Arion email

Gene Crucean

Dec 23, 2011, 8:59:56 PM12/23/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just got an email for Arion.

I mainly wanted to post here because of the 3rd line below. Yesssssss. First up to bat this time boys. I don't know much about this renderer yet, but it's nice to be the first app chosen for once.

A completely new line of plugins is coming: The RandomControl LIVE plugins.
RandomControl LIVE is a line of products that fully integrate our technology in the modeling package.
The first modeling package that we are proud to support is Autodesk Softimage. Our plugin supports Render Region, native rendering of animations, native Softimage frame buffer as well as a cool RandomControl LIVE viewport with realtime feedback.
We also have fully integrated our material system into Softimage interface, with nodal support for BSDF layers, bitmaps etc. Everything is Softimage-like and straightforward to use!
Pricing and licensing policies will be presented when the LIVE plugins are released. Owners of an Arion or fryrender license, will be offered the LIVE plugin of their choice for free.
Click on the image to see it full size.

http://www.randomcontrol.com/downloads/newsletters/arion-160/images/xsi.jpg

--
Gene Crucean - VFX & CG Supervisor / Generalist / iOS-OSX Developer
I am Arnold, ICE, Lagoa, emFluid, Houdini, Fume and Nuke focused.

~~ Please use my website's contact form on www.genecrucean.com for any personal emails. Thanks. I may not get them at this address. ~~

Christian Gotzinger

Dec 24, 2011, 4:55:17 AM12/24/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That sounds awesome! Do we know how soon it will be available? And what's the price?

peter boeykens

Dec 24, 2011, 6:30:54 AM12/24/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You beat me to it Gene - just got that mail too -

it's funny how they hid it all the way to the end of the mail - I was reading and kind of interested, thinking "how well will this work with softimage, they barely mention it?" and then this comes up out of the blue...
If anyone (Steve Caron perhaps?) has experience with Arion, how it relates to Fryrender and how it runs with/in Softimage - I'm all ears...

Paul Griswold

Dec 24, 2011, 8:12:14 AM12/24/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Arion/Fryrender used to have a terrible Softimage implementation, so this is a pretty big surprise.  Fry is an unbiased renderer and is slightly faster than Maxwell from what I've seen.  Does Arion accelerate Fry or is it more like Maxwell Fire, where it's just a way to visualize your render before you submit it?

This is really good to see.

Paul

Paul Griswold

Dec 24, 2011, 4:36:32 PM12/24/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I've been having a conversation with them by email today.  From what I understand, Arion is a GPU renderer so your whole scene must fit into ram.  They do not support hair, and I don't think particles either.  The plug-in for Softimage will be a separate product you purchase in addition to Arion, but they will make it free to anyone who buys the current version.  They talked about network render support, but they weren't clear if that's included in the multiGPU license or if you have to purchase extra licenses.

HTH

Paul