Viewcube tip

Jason Brynford-Jones

Oct 8, 2010, 8:58:43 AM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I use the viewcube - especially when I have a cup of coffee in one hand and can't use the keyboard.
But, one cool thing is that in an Ortho view it can orbit. Very handy sometimes (I forgot to mention it in the video)

That's all for now

Chin

winmail.dat

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Oct 8, 2010, 9:39:56 AM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Chinny, you know you can use the DVD tray as a cup holder right? ;)

Oct 8, 2010, 9:45:05 AM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't understand Chinny, I thought you if anyone, could run Soft
with 1 arm tied behind your back... or holding a coffee cup for that
matter. Without the view cube!

: )

Eric Thivierge
Technical Director
http://www.ethivierge.com

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau
<marc-andre...@ubisoft.com> wrote:
> Chinny, you know you can use the DVD tray as a cup holder right? ;)

Arvid Björn

Oct 8, 2010, 9:41:54 AM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Finally, the double-handedly-challenged 3D-artists can have a play with Softimage!
--
lead 3d artist | stockholm.postproduction | www.stopp.se

Christopher Tedin

Oct 8, 2010, 12:02:12 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
...in an Ortho view it can orbit.

Actually, I found that very handy myself.

tak...@earthlink.net

Oct 8, 2010, 2:21:57 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Yeah I was initially wanting to hate on the viewcube but after using it a bit it's much better than using the "xyz" thingies at the top of the screen. It also lets me just have one perspective view maximized and switch to orthos by sort of swiping.

I remember in soft3d there was like an angle turntable dial for the ortho views. This is similar but much more usable.

Kind of nice to be wrong sometimes. :)

-T

Daniel H

Oct 8, 2010, 3:17:09 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Starting my own ViewCube club complete with customized Dunny line.

Greg Punchatz

Oct 8, 2010, 3:21:20 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
EXACTLY how I felt....first saw it..."ooohhh no!!  then...."wait...I kinda like this thing....."

Greg Punchatz
Sr. Creative Director
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com

Christopher Tedin

Oct 8, 2010, 3:49:45 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We should have coffee cups made. I'll get right on that.

Christopher Tedin

Oct 8, 2010, 3:50:00 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We should have coffee cups made for the club. I'll get right on that.

Fabian Schnuer

Oct 8, 2010, 4:55:52 PM10/8/10
to tak...@earthlink.net, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
On the topic of ortho views and a maximized viewport. A while ago I
mapped Shift1-6 to user/top/etc in the same sequence as houdini
(although there it is space+#) since I use both all the time.

Since then I rarely have more than one big viewport and swap between
them happily using the hot-keys. Floating panes get push over to screen
#2 most of the time.

-F

Sam Cuttriss

Oct 8, 2010, 5:05:48 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i was looking forward to hating the view cube,
buuut its handy.
i approve

Sam J. Bowling

Oct 8, 2010, 8:54:56 PM10/8/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I noticed that right away. It seems like a useful feature, but I'm not sure
how often I'll actually use it.

--
Sam J. Bowling

Eugen Sares

Oct 9, 2010, 4:34:01 AM10/9/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Am 08.10.2010, 14:58 Uhr, schrieb Jason Brynford-Jones
<Jason.Bryn...@autodesk.com>:

> I use the viewcube - especially when I have a cup of coffee in one hand
> and can't use the keyboard.
> But, one cool thing is that in an Ortho view it can orbit. Very handy
> sometimes (I forgot to mention it in the video)

If the Viewcube can orbit an ortho view, it should be an easy thing to
implement the same for the regular Navigation Tool, yes?
Would be cool.
3ds max can do this (Maya also cannot).

Since we are talking about viewport navigation enhancements:
does "Zoom On Cursor" work with the Navigation Tool (S, or ALT) already in
2011.5 ?
For now it just does with the "Pan And Zoom Tool", which nobody uses.

Daniel Rajcic

Oct 9, 2010, 5:31:48 AM10/9/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Actually you can do this in Maya by unlocking your orthographic views in
your tumble tool options. But it doesn't behave as fluent as it does in 3ds
max for example. When using alt and your mouse keys you can only orbit in
the direction you're inital moving your mouse. But when using the viewcube
in an unlocked orthographic view it orbits quiet smoothly.

cheers,
Daniel

Schoenberger

Oct 9, 2010, 7:12:11 AM10/9/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
|> If the Viewcube can orbit an ortho view, it should be an
|> easy thing to implement the same for the regular Navigation
|> Tool, yes?

For now I am using a user camera if I want to manually rotate an ortho view.
Or I selected a grid/object which has the right orientation and used the
x/y/z button on top of the screen.

Holger Sch�nberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Piotrek Marczak

Oct 9, 2010, 7:12:59 AM10/9/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Any way to disable it in max? Its annoyin as hell

Adam Sale

Oct 9, 2010, 2:00:05 PM10/9/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
perhaps like the pixar booth with the tepaot giveaways each year, Autodesk could start giving away viewcube schwag..

Alan Fregtman

Oct 10, 2010, 5:03:58 PM10/10/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Like a a squishy Viewcube toy for the stressing times...

Adam Sale

Oct 11, 2010, 12:00:18 AM10/11/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah, and squishy to fit into your carry ons along with all the other stuff you amass at these shows.
Tradeshow swag behave a lot like tribbles. Day of departure as you're packing, for your flight, you're damned if you can figure out how so much stuff came into your being in such a concentrated amount of time.

Joey knows this all too well. I've seen him toting along impressive amounts of loot from years past...
anyways, guess i'm getting dangerously OT so....

Brent McPherson

Oct 11, 2010, 6:51:52 AM10/11/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
A little birdie told me the viewcube textures are stored in the install directory (Application/AutoCam/Textures) so if any of you creative types whip up any new skins please share... ;-)
--
Brent

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Adam Sale <adam...@gmail.com<mailto:adam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> perhaps like the pixar booth with the tepaot giveaways each year, Autodesk
> could start giving away viewcube schwag..
>

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Piotrek Marczak <orig...@gmail.com<mailto:orig...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Any way to disable it in max? Its annoyin as hell
>>
>> W dniu 2010-10-09 11:31, Daniel Rajcic pisze:
>>>
>>> Actually you can do this in Maya by unlocking your orthographic views in
>>> your tumble tool options. But it doesn't behave as fluent as it does in 3ds
>>> max for example. When using alt and your mouse keys you can only orbit in
>>> the direction you're inital moving your mouse. But when using the viewcube
>>> in an unlocked orthographic view it orbits quiet smoothly.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Daniel

________________________________

Autodesk Limited
Registered Office: 1 Meadow Gate Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 6FG
Registered in England and Wales, No. 1839239

winmail.dat

Rob Wuijster

Oct 11, 2010, 8:27:32 AM10/11/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You mean... like this??

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/
view-cube.jpg

Mirko Jankovic

Oct 11, 2010, 8:31:43 AM10/11/10
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
booorg cube! i want it I want it I want it!
:)

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 3:33:44 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Now who's the bigger nerd :)
portal

Rob Wuijster

Oct 12, 2010, 3:39:03 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ROFLMAO....

You win!!!!
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 4:09:14 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
portA port_b
Someone stop me, I'm having too much fun with this view cube :)
Glad Hitler didn't fire that b#tch who wrote it ;)

Rob Wuijster

Oct 12, 2010, 4:17:40 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Forgot to say, love the pink hearts.... LOL!!!
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

André Adam

Oct 12, 2010, 4:30:49 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Seems to need an explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_companion_cube

    -André

Rob Wuijster

Oct 12, 2010, 4:40:04 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
:-D
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 4:52:46 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah but it only needs explaining to low, and high level nerds.. only the mid-level nerds play portal :)

Rob Wuijster

Oct 12, 2010, 4:56:55 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Phew.... saved ;-)
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

Nic Groot Bluemink

Oct 12, 2010, 5:51:00 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Lovelovelove.

I want this on my screen, as soon as we switch to 2011 here, haha!
portalB.jpg
portalA.jpg

Christopher Tedin

Oct 12, 2010, 10:28:46 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's it, I'm "modding" my son's Softimage! (If he hasn't done it already...) ROTFL!

adrian wyer

Oct 12, 2010, 10:38:01 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

The view cube is a lie….

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
16-18 Beak St.
London W1F 9RD
T.++44(0) 207 434 3565
F.++44(0) 207 100 1989
E. adria...@fluid-pictures.com
www.fluid-pictures.com

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg

Darrin Hofmeyr

Oct 12, 2010, 10:46:14 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
r2d2
http://www.akeric.com/blog/?p=765
--

Darrin Hofmeyr
Animation Supervisor

Christopher Tedin

Oct 12, 2010, 10:50:24 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Okay, someone has to create a "viewcake".

More Rhubarb!

Sorry, last OT comment...

Alan Fregtman

Oct 12, 2010, 11:36:27 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Darnit, you beat me to it! :)

I was gonna make that. Did you make your own texture or get the one from the papercraft model some guy did?
portal.jpg

adrian wyer

Mirko Jankovic

Oct 12, 2010, 11:48:04 AM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hehe Max and Maya people have this cube for how long now.. and I never saw a single modification until now.

Now there is new marketing message:

Softimage: Brings creativity out of you!

or something like that hehehe

Rob Wuijster

Oct 12, 2010, 12:04:42 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
here you go... ;-)
vr.gr.,

Rob Wuijster
E ro...@casema.nl

\/-------------\/----------------\/

rubik-cube.jpg

adrian wyer

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 12:10:11 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hehehe, used some icon I got on the net, and cleaned it up a bit.
I uploaded it to the area, so it could be anywhere right now ;)
its should be under "fun extras", but being the area, it could be under jobs, or links, or tutorials, or whatever

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 12:11:48 PM10/12/10
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
nice!!, I actually thought about that, but I've never solved one of those damn things, so I hate them

Adam Seeley

Oct 12, 2010, 12:16:18 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

bonsai kitten?

A.

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Oct 12, 2010, 12:15:56 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
LOL - Awesome!

Joe Williamsen

Oct 12, 2010, 12:17:27 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The Softimage Companion Cube!  I'll bet they use this at Valve....

Alan Fregtman

Oct 12, 2010, 1:33:57 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Eric, new section at XSIDB for Viewcube skins? watcha say? ;) haha
image001.jpg

César Sáez

Oct 12, 2010, 1:34:56 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice, I love the rubik version! :)

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Oct 12, 2010, 1:37:13 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Guys, you were all eager to get your hands on Lagoa and all I see is posts about the viewcube?!!!

Really! LOL!

MAC

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 12, 2010, 1:44:29 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah, looked at lagoa... meh, it has nothing on the view cube :)

Seriously, I loaded all the lagoa sample scenes, and it blew my mind to the extend where I can do nothing but mod the view cube until I recover.
I supose it will take some time to wrap my head around lagoa before I can start asking dumb questions about it.
So far this is a pretty awesome release. It seems like its a bigger release than 2011

Alan Fregtman

Oct 12, 2010, 2:24:33 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Another cool tip... There is a hidden preference that will enable animated camera transitions for everything (like in Maya) but it's considered *unsupported* so use at your own peril. (Seems to work ok for me though.)

SetValue "Preferences.camera.animate", 1

:)

Raffaele Fragapane

Oct 12, 2010, 6:27:30 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice, now I need a supermario skin for it...

Robert Chapman

Oct 12, 2010, 6:48:53 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
feeling lucky...?

also to change the lettering put the amended VCfacetext.png in the ENU folder
dicemod.png
VCfacetext.png
VCfacemap.png

Orlando Esponda

Oct 12, 2010, 8:19:54 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Here's mine...

Check this site and have fun  :)    http://www.cubeecraft.com/

Orlando.

viewcube.jpg

Bradley Gabe

Oct 12, 2010, 9:51:12 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I did this one for my Maya install not too long after the aquisition of Soft:

AdskCube.jpg
AdskCube.jpg

Steven Caron

Oct 12, 2010, 9:57:42 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
sweet, look who is on top...

AdskCube.jpg

Kris Rivel

Oct 12, 2010, 10:23:46 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Lol you guys are nuts...hysterical.

Kris
AdskCube.jpg

Eric Thivierge

Oct 12, 2010, 10:35:19 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'll make a new section for sure.  >:p

This is an amazing thread btw. We should have a thread of the year award. Seriously. Winner gets the previously mentioned plush view cube toy.

All your cube r belong to us....

Eric Thivierge
Technical Director
http://www.ethivierge.com
AdskCube.jpg

Adam Sale

Oct 12, 2010, 11:45:42 PM10/12/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
keen observation there mr. caron
AdskCube.jpg

Darren Macpherson

Oct 13, 2010, 3:58:30 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Gesh Gerbrand, way to derail productivity :)  You should put yours on the beginning of your showreel, you could headline it 'for the guy who brought portal to a UI near you' you'll get snapped up for jobs in no time!
--
darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Gerbrand Nel

Oct 13, 2010, 4:12:45 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Adventure, excitement. A Jedi craves not these things. :)

Rob Wuijster

Oct 13, 2010, 4:29:50 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
or a trooper.... ;-)

vr.gr.,

Rob Wuijster
E ro...@casema.nl

\/-------------\/----------------\/

storm-cube.jpg

Rob Wuijster

Oct 13, 2010, 4:58:42 AM10/13/10
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
last one, for the British Sci-Fi lovers.. ;-)
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/
tardis-cube.jpg

Rob Wuijster

Bradley Gabe

Oct 13, 2010, 10:33:44 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
British Sci-Fi?!  Where is Lister, Rimmer, Cat, Kryten???

Rob Wuijster

Oct 13, 2010, 10:46:42 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hehe... True... Kryten would make a nice viewcube :-)
rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

Luc-Eric Rousseau

Oct 13, 2010, 11:24:12 AM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Joe Williamsen

Oct 13, 2010, 3:16:35 PM10/13/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Bring back the (Explore) Dial Box! :)

Adam Seeley

Oct 14, 2010, 5:26:14 AM10/14/10
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

Has anybody used the Sleeping mode in Momentum?

I'm assuming it's this feature activates the simulation when another element has an influence on it, e.g. a collision.
Although I've set GImpact Actual shape on all the elements, the Sleeping mode seem to use a bounding box to set off the simulation rather than actual shape.

This is fine for cubes, brick and spheres but not so great for more complex geometry.

Is this the expected behaviour or am I mssing an option somewhere?
I've attached a small scene to demonstrate.

Many thanks,

Adam.

p.s. 2011.5... lagoa... bl**dy hell... so much to learn, so much work in the way!

momentum_sleeping_test_1.rar
momentum_sleeping_problem.jpg