Pisa/XHTML2PDF Open Source under Apache License now!

14 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Dirk Holtwick

ungelesen,
16.06.2010, 10:33:3816.06.10
an Pisa XHTML2PDF Support
Hi,

today I decided to release XHTML2PDF, also known as 'pisa', to the Open
Source without charging any fees any more. I have chosen the Apache
License 2.0 which is very liberal but also very reliable. You should not
have any problems to use XHTML2PDF also in your business projects. Also
feel free to modify and redistribute it as you like.

I worked on XHTML2PDF almost 8 years from now and have spend a lot of
time and work in that problem. But as time goes by people also change
and currently my personal focus is more on iPhone, iPad and Mac
development. Therefore I decided to minimize support for my older
projects and release them to the open source.

Another reason is that XHTML2PDF is depending on third party software,
which is often of differing quality. But customers only see the end
product and expect fixes to make the end product work. Since I am not
able to do maintenance and support for those other projects too, the
work could get quite frustrating if you try to find and fix bugs in
other ones software.

A complete rewrite from the ground would have been a good idea, but
there exist already other projects with more promising foundations which
could do the job, like Apache FOP. Anyways I did start writing on it,
and the stopped it. Maybe someone finds it useful (it is also Apache
Licensed, even if I didn't change it everywhere):
http://code.google.com/p/xhtml2pdf-base/

I think for many scenarios when intelligent caching is used XHTML2PDF
can still do a very good job in generating PDF out of the well known
HTML and CSS format. Many very interesting and big companies and
projects are using it. I hope that making the software open source will
prolongate the life of the software in these projects, because now it
can be fully integrated without any license hassles.

I would also like to thank all the people that supported the project in
many ways. It has always been a great pleasure to get such positive
feedback.

Wish you all the best

Cheers Dirk

Dirk Holtwick

ungelesen,
17.06.2010, 08:12:1417.06.10
an Pisa XHTML2PDF Support
The Source code has now moved to GitHub:

http://code.google.com/p/xhtml2pdf/

Happy forking ;)

Dirk

---

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/holtwick

Daniel Hilton

ungelesen,
17.06.2010, 09:06:1417.06.10
an xhtm...@googlegroups.com
2010/6/17 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.h...@gmail.com>:

> The Source code has now moved to GitHub:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/xhtml2pdf/
>
> Happy forking ;)
>
> Dirk

Thanks Dirk!

A great move I feel, thanks for all your hard work on this.
Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Hilton