V-Ray for Softimage Beta Program... :-)

Thomas Helzle

Sep 28, 2011, 9:22:08 AM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey gang,

just got a mail:
the Open Beta for Vray for XSI is now officially on:

http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_softimage.html?USNL09

While back in 2009 when I first started to beta Vray for XSI it was
still very early alphaish and I guess some others also wondered if
this thing would ever see the light of day. But over the last months
it was a real joy to once more test Vray and see how far it has come.
Vlado and the team were very responsive, open and fast to provide
feedback, fixes and solutions and I can only encourage everybody to
check this out as a very friendly replacement of Mentally challenged
Ray ;-)

Cheers!

Thomas

Vladimir Koylazov

Sep 28, 2011, 3:52:00 PM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Heh I was going to make a post about it, but I see I'm late :-) So yes,
after somewhat long-ish development, we feel that V-Ray for Softimage is
in a usable state, so anyone who wants to take a look is welcome.

Best regards,
Vlado

Eugen Sares

Sep 28, 2011, 4:15:31 PM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Saved the best for last, did you? =}
Great news... VRay is definitely a big plus for Softimage!

Chris Johnson

Sep 28, 2011, 4:27:29 PM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Vlado

Do existing beta users accounts still persist?

--
Chris Johnson
3D Supervisor

John Richard Sanchez

Sep 28, 2011, 4:56:55 PM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just signed up. Looks like vary for XSI has become a real possibility.
--
John Richard Sanchez
www.johnrichardsanchez.com

Vladimir Koylazov

Sep 28, 2011, 5:25:10 PM9/28/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It depends; if you have not been active for some time, then it is
possible that your account has expired. If this is the case , it would
be best to write to vrayso...@chaosgroup.com and our support guys
will check this for you. Other than that, there are no changes for
existing beta users.

Best regards,
Vlado

Morten Bartholdy

Sep 29, 2011, 4:28:36 AM9/29/11
to Softimage Userlist
Glad to hear that Vlado. We use Vray for Maya here and it would be great
if we could work on the same projects using Softimage and Maya with
similar Vray renderengines.

MB

--
Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
3D/VFX Supervisor

GBOT

Oct 2, 2011, 6:46:42 PM10/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can we hope to Phoenix FD for SI in future ? :) It will be totally awesome if xsi finally will get the realistic fluids

Eric Lampi

Oct 3, 2011, 12:05:55 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Finally?  Are you emailing us from 2 years ago?

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 6:46 PM, GBOT <gbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can we hope to Phoenix FD for SI in future ? :) It will be totally awesome if xsi finally will get the realistic fluids

--
Freelance 3D and VFX animator

Ciaran Moloney

Oct 3, 2011, 4:44:33 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You're joking, right?

GBOT

Oct 3, 2011, 5:04:56 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Why joke ? Sorry for misunderstanding - probably it is my bad english, but i dont see anything under xsi for fluid simulation\rendering like ffx\phoenix ( even like maya fluids )

Juhani Karlsson

Oct 3, 2011, 5:39:03 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I agree. Simulation side is covered, but the shaders are not quite there yet.
I have my faith in Mootz however. : )

- Juhani.

Stefan Kubicek

Oct 3, 2011, 5:48:37 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Him, and not to forget Holger, and Solid Angle.

Stefan Kubicek Co-founder
keyvis digital imagery
Wehrgasse 9 - Grï¿œner Hof
1050 Vienna Austria
Phone: +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at ste...@keyvis.at ---
-- This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--

Juhani Karlsson

Oct 3, 2011, 5:52:12 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, definetly. : )

2011/10/3 GBOT <gbo...@gmail.com>

Why joke ? Sorry for misunderstanding - probably it is my bad english, but
i dont see anything under xsi for fluid simulation\rendering like
ffx\phoenix ( even like maya fluids )

Stefan Kubicek                   Co-founder
         keyvis digital imagery
        Wehrgasse 9 - Grüner Hof

Tim Leydecker

Oct 3, 2011, 8:34:47 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

I´d like to also recommend having a look at the VRay for Softimage open beta.

Even thought most people may have found their workarounds for handling mental ray,
including colormanagement and GI/FG/Caustics stuff, I personally find VRay a solid
and reliable alternative with a few nice extras very, very welcome.

It offers quite a bit of flexibility and choices for indirect illumination and
AA sampling as well as load balancing. Arealights "look good" and are convenient
to set up. One can try brute force GI approaches as well as envAO, spherical harmonics
or several combinations of mixing caching techniques with fun&ease.

The default "framebuffers" work well enough and can be easily extended and organized.

Sometimes, it´s good if things come from having to adjust to a 3DS Max world :-)

In any case, as I´m using VRay in Maya at work currently, I´m looking forward to
also see VRay plug itself nicely into the Softimage side of things.

Still, as with everything, reading the manual first helps :-) www.spot3d.com

Cheers,

tim

Ciaran Moloney

Oct 3, 2011, 8:35:31 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No you misunderstood. The joke is not your idea (it's good!) the joke is the idea that we can easily do decent fluid sims in Softimage. If pushing particles is your thing then Soft rocks, if you need something more sophisticated and volumetric, look elsewhere (or roll your own like Andreas Gebhardt).

Eugen Sares

Oct 3, 2011, 9:25:48 AM10/3/11
Am 03.10.2011, 14:34 Uhr, schrieb Tim Leydecker <baue...@gmx.de>:

> Hi,
>
> I´d like to also recommend having a look at the VRay for Softimage open
> beta.
>
> Even thought most people may have found their workarounds for handling
> mental ray,
> including colormanagement and GI/FG/Caustics stuff, I personally find
> VRay a solid
> and reliable alternative with a few nice extras very, very welcome.

I fully agree!
VRay for 3ds max came out in 2002, not long after mental ray was released.
Since then, VRay became more or less the no. 1 render engine on max, and
for a reasons.
Many still stick to max only because of VRay...

> It offers quite a bit of flexibility and choices for indirect
> illumination and
> AA sampling as well as load balancing. Arealights "look good" and are
> convenient
> to set up. One can try brute force GI approaches as well as envAO,
> spherical harmonics
> or several combinations of mixing caching techniques with fun&ease.
>
> The default "framebuffers" work well enough and can be easily extended
> and organized.
>
> Sometimes, it´s good if things come from having to adjust to a 3DS Max
> world :-)

Definitely. Using Softimage meant getting mental ray tunnel vision...

If Arnold is too expensive, VRay is the top choice, and when it comes to
interior lighting, it might even be faster, due to it's many
quality/performance options.
The beta is already looking good, and the devteam seems to be quite
dedicated.
So long, mental ray...

(what's nvidia cooking?)

Dave

Oct 3, 2011, 10:53:21 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi All,

Anyone know how to get/set where a texture operator reads from in the construction history via scripting or C++

Eg when you create a new projection it reads from top of stack, but you can drag it onto any place in the stack and it will read from there, allowing stick/swim type effects

Thanks

Dave

Francois Lord

Oct 3, 2011, 10:57:33 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Application.StickUVW("")

Robert Moodie

Oct 3, 2011, 11:00:49 AM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Search the SDK docs for “MoveOperator”, “MoveOperatorBefore”, “MoveOperatorAfter”.

_Rob

This message, including any attachments, may contain privileged and/or confidential information. Any distribution or use of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies. Thank you.

Adam Sale

Oct 3, 2011, 3:13:28 PM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey guys.. Are there any Softimage docs that are floating around for Vray?

Vladimir Koylazov

Oct 3, 2011, 3:42:27 PM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is somewhat scarce at the moment; the help index for the release version is, of course, being worked on, but is not yet complete. For general V-Ray settings you can check out the help indices for V-Ray for Maya and V-Ray for 3ds Max here: http://www.spot3d.com/ Most of the settings translate directly to V-Ray for Softimage as well. There is also the V-Ray for Softimage forum on our web site.

Best regards,
Vlado

Dave

Oct 3, 2011, 4:17:45 PM10/3/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, that gets me the set position in stack which is a great start, any ideas on finding out where it is currently reading ie what comes up in the tool tip for textureop

Thanks

Dave

Anthony Martin

Oct 4, 2011, 7:37:13 AM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Vlado,

It's good to play with Vray again, brings back memories of my 3DS Max days. But that's been about 4 years ago now and I'm sure Vray for Soft probably has things in it that weren't in the Max released version from way back then.
Anyway, embarrassing question: I've signed up, downloaded and installed Vray but I can't for the life of me find the forum for it on the chaosgroup website. I log into the site and get taken here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/ but it just seems to be for "pdplayer"?

What am I doing wrong? Please help me not be stupid ;)

Cheers,

Anthony

Vladimir Koylazov

Oct 4, 2011, 7:44:40 AM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is the link yes. It would be best to email our support guys at
vrayso...@chaosgroup.com with your forum name and they will sort it
out. I suppose it's a matter of (re)setting the forum permissions for
your account.

Best regards,
Vlado

>> <baue...@gmx.de <mailto:baue...@gmx.de>>:

>> :-) www.spot3d.com <http://www.spot3d.com>

Robert Moodie

Oct 4, 2011, 11:36:36 AM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

I *think* so, but I don’t have the answer on hand. I will check in an old tool at home tonight.

Have you tried just placing it where you want it even regardless of current position. It should just return a warning, not an error.

_rob

Thanks for that, that gets me the set position in stack which is a great start, any ideas on finding out where it is currently reading ie what comes up in the tool tip for textureop

Thanks

Dave

Stephen Blair

Oct 4, 2011, 5:14:07 PM10/4/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
winmail.dat

Robert Moodie

Oct 5, 2011, 11:11:57 AM10/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Not sure, because the Texture Op sits under clusters and props.

I had a look last night and couldn’t find anything, although it was so long ago when did this I can’t remember if I succeeded or not.

Stephen Blair

Oct 5, 2011, 11:58:33 AM10/5/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You can use GetConnectionStackInfo
winmail.dat

Adam Seeley

Oct 12, 2011, 7:39:32 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

did you recieve an answer to this, having same problem myself.

Thanks,

Adam.

Adam Seeley
Senior Animator, Commercials, UK

T: +44 (0)20 7565 1000
E: adam....@primefocusworld.com@primefocusworld.com

www.primefocusworld.com

Oct 12, 2011, 7:50:14 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
sigLogo.gif
ldn.gif

Vladimir Koylazov

Oct 12, 2011, 7:50:52 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com, Adam Seeley
It would be best to email us to vrayso...@chaosgroup.com with your forum name and our support guys will help you out.

Best regards,
Vlado

Anthony Martin

Oct 12, 2011, 7:56:49 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yeah, they sorted it out very quickly.

Adam Seeley

Oct 12, 2011, 8:16:00 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Will do...

Ta,

Adma.

Adam Seeley
Senior Animator, Commercials, UK

T: +44 (0)20 7565 1000
E: adam....@primefocusworld.com@primefocusworld.com

www.primefocusworld.com

Oct 12, 2011, 8:30:37 AM10/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Less use full for the clients but still pretty funny.... (some strong language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzk4P-U9vXo

m@