How to put Ice_Tree topology op. above to Modeling stack

Vahan Sosoyan

Jun 30, 2011, 2:51:46 AM6/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
By the way I want to put my Ice Tree topology op. above to modeling stack ( Shape modeling ) ??? Any way to put it ontop ?

The reason is to build a symmetry modifier like in 3dsmax!

--
Vahan Sosoyan
3D Generalist

Stefan Kubicek

Jun 30, 2011, 3:08:15 AM6/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Vahan,

there seems to be a limitation that prevents topology ops from working above the modeling stack.
The whole topic has been discussed a bit more in detail in the PreserveUV thread one or two days ago on this list,
check out http://groups.google.com/group/xsi_list/browse_thread/thread/7323d45ee1753674/260d610be64d61e2?q=preserveUV&lnk=nl&

> By the way I want to put my Ice Tree topology op. above to modeling stack (
> Shape modeling ) ??? Any way to put it ontop ?
>
> The reason is to build a symmetry modifier like in 3dsmax!

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof
1050 Vienna Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Vahan Sosoyan

Jun 30, 2011, 5:43:53 AM6/30/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Stefan,

I'm absolutely agree with guys and hope Softimage dev team follow up this threads and they will improve Softimage's op. stacks flexiblities in the future ))

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Stefan Kubicek <s...@tidbit-images.com> wrote:
Hi Vahan,

there seems to be a limitation that prevents topology ops from working above the modeling stack.
The whole topic has been discussed a bit more in detail in the PreserveUV thread one or two days ago on this list,
check out http://groups.google.com/group/xsi_list/browse_thread/thread/7323d45ee1753674/260d610be64d61e2?q=preserveUV&lnk=nl&

By the way I want to put my Ice Tree topology op. above to modeling stack (
Shape modeling ) ??? Any way to put it ontop ?

The reason is to build a symmetry modifier like in 3dsmax!

Stefan Kubicek                   Co-founder
         keyvis digital imagery
        Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof

          1050 Vienna  Austria
       Phone:    +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at ---
--  This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Ed Schiffer

Jul 8, 2011, 7:40:39 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
sometimes I wonder if it wouldn`t be nice to have one "Post Modeling Stack" to keep these modeling operators on top of others...

piotrek marczak

Jul 8, 2011, 7:55:15 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+100

Eric Turman

Jul 8, 2011, 8:45:13 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That would be brilliant

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Ed Schiffer <edsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
sometimes I wonder if it wouldn`t be nice to have one "Post Modeling Stack" to keep these modeling operators on top of others...

--

-=T=-

Thomas Le Calvé

Jul 8, 2011, 9:55:27 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Or maybe just custom topo markers or folders ?

thomas Le Calvé

Eugen Sares

Jul 8, 2011, 9:58:13 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+ 1000

Freedom for those poor topo ops...!

About construction modes:
How about making the number of markers in the stack unlimited, starting
with one?
Add/place new markers wherever you like, and choose one to define the
stack location of the next operator.

Never fancied this 4-marker-approach too much. It's a concession to the
classic character rig/stack, which of course was/is the focus.
What about other scenarios, like parametric models which are possible with
ICE Modelling now?

Compared to Maya, the operator stack appears almost like a black box, or,
better, a industrial secret (patents involved?).
Although it's at the core of Softimage, I hope that doesn't mean there
can't any improvements be made ever again.

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:55:15 +0200, piotrek marczak <orig...@gmail.com>

Eric Turman

Jul 8, 2011, 10:07:45 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Compared to maya at least softimage's construction history works...I had to work on a Maya rig project recently (still feel dirty) and while we could re-order operators, if you tried to do so too much or put too much in, the whole thing came crashing down. For the life of me, I really can't understand why such horrible software (maya) it is still so popular.
--

-=T=-

Alan Fregtman

Jul 8, 2011, 10:21:23 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sometimes I think instead of advertising the flashy features like ICE
and Lagoa demos, they ought to put out a video showing the mundane
everyday things we Softies take for granted (like multiple
construction history stacks) that make Soft so awesome, flexible and
(generally) non-destructive.

Eugen Sares

Jul 8, 2011, 10:25:46 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:07:45 +0200, Eric Turman <i.ani...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Compared to maya at least softimage's construction history works...I had
> work on a Maya rig project recently (still feel dirty) and while we could
> re-order operators, if you tried to do so too much or put too much in,
> the
> whole thing came crashing down. For the life of me, I really can't
> understand why such horrible software (maya) it is still so popular.

Anyone know:
how does Houdini holding here? Can you bring it down as easy doing funny
op connections?

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Jul 8, 2011, 10:48:01 AM7/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Amen to that :)

2011/7/8 Eric Turman <i.ani...@gmail.com>

--
Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

Stefan Kubicek

Jul 10, 2011, 2:56:54 PM7/10/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Don't get me started! I tried to get rid of non-deformer history (the equivalent to "Freeze Modeling" in Soft)
on a character of which I had deleted polygons after having applied the soft skin operator -> Instant crash, this has happened in
older versions of Maya and in other projects I had the "pleasure" of working on with Maya too, hence the huge amount of skin weight saving/reloading scripts and tools that exist in the wild.
In contrast, the same procedure in Softimage is a piece of cake.

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery

Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof

Jens Lindgren

Jul 12, 2011, 7:14:33 PM7/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+10 000 to more Modeling stacks, preferably one just above the Modeling stack and one above the Post-Simulation stack.

/Jens

        Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof

          1050 Vienna  Austria
       Phone:    +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at ---
--  This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

--
Jens Lindgren
Lead Technical Director