Mech 1.56 is out

1 view

Andy Lester

Jul 9, 2009, 1:54:32 AM7/9/09
to www-mecha...@googlegroups.com
1.56 Thu Jul 9 00:36:54 CDT 2009
[THINGS THAT MAY BREAK YOUR CODE]
For a while, Mech used HTTP::Response::Encoding to try to suss out
the proper encoding of the page it receives. Now, it lets
LWP::UserAgent do the work, and no longer requires
HTTP::Response::Encoding.

[ENHANCEMENTS]
Added a new dump_headers() method to dump the HTTP response headers.

Added --headers flag to mech-dump to dump the HTTP response headers.

[FIXES]
Now requires LWP version 5.829 because HTTP::Response has memory
cycle bugs.

[DOCUMENTATION]
Added a few notes to the FAQ, and fixed some incorrect docs.

1.55_01 Mon Jul 6 12:17:10 CDT 2009
This is mostly a bug fix release. There will be a number of other
bug fix releases in the next few days.

[FIXED]
New test server now randomizes the port it runs on.

t/cookies.t should not hang on Windows any more.

META.yml has been updated so the search.cpan.org links should be
correct.

Passing no_proxy would make LWP::UserAgent barf. Thanks to Mike
Schilli for the fix.

Cookies test would fail under Windows. Fixed, thanks to many people
reporting it.

[ENHANCEMENTS]
$mech->submit_form() now can specify the form by ID using the form_id
parameter.

[DOCUMENTATION]
The docs used to say that ->stack_depth(0) was an infinite stack
size. This is wrong. Zero will tell Mech not to keep any history.

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.theworkinggeek.com => AIM:petdance

radicalbiscuit

Jul 10, 2009, 1:31:48 PM7/10/09
to WWW::Mechanize users
> Andy Lester => a...@petdance.com =>www.theworkinggeek.com=> AIM:petdance

Thanks for the work you do, it's very much appreciated by myself
lately

--radicalbiscuit

Andy Lester

Jul 10, 2009, 1:35:25 PM7/10/09

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:31 PM, radicalbiscuit wrote:

> Thanks for the work you do, it's very much appreciated by myself
> lately
>
> --radicalbiscuit

You're welcome. I appreciate the kind words. I wish I had more time
right now to work on the Mech bugs.

xoxo,
Andy

Jan Dubois

Jul 10, 2009, 6:07:07 PM7/10/09
to www-mecha...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009, Andy Lester wrote:

I can't find any trace of it on CPAN.

Cheers,
-Jan

Andy Lester

Jul 10, 2009, 6:13:03 PM7/10/09

On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Jan Dubois wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009, Andy Lester wrote:
>
> I can't find any trace of it on CPAN.

Wow, you're right. I must not have actually down the tarball upload. :-)

xoa

Paul Miller

Jul 10, 2009, 6:49:32 PM7/10/09
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Andy Lester<an...@petdance.com> wrote:
>> I can't find any trace of it on CPAN.
>
> Wow, you're right. I must not have actually down the tarball upload. :-)

I just did that with Net::IMAP::SImple, but nobody was kind enough to
notice and it took me 7 more days to realize it. :( Being popular
must be nice.

--
If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
110 jumps, 45.0 minutes of freefall, 86.2 freefall miles.

Andy Lester

Jul 10, 2009, 9:07:04 PM7/10/09

On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Paul Miller wrote:

> I just did that with Net::IMAP::SImple, but nobody was kind enough to
> notice and it took me 7 more days to realize it. :( Being popular
> must be nice.

Not necessarily. Often, it's "Hey, how come my bug didn't get
fixed?" :-)

Paul Miller

Jul 10, 2009, 10:24:37 PM7/10/09
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Andy Lester<an...@petdance.com> wrote:
> Not necessarily. Often, it's "Hey, how come my bug didn't get
> fixed?" :-)

haha, right here then:

Andy Lester

Jul 10, 2009, 10:25:25 PM7/10/09
to www-mecha...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 10, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Paul Miller wrote:

Patches welcome! :-)

xoxo,
Andy

Paul Miller

Jul 10, 2009, 10:27:06 PM7/10/09
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Andy Lester<an...@petdance.com> wrote:
>> https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=47701
>
> Patches welcome! :-)

It's on my todo list. I got contract work for the weekend. :)

Gisle Aas

Jul 11, 2009, 8:26:40 AM7/11/09
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 07:54, Andy Lester<an...@petdance.com> wrote:

> 1.56        Thu Jul  9 00:36:54 CDT 2009
> [THINGS THAT MAY BREAK YOUR CODE]
> For a while, Mech used HTTP::Response::Encoding to try to suss out
> the proper encoding of the page it receives.  Now, it lets
> LWP::UserAgent do the work, and no longer requires
> HTTP::Response::Encoding.

It looks like WWW-Mechanize still lists HTTP::Response::Encoding as a
PREREQ_PM module in the Makefile.PL (and META.yml). Since that
modules currently fails to build doesn't that block automatic
installation of WWW-Mechanize?

The modules is also mentioned here:

t/live/encoding.t
16: eval { require HTTP::Response::Encoding };
19: plan skip_all => "HTTP::Response::Encoding not available";

--Gisle

Andy Lester

Jul 12, 2009, 1:45:48 AM7/12/09
to www-mecha...@googlegroups.com
> It looks like WWW-Mechanize still lists HTTP::Response::Encoding as a
> PREREQ_PM module in the Makefile.PL (and META.yml).

Thanks, fixed.

> The modules is also mentioned here:
>
> t/live/encoding.t
> 16: eval { require HTTP::Response::Encoding };
> 19: plan skip_all => "HTTP::Response::Encoding not available";

Not sure where you're looking, because it's not in the CPAN tarball:

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.56/t/live/encoding.t

xoa

Gisle Aas

Jul 12, 2009, 5:26:42 AM7/12/09
On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 07:45, Andy Lester<an...@petdance.com> wrote:

>> The modules is also mentioned here:
>>
>> t/live/encoding.t
>> 16:    eval { require HTTP::Response::Encoding };
>> 19:     plan skip_all => "HTTP::Response::Encoding not available";
>

> Not sure where you're looking, because it's not in the CPAN tarball:
>
> http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.56/t/live/encoding.t

Oh, looks like this was the 1.56 tarball with the patches we use to
build 1.54 in our environment. Sorry about that false alarm.

--Gisle