Minutes of Block Watch Meeting

WoosterSqWatch

Aug 14, 2011, 7:19:54 AM8/14/11
to wooster...@googlegroups.com, Joseph Avery, Rebecca Sweeney-Burns, pistol...@gmail.com
Minutes of the August 10, 2011 Block Watch Meeting

Crime Stats for May, June and July presented by Officer Pete Krause
Crime has been low for the summer, particularly given the activity in other areas of the city. Officer Krause will look into an incident on Greene and Chestnut with a large officer response that occurred in early August which neighbors expressed interest in knowing further details about. He will share any public information with the Block Watch list.

Thefts of auto are up slightly, and 90% are thefts of Hondas. Officer Krause recommends a club, properly locked, as the best deterrent.

Officer Krause asked neighbors to be on the lookout for a black male, medium complexion, medium build, approximately 6' tall in his late teens wanted in connection with an attempted robbery on Chestnut and Wooster Street. He also circulated a mugshot of a white male described as light Hispanic complexion, 6'4" and approximately late thirties/early forties wanted in connection with breaking into cars in the Downtown Wooster Square area. If you would like to see a photocopy of the mugshot to inform you further, please email wooster...@gmail.com.  In both cases Officer Krause requested that if you see the individual to call the Police Non-Emergency Number: 203-946-6316 and tell Dispatch that Officer Krause told you to call.

Daily crime stats are now circulated by Officer Joe Avery - neighbors interested in seeing the daily map can email wooster...@gmail.com to be added to a special group to receive the forwarded messages. Wooster Square incidents are infrequent, and please note that Officer Avery's messages sometimes come every few days with multiple days attached.

Neighbor Reports Pair Suspected of Stealing Cables
From a neighbor: "Be on the look-out for two men on bicycles, one smaller middle-aged lighter-skinned black man with a ball cap on a bright yellow bike, the other a younger black man with dreadlocks.  It looks as if they are stealing steel cable from somewhere, possibly near the railway tracks, probably for resale as scrap metal.  We have seen them cycling around Court/Olive/Chapel with loops of cable over their shoulders; one carries a large pair of bolt cutters in a backpack which they use when they think nobody is watching to cut the metal into smaller pieces for more discreet storage in the backpack. I have confronted them once and called the police non-emergency number twice, both yesterday and today, but I imagine they are long gone before anyone comes.  It would be good to know where the cable is being taken from."

Fall Car Break-in Awareness Campaign
Neighbors would like to circulate a flier reminding people to take all valuables out of their car to help reduce the number of break-ins in the area. Volunteers are needed. Please email wooster...@gmail.com if you are interested in helping.

Tag Sale Update
The first annual Wooster Square Tag Sale was a success! My grateful thanks to our neighbor Laura Miles for coordinating all of the publicity and making suggestions on how to run the event.

I-95/91 Construction Update

The Block Watch heard a presentation on the I-95 New Haven Harbor Crossing Corridor and learned that the interchanges closest to Wooster Square are beginning work now with expected completion in about two years. Greenery that had been removed from around the I-91 portion will be replaced after widening of the roads are completed. The Wooster Square area is within a restricted zone which requires contractors to use noise impact equipment to reduce the vibration created by the work. Neighbors are invited to take a tour of the site which would include hard hat areas and an up-close view of the new bridge. Email wooster...@gmail.com if you are interested in taking a tour and I'll be happy to coordinate with the Management Office (limited to 30 people at one tour).

Dog Park Update
Doug Hausladen, candidate for Alderman in Ward 7 (downtown), has been working with Alderman Smart and City administration on a proposed location for a dog park within walking distance from Wooster Square and Downtown. Location ideas can be shared with woost...@gmail.com. The plan is to determine a the best overall location within the next week and begin getting a cost estimate. More discussion will be coming up at a September meeting, including plans to raise funds to create the park.

Problem Intersection: Chapel and Olive
The perpetual problem of traffic headed southbound on Chapel and merging into one lane at the intersection with Olive was brought up by neighbors. There are several SeeClickFix requests to make a left turn lane from Chapel onto Olive to eliminate the potential for accidents (see here, here, here, here and here - please vote or comment!). I hope to soon use those SCF tickets to create a Complete Streets request to submit to the city. I will take any names of neighbors who would like to co-sign the application to show full neighborhood support. Just email your name and street name to wooster...@gmail.com. When the request is drafted I will also circulate it to the Block Watch.

Announcements:

5th Annual GET CAUGHT GIVING Backpack Event

Donate a backpack and/or school supplies to the children of Newhallville. Any donation accepted.  Please email Rswe...@newhavenct.net

For pick up Or call the police substation at (203)946-7827. Donations accepted at Literacy Center, 4 Science Park

Next Meeting: September 2011
Discussion of fundraising opportunities for a Dog Park in the Wooster Square/Downtown area.