Ice Tutorials

Sam J. Bowling

Apr 12, 2011, 1:36:41 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I recently ran across some great ICE tutorials from Paul Smith. The "Zombie
outbreak" set are great and very well done and thinking of them as Zombies
and Humans instead of particles seems to really help keep me interested. I
can already think of a lot of uses for the things he covers in this set and
it's all a lot easier than I would have imagined.

--
Sam J. Bowling

Rob Wuijster

Apr 12, 2011, 3:22:00 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes,

Paul's ICE videos are excellent, and his way of explaining things make ICE less 'complicated'...

Not sure if this was posted before, but the direct link is http://vimeo.com/user4895541/videos if people are interested.

Rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/
-----
No virus found in this message.

Tim Leydecker

Apr 12, 2011, 4:23:30 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
His ICE raycast/raytrace in viewport images look more natural
than a great many images I�ve produced sofar...

No gamma issues, an intuitive way to create a fisheye, soft lighting, .etc

Awesome... absolutely awesome.

Brilliant and fun.

Cheers

tim

Tim Crowson

Apr 12, 2011, 9:03:41 AM4/12/11
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!

+1 for Pooby!

Tim Crowson
Asset Artist

http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
Ph  615.885.6801 | Fx  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
t...@magneticdreams.com

I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!

+1 for Pooby!

Tim Crowson
Asset Artist

[http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif]

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214

Ph 615.885.6801 | Fx 615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com<http://www.magneticdreams.com/>
t...@magneticdreams.com<http://mail.magneticdreams.com/Main/t...@magneticdreams.com>

________________________________

cte...@comcast.net

Apr 12, 2011, 10:04:19 AM4/12/11
to Tim Crowson, ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hear hear!

Christopher Tedin
Creative Director
Dahlstrom

Tim Crowson

Apr 12, 2011, 10:18:06 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ah sorry! I didn't mean to imply that! Actually...it's quite the opposite...it takes a very creative mind to come up with some of the ICE solutions I've seen. I'm just jealous!

-Tim

Bradley Gabe

Apr 12, 2011, 10:45:27 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'd reply to that with some kind of phrasing of protest. But unfortunately I can't think of what to say.

Alan Fregtman

Apr 12, 2011, 11:08:56 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Perhaps we can string some ICE nodes together to compound a retort? :p

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 12, 2011, 11:10:36 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No problem :), it was just too easy to be sarcastic on this one and I couldn't resist ;).

Cheers !

Guillaume

On 4/12/2011 8:08 AM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:

You meant that TD's can't be creative ?

;)

Guillaume

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:04 AM

To: ro...@casema.nl<mailto:ro...@casema.nl>; soft...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com>

I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!

+1 for Pooby!

Tim Crowson

Asset Artist

[http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif]

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.

2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214

Ph 615.885.6801 | Fx 615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com<http://www.magneticdreams.com><http://www.magneticdreams.com/><http://www.magneticdreams.com/>

t...@magneticdreams.com<mailto:t...@magneticdreams.com><http://mail.magneticdreams.com/Main/t...@magneticdreams.com><http://mail.magneticdreams.com/Main/t...@magneticdreams.com>

________________________________

Eric Thivierge

Apr 12, 2011, 11:13:56 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I see what you did there!

Eric Thivierge
Technical Director
http://www.ethivierge.com

Christopher Tedin

Apr 12, 2011, 11:39:28 AM4/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
As Jim Gaffigan would say "That's a nerdy-ass joke!" ;-)

Sam J. Bowling

Apr 13, 2011, 12:21:44 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I see this complaint about so many time, but there are tons of artistic things done with ICE. I see people complaining about 3d programs not being artist friendly, yet there are tons of artistic renderings produced on a daily basis. Are the people who create these not artists? I think what most of these people are trying to say it that it's not easy, but by that definition, most art work would not be artist friendly.

I would consider a hammer and a chisel and a slab of stone, or working with clay much less artist friendly. After all it you make one wrong cut with your chisel, you have to start over, or if you don't wrap you clay project up well enough it will dry out, but it I make a wrong change all I have to do is hit undo. Most artists didn't master their art over night, of even in a few weeks, and I bet if anyone put as much effort into learning ICE as they did into learning the other aspects of art, they would be able to use ICE as proficiently as they use any of their other tools.

--
Sam J. Bowling

Matt Lowery

Apr 13, 2011, 8:15:14 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I here what you saying and for the most part I agree.
However with the exception of a few truely exceptional people, most
artist are not great logical thinkers. A logical mind is what's really
needed to understand the maths and programming logic in ICE, that's the
conundrum. To use your chisel and stone analogy, ICE is a bit like
showing a sculptor a fantastic new 'wonder' chisel that makes sculpting
way easier. But then instead of giving him the new 'wonder' chisel, you
give him the component parts of the machine that makes the 'wonder'
chisel and ask him to figure out how to put the machine together to make
the chisel....

m@

Sam J. Bowling wrote:
> I see this complaint about so many time, but there are tons of
> artistic things done with ICE. I see people complaining about 3d
> programs not being artist friendly, yet there are tons of artistic
> renderings produced on a daily basis. Are the people who create these
> not artists? I think what most of these people are trying to say it
> that it's not easy, but by that definition, most art work would not be
> artist friendly.
>
> I would consider a hammer and a chisel and a slab of stone, or working
> with clay much less artist friendly. After all it you make one wrong
> cut with your chisel, you have to start over, or if you don't wrap you
> clay project up well enough it will dry out, but it I make a wrong
> change all I have to do is hit undo. Most artists didn't master their
> art over night, of even in a few weeks, and I bet if anyone put as
> much effort into learning ICE as they did into learning the other
> aspects of art, they would be able to use ICE as proficiently as they
> use any of their other tools.
>

> At 06:03 AM 4/12/2011, you wrote:
>> I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in
>> it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not
>> without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy
>> to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!
>>
>> +1 for Pooby!
>>

>> *Tim Crowson
>> */Asset Artist
>> /
>> http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif
>> *

>> Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.

>> *2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
>> *Ph* 615.885.6801 | *Fx* 615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com

Olivier Jeannel

Apr 13, 2011, 9:05:01 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello list :)

I'm a little stuck here :

I'm working on some cartoon art direction. I make the char & set
modeling, as well as the textures.
The company I'm working with uses Maya for animation and rendering.
I used to give them an XSI scene from which they export the geometry
into some Maya format.

The big problem I'm facing is that most of the set is made of tall
cartoonish grass.
I made that grass using the classic xsi hair. These are several textured
objects instanciated on the hair strand (Enable Instance Group).

Now I'm asked if it is possible to generate some polymesh from these hair ?
I've tried via AndyHayes FXnuts SaveRender mesh, but with no luck.
I don't know if is because the Addon doesn't work with hair objects, or
if it is because I'm on 2011.5

Does any one have a good idea of how I could tranform those hair
instancied objects into some solid geometry ?

Thank's a lot,

Olivier

Tim Crowson

Apr 13, 2011, 9:25:23 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I really didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I fully realize that the problem is more with me than with ICE, simply because my mind doesn't work "programmatically" the way ICE needs it to. And as I said in another reply, I fully agree that it takes very creative people to come up ICE solutions. There's no hating going on here at all. In fact, ICE continues to impress, and the latest modeling tools it offers in 2012 are going to suck me right in!

At the very least, compounds make ICE more approachable for idiots like me. When I open up a compound and see half a dozen arrays and a bunch of math nodes with noodles crisscrossing like a web, I can't help but feel a bit intimidated. But that's fully my problem and shortcoming. I realize that there are those who have full control over that sort of thing and have no real problem with it. And statistically, those people seem to be in the TD category.

Tim Crowson
Asset Artist

http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214

>. I realize that there are those who have full control over that sort of thing and have no real problem with it. And statistically, those people seem to be in the TD category.

Don't worry, I don't think humans are comfortable at all with those ICE spaghettis graph. In fact ICE programming is facing the same problem that classic coding. If you don't organize your graph using compounds with good names, comments etc..., it will be very difficult to understand how things work. The creator of those spaghettis compounds is not smarter than you. It is just that as ICE is an interactive tool, he can "code" and see the results at the same time. This is good in absolute but it is also very bad as most of the time the "ICE designer" will dive in its graph without planning things too much. When things start to give nice results, the compound will be saved on disk and when its creator will re-open it two months later, the only thing he will want to do is run very far from its workstation :).

I'm the first one doing this mistake on lot of compounds and I'm trying to improve this area. I'm thinking about writing something on how to plane and organize your work when doing ICE programming, but it is something that need time, so can't say when I will be able to do it.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Christopher Tedin

Apr 13, 2011, 10:30:05 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well, at the very least, it allows some generous folks to post their
compounds and lets others like me putz around with them, reverse
engineer them and use them for their evil plans to take over the world,
so that's good.

At the very best, it lets someone with a slightly logical mind, but no
memory for coding syntax (I've learned and forgotten Fortran, Cobol,
Basic, ActionScript, etc...) be able to work an idea out with some
simple math and some visual logic. At least, it's a lot more fun than
coding and you can comment out the parts to keep it all organized in
your head-bone. :-)

Thanks for your help with all of this, Guillaume. And, thanks to Pooby
and Thiago for their work as well trying to spread the word about ICE's
concepts.

-Chris

Stephen Davidson

Apr 13, 2011, 11:04:16 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I am not a programmer, although I have played one in the past. :)
I have played with ICE to see if I could even figure out how to do simple tasks.
I have tried to follow "basic" ICE tutorials.
It seems I have been missing some very basic concepts.
It has to do with connecting inputs and outputs...
Just when I thought I have that simple task under my belt, I see
some output being connected in a way that I didn't expect.

I keep thinking there is some more basic level of understanding that I am missing.
I keep reading ICE posts, hoping that I will some day absorb some basic concepts.

Does anyone else, on this list feel this lost, or am I just giving everyone a good laugh.

I see the potential, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the basics.

Best Regards,
  Stephen P. Davidson
       (954) 552-7956

Check My BLOG

My Website is GREEN, Is yours?

affiliate_link

Christopher Tedin

Apr 13, 2011, 11:28:44 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The part that seems to be the hangup for me is "thinking backwards", that this node expects this input, and that comes from there, and you work backwards as well as forwards with your thinking, so there is no way to think in a linear fashion, that you think up and down the data streams to get your results. You can't just "visually" look at an ice graph and "get it", but you need to diagram it all out first to get the results you want. I think that's why they invented those plastic logic template things, so you can diagram out the flow of information:

http://www.cset.sp.utoledo.edu/sample/engt1050/engt1050_flowchart.html

Just so you feel better, I am having the same hangup. It's just getting your mind to work in this fashion that takes some time and practice. This comes more naturally to some, but the rest of us have to struggle to get through it. I think that's why Pooby's videos are so great. You can see someone like us, who admits he is not a programmer, make it work through just by wading through it.

Olivier Jeannel

Apr 13, 2011, 11:30:04 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm just like you. I keep doing Ice projects other and other again. I found the idea of using Ice higly exiting. I mean setting up procedural parametric stuff that you can play with once operationnal is just so pleasing way of working compared to a bunch of keyframes everywhere that are a disaster to modify to the client desire.
I love all that turbulence noisy natural mouvements stuff. Enhance the quality of the particle animation a lot.

But hell, it takes time to setup when you start. I rarely start from scratch. Usually I'm starting with complex compound made by other experienced users and tear them appart until I find what I want. That's because the global ice logic involves (I think) a lot of different concepts.
I think I could't work without an internet access. There are so many questions to ask and so many tutorials to watch other again.

But, when it works, it is IMHO a new and different pleasure in our dayly job.

Olivier

Robert Chapman

Apr 13, 2011, 11:37:10 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
imho it helps to 'do' stuff rather than only read stuff. I'm no math / programming wizard either but by simply exposing myself to the process , doing as many tutorials' (Thiago's on cmivfx & Brad's on Vimeo helped the most), after a few weeks struggling it starts to sink in and becomes natural, its now very 'normal' , I can read others trees and get an understanding of whats going on and I couldn't approach any FX task without things through in an ICE way. yeah it may be a struggle initially but its well worth it.

Graham Bell

Apr 13, 2011, 11:38:05 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yep, I get what you're saying and this is something I'm hoping to try and do for my blog.
I want to try and go to a very low level in explaining ICE, as its often the only way Maya and especially Max guys understand it. ICE has been around for a while not, but I still come across people who don't, for want of a better term, 'get it'

Ph 615.885.6801<tel:615.885.6801> | Fx 615.889.4768<tel:615.889.4768> | www.magneticdreams.com<http://www.magneticdreams.com><http://www.magneticdreams.com/>
[...]

[http://www.3danimationmagic.com/3Danimation_magic_logo_sign.jpg]

<http://www.3danimationmagic.com>Check My BLOG<http://3danimationmagic.blogspot.com>

My Website is GREEN, Is yours?

[affiliate_link]<http://www.fatcow.com/join/index.bml?AffID=626478>

winmail.dat

Christopher Tedin

Apr 13, 2011, 11:59:06 AM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh, forgot to thank Bradley Gabe as well. Thanks all for your tutorials. Also, Aaron Kent has some very simple tutorials too, like this one called "Simple use of ICE". http://vimeo.com/19511854

Chris Johnson

Apr 13, 2011, 1:19:57 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm very much in the same light....without the existing database of
tutorials and compunds I'd be lost. I usual have to take apart a couple
cars just to make one new car work....I keep waiting for that moment
when my head gets it....keep the examples and tutorials coming!

Andy Nicholas

Apr 13, 2011, 1:47:39 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> I'm thinking about writing something on how to plane
> and organize your work

Yep, me too. I've been planning on writing a tutorial or do a video on it
for a while. There are some very simple rules that you can follow.

The most useful one I've found so far is to never share values between
separate branches. The temptation is to try to optimise by reusing the
result from one node multiple times. But it rarely results in any
optimisation, and usually results in misunderstandings. People think the
results are cached, but they're not, and the second time you evaluate it's
entirely possible that it'll give you a new value that is technically
correct, but which you won't be expecting.

The other thing that goes hand in hand with this tip, is to cache any
values that are going to be reused at the top of your tree in attributes.
That way you can reuse the results as much as you like.

If you follow both of these tips, you automatically optimise the tree, and
you also make it more readable with fewer nodes and no spaghetti.

Admittedly, it's not particularly clear writing this down, but I'll try to
do a blog post on this soon.

As far as learning about ICE goes, it's just about maths and logic. Most
people are logical, but it's making that work properly with the numbers
that can be tricky. Getting a good feel for numbers is essential, and that
only comes through practice.

To extend the analogy already mentioned (and sound highly pretentious at
the same time): if stone is the medium used by sculptors, then numbers are
the medium of an ICE artist ;-)

Cheers!
Andy

Grahame Fuller

Apr 13, 2011, 2:19:48 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I experimented with a technique for organizing and documenting trees in this tutorial: http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php/Water_Ripples_in_ICE

Instead of comments and group comments, I relied mostly on compounds so that I could name them and their ports -- even wrapping a single node in a compound if appropriate. I think it worked quite well and the tree was very readable -- it was originally something I shared on the v7 beta list but I didn't revisit that scene to make the tutorial until a long time later. Unfortunately I haven't kept up that habit as well as I should have.

gray

winmail.dat

Matt Lind

Apr 13, 2011, 2:28:36 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language.  If you’re organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

Apr 13, 2011, 2:27:58 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Completely agree with you Andy,

Except that I don't think that is it math who is hard to understand. The difficult part with ICE is to understand contexts.
All is context dependant, and it can be tricky to deal with at the beginning. For example in 2012 with have a node to convert a set of point positions to an array of positions. For new users, it looks like it is the same thing ! I think this level of abstraction is more complicate to understand than doing math in ICE (that can be simple or complicate like in every app using math).

Cheers

Guillaume

I picked up Thiago's scalar tutorials on CMIVFX and was watching them the other night.  He does the same thing.  When something gets to a certain size, put it in a compound & expose & name the ports.  Until then I really hadn't thought about compounds as a way to organize ICE, but it really makes a lot of sense.

-Paul

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 13, 2011, 2:35:59 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
>Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language

A compound can just be used as a #define too ;).
For example using a compound named "Invalid Index" instead of an integer of value "-1" can help understanding a graph more quickly.

Guillaume

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language. If you're organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

I picked up Thiago's scalar tutorials on CMIVFX and was watching them the other night. He does the same thing. When something gets to a certain size, put it in a compound & expose & name the ports. Until then I really hadn't thought about compounds as a way to organize ICE, but it really makes a lot of sense.

-Paul

winmail.dat

Grahame Fuller

Apr 13, 2011, 2:36:16 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to "Radius" can greatly improve the readability - much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language. If you're organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

Apr 13, 2011, 2:52:52 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

IMHO – I don’t agree with that approach to compounds.  It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

ICE Editor should be stressing ‘form follows function’.  When you use compounds for naming or providing comments and nothing else, it confuses the issue and lesser experienced users.  They’ll assume any compound is something they can cut n’ paste into another ICETree and expect it to do something different.  In the case of a ‘radius’ compound, if it only consists of a single node of a different name, then you’re just adding bloat to the ICEtree with not much gained.  Over time as these compounds are accumulated and mixed n’ match over many ICEtrees, you get a big mess that somebody, like me, has to dive in one day and untangle the mess because something exploded and nobody knows what went wrong or how to fix it.  No thank you.  Been there, done that too many times already.  I would strongly stress better attention to organizing via function as a good ounce of prevention.  A pound of cure isn’t always available.

Form follows function.  If anything, I’d rework the comment system to be a little better.  The group comment node should have the ability to associate itself with specific node(s) in the ICETree so when the group comment is moved around, the nodes travel along with it.  If a node inside the group comment is dragged around the editor, then the group comment node should resize itself to keep it contained within.  That’s my one gripe with the group comment node right now, click “rearrange” in the ICE tree editor and all the nodes associated with the group comment go elsewhere making the comment useless.  For that reason alone I tend to use the built-in comment of each node to keep track of what’s happening.  In some ways the group comment node should be packagable like a compound, but without hiding the internal details.

Matt

My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to “Radius” can greatly improve the readability – much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language.  If you’re organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

I picked up Thiago's scalar tutorials on CMIVFX and was watching them the other night.  He does the same thing.  When something gets to a certain size, put it in a compound & expose & name the ports.  Until then I really hadn't thought about compounds as a way to organize ICE, but it really makes a lot of sense.

-Paul

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 13, 2011, 3:06:27 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> IMHO - I don't agree with that approach to compounds. It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

Using compounds as a constant is the style that we promote here . For example, take a look in the preset manager under Constant and you will find a compound named "Pi"...

But style is a personal choice, so use any way you like ;).

Guillaume

[...]

Matt Lind

Apr 13, 2011, 4:08:31 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Why don’t you just create a node with a comment attached?  Doesn’t creating compounds add overhead?

Matt

> IMHO – I don’t agree with that approach to compounds.  It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

Using  compounds as a constant is the style that we promote here . For example, take a look in the preset manager under Constant and you will find a compound named “Pi”…

But style is a personal choice, so use any way you like ;).

Guillaume

My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to “Radius” can greatly improve the readability – much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language.  If you’re organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

Apr 13, 2011, 4:29:11 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a tiny overhead to the pre-evaluation phase but in most cases the effect would be swamped by the evaluation itself. I doubt it would be noticeable, even if you ran timer tests over and over.

To my mind the benefit of readability far outweighs any performance hit. For example,

Why don't you just create a node with a comment attached? Doesn't creating compounds add overhead?

Matt

> IMHO - I don't agree with that approach to compounds. It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

Using compounds as a constant is the style that we promote here . For example, take a look in the preset manager under Constant and you will find a compound named "Pi"...

But style is a personal choice, so use any way you like ;).

Guillaume

My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to "Radius" can greatly improve the readability - much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language. If you're organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

Apr 13, 2011, 4:39:54 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is maybe an overhead once stored on disk (two nodes instead of one). But really it should not be the reason to not use compounds !
This overhead is so negligible compared to the visual comfort of using nodes instead of comments.

It is exactly like reading a code like this :

Case A (like using comments):

// This value is there to describe the area of my triangle
float t

Case B (like using compounds):

float triangleArea

So compound are the way to go to describe a constant. Comments nodes are there to add ...some useful comments.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Why don't you just create a node with a comment attached? Doesn't creating compounds add overhead?

Matt

> IMHO - I don't agree with that approach to compounds. It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

Using compounds as a constant is the style that we promote here . For example, take a look in the preset manager under Constant and you will find a compound named "Pi"...

But style is a personal choice, so use any way you like ;).

Guillaume

My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to "Radius" can greatly improve the readability - much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language. If you're organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

Apr 13, 2011, 5:15:39 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

It’s subjective, not objective.  I still don’t agree with compounds being any better for this particular niche task.

The issue I’ve seen in the past is users have multiple compounds and names to represent the same thing.  Over time it confuses people trying to read the graph because one thing is referenced by a gazillion different names.  One day things go boom and it’s a real mess trying to figure it out and clean it up - And it always happens at the most stressful time before a deadline.

In practice it’s better to force a spade to be called a spade.

Matt

Why don’t you just create a node with a comment attached?  Doesn’t creating compounds add overhead?

Matt

> IMHO – I don’t agree with that approach to compounds.  It sets the wheels in motion for more problems downstream with lesser attentive users.

Using  compounds as a constant is the style that we promote here . For example, take a look in the preset manager under Constant and you will find a compound named “Pi”…

But style is a personal choice, so use any way you like ;).

Guillaume

My point is that they can also be used to document a tree. For example, taking a simple Scalar node, turning it into a compound, and renaming it to “Radius” can greatly improve the readability – much better than comments in most cases.

gray

Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language.  If you’re organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality.

Matt

I picked up Thiago's scalar tutorials on CMIVFX and was watching them the other night.  He does the same thing.  When something gets to a certain size, put it in a compound & expose & name the ports.  Until then I really hadn't thought about compounds as a way to organize ICE, but it really makes a lot of sense.

-Paul

Steven Caron

Apr 13, 2011, 5:22:40 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i am not seeing the difference between what grahame and guillaume are suggestion and what you mentioned earlier...

"Think of a compound as a functions or a class in a programming language.  If you're organized, the compound will be a generic task that can be reused in any ICETree that calls for the functionality."

Matt Lind

Apr 13, 2011, 5:42:41 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

We’re discussing a case of a compound consisting of a single node.  What’s the point of that?

Steven Caron

Apr 13, 2011, 5:52:54 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ok i see.. subjective yes. you prefer comments attached to nodes, they prefer wrapping nodes with compounds

Matt Lind

Apr 13, 2011, 6:00:39 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I prefer a system where the labeling doesn’t obfuscate the tree.

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 13, 2011, 6:03:54 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I prefer a system where the labeling doesn’t obfuscate the tree.

That's why I tend to avoid comments :)

//this is my name
GL

Thomas Helzle

Apr 13, 2011, 7:11:54 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well, IMO this discussion rather points to a general weakness of nodes in XSI:

- The current node comments get in the way, are flimsy and tedious to use.
- One-node-compounds go against my grain as well as creating compounds
just for naming.
- Rendernodes can be renamed, but then you no longer know what kind they are...

I personally would love to be able to give every node a name directly
with F2 and STILL be able to see what kind of node it is. So I'd give
every node a name-property that can be set with F2 and that would be
bold and on top. Directly below that in normal print I'd put the node
description.
I didn't test it in a mockup, but that would be the first direction
I'd look into.

The current comments could maybe get a "Flyout-Flag" so they are only
visible when you go over the node with the mouse (there's a comment
icon on commented nodes already, so you'd know it's there) or could
even just be visible when the node is double clicked inside the
standard ppg - scratch the separate window for comments AFAIC.

This combined with group comments which "know" what they contain and
grow and shrink and move with that content would make creating
readable trees much easier IMO.

Cheers,

Thomas

On 14 April 2011 00:03, Guillaume Laforge
<guillaume....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>�I prefer a system where the labeling doesn�t obfuscate the tree.

> That's why I tend to avoid comments :)
>
> //this is my name
> GL
>

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:
>>

>> I prefer a system where the labeling doesn�t obfuscate the tree.

>> Matt

Matt Lind

Apr 13, 2011, 8:03:09 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

> This combined with group comments which "know" what they contain and
> grow and shrink and move with that content would make creating
> readable trees much easier IMO.

Funny you should say that, I had submitted a feature request for this very thing earlier today.

As for the 'flyout flag', I think you mean 'Tooltip'. Personally I'd rather see the comments in full view as I often need to see comments from multiple nodes at a time.

Matt

Cheers,

Thomas

>>�I prefer a system where the labeling doesn't obfuscate the tree.

> That's why I tend to avoid comments :)
>
> //this is my name
> GL
>

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:
>>

>> I prefer a system where the labeling doesn't obfuscate the tree.

>> Matt

Sam J. Bowling

Apr 13, 2011, 11:23:14 PM4/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
If you watch the videos I linked, they may help out a lot. In this video set http://vimeo.com/20329976 he uses ICE to create a camera and eventually adds ins reflections and DOF and while that sounds extremely difficult, it's actually really easy the way he does it.

I'm not saying ICE is easy, you have to learn how to think a bit differently when working with it, but you have to learn to think a bit differently with any new artist tool. When I started learning to draw realistically I had to learn to look at things differently and think a bit differently. When I started with 3D it was the exact same thing. Also, I didn't learn either one of these techniques on my own or over night. I spent a lot of time practicing and took classes or bought books/tutorials for the subject and I'm guessing it was like this for most artists. I just think it's real easy to forget how much time and effort you put into leaning your "art" and I think people claiming something isn't artist friendly is becoming an excuse for people who don't want to put the effort into learning something new. I'm not trying to pick on anyone on the list, just trying to get people to remember what it was like when they started with their other kinds of art.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Christopher Tedin <cte...@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Helzle

Apr 14, 2011, 6:43:17 AM4/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Matt,

>> Funny you should say that, I had submitted a feature request for this very thing earlier today.

great! - ATM group comments are pretty tedious IMO - good to know
others feel the same way ;-)

>> As for the 'flyout flag', I think you mean 'Tooltip'.
>> Personally I'd rather see the comments in full view as I often need to see comments from multiple nodes at a time.

That's why I would like to have those options as "flags" like wordwrap etc. ;-)
This way, everybody could configure this as needed. Some comments you
want to see in the tree - some always, some as flyouts/tooltips - some
longer comments or notes on usage etc. may only make sense in the ppg
or are mostly notes to yourself...
So we would not only have "word wrap" and "auto resize" but also
"flyout" (or "show on mouse over") and "ppg only" checkboxes.

If commenting trees would be made easier, more people would do it... :-)

Cheers,

Thomas

Chris Marshall

Apr 14, 2011, 7:05:18 AM4/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Above all else, Obfuscate is a good word!

On 13 April 2011 23:00, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:

I prefer a system where the labeling doesn’t obfuscate the tree.

Matt

--
Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited
029 2002 5762
07730 533 115

David Rivera

Apr 15, 2011, 12:36:06 PM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There´s an ICE compound over the AREA that you can use to simulate grass.
Downside it´s it doesn´t work well on close up shots (strand tends to fix it´s size - camera position related)
but that´s something you can fix opening the grass compound.

I believe you need to re-make those grass blades with ICE compound so you can port it to Maya.
Since you got your instances, it will not be a problem feeding the ice tree the instances (as group).

If you combed the grass, then that´s someting I´d fix once I have the first "set" of grass blades created.
Then, overimpose another grid emmitter with the desired randomized (artistically oriented) grass blades,
which would be less numbered than the general field....all though the compound I´ve seen offers you
control over the twists of the blades.

Bests.
David.

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 15, 2011, 12:52:04 PM4/15/11
to David Rivera, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> strand tends to fix it´s size - camera position related

Use the "Set Segment Size Mode" compound to choose between Softimage Unit and Pixel Unit for your strands size.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Apr 15, 2011, 12:57:42 PM4/15/11
to t...@magneticdreams.com, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
What I've seen are artists refusing to learn ICE, because it's too technical. My answer to them is: "Well... you learned the render tree, and it's quite technical. What makes you think you can't learn ICE?".

ICE is more technical than the render tree, yes. And it takes an experienced programmer's mind to come up with tools like Melena, yes. But I believe artists can learn parts of it and still be able to do basic tasks in it and slowly learn more and more.

Tools that allow you to do everything while keeping performance are not going to be simple. I think Softimage managed to get the right balance of "what you can do with ICE", it's performance and it's simplicity.

On 12/04/2011 09:03, Tim Crowson wrote:
I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!

+1 for Pooby!

Tim Crowson
Asset Artist

http://www.magneticdreams.com/md_logo.gif

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
Ph  615.885.6801 | Fx  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com

Alan Fregtman

Apr 15, 2011, 1:15:16 PM4/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing
which ones to keep." -- Scott Adams

Make mistakes... many, many mistakes. One of the best ways to learn
ICE! ;) �(Also... save often.)

I remember in the beta for v7 there was almost no ICE documentation
early on. That was hard; making sense of this alien form of plugging
logic. You guys have it easy now, with all those compounds and
tutorials. :p

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Francois Lord <flord...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I've seen are artists refusing to learn ICE, because it's too technical. My answer to them is: "Well... you learned the render tree, and it's quite technical. What makes you think you can't learn ICE?".
>
> ICE is more technical than the render tree, yes. And it takes an experienced programmer's mind to come up with tools like Melena, yes. But I believe artists can learn parts of it and still be able to do basic tasks in it and slowly learn more and more.
>
> Tools that allow you to do everything while keeping performance are not going to be simple. I think Softimage managed to get the right balance of "what you can do with ICE", it's performance and it's simplicity.
>
> On 12/04/2011 09:03, Tim Crowson wrote:
>
> I'm of the opinion of that although ICE has that word "creative" in it, it really is for TDs, and not very artist-friendly (at least not without the help of a TD first!). Paul's videos make things so easy to understand. I wish there was more content like that out there!
>
> +1 for Pooby!
>

> Tim Crowson
> Asset Artist

Chris Marshall

Apr 28, 2011, 5:23:02 AM4/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello,
Just a heads-up on a demo I've done aimed at non-tech folk and how they might approach tackling building ICE effects. If it's of use I plan more, but we'll see how it goes:-

the effect I'm describing is this:-

If you get far enough through, you can enjoy the cat joining in!! ;-P
Cheers
Chris

Tim Crowson

Apr 28, 2011, 10:49:55 AM4/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you Chris!
-Tim C.

Chris Marshall

Apr 28, 2011, 2:02:24 PM4/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Cheers!

Morten Bartholdy

Apr 29, 2011, 4:50:51 AM4/29/11
to Softimage Userlist
Thank you very much Chris - it is generous of you and much appreciated.

--
Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
3D/VFX Supervisor

Chris Marshall

Apr 29, 2011, 5:00:56 AM4/29/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No problem. It was a pretty simple effect to show, but potentially very useful to use.

Paul Smith

Apr 29, 2011, 6:52:10 AM4/29/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Chris.

And thanks also to others for the compliments about my tutorials

Paul

Sent from my iPhone