Limitting access to file system, exposing a filesystem remotely

supah

Mar 9, 2012, 11:49:57 AM3/9/12
to XADisk
Hello,

I'm accessing a XADisk filesystem remotely and i was asking myself if
there is any kind of possibility to limit the access to the folders on
the server filesystem. I don't want to allow the remote filesystem to
access any folder. Is there a way to set a base/home folder on the
server filesystem to limit access? If not how could something like
this be achieved?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel

Nitin Verma

Mar 12, 2012, 3:42:13 PM3/12/12
to XADisk
Hello Daniel,

As of today it is not possible to restrict access to files/folders at
xadisk level. To limit the access, one has to configure appropriate
permissions at the operating system (native file system) level. For
example, you can run the remote xadisk server (the jvm process) as a
user "abc" and assign read/write access to "abc" only over the
relevant files/folders.

This could be a useful feature, I will file a tracking bug for this.

Thanks,
Nitin

Nitin Verma

Mar 12, 2012, 3:45:54 PM3/12/12
to XADisk
Filed a tracking bug for this improvement:

http://java.net/jira/browse/XADISK-104

Daniel Scheibe

Mar 13, 2012, 6:40:05 AM3/13/12
to XADisk
Hi Nitin,

thanks for filing this, appreciated! The reason behind this is, that i
would like to use XADisk as a remote backend for file storage. So it
kinda makes sense expose a root folder and have all file operations
adhere to relative paths inside this folder.

Cheers,
Daniel