wxPython 4.0.0a1

Robin Dunn

Apr 17, 2017, 8:55:09 PM4/17/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, Python-Ann...@python.org

Announcing wxPython 4.0.0a1
---------------------------

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wxPython/4.0.0a1

I'm pleased to announce that wxPython's Project Phoenix has made it's public
debut as wxPython 4.0.0a1, available from PyPI. Don't let the fact that it is
marked as an "alpha" release scare you away. It is an alpha simply because
this is the **first** in several ways:

  * It's the first real release of Phoenix, which is built on a different
    foundation than Classic wxPython was.

  * It's the first wxPython release intended to be fully available from PyPI and
    buildable/installable by pip on all of the supported platforms.

  * It's the first release for Python3 (binaries for 3.5 and 3.6 are provided,
    and building for 3.4 is still possible as well). In addition, Python 2.7
    is also supported from the same codebase, with binaries available.

  * The wheel files are fully self-contained and relocatable on the supported
    platforms, so they are installable in virtual environments without needing
    to be able to find specific versions of the wxWidgets shared libraries
    (or others) at fixed locations elsewhere in the file-system.

  * And as with most alphas, there are still a few things that are not
    finished or polished yet.

But even with all that, many people have been using the pre-release snapshots
of Phoenix for quite a while now, and it has been relatively stable and solid
for them.

What is wxPython?
-----------------

wxPython is a cross-platform GUI toolkit for the Python programming language.
It allows Python programmers to create programs with a robust, highly
functional graphical user interface, simply and easily. It is implemented as a
set of Python extension modules that wrap the GUI components of the popular
wxWidgets cross platform library, which is written in C++. Supported platforms
are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and macOS, and Linux or other unix-like
systems with GTK2 or GTK3 libraries. In most cases the native widgets are used
on each platform to provide a 100% native look and feel for the application.

What is wxPython Phoenix?
-------------------------

wxPython's Project Phoenix is a new from-the-ground-up implementation of
wxPython, created with the intent of making wxPython “better, stronger, faster
than he was before.” In other words, this new implementation is focused on
improving speed, maintainability and extensibility of wxPython, as well as
removing most of the cruft that had accumulated over the long life of Classic
wxPython.

The project has been in development off and on, mostly behind the scenes, for
many years. For the past few years automated snapshot builds have been
available for those adventurous enough to try it, and many people eventually
started using the snapshots in their projects, even for production releases.
While there are still some things on the periphery that need to be completed,
the core of the new wxPython extension modules which wrap the wxWidgets code
has been stable for a long time now.

Due to some things being cleaned up, reorganized, simplified and dehackified
wxPython Phoenix is not completely backwards compatible with wxPython Classic.
This is intended. In general, however, the API differences tend to be minor
and some applications can use Phoenix with slight, or even no modifications.
In some other cases the correct way to do things was also available in Classic
and it's only the wrong way that has been removed from Phoenix.  For more
information there is a Migration Guide document available at:
https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/MigrationGuide.html

The new wxPython API reference documentation, including all Python-specific
additions and customizations, and docs for the wx.lib package, is located at:
https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/main.html

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Emad Dlala

Apr 17, 2017, 8:58:22 PM4/17/17
to Python-Ann...@python.org, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
This is great news. We are very grateful to you Robin! Thank you.

Umar Yusuf

Apr 17, 2017, 11:46:04 PM4/17/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

I hope it works on mobile OS (Android)?

**************************************

*Wouldn't you rather do Business with us?  *
privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
original. Any use of the email by you is prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail immediately.

**************************************

www.BintaSMS.com <http://www.bintasms.com/>
www.BintaComputers.net <http://www.bintacomputers.net/>

Adrien Tétar

Apr 18, 2017, 6:24:44 AM4/18/17
to wxPython-users, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, Python-Ann...@python.org
Congrats on the release.

I see there are wheels for various Linux distros on the website and none on PyPI. Have you considered producing manylinux wheels?

Robin Dunn

Apr 18, 2017, 11:27:11 AM4/18/17
Adrien Tétar wrote:
Congrats on the release.

I see there are wheels for various Linux distros on the website and none on PyPI. Have you considered producing manylinux wheels?

Yes, I experimented with doing a manylinux1 build a few months ago. There are many external libs that wxWidgets requires that are not included in the manylinux1 spec, which would have complicated the build significantly to include those in the wheel. I do plan on looking into it some more in the future, hopefully a way can be found to make it possible.

Mike Driscoll

Apr 18, 2017, 2:29:06 PM4/18/17
to wxPython-users

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:46:04 PM UTC-5, Umar Yusuf wrote:
Congratulations!

I hope it works on mobile OS (Android)?

wxWidgets itself does not support Android - https://www.wxwidgets.org/about/

So no, it does not.
Mike

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Apr 18, 2017, 7:31:05 PM4/18/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!!! Very good news indeed.

With regard to manylinux wheels:

Some SciPy-related folks have been building wheels for the SciPy
stack. They have some tools to help, and need at least some if the
same libs: libpng, freetype, etc.

Look on gitHub for the project-- if you can't find it, I may be able
too. (In a phone and in a hurry now...)

-Chris

Stefano Mtangoo

Apr 25, 2017, 3:51:33 AM4/25/17
to wxPython-users, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, Python-Ann...@python.org
Hi Robin and wxPythoners,

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 3:55:09 AM UTC+3, Robin Dunn wrote:

Announcing wxPython 4.0.0a1
---------------------------

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wxPython/4.0.0a1

I'm pleased to announce that wxPython's Project Phoenix has made it's public
debut as wxPython 4.0.0a1, available from PyPI. Don't let the fact that it is
marked as an "alpha" release scare you away.

This is great. I have waited for long time as I wanted to write a wxPython projects and didn't wanted to start with Python2
So congratulations and thank you!

Tobias Stampfl

Apr 25, 2017, 11:05:14 AM4/25/17
to wxPython-users, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, Python-Ann...@python.org
Congrats, good job!!!

Just a question, why don't you provide a wheel for Python 3.4?

MuSheng Chen

Apr 25, 2017, 11:05:16 AM4/25/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
great news.

Robin Dunn

Apr 26, 2017, 3:20:45 AM4/26/17

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 8:05:14 AM UTC-7, Tobias Stampfl wrote:
Congrats, good job!!!

Just a question, why don't you provide a wheel for Python 3.4?

I've always just done builds for the current newest release, and the previous release. Besides, 3 builds per platform, per architecture, per toolkit seems like more than enough. :-)

Robin Dunn

Apr 26, 2017, 3:32:08 AM4/26/17
to wxPython-users
I did some more manylinux1 experimenting over the weekend, my progress is in a branch that is linked to this issue: https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/315. Some details about how far I got it are in the README in that branch. The nutshell version is I was able to get a wheel built that was installable on another distro, although it will probably only be usable on fairly new versions of Linux because I wasn't able to go back as far as CentOS5. However since the embedded GTK libs were just the shared libs and not any themes or theme engines and such the style of the UIs look ancient and rather horrid IMO. Somebody who knows GTK better may be able to take it further than this current state. In addition to determining what other parts of GTK needs to be included, it will likely need either postprocessing of the wheel file, or modifications of the auditwheel tool to enable it to include extra stuff.

sebastian lópez

Apr 26, 2017, 7:39:15 AM4/26/17
to wxPython-users, wx-u...@googlegroups.com, wx-an...@googlegroups.com, Python-Ann...@python.org
Good News, I am going to use it now!

Thank you for your effort

Chris Barker

Apr 27, 2017, 12:28:13 PM4/27/17
to wxpython-users
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Robin Dunn <ro...@alldunn.com> wrote:
I did some more manylinux1 experimenting over the weekend, my progress is in a branch that is linked to this issue: https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/315. Some details about how far I got it are in the README in that branch. The nutshell version is I was able to get a wheel built that was installable on another distro, although it will probably only be usable on fairly new versions of Linux because I wasn't able to go back as far as CentOS5.

there is a manylinx2 discussion going on -- maybe just target that :-)

However since the embedded GTK libs were just the shared libs and not any themes or theme engines and such the style of the UIs look ancient and rather horrid IMO. Somebody who knows GTK better may be able to take it further than this current state.

I don't suppose the pyGTK folks are doing anything with this are they?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Florian Höch

Apr 27, 2017, 12:48:29 PM4/27/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Very happy to see the new release. Congratulations!