Removing Bad Data

Dave Walker

May 13, 2008, 9:48:04 PM5/13/08
to wview
I poured water from the wife's watering can through the rain gauge as
a test today, and would like to remove that event from the station
record. I tried various solutions; both editing and deleting *.wlk and
ARC*.txt files, but the bad data just reappear. This system is robust!

Is there a sanctioned, official wview way to remove bad records?

Dave W.

Dave Walker

May 15, 2008, 11:15:28 PM5/15/08
to wview
I have wview set-up and running pretty well the way I want it now, and it will soon be time to install it at the community airport where it will be living. However, during the set-up, I did caused some erroneous data to be generated (precip and barometer) that I would like to remove from the record. Has anyone found a way to "repair" a bad set of data, and if so, what files need to be altered? And, how best to do this?

Dave W.

nigel

May 16, 2008, 3:12:49 AM5/16/08
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Mark has provided a program that can change the data in your .wlk files
- which are the ones that the archive graphs etc are generated from. I
am pretty sure it cannot delete a record though.
What I did, when I had some bad data, was to change the offending
readings to more meaningful values.
Mark's program is called afedit and can be found here:-
http://groups.google.com/group/wview/files
Download afedit.bin, move it to a suitable location and make it
executable. Run it and open up the .wlk file for the period you want to
change (they are in /usr/local/var/wview/archive in my setup).
When you've made the changes, save the file and that's it!
Hope that helps
cheers
Nigel

Dave Walker wrote:
> I have wview set-up and running pretty well the way I want it now, and
> it will soon be time to install it at the community airport where it
> will be living. However, during the set-up, I did caused some
> erroneous data to be generated (precip and barometer) that I would
> like to remove from the record. Has anyone found a way to "repair" a
> bad set of data, and if so, what files need to be altered? And, how
> best to do this?
>
> Dave W.
>
> 2008/5/13 Dave Walker <carol.da...@gmail.com

Dave Walker

May 16, 2008, 10:17:47 AM5/16/08
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nigel - I saw mention of the afedit program in the old forums, and even had it sitting on my Gnome desktop, but did't know what to do with it!

Per your suggestion, I tried to run Marks' afedit program (afedit.bin) as follows in a VT:

chmod +x afedit.bin              (make it executable)
./afedit.bin                            (run it?)

Got an error message (GLIBC_2.4 not found) - so looks like Debian Etch doesn't have the version of GLIBC that is needed. I checked the Debian Etch repositories, and glibc 2.3.6 is available, but might not do the job. I'll Install that and see what happens.

Dave W.

nigel

May 16, 2008, 12:00:59 PM5/16/08
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
hope it does work for you - I didn't come across that error on my
installation (ArchLinux 2.6.25) so hadn't realised it could happen!
I'm very new to Linux so I may well get something wrong.
I suppose, as a last resort, you could delete all your .wlk files and
start from scratch but that is a bit drastic!

Anyway - good luck with getting it sorted - sounds like an interesting
application you have in mind.
cheers
Nigel

Dave Walker wrote:
> Thanks Nigel - I saw mention of the afedit program in the old forums,
> and even had it sitting on my Gnome desktop, but did't know what to do
> with it!
>
> Per your suggestion, I tried to run Marks' afedit program (afedit.bin)
> as follows in a VT:
>
> chmod +x afedit.bin (make it executable)
> ./afedit.bin (run it?)
>
> Got an error message (GLIBC_2.4 not found) - so looks like Debian Etch
> doesn't have the version of GLIBC that is needed. I checked the Debian
> Etch repositories, and glibc 2.3.6 is available, but might not do the
> job. I'll Install that and see what happens.
>
> Dave W.
>

> 2008/5/16 nigel <ni...@nigelheasman.com <mailto:ni...@nigelheasman.com>>:

> > <mailto:carol.da...@gmail.com

Mark Teel

May 16, 2008, 12:34:58 PM5/16/08
to wv...@googlegroups.com
afedit is a QT application - since I use KDE I'm not familiar with the
ins or outs of Gnome and QT...

Mark