set view > menu window....?

Matt Lind

Jul 22, 2011, 9:19:36 PM7/22/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I’m modifying a custom relational view in the editor.  When I right-click a pane and choose “set view”, I see an option labeled “menu window”.  If I choose it, my pane turns solid red.  I’m guessing the color is taken from my windows color theme, so most of you attempting the same at home will probably get solid blue or white.

Anyway, what exactly is a “menu window” control?  It’s not mentioned anywhere in the manuals.

Is it a tear-away menu?

Matt

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Jul 22, 2011, 9:23:05 PM7/22/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

It's a tear off menu window. You can set a menu in it - I cannot recall what's the name of the property now.   it'll draw red until you do. It's probably used in the ModTool

Matt Lind

Jul 22, 2011, 9:30:01 PM7/22/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Is this that trick Chinny alluded to last year in the videos previewing 2011 advantage pack?

I guess the question is how to set the value or ‘targetcontent’ for a menu window control.  Right-clicking on the pane in the relational view editor doesn’t provide any options – just a blank dialog, and I don’t see anything mentioned under View.SetAttributeValue() in the SDK manuals either.

Matt

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Jul 22, 2011, 9:36:29 PM7/22/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I ll have to look next week when im in montreal, but it's a string like
ModelGetPrimitive, i.e.  a concatenation of all the menu names, starting with the module or panel name.

On 2011-07-23 9:30 AM, "Matt Lind" <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:
> Is this that trick Chinny alluded to last year in the videos previewing 2011 advantage pack?
>
> I guess the question is how to set the value or 'targetcontent' for a menu window control. Right-clicking on the pane in the relational view editor doesn't provide any options - just a blank dialog, and I don't see anything mentioned under View.SetAttributeValue() in the SDK manuals either.

> Matt

Matt Lind

Jul 22, 2011, 9:39:37 PM7/22/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Any chance that would support custom tear off menus? (eg: self installing menu plugins).

Stephen Blair

Jul 23, 2011, 9:02:02 AM7/23/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It appears that a Menu Window view is a tear-off menu.
http://wp.me/powV4-158

On 2011-07-23 9:30 AM, "Matt Lind" <ml...@carbinestudios.com<mailto:ml...@carbinestudios.com>> wrote:
> Is this that trick Chinny alluded to last year in the videos previewing 2011 advantage pack?
>
> I guess the question is how to set the value or 'targetcontent' for a menu window control. Right-clicking on the pane in the relational view editor doesn't provide any options - just a blank dialog, and I don't see anything mentioned under View.SetAttributeValue() in the SDK manuals either.
>

> Matt

winmail.dat

Matt Lind

Jul 23, 2011, 10:50:16 PM7/23/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
thanks Steve,

Unfortunately it appears this is not consistent and cannot be relied upon
:-(

example:

this works:

var oView = Desktop.ActiveLayout.CreateView( "Menu Window", "title is
not used" );
oView.Move( 200, 160 );
oView.SetAttributeValue( "targetcontent", "RenderGetProperty&Texture
Projection" );

Same menu, but this fails:

var oView = Desktop.ActiveLayout.CreateView( "Menu Window", "title is
not used" );
oView.Move( 200, 160 );
oView.SetAttributeValue( "targetcontent", "RenderGetProperty&Map Paint
Tools" );

Also could not find a way to make a menu window for any of the menus at the
top of the interface (file, edit, view, window, help, ...) or custom menus.

If I could get custom tear away menus to work, I would definitely put them
into a relational view, toolbar, shelf, or any other custom contraption I
have to build. In fact, I've been waiting for this to come around as it's
much preferred over the current black box options of the old DStoolbar
system. The older system is not easily scriptable, cannot accept nested
scripts/menus, and is a pain in the ass to work with. Self installing menus
which can be programmatically driven in a menu window is a win/win as we can
update it with minimal maintenance via the script/plugin defining the menu.

Matt

Hide options Jul 23, 6:02 am
From: Stephen Blair <Stephen.Bl...@autodesk.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:02:02 +0000