Kinemocap questions

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 30, 2011, 11:56:36 AM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi,

Anyone beside Mark Schoennagel has Kinemocap ICE plugin for Kinect?

What do you think of it? What do  you use it for? Can you get some decent previz?

How much work is it to clean it up? Can you add to the existing mocap rig?

Can you mocap more than one person?

Thanks for all the information you can provide.

MAC

Adam Sale

Aug 30, 2011, 12:16:59 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Marc-Andre..

This isn't about the ICE plugin per se, but a friend of mine in the Vancouver area is making a web series based off of mocap using the Kinect. He gave a presentation at Sigg this year.. You can find the talk here: He's using Maya and Mo Builder.. but the idea should be the same.

It is somewhat limited, at this point, but I guess you can form your own opinions based on this vid.

adrian wyer

Aug 30, 2011, 12:19:25 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi Mark, we have it, but haven't really had a chance to get beyond intitial play around...... (been too busy to really dedicate some time to it)

it's as easy as Mark demonstrated to set up, although i have noticed one issue, in your mocap data you sometimes get a weird pose every 23rd frame or so, I think this was due to me starting a record session and not being in the view of the kinect. You really need 2 people to drive this; one on Soft, the other being the stunt guy!!)

the data you get back is pretty decent for previs/distant characters, bit of smooth in the fcurve editor was all that was needed to sort any glitches....

oh and make sure the kinect stays level once it's initialized, tried one test where we moved the kinect, and all the mocap we recorded was of a guy on a hill!!!

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
75-77 Margaret St.
London
W1W 8SY
++44(0) 207 580 0829

www.fluid-pictures.com

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 30, 2011, 1:27:19 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

That’s pretty interesting and different than a sales pitch. ;)

For 150$ anyway, I think we’ll just get it and do our test. It looks good enough for what I want to use it for.

Thanks Adam,

Marc-André

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 30, 2011, 1:28:27 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Thanks for the feedback Adrian. Think we’ll purchase one. His site is down so I’ll go through email I guess! Not so good to get the purchase approved. ;)

Steven Caron

Aug 30, 2011, 1:33:46 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
he probably has a lot of traffic lately, since getting plugged by mark.

Pablo Tufaro

Aug 30, 2011, 1:35:19 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey! we bought it and to be sicere it was useless for what we wanted to do.

We finnaly used ipi desktop capture, and worked like a charm. Nice and
fast captures.

Cheers!

P.

El 8/30/2011 2:28 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau escribi�:

> Thanks for the feedback Adrian. Think we�ll purchase one. His site is
> down so I�ll go through email I guess! Not so good to get the purchase
> approved. ;)

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Aug 30, 2011, 1:56:57 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Pablo!
looking at IPI desktop capture website, when you're saying that you are getting better result, do you mean with Sony PSEYE camera or getting better result even with the Kinect?

Thanks
MAC

Hey! we bought it and to be sicere it was useless for what we wanted to do.

We finnaly used ipi desktop capture, and worked like a charm. Nice and
fast captures.

Cheers!

P.

El 8/30/2011 2:28 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau escribi�:

> Thanks for the feedback Adrian. Think we'll purchase one. His site is
> down so I'll go through email I guess! Not so good to get the purchase

> approved. ;)

Pablo Tufaro

Aug 30, 2011, 2:08:12 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
With Kinect.

Heres what we did.... Its not our best production but we had to deliver
this commercial in 3 days after the shoot :S, and we could do it with
this workflow. We went to the shoot with all the animation done, and was
easy to direct the boy.

http://vimeo.com/27071159

P.

El 8/30/2011 2:56 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau escribi�:

Paul Griswold

Aug 30, 2011, 2:44:24 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hey pretty cool!

How much clean-up is involved?  From what I saw in Mark's demo the "rig" was shaking like mad.

For the price, it may be worth checking out!

Paul

El 8/30/2011 2:56 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau escribió:
Hey Pablo!
looking at IPI desktop capture website, when you're saying that you are getting better result, do you mean with Sony PSEYE camera or getting better result even with the Kinect?

Thanks
MAC

Pablo Tufaro

Aug 30, 2011, 3:01:39 PM8/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Almost nothing. It has a prety smooth curves filter, and other clean
curves options. It takes a little time to process but its automatic. It
exports a fbx null rig that softimage reads nicely. we position
constrained our rig efectors and thats it.

There are some disadvantages with the kinect method. The radius of
action is 2x2 mts. aprox, and it doesnt capture your arms if they go
behind the body. Things like that.

The 3 webcams method is more versatile but it needs more time to process
all the data and the cameras... :D

P.