New Women in Math

ChristinaSormani

Sep 8, 2009, 5:17:13 PM9/8/09
to WomeninMath
Please be sure to send me the names/emails/affiliations of any new
women who have recently been tenured in mathematics at doctoral
institutions. We would like to include them on the list of members
here and the list has not been updated in three years.

Jeanne Clelland

Sep 8, 2009, 5:42:13 PM9/8/09
to women...@googlegroups.com

Then I guess I'm on the list illicitly, since I only got tenure two
years ago. ;-)

-Jeanne

Sue Geller

Sep 10, 2009, 5:39:58 PM9/10/09
to women...@googlegroups.com
We tenured Sarah Witherspoon (s...@math.tamu.edu) and Laura Matusevich
(la...@math.tamu.edu) in the last two years. Just in case she was
tenured three years ago, Guergana Petrova (gpet...@math.tamu.edu)
should be added to the list too.

Best,
Sue

Dr. Sue Geller
Director of Honors Programs in Mathematics
Professor, Mathematics
Professor, Veterinary Integrative Biosciences
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3368
phone: 979-845-7531
fax: 979-845-6028
email: gel...@math.tamu.edu
office: Milner 128

Christina Sormani

May 2, 2013, 10:29:22 PM5/2/13
to women...@googlegroups.com
Please be sure to send me the names/emails/affiliations of any new
women who have recently been *tenured* in mathematics at *doctoral
institutions*.  We would like to include them on the list of members
here and the list has not been updated in a few years.

The reason this list only included women mathematicians tenured at doctoral
institutions is because we discuss issues relevant particularly to being mathematicians
at doctoral institutions.  I created this group, because discussions at AWM sites
tended to rapidly involve so many women at four year colleges that it was hard to
focus topics on issues relevant to those of us at doctoral institutions.

For example: it is a critical concern to women at doctoral institutions that we pursue
NSF funding, invitations to the top conferences, and other highly selective
forms of acknowledgement.  While women at other institutions may pursue these
if they wish, they are less required to do so.  Discussing these topics with the larger
group engaged tended to lead to accusations of elitism.   It isn't elitism, it is a matter
of promotion to full professor for us.

This group was in fact created specifically to address the selection of mathematicians
for top prizes and to start a discussion around the 2006 Alexander-Taylor-Uhlenbeck letter
published here.   It can also be found here: