V-Ray for Softimage released

Ben Rogall

Feb 20, 2012, 9:54:10 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Rob Wuijster

Feb 20, 2012, 10:08:54 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's pronounced soft imaazj..... not soft image....
They should know that by now ;-)

Other than that, great release! It's good to see more renderers for Softimage. More choice = better!!
:-)

Rob
\/-------------\/----------------\/

On 20-2-2012 15:54, Ben Rogall wrote:
http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_softimage.html?our=0215

-----
No virus found in this message.

Cristobal Infante

Feb 20, 2012, 10:19:30 AM2/20/12
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Any ideas of price?

Trying to check them out but it's sending me straight to resellers...

Darrin Hofmeyr

Feb 20, 2012, 10:29:25 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Pricing is at the bottom of that page.
The official suggested end user price of a single new license of V-Ray
1.5 for Softimage is 890 Euro/ 1230 USD/ 770 GBP

--
Darrin Hofmeyr
Animation Supervisor

Darrin Hofmeyr

Feb 20, 2012, 10:30:02 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Chaos Group products are licensed per machine and with one V-Ray for
Softimage license you can start and use V-Ray GUI and tools inside the
platform, start one local render job, speed up batch rendering using
up to 5 render slaves with V-Ray Standalone or up to 5 render nodes
with Softimage batch.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Darrin Hofmeyr <dbho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pricing is at the bottom of that page.
> The official suggested end user price of a single new license of V-Ray
> 1.5 for Softimage is 890 Euro/ 1230 USD/ 770 GBP

Darrin Hofmeyr

Feb 20, 2012, 10:31:04 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just seen that Maya get 10 render nodes

"Chaos Group products are licensed per machine and with one V-Ray for

Maya license you can start and use V-Ray GUI and tools inside Maya
platform, start one local render job, speed up rendering with up to 10
render slaves for Distributed rendering using V-Ray Standalone, speed
up rendering with up to 10 render nodes using Maya batch."

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Darrin Hofmeyr <dbho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chaos Group products are licensed per machine and with one V-Ray for
> Softimage license you can start and use V-Ray GUI and tools inside the
> platform, start one local render job, speed up batch rendering using
> up to 5 render slaves with V-Ray Standalone or up to 5 render nodes
> with Softimage batch.

Stefan Kubicek

Feb 20, 2012, 10:30:42 AM2/20/12
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com, Cristobal Infante
It's there right under the demo videos:

"The official suggested end user price of a single new license of V-Ray 1.5 for Softimage is 890 Euro/ 1230 USD/ 770 GBP"

> Any ideas of price?

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof
1050 Vienna Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Francois Lord

Feb 20, 2012, 10:35:44 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
From the web page.

"The official suggested end user price of a single new license of V-Ray 1.5 for Softimage is 890 Euro/ 1230 USD/ 770 GBP"

"Chaos Group products are licensed per machine and with one V-Ray for Softimage license you can start and use V-Ray GUI and tools inside the platform, start one local render job, speed up batch rendering using up to 5 render slaves with V-Ray Standalone or up to 5 render nodes with Softimage batch."

"Note: Prices do not include dongle/VAT/shipping"

Dongle? wtf?

piotrek marczak

Feb 20, 2012, 10:38:35 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yep a green usb stick Puszczam oczko
(afair dongle cost is 5$+shipping)
wlEmoticon-winkingsmile[1].png

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Feb 20, 2012, 10:54:42 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

So you don’t get VRay 2.0 and the rendering is limited to 5 machines whereas it’s unlimited for MAX?!!

Feb 20, 2012, 10:55:11 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Very good news!!
I remember the presentation of the beta by Rusko Ruskov in Siegen/Germany
October 2009...

Am 20.02.2012, 15:54 Uhr, schrieb Ben Rogall
<XSI_...@shaders.moederogall.com>:

> http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_softimage.html?our=0215

Simon Reeves

Feb 20, 2012, 11:16:48 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So max has unlimited batch licences, and vray matches that.
Softimages has 5, so vray has 5
Does that mean Maya has 10 and Vray has 10?

Still it's an odd policy to be different for different software I think.

Rob Chapman

Feb 20, 2012, 11:32:12 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
typical!

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Feb 20, 2012, 11:41:39 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Ya. I thought VRay would hurt Arnold but I’m pretty reassured now. :P

Feb 20, 2012, 11:48:18 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Did Autodesk change the licencing numbers when they took over Soft? Or was it always 5?

Stephen Blair

Feb 20, 2012, 11:49:46 AM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

It was always 5 Batch licenses with XSI.
Maya includes 5 Batch too, btw.

Ya. I thought VRay would hurt Arnold but I'm pretty reassured now. :P

Ben Beckett

Feb 20, 2012, 12:07:33 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah but as a single user wanting one licence it much cheaper than Arnold, who only sell 5 at around £5000.

Kamen Lilov

Feb 20, 2012, 12:23:38 PM2/20/12
On 2/20/2012 5:54 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau wrote:

So you don’t get VRay 2.0 and the rendering is limited to 5 machines whereas it’s unlimited for MAX?!!

In fact, the core is VRay 2.0 and most of the shiny new stuff (VRayHairMtl, dynamic geometry and various internal optimizations) from the core is included.

The version is numbered 1.5 because it does not yet support RT which now comes standard (included) with the flagship products, VRay for Max and VRay for Maya.

Matt Morris

Feb 20, 2012, 12:39:10 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks very promising!
--
www.matinai.com

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Feb 20, 2012, 12:47:45 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Aaah! Thanks for the clarification. It can be misleading. ;)

So all in all, I can exchange VRay scenes between MAX and Softimage without a problem then!

VRay RT is super interesting. Hopefully it makes it way this side too.

Feb 20, 2012, 1:07:12 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I emailed VRay support a week or so ago, and was assured that the RT was one of the first things they were working on implementing after the initial 1.5 release.

Thats the feature we really want here.
Just hope it arrives withing the year.

Adam

Simon Reeves

Feb 20, 2012, 1:28:05 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Marc-Andre:
I've been looking at this recently (while I'm working in max but trying to do all I can in Soft :) ) and you can do some things.. VRay proxies work between both apps fine.. Shaders are supported to a point with vrscenes - which is the format you export for standalone.

So not perfect, but there are ways to do some stuff..

Regards,

Simon Reeves
Freelance 3D VFX Artist

Rob Chapman

Feb 20, 2012, 6:45:53 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
just watched the VRay hair & fur video - good stuff! so far its been an educational explanation, simple to setup, fast rendering, & looks fantastic. so..   whats the catch?  theres always a catch right?  :)

phil harbath

Feb 20, 2012, 6:55:06 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yeah, the catch is it took 8 years to get here.
Feb 20, 2012, 7:54:32 PM2/20/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
does anyone know if Rendermap is supported with vray?

james,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Greg Punchatz <gr...@janimation.com> wrote:
> I have not seen a render region in any of the demos and it seems they have

> to press �render frame� to see any changes�does anyone know if that is a

> real issue or just an oversight in the demo vids?
>

> Does Vray have a progressive rendering like Arnold?
>

> Thanks
>
> Greg

Kamen Lilov

Feb 20, 2012, 8:12:58 PM2/20/12
On 2/21/2012 2:35 AM, Greg Punchatz wrote:

I have not seen a render region in any of the demos and it seems they have to press “render frame” to see any changes…

It's just a choice for the demo video. Render regions work as expected. Export speed may be an issue if you are tweaking the geometry a lot, but that applies to all Softimage-integrated renderers (even MR), as the host itself is somewhat slow at tesselation.

Does Vray have a progressive rendering like Arnold?

That would be V-Ray RT. Not in this version of VRay | Softimage; but integration with RT is priority number one for the next upgrade.

Kamen Lilov

Feb 20, 2012, 11:04:20 PM2/20/12
On 2/21/2012 2:54 AM, James De Colling wrote:
> does anyone know if Rendermap is supported with vray?

Not yet. But we are keenly interested in adding support for baked
textures, due to the important role Softimage plays in game development.

PM me (at kamen...@chaosgroup.com) for more info.

pet...@skynet.be

Feb 21, 2012, 5:18:15 AM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
How is rendertree support with VRay?
There’s so many usefull nodes/shaders coming with softimage, some obscure ones being really essential – which ones will work and is there  documentation on this?
And the other way around, what shaders come with Vray? (this is probably pushing things – will they work on other renderers?)

A renderer without very extensive support of the rendertree has only limited appeal.
Rendering is half of the equation, the other half is making things look they way you want them to.
That is the main caveat with third party renderers IMO: you have to redo the shading networks, and stick to basics and third party provided nodes.
I’d love to be wrong though.

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:12 AM

Juhani Karlsson

Feb 21, 2012, 6:35:18 AM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great to see this happen! : )

- Juhani

pet...@skynet.be

Feb 21, 2012, 7:26:56 AM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh, and another question I should add: is there a ‘unified cross platform licensing’ policy for Vray?

I’ve had my producer asking me spontaneously if I wanted VRay on Softimage – I must say I never had that happen before a producer asking to add tools Winking smile.
Studio has Vray for max already and the whole ‘standardise on Vray’ idea sounds appealing – buying duplicate licenses for softimage/max/maya less so.
Platform independent licenses, that would unlock Vray for whatever supported soft that requests it, would be great, and go a long way in replacing mental ray.

Finally, Autodesk offering the choice of renderer that comes with the software would be great too.
It’s a shame to think of all the licensing money flowing from autodesk to mental images that doesn’t translate into product innovation.
Offering the choice of preferred rendering engine, directing the flow of money to the software clients believe in, could stirr things up for mental images, and perhaps kick them out of catatonia. Or not.
wlEmoticon-winkingsmile[1].png

Rob Wuijster

Feb 21, 2012, 7:31:10 AM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
My experience is that with every 3rd party renderer, you loose some of the nodes/shaders available with the MR integration.
But some aren't needed anymore (no more shortcuts), some might be missing and some are added by 3rd party writers.

Having complete rendertrees move over from renderer to renderer would be awesome, but with all the different approaches to rendering, this is not going to happen any time soon I guess.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but atm even V-ray shaderlibraries exist only in their own eco-system, it's not possible to swap/move shaders from max to maya to softimage.

Rob Wuijster
E ro...@casema.nl

\/-------------\/----------------\/

On 21-2-2012 12:35, Juhani Karlsson wrote:
Great to see this happen! : )

- Juhani

�
A renderer without very extensive support of the rendertree has only limited appeal.
Rendering is half of the equation, the other half is making things look they way you want them to.
That is the main caveat with third party renderers IMO: you have to redo the shading networks, and stick to basics and third party provided nodes.
I�d love to be wrong though.
�
�
�
�
�

Rob Wuijster

Feb 21, 2012, 7:35:40 AM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No idea about licensing, it would be the logical step though.

Regarding Mental Ray, looking at the ongoing integration into the AD CAD apps, and fxb transfer of materials between those apps, MR isn't going away any time soon. For us 3d people who are getting tired of MR getting long in the tooth, there's a nice set of alternatives now.
Rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

On 21-2-2012 13:26, pet...@skynet.be wrote:
[...]

Tim Leydecker

Feb 21, 2012, 3:15:18 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The "unified cross platform licensing" idea sounds sweet.

It would be marvelous to not have to buy three instances of the renderengine
when all you�d want is to buy the plug-in exporters for Maya, Softimage and
3DSMax and one renderlicense (even coming with 5-10 batch licenses maybe)

From an artsy sight of things, this also looks like less work in the longrun,
having the actual renderer separate from the 3Dapp-specific exporter plug-ins.

finalrender and at least one other competitor seem to go that route, either
allowing to buy exporter plug-ins without more renderer licenses or even
providing various 3dapp exporter plug-ins but charging only for the renderer licenses,
which then can be used freely between supported apps.

I can imagine this would help Vray break into new markets, especially now that
there�s various Autodesk Bundle options that help to "just have a look into Softimage"
or "run Maya alongside 3DSMax" and so on.

If all you�d need is to purchase a new exporter plug-in to support your existing VRay
license (from, let�s say 3DsMax) in Softimage as well, there�d be less hesistation to
go and invest into that as testing things out (and running the farm) would feel harmless.

Cheers

tim

On 21.02.2012 13:26, pet...@skynet.be wrote:
> Oh, and another question I should add: is there a �unified cross platform licensing� policy for Vray?

> I�ve had my producer asking me spontaneously if I wanted VRay on Softimage � I must say I never had that happen before a producer asking to add tools Winking smile.
> Studio has Vray for max already and the whole �standardise on Vray� idea sounds appealing � buying duplicate licenses for softimage/max/maya less so.

> Platform independent licenses, that would unlock Vray for whatever supported soft that requests it, would be great, and go a long way in replacing mental ray.
> Finally, Autodesk offering the choice of renderer that comes with the software would be great too.

> It�s a shame to think of all the licensing money flowing from autodesk to mental images that doesn�t translate into product innovation.

> Offering the choice of preferred rendering engine, directing the flow of money to the software clients believe in, could stirr things up for mental images, and perhaps kick them
> out of catatonia. Or not.

Vladimir Koylazov

Feb 21, 2012, 3:52:20 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
From our point of view, 80% of the coding and support effort goes into
the translator plugins. Those years of development for V-Ray for
Softimage were spent on the translator alone, getting to terms with the
quirks of Softimage, implementing UIs, keeping pace with the changing
APIs, looking for work-arounds for bugs and so forth - in short
everything that is necessary to expose the V-Ray features to users who
don't have programming knowledge - and there is still much more to be
done. It also takes quite a bit of time and effort to train developers
for this task, as there is practically zero chance to find people who
already know the Softimage/Maya/3ds Max APIs (or the V-Ray SDK for that
matter) to the extent that we need. On the other hand, the effort spent
on the V-Ray core itself can be amortized across the various V-Ray
implementations - optimizing the core engine affects all the V-Ray
products. It is also relatively easy to work on the core as we have all
the code, whereas the translator plugins depend on things which are out
of our control. For this reason V-Ray render licenses are a lot cheaper
than a workstation license. And you can still share batch/standalone
rendering licenses between V-Ray for Maya and V-Ray for Softimage.

Best regards,
Vlado

Jason Brynford-Jones

Feb 21, 2012, 4:10:07 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I would like to congratulate you and your whole team. This is one of those rare occasions where something very exciting comes along.

Really well done

Jason "Chinny" Brynford-Jones
Technical Product Manager
winmail.dat

pet...@skynet.be

Feb 21, 2012, 5:49:44 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yes, I'm thinking along these lines: 'cross software floating' 3D licenses
and 'cross platform floating' renderlicenses.
or should I say I get more and more feedback from studio owners and
producers that this is where they want to go:

a number of 'autodesk 3D seats' - kept under maintenance, with each seat
launching either of the 3 apps - softimage/maya/max
and then the same for an accompanying renderer - which could potentially be
Vray now.
this way they could decide on a number of artists, dictating the number of
workstations / interactive autodesk seats to maintain,
and the amount of rendernodes will dictate the amount of render licenses
needed, leaving the studio free to swapping resources as needed.
Right now it's a nightmare, caused by the will to use only licensed software
and the need to adapt software choice to the needs of the project at hand.
The producers tell me they hear the exact same difficulties from several
animation studios all over europe.

A software vendor understanding and accomodating this will not go
unnoticed...

Kamen Lilov

Feb 21, 2012, 6:54:02 PM2/21/12
On 2/21/2012 11:10 PM, Jason Brynford-Jones wrote:
> I would like to congratulate you and your whole team. This is one of those rare occasions where something very exciting comes along.

Thank you, Chinny. Last time we met, V-Ray | SI was just around the
corner. Now it's out in the field, and the community will have the
chance to "cast their vote," figuratively speaking.

I'm flattered that you guys (meaning "The Softimage team at AD") think
V-Ray | SI could become an important part of the Softimage ecosystem.

Eric Thivierge

Feb 21, 2012, 7:01:54 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Having a choice is always good for the ecosystem. :)

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Steven Caron

Feb 21, 2012, 7:11:09 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
no doubt! i personally prefer arnold over vray BUT i would take vray over mental ray. i was still at blur studio when they made yet another switch to vray for most of their rendering. i got to use it on 4 projects and i enjoyed using despite having to be inside 3dsmax.

Javier Vega

Feb 21, 2012, 8:25:45 PM2/21/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you for V-Ray for Softimage. I like that release
Javier Vega

www.zao3d.com

Visita mi blog: http://blog.zao3d.com

móvil: 616 64 73 57
08922-Santa Coloma de Gramenet
(Barcelona)

Simon Reeves

Feb 22, 2012, 5:37:20 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Steve that's the situation I'm in right now... Using max but at least it's a nice break from a couple of years of commercials with MR :)

Eugen Sares

Feb 22, 2012, 5:54:14 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Filtering the 3rd party renderers for
- feature complete (more or less)
- fully integrated (more or less)
- animation-proof (rules out most unbiased renderers)
gives:
Arnold - still beta though, expensive for small studios.
3delight - how does it perform with GI these days?

Plenty of room for another render option besides mental ray.
On the 3ds max side, afaik, VRay became the de-facto standard 3rd-party
renderer.

Thomas Volkmann

Feb 22, 2012, 5:54:48 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Same here... VRay instead of MR feels great, but working in Max is no fun nevertheless :/

Simon Reeves <si...@simonreeves.com> hat am 22. Februar 2012 um 11:37 geschrieben:

Steffen Dünner

Feb 22, 2012, 5:59:03 AM2/22/12
2012/2/22 Eugen Sares <soft...@keyvis.at>

Arnold - still beta though, expensive for small studios.

Just to set this straight: Arnold itself is not beta. It's production ready and proven for years.
SItoA, the Softimage to Arnold integration is in beta, but already feels very very "final".

Cheers
Steffen
--
PGP-ID(RSA): 0xCCE2E989 / 0xE045734C CCE2E989
Fingerprint: 394B 3DA9 9A9A 96C6  3A5A 0595 EF92 EE1F

Eugen Sares

Feb 22, 2012, 6:13:56 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ok, right. I know. Yet pricing policy is what puts it out of reach for
many smaller studios not feeding a render farm day-to-day.
Are they going to release SIToA anytime soon then?

Am 22.02.2012, 11:59 Uhr, schrieb Steffen Dï¿œnner

Sandy Sutherland

Feb 22, 2012, 6:40:39 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We use SITOA and Arnold here - and it is WAYYYY worth the cost!

S.

Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

Ok, right. I know. Yet pricing policy is what puts it out of reach for

many smaller studios not feeding a render farm day-to-day.
Are they going to release SIToA anytime soon then?

Am 22.02.2012, 11:59 Uhr, schrieb Steffen D�nner

Eugen Sares

Feb 22, 2012, 6:45:47 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
By the way: what's the rendernodes pricing policy for Arnold?
Sorry for getting a bit off-topic...

Am 22.02.2012, 12:40 Uhr, schrieb Sandy Sutherland
<Sandy.Su...@triggerfish.co.za>:

> We use SITOA and Arnold here - and it is WAYYYY worth the cost!
>
> S.
>
> Sandy Sutherland
> Technical Supervisor
> sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
> _____________________________

Sandy Sutherland

Feb 22, 2012, 6:56:51 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry - since we are under NDA - you are best contacting solidangle directly - in...@solidangle.com!

S.

_____________________________

Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

<Sandy.Su...@triggerfish.co.za>:

> We use SITOA and Arnold here - and it is WAYYYY worth the cost!
>
> S.
>
> Sandy Sutherland
> Technical Supervisor
> sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
> _____________________________

Tim Leydecker

Feb 22, 2012, 7:55:58 AM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Did I say "Thank you" already?

Probably not. So here it is:

Thank you for bringing V-Ray to Softimage.

I´ve spent most of the last 6 months working with
V-Ray in production and am glad I had that opportunity.

Even thought I haven´t used V-Ray RT myself, I liked how
well it accelerated fellow artist´s workflows for lighting
and shading or even cleanups and scene/reference assemblies.

I hope all your efforts will amortize quickly enough, not just
because it´s worth it but also because you guys may then find
yourself in the lucky position to be able to finally bundle
the translator plug-ins anyway, as maintaining will hopefully
be less expensive than developing everything from scratch...

I´d like to think of that as just a matter of time, even if
you´ve clearly stated otherwise :-)

Cheers,

tim

piotrek marczak

Feb 22, 2012, 1:08:45 PM2/22/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hey guys,
excellent work on translator, it's gazillion times faster than older beta
builds Ive tried.

I've noticed that demo's resolution limit doesn't apply to render region, is
that intentional?

Feb 22, 2012, 1:33:24 PM2/22/12
On 2/22/2012 8:08 PM, piotrek marczak wrote:
> hey guys,
> excellent work on translator, it's gazillion times faster than older beta
> builds Ive tried.
>
> I've noticed that demo's resolution limit doesn't apply to render
> region, is
> that intentional?

Yes, the resolution is not limited for the RR. However, there are other
limitations in place that would make the scenario "render a complete
picture to the region, then screen-grab it and save to file" impractical
for most real-life uses. ;)

Morten Bartholdy

Feb 23, 2012, 7:26:33 AM2/23/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Same here - very happy with it.

Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
VFX Supervisor/3D Lead
www.gimmickvfx.com

Den 22. februar 2012 kl. 12:40 skrev Sandy Sutherland <Sandy.Su...@triggerfish.co.za>:

> We use SITOA and Arnold here - and it is WAYYYY worth the cost!
>
> S.
>
> Sandy Sutherland
> Technical Supervisor
> sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
> _____________________________

J. Jones

Feb 24, 2012, 4:37:50 PM2/24/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can anyone say if V-Ray handles ICE particle motion blur any better than MR?  Specifically, can it motion blur non-simulated, or simulated and deformed, particles without jumping through the cache hoop?

-Jim

J. Jones

Feb 24, 2012, 9:59:26 PM2/24/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
What an interesting question... :)
Now that I had some time which I didn't think I'd have to try the demo and find out for myself, the answer is: yes. No caching necessary. I tested both a non-simulated, deformation-based particle effect and also a simulated one with a post-sim lattice deformation and it did the motion blur just fine. Very cool. Now, can it do sprites.....

-Jim

Len Krenzler

Feb 27, 2012, 11:25:06 AM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can it do that with the volume particle shader?

Len Krenzler - Creative Control Media Productions

Phone: 780.463.3126

www.creativecontrol.ca - l...@creativecontrol.ca

J. Jones

Feb 29, 2012, 12:42:32 AM2/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I just did a quick test, and yes, it definitely motion blurs the volumes correctly, although it apparently does not get along too well with the shader otherwise. Could be user error, but I couldn't get it to pick up on the color settings, density, etc. There doesn't seem to be a V-Ray specific analog, but maybe I didn't look hard enough...