WP7 Socket Sample App

Jeremiah Morrill

Dec 1, 2010, 2:35:57 AM12/1/10
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Sup guys.  I've been enjoying my new WP7 phone and totally digging exploring the OS internals!

Recently I've been getting into the "homebrew" app dev as I find it very educational and just plain fun!  I wanted to release my contribution, which is full socket support.  I have enough implemented to support client, tcp socket operations, but I'll probably implement the rest so one can host a socket (ie web server on the phone) or do ICMP.  It's a lil rough around the edges, but still enough there that I wanted to share.

If you have a dev enabled device, just load up the 2010 project and deploy.  This will not work on the emulator because I had to compile a native ARM COM dll (source included).  I suppose this is also an ok example of how to compile and use native code on the device too.

Final note...Don't expect to get this by the market place...for fun only!

-Jer

--
Microsoft MVP - Client Application Development
HJT, Inc Software Developer

Daniel Vaughan

Dec 1, 2010, 7:01:32 AM12/1/10
to WPF Disciples
Nice Jer.
I'm looking forward to socket support. Hopefully we'll see that in the
not to distant future. :)
In the meantime, well done.

Cheers,
Daniel

On Dec 1, 8:35 am, Jeremiah Morrill <jeremiah.morr...@gmail.com>

Jeremiah Morrill

Dec 1, 2010, 1:35:47 PM12/1/10
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel.  It was really only an hour or so of coding, but took 18 hours of just figuring out how work with their "simplified" native marshaling and getting an ARM COM dll correct.

Seems theres a lot of mixed feelings about "homebrew" on WP7.  I think a lot of folks forget that some devs code for fun too :).  There's just soooo much technology on this phone it makes me quite sad that the SDK exposes little to none of it.  I hope with time and effort, I can crack open D3D11 on this thing so homebrewers won't be stuck with Silverlight.

-Jer

Sacha Barber

Dec 2, 2010, 2:04:03 AM12/2/10
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
One of these days Jer I will understand just what your crazy win32 obsessed personality is trying to tell me.
--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com

Peter O'Hanlon

Dec 2, 2010, 4:34:34 AM12/2/10
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Jer thinks in ways that normal people don't; and the world is a better place for him being in it to do all the weird scary stuff so we don't have to.
--
Peter O'Hanlon

Sacha Barber

Dec 2, 2010, 11:49:10 PM12/2/10
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
agreed, but pssst it aint normal, not by a long way
--
Sacha Barber
sacha....@gmail.com

Brennon Williams ..