INFO: Scrollbars + ScrolledWindow + StyledTextCtrl + Scintilla + Natty (Ubuntu 11.4) + Unity

BartonC

Jul 9, 2011, 2:33:20 AM7/9/11
to wxPython-users
The most noticeable effect on wx based apps after upgrading to Natty
is a StyledTextCtrl with horizontal scrollbars enabled suffer gray
lines across the control as it scrolls.

I'm quite surprise that I have not seen many post on the wx lists
regarding this issue.
After weeks of seeking an answer, I finally found a Ubuntu bug track
sight that has nailed down the issue.

The culprit turns out to be Unity's new Overlay Scrollbars.
I've globally disabled these (Gnome 3 apps to use them anyway) by
LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0

The tracker that discuss the issue may be found at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-scrollbar/+bug/769232

A fellow whom I agree strongly with posted on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-application/+bug/527458/comments/199

Hope this save a few souls a little torment...

-barton

James Tunnicliffe

Jul 25, 2011, 10:42:25 AM7/25/11
to wxPython-users
On Jul 9, 7:33 am, BartonC <bar...@bcdesignswell.com> wrote:
> The most noticeable effect on wx based apps after upgrading to Natty
> is a StyledTextCtrl with horizontal scrollbars enabled suffer gray
> lines across the control as it scrolls.
>
> I'm quite surprise that I have not seen many post on the wx lists
> regarding this issue.
> After weeks of seeking an answer, I finally found a Ubuntu bug track
> sight that has nailed down the issue.
>
> The culprit turns out to be Unity's new Overlay Scrollbars.
> I've globally disabled these (Gnome 3 apps to use them anyway) by
> LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0
>
> The tracker that discuss the issue may be found athttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-scrollbar/+bug/769232
>
> A fellow whom I agree strongly with posted onhttps://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-application/+bug/527458/comments...
>
> Hope this save a few souls a little torment...

Sorry to respond to such an old thread, but I just encountered this
myself and didn't find your post until I had solved the problem.
Hopefully mentioning that I have seen the problem with SPE, WinPDB and
Editra all have grey horizontal lines, graphical glitches that is,
when scrolling up using the mouse, either wheel or with the scroll bar
will help search engines find this post more quickly.

I haven't gone so far as to remove the unity scroll bars, but knowing
how to disable them per-application helps.

James

BartonC

Aug 14, 2011, 2:52:27 PM8/14/11
to wxPython-users
Just a note:
This is purely Ubuntu 11.04. I became so frustrated with the whole
mess that:::

# Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Apr 12 2011, 16:16:18)
[GCC 4.6.0 20110331 (Red Hat 4.6.0-2)]
# wxPython 2.8.12.0, Boa Constructor 1.7.2.9
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

print "Fedora FC15; right out of the repos!"

I'll build 2.9.x here soon.

My work on Boa Constructor is no longer hindered by poor performance,
etc.

On Jul 25, 7:42 am, James Tunnicliffe <james.tunnicli...@linaro.org>

BartonC

Aug 27, 2011, 6:07:53 AM8/27/11
to wxPython-users
Better yet, get far far away from ubuntu...
I've settled on Fedora - Everything I needed was in the repos.
It's a bit of work to set up, but you'll be free from all that bloat,
I've also successfully built 2.9.2.1 with very little hassle
-hint- be sure to install gconf as well as the gstreamer-plugin-xxx-
devel packages when the build script tells you that the gstreamer
dependency is missing despite having gstreamer (0.10-devel) installed.