WPF Control Development Unleashed - On Safari Rough Cuts

1 view

Pavan Podila

Jul 3, 2009, 8:40:36 PM7/3/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Disciples,
      The title says it all :-) http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/9780768695519

Cheers,

--
Pavan Podila, MVP - Client App Dev
http://blog.pixelingene.com

Karl Shifflett

Jul 3, 2009, 8:53:53 PM7/3/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Cool.  I don’t have an account but I looked at the TOC and some abstracts.  Looks very good so far.

Cheers,

kdawg

Pavan Podila

Jul 3, 2009, 9:43:21 PM7/3/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Karl !

Corrado Cavalli

Jul 4, 2009, 12:34:49 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

From a quick look at the preview is looks very interesting, congrats Pavan!

Corrado

Marlon Grech

Jul 4, 2009, 2:53:08 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
awsome mate awsome

Congrats

Regards
Marlon
WPF Blog - http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/
Microsoft MVP for Client App

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Jul 4, 2009, 3:21:35 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Looking great Pavan. When is it due to be published?

Cheers,

Laurent

Jul 4, 2009, 4:33:12 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Let us know when we can pre-order! (Dunno if the link was invisible to me)

From what I heard, authoring a book is a grueling, stressful, bloody task, so mad props!

I don't quite have the grammar skillz so my book would most likely be similar to this ;).

-Jer

Marlon Grech

Jul 4, 2009, 4:35:57 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
writing a book is a suicide!!!!

formatting alone is a nightmare with these editors!!!!!

Regards
Marlon
WPF Blog - http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/
Microsoft MVP for Client App

Sacha Barber

Jul 4, 2009, 4:53:33 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Just to follow on from what Jer said, our book is actually of now, due to publisher being total morons, and wanting a complete book in 2 1/2 months, where we were using the Entire .NET3.5 and possibly 4.0 stack, and writing complex PRISM MVVM frameworks, so as you can imagine we did not see it their way. 6-8 months perhaps, sod them.

Just sticking to articles/blogs I am, twas a crazed plan anywayz

Sad but true

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 01:33:12 -0700
From: jeremiah...@gmail.com
To: wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

Pavan Podila

Jul 4, 2009, 8:35:33 AM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot guys, I can't tell you how relieved I am to see this book on its final lap. Book writing is a mixed bag of things and a totally different experience. I will not bore you with my experience, but leave that for a few drinks later ;)

Laurent, the tentative date is Sep 17th but I think it might come out sooner :)

Jer, you can preorder on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WPF-Control-Development-Unleashed-Experiences/dp/0672330334. BTW, the link you sent sounds like a start I could have used, taking you to 2048 and then bringing back to 2009, into the world of WPF Control Development ;)

Josh Smith

Jul 4, 2009, 12:02:42 PM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar experience.  They seem to forget that you would be writing the book when you aren't working your real job.  For me, it wasn't worth the extra stress.

Josh

Josh Smith

Jul 4, 2009, 12:06:11 PM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
I can't wait to read this one!!

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Jul 4, 2009, 12:17:08 PM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

I heard other such horror stories. Honestly there are a lot of amateurs in the publishing business. I loved the team at Sams because they are real professionals, and they understand what it means to write a book. It took me almost a year from start to finish. Anything else is really unreasonable.

Cheers,

Laurent

Shawn Wildermuth

Jul 4, 2009, 1:07:45 PM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com

If you still want to do a book, e-mail me directly and I can put you in touch with a couple of editors that I really like that might be interested…

Thanks,

Shawn Wildermuth

http://wildermuth.com

https://agilitrain.com

Microsoft MVP (C#), MCSD.NET, Author and Speaker

The Silverlight Tour is coming to a city near you!

Pavan Podila

Jul 4, 2009, 6:42:46 PM7/4/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Completely agree with Laurent. The SAMS team was amazingly understanding and in fact gave us lot of freedom to decide our timelines. My co-author and I took a little over a year to finish the book.

Sacha Barber

Jul 5, 2009, 6:48:32 AM7/5/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
The do sound ace, maybe we just went with wrong publisher, still am off the idea for now, maybe some other time, hell I have no time I've actually got to read a book by some dude called "Pavan" or something. Sounds like a good read, its about vampire converters and wpf wolves or something.

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 18:42:46 -0400

Subject: [WPF Disciples] Re: Sacha/Daniel/Marlons book

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. Download Now

Pavan Podila

Jul 5, 2009, 7:01:20 AM7/5/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

-----------------------------------
Pavan Podila (MVP)

Marlon Grech

Jul 5, 2009, 1:11:44 PM7/5/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
hahaha lol

Sacha you are the best!!!!!

Regards
Marlon
WPF Blog - http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/
Microsoft MVP for Client App

Mark Smith

Jul 6, 2009, 9:47:31 AM7/6/09
to wpf-di...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations -- it's an achievement to get a book done!  Can't wait to read it..

mark

Pavan Podila

Jul 6, 2009, 10:05:24 AM7/6/09
to WPF Disciples
Thanks Mark !

On Jul 6, 9:47 am, Mark Smith <mark.jul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations -- it's an achievement to get a book done!  Can't wait
> to read it..
>
> mark
>
> On Jul 3, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Pavan Podila wrote:
>
> > Hello Disciples,
> >       The title says it all :-)http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/9780768695519

Peter O'Hanlon

Jul 6, 2009, 10:08:16 AM7/6/09