vantage pro2: console vs. envoy

Jason Rennie

Sep 3, 2009, 6:32:01 PM9/3/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
I just bought a wireless vantage pro2 and would like to post data to wunderground.com using wview on my Ubuntu box.  I'm debating whether to buy the WeatherLink software w/data logger or the Envoy.  I noticed ("VP Envoy allergic to time changes") that some people have had trouble w/ the envoy.  Would anyone else like to chime in on which solution is more reliable?  Any/all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Research Scientist, ITA Software

Graham Eddy

Sep 3, 2009, 9:14:18 PM9/3/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
unless davis has changed product structures recently, if you want the
console/computer interface you have to buy the weatherlink product
(comprised of serial or usb adapter, hardware data logger, and
weatherlink software) and throw the software away. i bought an envoy
some years ago and moved the interface module from the console to the
envoy; no problems
*Graham Eddy*

On 4/09/2009 8:32 AM, Jason Rennie wrote:
> I just bought a wireless vantage pro2 and would like to post data to
> wunderground.com <http://wunderground.com> using wview on my Ubuntu

Jeff

Sep 4, 2009, 7:56:24 AM9/4/09
to wview
I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless and use both the Envoy and the
console. They work fine. No time change problem with the Envoy.

Jason Rennie

Sep 4, 2009, 8:11:39 AM9/4/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for the reply!  So, in order to use an Envoy to stream data to wview, one needs an interface module which is only sold via the WeatherLink package?  I.e. there's no way I can avoid buying WeatherLink?

Thanks,

Jason

Graham Eddy

Sep 4, 2009, 8:17:40 AM9/4/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
correct. think of it as buying a hardware interface and not using the
optional windoze software component
*Graham Eddy*

Graham Eddy

Sep 4, 2009, 8:30:00 AM9/4/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
let me amend that. there is another davis interface product which
connects you directly to internet and into a proprietary davis web site
for a very simple page, but it does allow you to feed data to
wunderground etc so you can get whatever pages they provide for you -
but in neither case do you have any control over what data is displayed
or who gets to see it

if you want to stage your own data and retain control over content and
distribution, or even run your own reports & alarms with your own data,
you have to get the weatherlink hardware, and use something like wview
[or even use weatherlink software if you're on windoze and have low
enough expectations of weather data management]
*Graham Eddy*

Michael Fraser

Sep 4, 2009, 9:24:12 AM9/4/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Jeff wrote:
> I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless and use both the Envoy and the
> console. They work fine. No time change problem with the Envoy.

I also have both. I had a time change problem in March 2009
(<http://www.begbroke.org/>) but I would certainly be hesitant in
blaming the problem on the Envoy.

Mike

Craig

Sep 4, 2009, 4:28:26 PM9/4/09
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Jeff/,

I've also got both and mine was fine. I had recently flashed the
firmware on all the consoles and Envoys to the latest revision so maybe
that had something to do with it.

Later, C

Joey Stanford

Sep 5, 2009, 11:27:46 AM9/5/09
to wview
Hi,

I have both but I have always exclusively used the wireless Envoy with
datalogger. I keep both updated with the latest firmware. The Envoy
sits in my basement attached to an Ubuntu machine. Works like a charm
and has since 2006.

http://www.stan4d.net/wx

Joey