2012.5, when?

Paul Griswold

Sep 25, 2011, 5:58:05 AM9/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Any news?

After dealing with exploding meshes yesterday, I welcome new ICE modeling tools.

Paul

Stephen Blair

Sep 25, 2011, 8:40:03 AM9/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No news, late September still the timeframe for 2012 APs.
winmail.dat

Daniel H

Sep 25, 2011, 9:41:32 AM9/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Last year's SAP was released on October 7th, which was on a Thursday. The recent SI 2012 was released on April 7th, which was also on a Thursday. And since we have only one Thursday left in September... the 29th is going to be my triangulated guess.

-Daniel

Jens Lindgren

Sep 25, 2011, 5:27:56 PM9/25/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think they said 27th september about Maya at Siggraph so maybe it's the same for Softimage.

/Jens

--
Jens Lindgren
--------------------------

Daniel H

Sep 27, 2011, 12:59:25 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks like AD held to the 27th. SI 2012 SAP now available in subscription center. :)

-Daniel

Darrin Hofmeyr

Sep 27, 2011, 3:18:04 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
so where was the tweet?
oh wait
"The Subscription Advantage Pack for Autodesk Maya 2012 is expected to be available shortly. Please check back on September 28th to download your Subscription Advantage Pack."
--
Darrin Hofmeyr
Animation Supervisor

Darrin Hofmeyr

Sep 27, 2011, 3:25:30 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
apologies - too quick to copy paste.
Late nights, early mornings... need a holiday
as you were.

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 3:29:01 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I have the 3ds max entertainment creation suite premium and I can't see Softimage in the list yet.
Have downloaded the 3ds max update tho.

Anyone else got the suite premium and got access to Softimage?

/Jens

Szabolcs Matefy

Sep 27, 2011, 4:10:08 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Am I alone who haven’t found the latest help for the SAP?

Also I found that some of the new features are…lacky?

Apply thickness failed on a hemisphere, not to mention that it drops the UV.

The Apply Slice Between Two Vertices doesn’t work at all.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I hoped for some preserve UV feature…

These are my first impressions, anybody to confirm, or help me to resolve?

Cheers

Szabolcs

Darren Macpherson

Sep 27, 2011, 5:19:50 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi List,

I have bunch of procedural fractals in a shader network that I want to rendering out an image sequence.  Render Map as far as I know only allows you to do single frames.  I think you can do it with pixel particles but I was wondering if there was another way of doing it?

Thanks in advanced

Darren

--
darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Paul Griswold

Sep 27, 2011, 5:24:49 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's on the front page of your subscription center under Product Enhancements.

-Paul

Paul Griswold

Sep 27, 2011, 5:25:19 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry, it's 5:25am here, I read "Am I alone who haven't found the latest SAP?"

-Paul

Steffen Dünner

Sep 27, 2011, 5:28:47 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm getting an error msg "111" when trying to log in to the subscription center. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers
Steffen

2011/9/27 Paul Griswold <pgri...@fusiondigitalproductions.com>

--
PGP-ID(RSA): 0xCCE2E989 / 0xE045734C CCE2E989
Fingerprint: 394B 3DA9 9A9A 96C6  3A5A 0595 EF92 EE1F

Chris Marshall

Sep 27, 2011, 5:38:47 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Apply material to a grid, line a camera up square onto the grid, render?
--

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Leonard Koch

Sep 27, 2011, 5:55:01 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, I wrote a simple script for that which you can find on rray.com
I'm on the road right now, so I can't get it, but it is called Rendermap Sequencer Script. You should be able to find it.

Cheers

Leonard Koch

Sep 27, 2011, 6:06:55 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
My apologies, it was rray.de Here: http://rray.de/xsi/

Nic Groot Bluemink

Sep 27, 2011, 6:36:47 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I got forwarded into some 404's when logging in, but managed to circumvent it eventually.

-Nic
--
Technical pretty picture making person
Kettle

Darren Macpherson

Sep 27, 2011, 8:02:17 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Wierd,  I looked on rray, I clearly must have missed it completely!  Thanks Leonard, I'll check it out and thanks for taking the time to reply while on the road.

Darren Macpherson

Sep 27, 2011, 8:08:04 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Chris, that was my other option, thought I'd check if there was another way.  Going to check out Leonards script before I do the grid trick.

Chris Marshall

Sep 27, 2011, 9:33:48 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
no worries. thought maybe I was misunderstanding you.

Nicholas Breslow

Sep 27, 2011, 10:03:28 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I am in the same boat as Jens – I have the Maya Premium Suite and the Softimage 2012 SAP is the only update missing (the Maya one is listed but not available yet and the Mudbox one is available).

While I do appreciate the benefits of being a subscriber, the service part of the deal leaves a lot to be desired.  The same thing happened last time – I had to e-mail support to get the Softimage 2011 SAP and then e-mail them again to get the associated service pack a few months later.  Every time a new hotfix/service pack/etc. comes out it never gets listed on my subscription product enhancements section even though the first bullet point on the Autodesk Subscription Sales page reads: “Software Upgrades - Stay current with the latest software releases and new product enhancements.”

After a whole back and forth with support about these missing updates I got this reply from support: “Thank you for contacting Autodesk. Your frustration is understandable, and while having all the service packs, hot fixes, extensions, and advantage packs would be convenient, I am sure you can see when you login to sub center that there is limited room and an abundance of service packs, hot fixes, extensions,  advantage packs and other content that could go in. Basically, the subscription team has to pick and choose what is going to go on the product enhancement page. The things you are referring to were left off the page. No one else has these posted to their subscription account either. I am putting in a formal customer feedback on this case that you would like those added to your subscription center account. If you would like, I would also be happy to turn this case over to our subscription team to discuss further what they can/can't do and why.”

I don’t mean to hijack this e-mail thread or waste everyone’s time with a rant but I just wanted to get an idea to see if I am the only one having issues getting updates?  Also, if you feel that one of the services promised to us as subscribers (a localized download page for our product updates) is not being provided then I urge you to write a quick e-mail requesting this be fixed – it will save time in the long run with updates and deployment.

Thanks,

Nicholas Breslow

http://www.nicholasbreslow.com

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 10:22:07 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah I also have Mudbox on my list but not Softimage.
I have sent a message to support but I'm not hoping for much help there.

Nicholas, the story you tell is scaring and would be evidence enough to put Autodesk in Guinness Book of World Records as "#1 worst customer service in the world"!

/Jens

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 27, 2011, 10:39:38 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Nicholas Breslow
<ni...@nicholasbreslow.com> wrote:
> While I do appreciate the benefits of being a subscriber, the service part
> of the deal leaves a lot to be desired.� The same thing happened last time �

> I had to e-mail support to get the Softimage 2011 SAP and then e-mail them
> again to get the associated service pack a few months later.� Every time a

> new hotfix/service pack/etc. comes out it never gets listed on my
> subscription product enhancements section even though the first bullet point
> on the Autodesk Subscription Sales page reads: �Software Upgrades - Stay
> current with the latest software releases and new product enhancements.�

> After a whole back and forth with support about these missing updates I got
> this reply from support: �[...].
>I don�t mean to hijack this e-mail thread or waste everyone�s time with a rant but I just wanted to get an idea to see if I am the only one having issues getting updates?

It's like that for hundreds of thousands of Autodesk customers. The
Subscription Center team's policy is to only have content that is
exclusive to subscription there, and the public fixes on the Autodesk
web public pages. It`s exactly as people wrote to you. Why the heck
would support make something up like that?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=softimage+downloads

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 10:48:31 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah but this particular update, the SAP, is for subscription customers only.
Do you know why it doesn't show up for the Entertainment Creation Suite Premium customers?

/Jens

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Luc-Eric Rousseau <luce...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Nicholas Breslow
<ni...@nicholasbreslow.com> wrote:
> While I do appreciate the benefits of being a subscriber, the service part
> of the deal leaves a lot to be desired.  The same thing happened last time –

> I had to e-mail support to get the Softimage 2011 SAP and then e-mail them
> again to get the associated service pack a few months later.  Every time a

> new hotfix/service pack/etc. comes out it never gets listed on my
> subscription product enhancements section even though the first bullet point
> on the Autodesk Subscription Sales page reads: “Software Upgrades - Stay
> current with the latest software releases and new product enhancements.”

> After a whole back and forth with support about these missing updates I got
> this reply from support: “[...].
>I don’t mean to hijack this e-mail thread or waste everyone’s time with a rant but I just wanted to get an idea to see if I am the only one having issues getting updates?

It's like that for hundreds of thousands of Autodesk customers.  The
Subscription Center team's policy is to only have content that is
exclusive to subscription there, and the public fixes on the Autodesk
web public pages.   It`s exactly as people wrote to you. Why the heck
would support make something up like that?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=softimage+downloads

Nicholas Breslow

Sep 27, 2011, 10:53:51 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Luc-Eric Rousseau:

OK Genius, then tell me where on that page can I find Autodesk Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack Service Pack 1? Or Autodesk Softimage Subscription Advantage Pack Hotfix 2? Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack Hotfix 1? Or any of the SAP specific fixes for any of the suites? Etc. That's the whole point (which you missed) - there are updates for the SAP that aren't listed on the main product page.

Here let me Google something for you:
http://tinyurl.com/6hnbjde

Nicholas Breslow
http://www.nicholasbreslow.com

> While I do appreciate the benefits of being a subscriber, the service

> part of the deal leaves a lot to be desired.� The same thing happened
> last time - I had to e-mail support to get the Softimage 2011 SAP and

> then e-mail them again to get the associated service pack a few months

> later.� Every time a new hotfix/service pack/etc. comes out it never

> gets listed on my subscription product enhancements section even
> though the first bullet point on the Autodesk Subscription Sales page

> reads: "Software Upgrades - Stay current with the latest software releases and new product enhancements."

> After a whole back and forth with support about these missing updates

>I got this reply from support: "[...].
>I don't mean to hijack this e-mail thread or waste everyone's time with a rant but I just wanted to get an idea to see if I am the only one having issues getting updates?

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 27, 2011, 10:55:46 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Now that, we'll need to investigate and fix

> Magoo 3D Studios <http://www.magoo3dstudios.com/>

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 27, 2011, 11:08:12 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Nicholas Breslow
<ni...@nicholasbreslow.com> wrote:
> Luc-Eric Rousseau:
>
> OK Genius, then tell me where on that page can I find Autodesk Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack Service Pack 1? �Or Autodesk Softimage Subscription Advantage Pack Hotfix 2? Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack Hotfix 1? �Or any of the SAP specific fixes for any of the suites? Etc. �That's the whole point (which you missed) - there are updates for the SAP that aren't listed on the main product page.

That makes no sense. Why would the Subscription Advantage Pack be on
the public download page? I think the bit you're missing is that
there is no license specific to the SAP. The subscription stuff is
only protected by a password to access the download. If you can
download it, you can run it, whether you paid for subscription or not.

Originally you were asking why all the possible updates and service
packs, even those not specific to SAP were not in the subscription
page as well. That makes complete sense. But the subscription center
folks do not want those there, for some reason; believe me, we asked.

Thomas Helzle

Sep 27, 2011, 11:13:57 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Isn't it great we now know that they have "reasons" for what they
throw at people? LOL

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Nicholas Breslow

Sep 27, 2011, 11:32:42 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Why would the Subscription Advantage Pack be on the public download page?" EXACTLY!!! So why send me a link to that page, man?!

You didn't read my first message carefully enough - I said: "I had to e-mail support to get the Softimage 2011 SAP and then e-mail them again to get the ***associated*** service pack a few months later." Pretty obvious - I am not asking for ALL updates, just the ones specific to a SAP. These are only available via the subscription center and they don't show up automatically in my downloads list. If they aren't on the main product page, and not on the subscription page, then where am I/everyone supposed to get them?! We should e-mail support every time one comes out? Sounds like more work for all involved.

As for your comment " The subscription stuff is only protected by a password to access the download. If you can download it, you can run it, whether you paid for subscription or not." I am not up on all that and don't have time to go trolling for torrents or whatever you're implying. Thanks for chatting this up, gotta move on to other stuff.

Nicholas Breslow
http://www.nicholasbreslow.com

Sep 27, 2011, 11:46:51 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Right, my appologies then.

The large quoted response from support in the middle of your post was
all about that subscription center policy of not putting public fixes
in the sub center.

We'll be looking into whether we forget to upload the SAP builds and
service packs to the Maya/3DSMax Premium Suite subscription center,
it's quite possible!

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Nicholas Breslow

Nicholas Breslow

Sep 27, 2011, 11:57:07 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks!

PS - Sorry to waste everyone's time with this back and forth. I hope this gets resolved, not just for me, but for everyone going forward.

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 11:57:21 AM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Luc-Eric!!!

That was fast! I can now see the Softimage 2012 SAP in my list :)
Please make sure that this doesn't repeat next year again ;)

/Jens

Guillaume Laforge

Sep 27, 2011, 12:09:04 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Apply thickness failed on a hemisphere, not to mention that it drops the UV.

Are you sure you are using the factory compound ? Maybe you've got an other one with the same name in your user folder/workgroup ?

Run this python script in a new scene to test. Applying the thickness on this textured half sphere just work fine (and keeps the UVs).

Application.CreatePrim("Sphere", "MeshSurface", "", "")
Application.SetValue("sphere.polymsh.geom.subdivu", 24, "")
Application.SetValue("sphere.polymsh.geom.subdivv", 24, "")
Application.SwitchToolbar(3)
Application.BlendInTextureLayersInsp("", "", "", True, "siReplaceAndNoBlendInTextureLayers", "", "", "", "")
Application.CreateProjection("sphere", "siTxtSpherical", "siTxtDefaultSpherical", "Texture_Support", "Texture_Projection", "", "", "")
Application.SetInstanceDataValue("", "Sources.Materials.DefaultLib.Material.Image.tspace_id", "Texture_Projection")
Application.SetDisplayMode("Camera", "textured")
Application.ActivateRaycastPolySelTool("")
Application.ActivateRaycastPolySelTool("")
Application.ActivatePolygonSelTool("")
Application.ActivatePolygonSelTool("")
Application.SelectGeometryComponents("sphere.poly[12-23,36-47,60-71,84-95,108-119,132-143,156-167,180-191,204-215,228-239,252-263,276-287,300-311,324-335,348-359,372-383,396-407,420-431,444-455,468-479,492-503,516-527,540-551,564-LAST]")
Application.ApplyTopoOp("DeleteComponent", "sphere.poly[12-23,36-47,60-71,84-95,108-119,132-143,156-167,180-191,204-215,228-239,252-263,276-287,300-311,324-335,348-359,372-383,396-407,420-431,444-455,468-479,492-503,516-527,540-551,564-LAST]", "siUnspecified", "siPersistentOperation", "")
Application.ActivateObjectSelTool("")
Application.ActivateObjectSelTool("")
Application.SwitchToolbar(1)
Application.ApplyThickness("sphere")

>The Apply Slice Between Two Vertices doesn’t work at all.

I seen it working, so it is not true ;).

G.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Szabolcs Matefy <szab...@crytek.com> wrote:iiiiii

Max

Sep 27, 2011, 1:05:26 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think you have installed the old "ICE Modeling Tools" Guillame shared time ago, you might find them in the User->Addons->ICEModelingTools
This if you copy/pasted the addon folder from softimage 2012SP1 to your SAP folder to maybe maintain the addons you use.

Or you have another Apply Thickness compound with the same name somewhere else!
Same gose for Apply Slice Between Two Vertices.

I had problems because i've copied the folders from SP1 to SAP and had to remove the old ones.

I'm testing all new things and so far i didnt have any problem, its pretty stable.
thanks

Max

Apply thickness failed on a hemisphere, not to mention that it drops the UV.

Paul Griswold

Sep 27, 2011, 1:44:56 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nope, don't have ICE Modeling Tools installed.  However, I did another test - this time with a sphere - and was able to sort-of get it working.  Unfortunately it doesn't work as I'd expect.  I pick point A, then point B and apply the split.  I expect it to then split from A to B, but instead it goes from B to A, which wraps backwards around the object.

I tried with a cube and get similar results.  The cut actually goes backwards, and in one case didn't cut through any of the polygons between the 2 points I'd selected, but instead cut the back of the cube.  Just as a test I also clicked on "Display New Edges" and Softimage locked up entirely.

Paul

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 27, 2011, 5:36:41 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Jens Lindgren
<jens.lin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That was fast! I can now see the Softimage 2012 SAP in my list :)
> Please make sure that this doesn't repeat next year again ;)

right, the problem for the Maya and Max Suite subscription customers
was sorted out 5 hours ago. Tell us if it isn't the case.

The online doc will be updated in a couple of hours.

It's actually an update to the 2012 doc, at the same URL. It will have
tags that say something like "This Feature Specific to Advantage
Pack". Everyone that runs 2012 will see it as well.

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 5:42:41 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Will the downloadable offline help-packages be updated also?
And if thay are, please state so clearly so I dont uninstall, download, install new helpfiles to just see that the Updated note on the first page is the same as before, as they was with 2012 SP1.

/Jens

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Sep 27, 2011, 6:52:34 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

The downloadable help package will also be updated, but not immediately. Wait for our signal

> Magoo 3D Studios <http://www.magoo3dstudios.com/>

Jens Lindgren

Sep 27, 2011, 6:56:09 PM9/27/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ok cool :)

/Jens

Szabolcs Matefy

Sep 28, 2011, 2:36:55 AM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Yep, you’re right, I had the old IceModeling stuff. Apply thickness works (and I apologize deeply_)! Slice between two vertices is kinda pointless, and clumsy, I really don’t get the idea.

Cheers

Szabolcs

Grahame Fuller

Sep 28, 2011, 10:55:00 AM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
People had been asking for something like Add Edge but with the ability to span multiple polygons. That's all, really.

gray

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Jens Lindgren <jens.lin...@gmail.com<mailto:jens.lin...@gmail.com>> wrote:
I think they said 27th september about Maya at Siggraph so maybe it's the same for Softimage.

/Jens

--

Darrin Hofmeyr

Animation Supervisor

BlackGinger

+27 21 4881188<tel:%2B27%2021%204881188>

--
Jens Lindgren
--------------------------

Magoo 3D Studios<http://www.magoo3dstudios.com/>

winmail.dat

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Oct 3, 2011, 5:45:45 PM10/3/11
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Luc-Eric Rousseau <luce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The downloadable help package will also be updated, but not immediately.
> Wait for our signal

beep.

http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-documentation

Eric Turman

Oct 3, 2011, 6:12:26 PM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hahahahaha! thanks for the signal =)
--

-=T=-

Jens Lindgren

Oct 3, 2011, 6:20:56 PM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hehe thanks!
Will download tomorrow.

/Jens

GBOT

Oct 4, 2011, 2:17:00 PM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry for offtop guys, but from which version softimage started to support python as built-in language ? since 2010 or later ?

Stephen Blair

Oct 4, 2011, 5:05:40 PM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
2011