Xmind takes 1G memory - why so?

Mekk

Nov 21, 2008, 10:51:35 AM11/21/08
to XMIND User Forum
With default xmind.ini xmind takes ~ 1G of virtual memory. This is a
LOT and makes running it uncomfortable on weaker machine.

I briefly experimented and it seems one can noticeably lower those
settings (just by editing xmind.ini) and xmind seems to work properly.

Questions:

- why defaults are so huge,
- what could be true necessary values

?

Mekk

Nov 21, 2008, 10:57:31 AM11/21/08
to XMIND User Forum
Specific example: defaults are

-Xms128m
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I changed those to

Xms64m
-Xmx128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

and xmind seems to work properly (at least for quick test session) and
takes ~360MB of virtual memory indstead of 1G and ~80MB of resident
memory instead of over 200 (IIRC)

Dave Graham

Nov 24, 2008, 2:55:35 PM11/24/08
to XMIND User Forum
my Xmind is running at 467mb right now...reminds me of FireFox's
memory leak days. ;)

in any case, no performance issues here (outside of errors with saving
and exporting data)

dave

stephen zhu

Nov 25, 2008, 5:36:21 AM11/25/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
In fact, my XMind normally needs no more than 200mb.

stephen
--
=========
Skype: stephen0928

veranith

Nov 25, 2008, 8:27:10 AM11/25/08
to XMIND User Forum
Hello,

my Xmind's memory use depends on the map I'm working on (the bigger it
is, the more memory is used...) but I could observe that, just by
moving my map (right click + move the mouse), the memory use keeps
increasing.
I can do this until overflowing my memory and freezing xmind...
If I work with small maps, it is OK but as soon as I get to create
bigger maps, it becomes problematic for me.

Veranith

On 25 nov, 11:36, "stephen zhu" <stephen0928....@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, my XMind normally needs no more than 200mb.
> stephen

NM

Nov 25, 2008, 4:18:19 PM11/25/08
to XMIND User Forum
Hi,

I have also this problem and changing the xmind.ini does not change
anything - xmind 3 often reachs more than 1GB!

What can I do?

cu,

NM

Dec 4, 2008, 4:19:10 PM12/4/08
to XMIND User Forum
is there any solution? xmind takes unlimited memory up to 1GB and
nobody answers!

stephen zhu

Dec 4, 2008, 11:36:27 PM12/4/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
I meet this question when selecting multiple .xmind files and clicking "enter" to open them together.

--
=========
Skype: stephen0928

NM

Dec 5, 2008, 1:46:02 AM12/5/08
to XMIND User Forum
Hi Stephen,

what do you mean is the solution? It is normal that I open some maps
(2-3) at the same time ...

stephen zhu

Dec 5, 2008, 2:37:35 AM12/5/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
Hi

there are no good solutions till now. For my personal use, I let XMind remember my works in last session, and remember more my recently opened files.

If you are interested, please take a look at:  "Edit > Preferences > General"

Sincerely!

Stephen
--
=========
Skype: stephen0928

非常道

Dec 8, 2008, 8:59:43 AM12/8/08
to XMIND User Forum
I meet the same problem. Here it takes more than 1G memory when using
it for some time. I send my issue to the supporter of XMIND and he
said it works well in his machine. ;-(

This is the description in Chinese:

编辑一个79K的文件,居然提交了将近1G的内存,关闭所有的脑图之后,内存占用并不会减少(这一点令人惊奇):http://
screencast.com/t/LkwvsoLn72b
关闭XMind之后,内存占用情况: http://screencast.com/t/UHEfdT0Pkd
通过上面两张图片的对比,可以说明XMind确实占用了那么多的内存。

此外,仅仅通过不断的收起、展开某个节点,你就会在任务管理器中观察到XMind的VM使用量在不断飙升,直至系统提示内存不足。

虽说是Java程序可以自动回收内存,但我猜测XMind还是存在Bug,因为照此发展下去,我的机器很快就会提示内存不足,即便没有提示,也会引起
Windows频繁交换内存,影响用户的使用体验,因为在使用XMind的过程中,一旦切换到其他程序(比如浏览器),就会明显感到机器速度变慢,需要
很久切换的程序才有反映(操作系统需要将之前为了满足XMind内存需要将该程序转存至硬盘的数据重新载入物理内存的过程)。

重现内存不足崩溃的步骤:
首先创建一个测试XMind文件,添加若干节点,保存。
在资源管理器中利用Ctrl-C,Ctrl-V创建20-30个副本。(资源管理器会自动修改文件名,不会造成覆盖)
一次性打开这些文件,然后再全部关闭(Close-All)。
反复第3步。当VM到达1.2G左右的时候,XMind会突然崩溃掉。

非常道

Dec 19, 2008, 2:34:34 AM12/19/08
to XMind User Forum
I have tried 3.0.1, the problem is there too. :-(

Véranith LY

Dec 19, 2008, 4:18:54 AM12/19/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Same for me !
:-(

Dec 19, 2008, 4:49:55 AM12/19/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
what about closing animation(edit>preferences>mind map) and reopening XMind ?
--
=========
Skype: stephen0928

carl...@googlemail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 9:38:10 AM12/20/08
to XMind User Forum
i turned animation and the spell check off, but when i move the map
with mouse, it still takes more and more memory.

carl...@googlemail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 5:41:20 PM12/20/08
to XMind User Forum
and i found that, xmind works much better under ubuntu than windows,
although i can not use the right click to move the map, but it would
not take to much memory.

star...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2008, 12:10:42 AM12/23/08
to XMind User Forum

I notice than when I use the scroll bars to move around or right click
to move the map, that I also see that XMind is using more and more
memory in Vista.

stephen zhu

Dec 26, 2008, 10:48:37 PM12/26/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com
I notice some users meet RAM question all. Although I and my friends do not meet it, but I have a proposal for you:
re-install your XMind,
close animation, shadow effect at "Edit > Preferences > Mind Map"

Hope this can be helpful.

Stephen
--
=========
Skype: stephen0928

Véranith LY

Dec 27, 2008, 7:13:09 AM12/27/08
to xm...@googlegroups.com

Hello Stephen,

I have disabled animation and shadow effect in preference. It doesn’t change a thing, I still have memory issues.

Veranith

Jan 4, 2009, 11:23:22 PM1/4/09
to XMind User Forum
I am also experiencing this problem, and it seems there is no good
solution for this yet. I understand that catching memory leaks is a
difficult task, but it should be done ASAP. The product has a good
interface and functionality, but this stupid memory leak makes it
unusable for serious users.

itsm...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2009, 1:51:52 AM1/8/09
to XMind User Forum
While I don't want to "pile on", I am also having this problem, within
few minutes, XMind goes up to >800MB of memory and really slows
down my system - a solution to this would be very much appreciated!

(at the moment I wind up importing/exporting and doing some editing in
either freemind/mind manager - but that leaves me without all the
great
functions that XMind has ;-)

On Jan 5, 5:23 am, cucawithl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am also experiencing this problem, and it seems there is no good
> solution for this yet. I understand that catchingmemoryleaks is a
> difficult task, but it should be done ASAP. The product has a good
> interface and functionality, but this stupidmemoryleak makes it
> unusable for serious users.

joc...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2009, 5:37:36 PM1/9/09
to XMind User Forum
Hello there!

I just tried Minimem with XMind and it seens allright. In 3 straight
working hours I experienced no crash and no other problem. After
Minimen run the memory usage falls to approx. 1.600 kb.

http://minimem.kerkia.net/

From the site:
"Initially developed for Firefox only, Minimem now can reduce the
memory footprint of any application. It runs in the background and can
be set up to optimize as many proceses as you'd like, using a very
intuitive graphical interface. Unlike other memory optimization tools,
it gives you full control over what applications you want to optimize,
when and how often, as well as the possibility to only optimize memory
when required and relevant.

It optimizes memory by removing as many non-necessary memory pages as
possible from the selected processes. It does so at regular intervals
which can be user-defined as well and every 30s by default, though
uses an advanced pooling mechanism to ensure the CPU usage of Minimem
remains low at all times. This then optimizes your applications which
can load those pages back whenever they need, and makes your overall
system perform much better whenever it is memory limited.

Minimem runs in the background and is fully non-intrusive. It stays in
your tray where you can access its settings at any time and will
remember your favorite settings for an optimal ease-of-use. Its
intuitive GUI should make it useable for any type of user so no
specific skills are required to take advantage of this great tool.

Typical applications are:

Reducing the memory footprint of memory-heavy applications that should
not e.g. web browsers or office applications
Making it easier to run applications with memory leaks, e.g. Firefox 2
or extremely large footprints e.g. Firefox 3
Running multiple applications on the same computer e.g. web desktop
tool, web browser, office application all concurrently
Use computers that are not so recent with modern applications
And many more... "

Hope it helps!

mobang

Jan 9, 2009, 7:01:25 PM1/9/09
to XMind User Forum
Hi,

it seems that the problem only occures under windows with java 1.6.x.
On Mac OSX 10.5.6 with java 1.5.0_16 there is no problem with the
increasing memory by moving or editing the map.
The memory usage is around 230MB by working with a hughe map but falls
only on 190 by closing the map, on startup it takes 80MB.

So maybe it has something to do with the java version or the os?
Java because some have the problem and some not.
OS -> look up ;-)

Ah, I found the bug so a cure is in work, good ;-)

cj

Jan 13, 2009, 8:04:58 PM1/13/09
to XMind User Forum
> it seems that the problem only occures under windows with java 1.6.x.
> On Mac OSX 10.5.6 with java 1.5.0_16 there is no problem with the
> increasing memory by moving or editing the map.

I can verify that this leak is happening under XP with Java 6 Update
11 (1.6.0_11) and _NOT_ leaking on OSX running 1.5.0_16.

非常道

Jan 18, 2009, 5:28:15 AM1/18/09
to XMind User Forum
I tried in my Virtual PC (WinXP with SP3) running JRE 1.5.0_17 and
meet the problem too :-(

非常道

Jan 18, 2009, 5:45:35 AM1/18/09
to XMind User Forum
All such software can only reduce "Mem Usage" not "VM Size". In
another word, it doesn't
reduce the total memory commited by XMind. What it does totally is
swap some memory
into the swap memory that stores in file system.

You can add column which called "Virutal Memory Size" in "Windows Task
Manager" to see what
happened after minmem "reducing the memory".

非常道

Jan 18, 2009, 6:05:11 AM1/18/09
to XMind User Forum
See http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmem.php