Disqus Comments

Adam Curry

Jul 1, 2011, 2:44:29 PM7/1/11
to World Outline
Opening a new thread on this topic.

At the top level of my rootOuline, I have a node called 'Testing"

It was created a long time ago and Disqus comments are displaying
properly:

http://curryverse.com/testing

I created a subnode called " Testing comments and put a node
underneath it.

On that page I get the error:

We were unable to load Disqus. For more information please see our
documentation on identifier and urls. We encountered the following
error(s):
Could not connect to URL: "http://curryverse.com/testing/
testingComments" (error was "HTTP Error 500: Server Error")

This seems to be happening with new nodes I create.

flDisqusComments are enabled (true)

worldoutline.root and opml.root are up to date.

AC

Adam Curry

Jul 2, 2011, 12:50:46 PM7/2/11
to World Outline
I have been trying to identify the problem for two days and no joy.

There is most certainly a bug in my system:

I set the pref flDisqusComments to 'false'

I expected no comments on my WO server to be displayed

They Still display.

------

Next, I set flDisqusComments to "true" and created a new node. I set
the attribute flDisqusComments of this node to true.

I expected the Disqus Comments interface to load

It does not,and results in an error:

We were unable to load Disqus. For more information please see our
documentation on identifier and urls. We encountered the following
error(s):
Could not connect to URL: "http://curryverse.com/testing/
testingComments" (error was "HTTP Error 500: Server Error")

I have reinstalled worldoutline.root and ensured everything is up to
date.

I see Dave's server is also displaying a Disquss error:
http://worknotes.scripting.com/july2011/7111ByDw/anHttpPuzzle

The World Outline has become my world, and I rely heavily on the
Disqus Comments.

Surely there is someone on this list who can help me troubleshoot
this?? Please??

AC

Dave Jones

Jul 2, 2011, 1:04:52 PM7/2/11
to world-...@googlegroups.com
So comments on "http://curryverse.com/testing/" works, but not on "http://curryverse.com/testing/testingComments" doesn't.  Does disqus call back to the referring page to validate it when it's loading?  Hmmm.

Dave

Adam Curry

Jul 2, 2011, 1:18:21 PM7/2/11
to World Outline
I think something may have changed on the the Disqus side:

I set up a fresh 'virgin' WO server at wo-test2.curry.com

I set the Comments pref on

Using my adamcurryssimpleweblog disqus short name in the prefs.

I got the error as before.

So I went to the disqus admin page and set up a new short name that is
associated with wo-test2.curry.com

Comments work now.

So it appears that Disqus comments have become interlinked with the
domain name.

There is a setting on Disqus to allow 'Trusted Domains':
http://adamcurryssimpleweblog.disqus.com/admin/settings/

It states: "You may optionally specify a list of trusted domains (one
per line) that are allowed to connect to your Disqus comments embed."

It further states:

"Specify one domain per line.
The domain will include all subdomains below it, e.g. blog.disqus.com
will include that domain, as well as foo.blog.disqus.com and
bar.blog.disqus.com."

So I set all the domains that I have running on my curryverse.com
world outline server.

Comments still do not appear on new nodes I create, regardless of pref
and attribute settings.

AC

Adam Curry

Jul 2, 2011, 4:00:53 PM7/2/11
to World Outline
I have Disqus Comments working again as advertised on my world outline
server.

There were casualties in the process.

http://worknotes.curry.com/july2011/7211ByAc/disqusComments

AC