etc, in 20 sec, instead of 20 min, is awesome. plus, i've had corrupted scenes that i recovered simply by removing the part that was crashing, or by copy/pasting the content that was working. (same goes for nuke). i know u can parse xsi scene data via xml, but hitting F4
over a file is so much more elegant :)
i would love to see that one day in soft, cuz it sure saves my ass on a quasi daily basis.

cheers.

--
okto | visual
www.okto.ro

Ureche Octavian

Mar 1, 2011, 9:34:53 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
oh almost forgot...a proper key for stopping xsi's activity wouldn't hurt (hint: ESC key would do fine). for those of us stuck in wacom land...it's a nightmare.

--
okto | visual
www.okto.ro

David Gallagher

Mar 1, 2011, 11:12:44 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

And my experiences. I realllllly prefer modeling in Softimage.

The main thing I miss in Softimage modeling is pickwalking of points.
You can select a ring of point around an arm, say, then walk the
selection up/down the arm.

Has anyone found a way to do this in Softimage?
Dave

Alan Fregtman

Mar 1, 2011, 11:17:36 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Not quite the same... but you can select a component, alt+leftclick on
another and it selects the shortest path between the two.

Olivier Jeannel

Mar 1, 2011, 11:18:15 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Amen to that.

Thomas Helzle

Mar 1, 2011, 11:30:56 AM3/1/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a new "stop" button for the timeline now in 2012, but it seems
it's just there to prevent you from clicking several times in a row on
play to stop it.
Yeah, a dedicated, non-suffering-from-wacom-problems
stop-whatever-you-are-doing key or button (Big, Red and with the word
"PANIC" on it in friendly letters :-) ) would be great.

Well, maybe in 2013 ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

On 1 March 2011 17:18, Olivier Jeannel <olivier...@noos.fr> wrote:
> Amen to that.

> Le 01/03/2011 15:34, Ureche Octavian a �crit�:

peter boeykens

Mar 2, 2011, 3:24:08 AM3/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
20k$ savings for one person in a year ?
I'm not sure if I go to the bank and show I just bought a new maya license,
they will give me that mortgage just yet.

My no1. productivity enhancement request for XSI would be a little tool that
detects if one is using maya keyboard mapping.
If so, then every ten minutes it would pop up a message saying "this
software is not maya - please stop acting like it is" - and perhaps
gradually over time the popups would become less frequent. Surely with the
new viewport API that would be a piece of cake to make?

I don't know for you guys - but this would save me so much frustration every
day I'd end up twice as productive as a side effect. (and hint: I wouldn't
be the one getting the popups :-) )