Raycast weight map

Stefan Andersson

Jan 24, 2012, 5:07:59 AM1/24/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to raycast a parallel direction (much
like a directional light) onto a mesh. And I'm not sure how to go
about it.
Best would be if I somehow could use the objects world normals... Then
I could filter that to be a weight map.

Do I make sense?

Anyhow, a pointer in the right direction would most helpful.

Stefan Andersson
Creative Director

Mad Crew
Roddargatan 8
116 20 Stockholm
SWEDEN

mail: ste...@madcrew.se
cell: +46-73-6268850
web: http://www.madcrew.se

Paul Smith

Jan 24, 2012, 5:20:19 AM1/24/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Im not entirely sure what you mean but If you want all your points to
raycast in the same direction ( parallel) then just put one vector in for
them all to use. IE. dont use anything that is different per-point like
normals, or point position.. Just adjust the single 3d vector direction on
the raycast node and they will all be in parallel.

Matt Lowery

Jan 24, 2012, 5:22:41 AM1/24/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There was a tutorial video, by Paul Smith I believe, about using ICE to
build a ray-trace renderer a while back.That might be a good place to start
http://vimeo.com/20331231

Not exactly what you are looking for I know, but it might get you
pointed in the right direction.
m@

Thomas Volkmann

Jan 24, 2012, 5:35:51 AM1/24/12