Wordle In the classroom

natepit

Jul 22, 2009, 3:06:46 PM7/22/09
to WordleUsers
What are ways that teachers have used Wordle in the classroom? Share
your ideas or what you have found.

Jennifer Tucker

Jul 23, 2009, 8:40:42 AM7/23/09
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nate,

I am a high school English teacher who uses Wordle in my classroom.
Here are some simple ideas for you to try:

Have students make a Wordle out of the characters from a novel, adding
a characteristic for each one. Ex. ScoutFinchCurious,
BooRadleyMysterious (Leaving out the space between words keeps them
together in the Wordle.)

Have students make a Wordle out of the week's vocabulary words.

(I keep a record of my students' ussernames so that I can find their
work to grade it.)

Of course, there are lots more. Remember, Wordle is UNCENSORED, so
there are some very profane entries. I just tell my kiddies to ignore
them and that sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

Have fun,
Jen Tucker

Cyndie

Jul 23, 2009, 7:25:23 PM7/23/09
to WordleUsers
I just found out about wordle. I plan on using it w/ my 3rd graders to
highlight key vocabulary words in a unit. For example, I created a
wordle on democracy. I'm envisioning introducing the Wordle to the
students. Then at the end of the study having the students create
their own Wordle based on some aspect of the topic that really
intrigued them.
Another idea I have to use as an introduction to Wordle itself is to
have the students to create a Wordle describing themselves using the
feature where you can input the word and the number ranking for that
word.
Unfortunately I have younger students and I was not aware of the
profanity, so I'll have to do it in groups and monitor the students.

Helen Collins

Jul 26, 2009, 4:55:35 AM7/26/09
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
I´m an EFL teacher.

I use them for jumbled sentences where students have to unjumble the words in the correct order.  With younger learners they run up to the board and touch each word as they say it aloud in the correct order.  With these learners I copy and paste each word that appears more than once as it is too difficult for them to understand that they have to touch the big words more than once (and in the correct order).  With older learners they know the bigger words are used more than once..

I do spelling practice with jumbled words and the students run to the board and touch the letters in the correct order or writing them down in their notebooks..

Listening practice by saying the word and the student runs up to the board and touches the word.

With older learners I make jumbled sentences with more complicated structures and I also use Wordle like a substitution table.  I type a few sentences in, say, present continuous, and the students make as many sentences as they can in a given time limit with the words on the board in the given structure.

For higher level students, I type fixed phrases and expressions into a Wordle and the students have to recreate them with all the prepositions and articles, etc. in the correct place.  This helps them to notice the use and position of prepositions and articles, in English.

Introducing a topic.  I type key words into Wordle and the students discuss what the topic of the day is.
.

bdyck

Aug 1, 2009, 12:35:51 PM8/1/09
to WordleUsers
I am a university instructor and PD provider for teachers.
Teachers are using Wordle in many educationally sound ways.
Here is an article I wrote for Education World about the use of Wordle
in the Classroom.

Wordle While You Work
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/columnists/dyck/dyck030.shtml

April McGee

Aug 6, 2009, 2:25:23 PM8/6/09
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
I teach high school English also. I thought it would be interesting to
enter the text of different novels to show the different types of
words used most by different authors. It would give them a sense of
how an author's word choices can establish a voice.

Tilly

Aug 7, 2009, 5:58:14 AM8/7/09
to WordleUsers
I teach English Language in a university and find Wordle a great tool
for the focus on frequency and collocation that it can give. There are
so many ways it can be used that I can't list them here. I gave a
presentation about it earlier in the year which is reported here:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/staff/harrison_t/wordles-copy/ My
only concern is that once the novelty wears off, students might not
pay so much attention - has anyone found this to be a problem?
Tilly