2012 Official Schedule Released

Jub

Dec 17, 2011, 9:26:36 AM12/17/11
to WSS Planning
Kris Is ASC part of the series in 2012

Newland . Why after 36 years is the Newland is considering moving from
Stelli to SeaTac but won't even consider changing it's name?

I am making an executive decision here If the Newland won't move back
to Stelli, It won't be in the series.

I was quite surprised when I saw so many Bangerz events on the
schedule. Nearly one a month. The CSO is a blatant ripoff of CSI. They
have concerns but not enough to change the letters. I had not decided
to pursue this till I saw how monopolized both weekends and volume at
the two venues were.

I propose we as a group (president is already set) to Hold two one day
WA state series at SeaTac Sat March 24th, July 21st Let them get the
course ready for us.

I further propose that If we hold a SeaTac event and the club fights
us, It's my opinion we don't pay them any club fees.

We will also be adding a Trojan event the weekend of June 9-10

John Anderson

Dec 17, 2011, 5:10:36 PM12/17/11
to wss-pl...@googlegroups.com
Jub a bunch of questions for you, I just want to hear the reasons behind your proposed actions.

Was the Newland always at Stelli?
Why is it so important for the name to be changed?
Is the series more important than an individual event?

Why would the Chainbangerz club "fight" against an event at Sea Tac?
Are you expecting a confrontation?
 What are your motivations in trying to force people to change their event or how their club manages their course?

Please do not take this the wrong way, I just want an explanation.  I have passed no judgment.
Thank You for your time

Jub

Dec 17, 2011, 5:32:43 PM12/17/11
to WSS Planning
Thanks for asking John. This process could also be applied to other
public land courses like Shelton Springs, NAD or Kitsap Fairgrounds.

On Dec 17, 2:10 pm, John Anderson <post...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jub a bunch of questions for you, I just want to hear the reasons
behind
your proposed actions.

Was the Newland always at Stelli?

Yes

Why is it so important for the name to be changed?

Players get Newland/ WA. States confused with Series championship

What are your motivations in trying to force people to change their
event
or how their club manages their course?

Is the series more important than an individual event?

Aren't the players always first. More often then not the event.
In this instance the club believes that it's interests overrule the
players interest. Because the club passed the hat (so to speak) to
fund the Herm buy out Doesn't it stand to reason the course belongs to
the community and is only managed by the club

Why would the Chainbangerz club "fight" against an event at Sea Tac?

you will have to ask Keith this one

Are you expecting a confrontation?

His email pretty much stated That the Newland was our only chance for
a club supported 2012 series event.

John Anderson

Dec 17, 2011, 9:04:06 PM12/17/11
to wss-pl...@googlegroups.com
It is interesting to hear that you think the Series should be a vehicle in policing what is "good" for the player.  I understand your motivation and I appreciate you wanting to improve the game of disc golf in the state.  But I am not convinced that it should be a role of a Series Coordinator.

IMO Until there is a high demand to be in the series, the series should cater to well attended event, because I believe those events are where the player has spoken.  If an event is poorly attended or if the TD does a poor job in running the tournament, then maybe next year they won't be apart of the series.

So you believe the Chainbangerz club is not acting in a way that benefits the player? How is CDGC putting their interest above the interest of the players? Is this a personal opinion or a majority of players opinion?

As far as the "Series Championships", if the Newland event started as a "State Championships" renaming the series final event would probably be the kind thing to do.  The Finale, Climax, Pay Off, Last Act, Crowning etc. could describe such an event.

In the end its up to you on how you handle it. but personally I would try to work with people and compromise,  IMHO stating you would not want to pay Chainbangerz for using Seatac is not a good way in starting negotiations.

Jub

Dec 18, 2011, 10:05:31 AM12/18/11
to WSS Planning

Thanks John

On Dec 17, 6:04 pm, John Anderson <post...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is interesting to hear that you think the Series should be a
vehicle in
policing what is "good" for the player. I understand your motivation
and I
appreciate you wanting to improve the game of disc golf in the
state. But
I am not convinced that it should be a role of a Series Coordinator.

IMO Until there is a high demand to be in the series, the series
should
cater to well attended event, because I believe those events are
where the player has spoken. If an event is poorly attended or if the
TD does a poor
job in running the tournament, then maybe next year they won't be
apart of the series.

jub
It's really not a question of Who's job should it be? In the end it is
the TD's who succeed or fail. In years past the Series Coordinator was
a one man show, making executive decisions and forcing them on the
TD's. I believe it's the Series Coordinator (and this groups) task to
represent the players by offer suggestions from those same players to
the TD's. Our biggest problem is how to offer them in a way that
benefits the players all the while not stepping on too many toes along
the way.

Your concept of poor performance/attendance effecting series
participation needs to be addressed. I beleive that sometimes players
don't feel like they have an advocate and the "Vote with your feet"
mentality is a terrible response coming from someone (TD) whom the
players beleive really cares what they think.

I beleive everyone would benefit if we have a constructive way to
gather feedback. I have long been a proponent of an evaluation form
from Players to the TD's that will eventually benefit not just the
series but the sport in general.

John

So you believe the Chainbangerz club is not acting in a way that
benefits
the player? How is CDGC putting their interest above the interest of
the
players? Is this a personal opinion or a majority of players opinion?

jub
IMO I beleive Bangerz The Business is putting it's needs above
Bangerz the Club and therefore all the DG community. Why else would
you buy out herm out of your own pocket, then pass the hat amongst the
players to repay that loan (in less then one year) and then close the
course to only club events. In the end Didn't the players actually pay
for the baskets?

As far as the "Series Championships", if the Newland event started as
"State Championships" renaming the series final event would probably
be the kind thing to do. The Finale, Climax, Pay Off, Last Act,
Crowning etc.
could describe such an event.

jub
That my point. If the Newland wants to keep confusing the players by
sticking with the WA Championships then they should do it as a stand
alone event.
How can one weekend of golf crown a state champion?

Why should I (as a player) travel and compete all over the state when
I can just play 54 holes on one weekend and be state champ?

It is interesting that the Newland has no intention of changing it's
37th year name but has the compulsion in changing venues.

John

In the end its up to you on how you handle it. but personally I would
try
to work with people and compromise, IMHO stating you would not want
to pay Chainbangerz for using Seatac is not a good way in starting
negotiations.

jub
Actually, it's up to us as a group to decide not just me. It's pretty
clear Bangerz has no intention of allowing a series event at SeaTac
AND is exploiting our ideas and then directly competing against us by
monopolizing one of the best venues by shutting us out from it.

disclaimer This discussion applies to all venues that are not
interested in providing the opportunity for the players to play the
best courses our state has to offer.