BA Fluid Alpha 0.02

Schoenberger

Jun 7, 2011, 11:53:50 AM6/7/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

I have compiled a new version of the fluid shader.
New features:
- Linux
- SI 2012
- Blender fluid files.

You can download it at:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110607__baVolume_v4alpha_0.02___Softimage_2010.zip
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110607__baVolume_v4alpha_0.02___Softimage_2011.zip
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110607__baVolume_v4alpha_0.02___Softimage_2012.zip

Note:
Alpha means that it does not have all features, it does not mean that
it is unstable.

Holger Schoenberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Vladimir Jankijevic

Jun 7, 2011, 5:07:06 PM6/7/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
there is no BA_Fluid.so in the xsiaddon! I checked all three links

could you please provide this one, I would love to try it out!

thank you
vladimir
--
---------------------------------------
Vladimir Jankijevic

Elefant Studios AG
Lessingstrasse 15
CH-8002 Zürich

+41 44 500 48 20

www.elefantstudios.ch
---------------------------------------

Gene Crucean

Jun 7, 2011, 5:52:58 PM6/7/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yessssss!!

Thanks Holger
--
[Gene Crucean] - [VFX & CG Supervisor/Generalist]
** Freelance for hire **

Schoenberger

Jun 8, 2011, 5:21:55 AM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

And again, as there was this question again:
Arnold does not suppport volume shaders in the current version.

Holger Sch�nberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Ben Beckett

Jun 8, 2011, 5:46:58 AM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi List

Would it be passable for someone to post a screen capture/Image of the way this is connected in the render tree.

That would be brill

Thanks
Ben

On 8 June 2011 10:21, Schoenberger <X...@digidragon.de> wrote:

And again, as there was this question again:
Arnold does not suppport volume shaders in the current version.

Holger Schönberger

Schoenberger

Jun 8, 2011, 6:52:46 AM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

Will add it to the help files as I have to repack with the missing linux lib anyway.

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Jun 8, 2011, 8:29:06 AM6/8/11
to Softimage Userlist
Awesome Holger!

Cheers
Morten Bartholdy

--
Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
3D/VFX Supervisor

dominik

Jun 8, 2011, 8:51:35 AM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I tried Ba_volume with 2012 this morning,

Does something change in the way of using the ba_fluid shader? What was working in 2011 doesn't work for me in 2012. Using the standard Emfluid model and Setting waste in the ba_fluid_value_float and clip max to 0.001, bias to 0.5. It give me a big cube of smoke.

Any idea what it could be or do someone encounter the same problem with 2012 ?

Jun 8, 2011, 2:21:27 PM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hey holger,

thanks for the linux update!

I have a problem though. ok, what I did is:

- get grid
- get pointcloud
- explode the emFluid4 on a simulated tree on the pointcloud
- connect grid to get emission
- new shader for the pc, apply the emFluid_baFluid.xsishaders file to it

then I get a white cube with this message in the log:
# WARNING : PHEN 0.12 warn : BA_fluid: ICE data invalid, please re-simulate

?? help please

vladimir

Holger Schoenberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Schoenberger

Jun 8, 2011, 12:48:42 PM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Schoenberger

Jun 8, 2011, 7:14:35 PM6/8/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Restarting the scene from frame 0 does not help?

Holger Schönberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Jun 9, 2011, 2:16:48 AM6/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Holger,

thanks for your shaders.

Could you add a roundtrip tutorial to the helpfiles, containing
a working cachefile as well as it´s source *.ma or *.scn file?

E.g. not only supply screenshots of the RT network with geoShader setup
and BA_fluid but also a setup file that helps in verifying that initial
cache data is correctly created and written?

My caches (*.mc/*.bphys) now seem to load correctly into your BA_fluid_loader
but I get no useable output, suspecting my cache data is mapped way off.

A reference scene along with a few cached frames would help alot.

Cheers

tim

Schoenberger

Jun 9, 2011, 5:26:55 AM6/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi

Yes, sample scenes and tutorials will all be included at some time.
Please check the render log, and messages?
Probably you have not set the right grid resolution?
I should have some caches with Maya and Blender files somewhere I used for
testing, I will see if I can pack them.

Holger Sch�nberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Tim Leydecker

Jun 9, 2011, 9:27:24 AM6/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Holger,

that�ll sure help in verifying the proper setup and usage!

Cheers

tim

P.S: I�m unlikely to respond much to mails for a few couple of days,
even thought I do read them all, so bear with me if I don�t respond,
am busy doing Fr�hjahrsputz/backup/the dishes/nothing at all/steaks/..

Ricardo Ramirez

Jun 14, 2011, 2:51:59 PM6/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm having the same issue as Vladimir.  I loaded up emFluid4_v.4.01___Volume_Rendering_with_baVolume_02.scn from the emFluid test scenes.  Restarting at frame 0 still gets me the following message:
# WARNING : PHEN 0.8  warn : BA_fluid: ICE data invalid, please re-simulate

Does the pointcloud need to be cached?
--
Rick Ramirez
Eden FX

Sam Cuttriss

Jun 15, 2011, 3:20:10 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
same error here.
it just renders a white cube in soft 2012
running the emfluid4 volume_rendering_with_bavolume_01 scene

Schoenberger

Jun 15, 2011, 12:33:57 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sample Scenes should be available until next week.

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Jun 19, 2011, 9:14:10 AM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Gerbrand Nel

Jun 19, 2011, 12:28:42 PM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for this Holger
You've given me a reason to use Mental ray again :)

No virus found in this message.

Gerbrand Nel

Jun 19, 2011, 12:50:54 PM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK for some reason the 2011 one doesn't work for me. the 2012 one seems fine though

Schoenberger

Jun 19, 2011, 1:03:43 PM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hmm, tested 2010, 2011 and 2012 yesterday and it worked.
Which error message do you get?

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Jun 19, 2011, 1:49:40 PM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hmm, ok, a packaging error. Will take a look at the tool.
Just take the spdl from the other SI version.
The addon is the same beside the Dlls.

Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:12 PM

Gerbrand Nel

Jun 19, 2011, 11:04:55 PM6/19/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just checked in the explorer.. ( last night I just checked in softimage) the bin and the spdl folders are missing in the 2011 version

Gene Crucean

Jun 20, 2011, 1:24:32 AM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I just ran into this issue today also. No bin or spdl folders.
--
[Gene Crucean] - [VFX & CG Supervisor/Generalist]
** Freelance for hire **

~~ This email address is ONLY my email for lists. If you want to send a personal email to me and do not know my main email address, please use my website's contact form. www.genecrucean.com. Thanks. ~~

Schoenberger

Jun 20, 2011, 5:56:50 AM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hmm, ran into a SI bug.
All files are in my workgroup, the addon cration tells me
"Packaging of 63 files complete (1.069 seconds)"
but there are not 63 files in the addon file....

Quoting Gene Crucean <emailgene...@gmail.com>:

> I just ran into this issue today also. No bin or spdl folders.
>

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Gerbrand Nel <g...@cannonballbunny.com> wrote:
>

>> **

>> Just checked in the explorer.. ( last night I just checked in softimage)
>> the bin and the spdl folders are missing in the 2011 version
>>
>> On 2011/06/19 07:49 PM, Schoenberger wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, ok, a packaging error. Will take a look at the tool.
>> Just take the spdl from the other SI version.
>> The addon is the same beside the Dlls.
>>

>> Holger Sch�nberger

>> technical director
>> The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night
>>

>> ------------------------------

Schoenberger

Jun 20, 2011, 10:21:13 AM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Ok, fixed it by packaging it with a different SI version:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110620__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softimage_2011.zip

And a new sample scene with emFluid which uses two gradients driven by
emfluid heat:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/emFluid_fire.zip

Holger Schoenberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Olivier Jeannel

Jun 20, 2011, 11:45:58 AM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Seems the Polynoid gang participated to the Resonance "collaborative
experience"
In the middle of the compilation of various hyper cool movies is the one
from Polynoid.
http://vimeo.com/25186640
Just incredible. Would love a few technical input.

Olivier

Gene Crucean

Schoenberger

Jun 20, 2011, 12:51:16 PM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> Which version of Soft was having the package issues?
Softimage_2010_SP1_x64

Strange thing is that I used that version to package all addons for
all versions.
Only the 2011 addon was not packed right.
All contain the same files (beside the difference compilation of the Dlls/so)

dominik

Jun 20, 2011, 2:41:38 PM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Holger,

Thanks a lot, it working fine for me with SI 2012.

Dominik Kirouac // SHED
artiste 3D
1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E �TAGE MONTR�AL (QU�BEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025 WWW.SHEDMTL.COM

Jun 20, 2011, 5:14:48 PM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey,

One question about the caching with emfluid4 and BA_Fluid ? is it possible ?
Or I can't render on a farm with the BA_Fluid shader?

Thx

Schoenberger

Jun 20, 2011, 5:20:56 PM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

You should not need to cache for rendering in XSI.
If you can cache emFluid sims, that is a question for Eric.

Holger Sch�nberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Guillaume Laforge

Jun 20, 2011, 5:38:18 PM6/20/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Really cool !

Thanks for the link :)

Ctedin

Jun 21, 2011, 12:03:15 AM6/21/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Very cool indeed

Christopher Tedin

Schoenberger

Jun 24, 2011, 6:56:01 AM6/24/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

For those that want to use texture coodinates from the maya sim:
I have made a comparison with two different coordinate speeds and textured fluids:
http://www.vimeo.com/25548361
http://www.vimeo.com/25548256

Morten Bartholdy

Aug 5, 2011, 8:49:52 AM8/5/11
to Softimage Userlist
Holger - do you still have the emFluid based sample scenes somewhere for
download? I lost everything due to flooding, so I am working on getting up
to speed on this one and would like to play with the emFluid ones. I have
looked through the mailing list but only found the maya and blender ones
listed here.

Cheers - Morten

> Ok, took some time, here is the new version:
> + Sample scenes for loading maya and blender files
> + emfluid in 2012 issue fixed
>
> www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/

> <http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110619__baVolume_samples.zip>
> 110619__baVolume_samples.zip
> www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/
> <http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softim
> age_2010.zip> 110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softimage_2010.zip
> www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/
> <http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softim
> age_2011.zip> 110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softimage_2011.zip
> www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/
> <http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softim
> age_2012.zip> 110619__baVolume_v4alpha_0.03___Softimage_2012.zip

> Have fun playing with it.
>
> Holger Schönberger
> technical director
> The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

--
Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
3D/VFX Supervisor

Schoenberger

Aug 6, 2011, 9:53:48 AM8/6/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

Yes, I have them at the office. I will send you a link later.

Holger Sch�nberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Morten Bartholdy

Aug 8, 2011, 7:38:46 AM8/8/11
to Softimage Userlist
Cool, thanks.

MB

> Hi
>
> Yes, I have them at the office. I will send you a link later.
>

> Holger Schönberger

Schoenberger

Aug 9, 2011, 5:51:09 AM8/9/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi

Here it is:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/baVolume_samples.zip

Holger Sch�nberger

technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

Morten Bartholdy

Aug 9, 2011, 9:31:32 AM8/9/11
to Softimage Userlist
Got it - thanks Holger.