future of 64-bit wxPython on Mac?

Nathaniel Echols

Aug 23, 2009, 1:48:49 PM8/23/09
to wxPytho...@googlegroups.com
I discovered after some random Googling that Apple is not planning to fully port Carbon to be 64-bit.  For those of us writing scientific software this is potentially very bad news (most of our users are okay with 32-bit but there are some who need support for processes that use well over 10GB memory).  Does anyone have more insight into this?  I assume the change to Cocoa in wxMac will take care of this, but how far along is it?

thanks,
Nat

Kevin Ollivier

Aug 23, 2009, 3:04:01 PM8/23/09
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nat,
Yes, the Cocoa port will address this problem, and it's actually
pretty far along. Pretty much all of the wxPython demo is running
using it, although as it's less mature there are surely some uncaught
bugs.

Hopefully sometime in the near future after wx 2.9.0 is released, I'll
have some time to help Robin prepare a Cocoa release on OS X. IMHO
it's about ready for some wider testing. :-)

Thanks,

Kevin

> thanks,
> Nat

Nathaniel Echols

Aug 24, 2009, 12:52:58 PM8/24/09
On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Kevin Ollivier <kevin...@theolliviers.com> wrote:
Yes, the Cocoa port will address this problem, and it's actually
pretty far along. Pretty much all of the wxPython demo is running
using it, although as it's less mature there are surely some uncaught
bugs.

Hopefully sometime in the near future after wx 2.9.0 is released, I'll
have some time to help Robin prepare a Cocoa release on OS X. IMHO
it's about ready for some wider testing. :-)

Excellent - I'd certainly be happy to help test, since this will be very important for us in the long term.

thanks,
Nat