A small ICE suggestion

David Barosin

Jun 13, 2011, 4:31:20 PM6/13/11
to xsi
It would be nice to have a right click context menu option to add a 'pass thru' node in front of the selected ICE node.

jimmy gass

Jun 13, 2011, 4:35:03 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
agreed

also, if that node you are wanting to pass through is plugged into multiple nodes, it will account for all of them. When dragging in a pass through, and you have it used a few time, you have to manually connect them all...

Bradley Gabe

Jun 13, 2011, 4:37:35 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I wrote a self installing pluging that does exactly that. Lemme see if I can fish it up...

Octavian Ureche

Jun 13, 2011, 4:40:22 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ha, while we're at it, how about integrating / improving? andy' tab
menu in ice and the rendertree, and adding a straight line option for
viewing the links between nodes a 'la nuke/houdini. it would make xsi
life so much nicer.

David Barosin

Jun 13, 2011, 5:58:21 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sweet Brad.  No worries if you can't find it.  Just seems like a reoccurring moment for many of us.  I was thinking it was a candidate for the next release.

Gene Crucean

Jun 13, 2011, 7:03:53 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+1

I'd also like to see a tab + type kind of setup similar to nuke and houdini for the ice tree.

Instead of always having the full list of nodes visible and hogging space, it would be nice to have this contextual menu type of setup. It's super handy in nuke/houdini.
--
[Gene Crucean] - [VFX & CG Supervisor/Generalist]
** Freelance for hire **

Fabricio Chamon

Jun 13, 2011, 8:37:18 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
may I add one?

right click on any set data input port > get this data
(or the inverse) right click on any get data node > set this data

this would replace the boring workflow of copying variable name > grab
get/set data node > paste variable name.

I'm considering doing it here as an addon, but it would be nice to
have an out of the box solution for this..

Guillaume Laforge

Jun 13, 2011, 9:08:11 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I was thinking exactly the same Fabricio ! Copy/pasting a set/get data string reference into a get/set data is done so many time.

Don't read between lines btw, nothing planed or not-planed for this tool at AD.

Cheers

Guillaume

Sam Cuttriss

Jun 13, 2011, 11:34:19 PM6/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yeah, i was thinking something like if you shift drag a "get" particle size node from the menu it automatically get the corresponding "set" node and attach it.

Fabricio Chamon

Jun 14, 2011, 9:49:53 AM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
good to know it is a shared perspective Guillaume!
even though there's nothing planned, it could serve as a good starting
point for further discussions.

jimmy gass

Jun 14, 2011, 12:20:29 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
this would replace the boring workflow of copying variable name > grab
get/set data node > paste variable name.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly,

But can't you get this by just plugging the "out name" of the get data to the "in name" of the set data, and you only have to write the variable in the get data?

Fabricio Chamon

Jun 14, 2011, 12:53:37 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
you can, but sometimes you'd prefer having separate nodes for better
graph readability.

Octavian Ureche

Jun 14, 2011, 1:08:07 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
About readability, i don't know about you guys, but i think it would
help tremendously if the whole nodal system would be modified a little
bit, so that it would also allow for vertical style construction of
the trees. As it is right now, everything in xsi is built around the
left-to-right mindset (fusion style), but working with other tools, i
see a growing trend towards the vertical approach. I know that a
vertical workflow can be used right now, but it is forced, as the
incoming ports of the nodes, among other things, are all on the sides.
Maybe have the dots of the ports shift from sides to top-bottom
depending on where the connection is coming from, and in this case,
leave the text info from the ports out of the actual node, and only
triggered on a query basis, or a pop-up window (similar to a collapsed
state).

Just my 2 cents,
Octav

Octavian Ureche

Jun 14, 2011, 1:14:28 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Actually, on second thought, the whole idea with the switching of
ports positions seems a bit ridiculous.
If it were that simple to do a vertical/horizontal hybrid visual
system, some geniuses over there would have figured it out.

Eric Turman

Jun 14, 2011, 1:27:55 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think that it is also a matter of the connections getting tangle up under nodes that they need to cross. A large ICE tree can look like a black widow spiderweb on crack. In Nuke you are able to drop a "dot" (I can't remember what it is called right now) so you can force the visual path of your connections around in an organized manner by connecting to and from that "dot" node.

-=Eric
--

-=T=-

Juhani Karlsson

Jun 14, 2011, 1:34:55 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think it is called "elbow node" in Fusion, very handy. Dunno about nuke.

Eric Turman

Jun 14, 2011, 1:38:43 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, whatever it is called, it *is very handy on keeping things tidy
--

-=T=-

Octavian Ureche

Jun 14, 2011, 1:45:05 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is indeed called a dot. handy little bugger.
Unfortunately any kind of similar node "routers" would be pretty
useless in an ice context.
In nuke or any comp package for that matter, there's only a single
type of data flowing along, while in ice u have all kinds of things,
so taking all that and trying to route it through a proxy port would
make the mess even messier.
Intially i thought of the houdini context, but even there, at the top
level, it acts like a comping package does, piping the same "type" of
data between nodes, thus it is quite easy to hook stuff up in any
visual fashion. Once you get at the "vop" level, things look just like
ice, even worse from a visual perspective :)

Thomas Volkmann

Jun 14, 2011, 1:48:43 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
+1
And while we're at it:
Navigating with middle-mousebutton would be cool, and maybe something like a grease-pencil to label parts of the tree. Now there is the group comment, but to read what it says you always have to zoom in...

Grahame Fuller

Jun 14, 2011, 1:49:32 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well, you can drop a Pass Through node onto a connection and then move it wherever you want. They do take up more real estate than a dot, though, and you also loose info about the connection in the popup that appears when you over over the connections while zoomed out.

gray

winmail.dat

Ciaran Moloney

Jun 14, 2011, 1:55:02 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't know...I find Nuke up/down layout a little harder to read the whole flow of things at once (maybe I'm using it wrong!). I guess you can often view more of the ICE graph at once because of the aspect ratio of our monitors, which keep getting wider.

Ciaran Moloney

Jun 14, 2011, 1:56:46 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Has anyone ever looked inside the main emFluid 3 compound? Some interesting graffiti in there.

tak...@earthlink.net

Jun 14, 2011, 2:02:03 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I have to admit I was slightly disappointed to see that there wasn't data actually flowing through it...

-T
Jun 14, 2011, 5:19:30 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
In front of which Port of the selected ICE node? All of it's ports, or always just the first one?

If I get this right you want a workflow like this:

1. In a compound select one or more nodes which have ports you want to pass through
2. Envoke RC-Menu, click "Pass through" and a Pass through node is created for every selected nodes first port (or all of its ports)
and resulting Pass Through node's input ports will be connected to the list of exposed input ports of the current compound node that is being edited.

Is this what you had in mind?

> It would be nice to have a right click context menu option to add a 'pass
> thru' node in front of the selected ICE node.

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof
1050 Vienna Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Ciaran Moloney

Jun 14, 2011, 5:36:22 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a context menu for ICE node ports. You could just click on the port that should connect to the passthrough.

David Barosin

Jun 14, 2011, 5:38:25 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Stefan you bring up a good point.  The motivation was to make it easy to swap nodes that connect to many places.  So handling all output port would probably be the coarse solution.  I could see arguments for both options that you mention though.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Stefan Kubicek <s...@tidbit-images.com> wrote:
In front of which Port of the selected ICE node? All of it's ports, or always just the first one?

If I get this right you want a workflow like this:

1. In a compound select one or more nodes which have ports you want to pass through
2. Envoke RC-Menu, click "Pass through" and a Pass through node is created for every selected nodes first port (or all of its ports)
       and resulting Pass Through node's input ports will be connected to the list of exposed input ports of the current compound node that is being edited.

Is this what you had in mind?

It would be nice to have a right click context menu option to add a 'pass
thru' node in front of the selected ICE node.

Stefan Kubicek                   Co-founder
         keyvis digital imagery
        Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof

David Barosin

Jun 14, 2011, 5:39:13 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Does that work for output ports too?

Ciaran Moloney

Jun 14, 2011, 5:46:52 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I haven't worked with that stuff for a while, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Jean-Philippe Delisle

Jun 14, 2011, 6:12:34 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Personally, I think that if you want a better readability, we should have a way to build struct and inspect those struct with a get data. I was kind of disappointed when I try to plug a Topology node in the source of a get data and it didn’t want. Topology was a dataType that I was expecting in the form of a struct.

JP

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:46 PM

Stefan Kubicek

Jun 14, 2011, 6:14:54 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
@Ciaran: Right,thx, I just found that one too. Is this one of the newly exposed Menu Anchor points in 2012 SP1 (as of FELX-562) ?
I think it shouldn't be too hard to add a menu entry there to connect the corresponding port with a Pass Through node and have that connected to the compound input port list.
Straight forward and 100% deterministic.

Speaking of 2012SP1, and FELX-562 in particular, I can see that a lot of Menu anchor points have been added (thanks to whoever at ADSK took a heart and finally exposed those, I think I
wished for many of those at least a dozen times), but I wonder what View Attributes were actually added that the change description mentions. Are they listed somewhere?
I briefly looked over the View Attributes Documentation (http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/sdkguide/si_cmds/ViewAttributes.html#) but couldn't find any that appeared to be new,
I must have missed soimething, or some other attributes are meant and I'm on the wrong page.

@David: Question about doing this with multiple selected nodes remains: Which of the ports should be connected? Quite surely not all of them in 99.9% of all cases, or is this rather common?
Many times it would not be the first one either, or am I wrong? As a workaround maybe one could select the nodes and display the Property Editor, then mark the parameters that should be connected with a pass through node,
then call the command to create the pass through nodes and do all the wiring, but strangely the PPG for multiple selected ICE nodes only pops up when the selected nodes are not inside a compound. A bug? Or intention?
Ideas? Suggestions?

David Barosin

Jun 14, 2011, 7:50:09 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Selecting multiple nodes goes beyond what I was imagining.  More the idea of what Ciaran is suggesting.  Just inserting a pass thru after a specific output port that would maintain connections with any downstream nodes.

If a node had many outputs then you could right click on a specific port to add the pass thru.  All this hinging on the ability to have a context menu for output ports.

        Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof

Stephen Blair

Jun 15, 2011, 6:38:51 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a selectedlayer attribute for the scene layer manager and a Target for the schematic.
http://wp.me/powV4-YP

Jun 15, 2011, 6:52:20 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I have aways wished that compositing softwares would have layered node&flowview. : D
It would be so nice to be able to move in layers of depth also..

- Juhani

Stefan Kubicek

Jun 15, 2011, 6:57:20 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you Steven!

Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof

Stefan Kubicek

Jun 15, 2011, 7:14:57 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry, that's Stephen with "ph" of course.

Ciaran Moloney

Jul 4, 2011, 6:55:49 PM7/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I had a little go at this myself: http://blog.blackredking.org/?p=201.

There's no context menu for output ports as such, so just right-click on the outgoing wire (which is really the connected input port). Also, there's a context menu to remove pass through nodes.
Of course, there's no way to control where in the ICE universe the created pass through node will land.....

Ciaran

Fabricio Chamon

Jul 4, 2011, 11:06:50 PM7/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
nice one Ciaran! super useful

"there's no way to control where in the ICE universe the created pass
through node will land...."

major PITA

David Barosin

Jul 4, 2011, 11:54:47 PM7/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ciaran!  Very cool.  Thanks for putting the time and brain cycles in on this.  Inspiring.

Andy Moorer

Jul 5, 2011, 12:33:40 AM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
What a time saver. Awesome, Ciaran.

tak...@earthlink.net

Jul 5, 2011, 12:30:04 AM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Nice one, Ciaran! Very cool.

-T

Jul 5, 2011, 8:53:40 AM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey, no problem! Scripting ICE trees is always an adventure....

btw here:'s an updated version with some bugs squished: CM_ICEPortPassthrough-1.02.xsiaddon

Thomas Le Calvé

Jul 5, 2011, 9:19:14 AM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks !

Now AD, please, we need a way to control a node's position, like the FX tree api can ! (I'm an aesthete ;) )

Thomas Le Calvé

Fabricio Chamon

Jul 5, 2011, 1:25:45 PM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
sorry for the thread hijacking Ciaran, but while we are on the
subject, here's some ice workflow utilities I've just finished coding.
As we already started brainstorming in this thread, I find it a good
place to post:

ICE Workflow Utilities
http://vimeo.com/26015535
download addon: dl.dropbox.com/​u/​17263464/​Addons/​ICE_WorkflowUtils.xsiaddon

*requires a softimage restart after installation. (or after any change
in the submenu mode (combobox) on the user preferences.)

of course this random node placements are going to be a showstopper
eventually; (on big icetrees)

Gene Crucean

Jul 5, 2011, 1:32:15 PM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice! I'm liking where this thread is going :)

Thanks Ciaran and Fabricio

--
Gene Crucean - VFX & CG Supervisor / Generalist
** Freelance for hire **

~~ This email address is ONLY my email for lists. If you want to send a personal email to me and do not know my main email address, please use my website's contact form. www.genecrucean.com. Thanks. ~~

Mathieu Leclaire

Jul 5, 2011, 1:59:34 PM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh yeah!! ...these are all so useful !!

Now if only someone can figure out a way to write a plug-in that can
quickly move exposed ports inside a compound up and down instead of
having to rely on a right-click move up, right-click move up,
right-click move up... that one still drives me crazy.

Thanks for sharing guys.

-Mathieu

Fabricio Chamon

Jul 5, 2011, 2:16:38 PM7/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Now if only someone can figure out a way to write a plug-in that can
quickly move exposed ports inside a compound up and down instead of
having to rely on a right-click move up, right-click move up,
right-click move up... that one still drives me crazy."

please DO ! +1000000000000000

Sebastian Kowalski

Jul 6, 2011, 3:55:47 AM7/6/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
this is unbelievable practical! thanks a lot Fabricio

Ciaran Moloney

Jul 6, 2011, 4:51:44 AM7/6/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Excellent idea! I'll be using this one for sure.