ICE: number of particles in a state

Chris Marshall

Apr 15, 2011, 9:24:28 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello All,
Is it possible to easily obtain the number of particles in a particular State?
Thought it would be easy, but Friday fog is closing in!

Thanks,

Chris

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 15, 2011, 9:43:55 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Use the Get Set Size node like this :

NbParticlesInState.jpg

Cheers

Guillaume

Chris Marshall

Apr 15, 2011, 9:44:47 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK I'm using the Get Neighbouring Particles by State, which has an output of Number of Particles. So with Enable Cutoff Distance unchecked, this should give what I want, but if I display the values, I'm getting different amounts displayed. Actually maybe it's not taking into account the self particle.
Sorry, leave it with me.

as you were...
--
Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Chris Marshall

Apr 15, 2011, 9:52:22 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Guillaume,

My idea was right, but I suspect your solution processes somewhat quicker!!

Cheers

numberofparticlesinstate.jpg

Alan Fregtman

Apr 15, 2011, 10:04:17 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Bah! Guillaume beat me to the punch. :p

Here's my alternate take on it:
ICE_noOfParticlesInState.png
ICE_noOfParticlesInState.png

Ciaran Moloney

Apr 15, 2011, 10:26:53 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Careful there! I may be talking blarney, but I think get set sum may give the total from the previous frame when used in a simulated tree. Not sure if that's been fixed though.
ICE_noOfParticlesInState.png

Alan Fregtman

Apr 15, 2011, 10:32:24 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I wasn't aware of that bug but in my testing my tree evaluated fine.
Perhaps it was fixed already. (2011 SAP here.)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Ciaran Moloney
<moloney...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Careful there! I may be talking blarney, but I think get set sum may give the total from the previous frame when used in a simulated tree. Not sure if that's been fixed though.
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Alan Fregtman <alan.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Bah! Guillaume beat me to the punch. :p
>>
>> Here's my alternate take on it:

>> http://s3.darkvertex.com/hlinked/ice/ICE_noOfParticlesInState.png

Ciaran Moloney

Apr 15, 2011, 10:46:10 AM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Could be. I'm on 2010 here (for my sins).