Womack Family in America before 1850 - Classification

Nelson

Dec 16, 2007, 4:54:38 PM12/16/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Robert,

Under your blog "Womack Family in America before 1850 -
Classification" you have the following:

"E.6) William Womack of Marion Co, TN - married Lucy Womack, dau of
Thomas/Louvisa (D.1). NOT the son of Abraham Womack (wife Elizabeth
Stubblefield), son of Abraham (B.2). Possibly the son of Isham (B.5)."

How did you come to the conclusion that William Womack was not the son
of Abraham Womack and Elizabeth Stubblefield and possible son of Isham
Womack?

Nelson

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2007, 1:54:52 AM12/17/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Hi Nelson,

This one will take a while to answer, and I probably will not get it
all done tonight.

First let me say that I mean no disrespect to the Womack researchers
that have come before me, but they were occassionally flat wrong.
They did a great deal of research, but they did "connect the dots"
correctly sometimes. A lot more research has come to light in recent
years. I have spent the past four years heavily researching the early
Womack family. I transcibed all the early census records. I have a
few thousand photocopies from books of record transcriptions, plus I
have ordered many microfilms of original records and transcribed a
large number myself. Before focusing heavily on my Womack line, I
focused on my Burke, Bushart, and Troutman lines. None of this is to
brag, but to show I think of myself as a serious researcher, and I try
not to make wild claims I cannot back up with documentation.

I believe that some of the early Womack researchers got caught up in
some wishful thinking and had no real facts to back up some of their
hypotheses. Unfortunately, some of these hypotheses have been
accepted as "fact". That is hard to counteract. The only real proof
in genealogy is documentation. Much of that is missing in early
Womack genealogy. I think we should always be striving to find better
and stronger evidence.

I will start with Abraham Womack, Sr, son of Thomas Womack and Mary
(possibly Farley). This will be rather quick, as I am asuming you
know much of this. If not, I can document this.

Abraham Womack Sr's first wife was Jane LNU as shown by Henrico and
Amelia/Prince Edward Co, VA deeds. After Jane died, Abraham Sr
married Elizabeth LNU. He moved to NC where he purchaed land in Tryon
Co, NC before the formation of LIncoln Co, NC. He wrote his will in
Lincoln Co, NC in 1803, and it was filed in Jan 1804. I am still
working on a timeline of his life, but he was likely born about 1708,
making him 95 or 96 when he died. I am usually pretty suspect of
someone living that long, but I think it was true in his case.

Abraham Sr had three kids by his first wife, Jane LNU: Abraham Jr,
Elizabeth, and Mary. The only known child from his second marriage to
Elizabeth LNU was Abner. While still married to Jane, he had an
affair with Ann Blanton, by whom he had Archibald Blanton and Thomas
Womack. (There are also the possibilities that Thomas was the
legitimate son of Abraham Sr and Jane, or that Thomas was the son of
Abraham Jr, but I do not think either is true).

Abraham Womack Jr married Elizabeth Stubblfield. He moved to Orange
Co, NC, the part which later became Caswell Co, NC. He also had a
land patent in Halifax Co, VA (in the part that is modern Henry Co,
VA). Abraham Jr died in Caswell in 1800. Abraham Jr ha a family
Bible that passed on to his son Josiah. Many dates from Abraham's
family and Josiah's family were part of this Bible record. His oldest
child was William Womack, who born 11 Nov 1753.

Thomas Womack, son of Abraham Sr, married Louvisa Rice. By the 1780s,
they were in Burke Co, NC. Before 1790, Thomas died and Louvisa moved
the family to Rutherford Co, NC. Most of the early records from Burke
Co, NC are gone, but there are a few mentions of Thomas Womack there
in the 1780s. A few of these also mention a William Womack. Thomas
and Louvisa had a son William, but he was probably to young to be the
William of these records. Rather, this was the William who was
Thomas's son-in-law, having married Thomas's daughter, Lucy or Lucinda
Womack. We know that this William Womack moved to Marion Co, TN where
he died 20 Jan 1820. I do not know the source of this date, but I
suspect it is from Primitive Baptist Church records from Swedens Cove.

Francis Marion Womack, son of Isham Rice Womack, son of William and
Lucy Womack, wrote that his grandparents were distant cousins. If
William who was born in 1753, son of Abraham Jr and Elizabeth
Stubblefield was the one who married Lucy, daugther of Thomas and
Louvisa, then they were first cousins. So, what is the proof of all
this? Is there any, or is this all just wishful thinking?

Meanwhile, I had also been researching Green Womack in Illinois. He
was born either in GA or SC about 1789, the censuses say both. From
early Illinois censuses (both federal and territorial), it appeared
that Green's parents were William Womack and Rebecca LNU. Edward
Parker had died in Rowan Co, NC and named daughter Rebecca Womack,
wife of William, in his will. Researchers connected this to William
Womack named in the will of his father Thomas Womack in Rowan Co, NC.
Researchers also assumed that with a William Womack married to a
Rebecca, this was the same as in early Illinois records. There were a
few problems with this theory, however. First, Edward Parker lived in
a totally different part of Rowan Co - the part which later became
Davie Co - and Thomas Womack lived in the part which became Davidson.
Secondly, Rowan deed records show that Edward Parker moved from
Halifax Co, VA, and lo and behold, there was a William Womack married
to a Rebecca there, the ancestors of Mark Womack. When I recently dug
through Halifax Co, VA tax records, I showed that Edward Parker lived
near William Womack in Halifax before moving to Rowan. Thirdly, the
William Womack in Rowan Co, NC seems to have never lived in GA or SC,
but that was where his supposed son Green was born. So, I was back to
the drawing board in identifying the William Womack and his wife
Rebecca in early IL records.

My wife says I must come to bed, so will write more tomorrow.
Message has been deleted

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2007, 11:54:15 AM12/17/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Hi Nelson,

Before I pick up again with William Womack married to Rebecca LNU in
Illinois, a couple items:

1) William was the most common name among Womack males in the first
few generations. In fact, over one-fifth of Womack males in the first
5 generations in America were named William. Nearly 2/3 in the first
5 generations were named William, Thomas, Abraham, Richard, or John -
the names of the 5 Womack brothers in early Henrico Co, VA. There
were so many William Womacks, it is quite easy to confuse them.

2) I was jumping around a little in my first email, so let me be more
precise in who I was talking about, using the classifications I came
up with:

a) Abraham Womack Sr and his son Abraham Jr are branch B.2.

b) Thomas and Louvisa are branch D.1 (although I am almost 100%
certain Thomas was the son of Abraham Sr, I make him a separate branch
because his is such a large branch, and historically, it was only
recently that Womack researchers discovered that Thomas was Abraham
Sr's son).

c) William Womack who married Lucy Womack (dau of Thomas/Louvisa) is
branch E.6.

d) Thomas Womack who made his will in Rowan Co, NC is branch B.9.

e) William Womack who married Rebecca Parker (dau of Edward Parker) in
Halifax Co, VA is part of branch B.7.

3) Several counties in America had several different Womack branches
criss-crossing. Sometimes, researchers make the bad assumption that
Womacks in the same county were closely related. One such place was
Halifax Co, VA, which was originally much larger than it is today.
Branches B.1, B.2, B.5, B.7, B.9, B.10, and B.11 were all in Halifax
Co, VA at one time or another. I am not sure if Thomas Womack who
married Louivisa Rice (branch D.1) was ever in Halifax Co, VA. A lot
of places on the web state he was born in 1743 in Halifax Co, VA,
which is totally incorrect, since Halifax did not exist yet in 1743 -
if Thomas really was born circa 1743, then he was probably born in
Henrico or maybe Amelia.

4) One of the many William Womacks was branch B.3, and he was the
brother of Abraham Sr (B.2). This William was married to Jane LNU
(deeds of Henrico, Amelia, Prince Edward), but this couple apparently
had no children. When William died in 1790 in Charlotte Co, VA, his
estate fell to his siblings, but since most of those were already
dead, their shares fell to their kids, etc. Anyhow, the chancery
records show many relationships, including that Isham Womack (branch B.
5) was the brother of William (B.3) and Abraham Sr (B.2). This Isham
had a son named William. It is possible that William son of Isham was
the William who married Lucy (dau of Thomas/Louvisa). This would make
William and Lucy first cousins once removed. Also, they named a son
Isham Rice Womack. There were not that many Isham Womacks, so the
name may be meaningful. I have no proof that William (branch E.6) was
the son of Isham, which is why I just call it a possibility.

More later...
> > Nelson- Hide quoted text -

Sammers

Dec 17, 2007, 1:06:21 PM12/17/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Robert
Not to pour water on others research; BUT, unless someone can come up
with DNA results of legitimate sons
of Abraham; I cannot support Thomas,. alleged son of the Abraham/
Blanton tryst , as a son of Abraham.
DNA results dispute that. Our DNA testing indicates three non-
genetically related branches of Womacks..

If Thomas was the son of Abraham - then Thomas' descendant sons DNA
should match mine and Rogers closely- They dont...And, there is that
other branch that isnt close either..

By the way, has anyone tested that is a legitimate son of Ole Abe?? I
cant find anyone?? That would show
one of two things - that Thomas isnt a son of Abe; or Abe himself was
a misnomer.

Until someone can show me the DNA results of a legitimate son of Abe,
and that doesnt match mine either; I cannot accept the relationship,
tho I will keep it in my FTM.

When Don gets his results, we will have another to compare - I eagerly
await those!! I am still trying to
get someone in England to take the test. At least that would give us a
possible region where we came from.
If I could contact Jan, wife of Nigel, there in England - perhaps
Nigel might consent to the testing. As I
remember, he is a hospital administrator and getting the test done
should be rather easy for him.. However,
I think those of us who were in contact with Jan through the old
Womack Genealogy site have lost that
contact.

Sam

Nelson

Dec 17, 2007, 7:54:34 PM12/17/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
I find this very interesting and look forward seeing more...

I will need time to digest this information.

Thank you,

Nelson

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2007, 10:28:33 PM12/20/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Sorry I have had not had much time to write.

Abraham Womack Jr married Elizabeth Stubblefield, and the births of
their children are mentioned in the Abraham/Josiah Womack Bible.

Elizabeth and some of the children died before Abraham wrote his will
15 Sep 1796 in Caswell Co, NC (proved Oct 1800). Abraham listed
children William Womack, Mary Benton, Nancy Engram, Lucy Engram, Sinai
Brackin, Elizabeth Womack, and Josiah Womack.

I photocopied Abraham Jr's estate records. It includes receipts from
Josiah Womack (the executor) to the heirs:

23 Dec 1800 - to Betsey Womack "... my father's Estate ...", Wit
William Bethell

12 Apr 1803 - to Chalton Ingram "in right of my wife" [not named], Wit
Betsey Womack

1 Sep 1803 - to Benjamin Ingram "in right of my wife" [not named], Wit
Betsey Womack

9 Jan 1804 - to Joseph Brackin "in right of my wife" [not named], Wit
Will Bethell

16 Dec 1804 - William Womack instructs Josiah to give his share to
Chalton Ingram

16 Sep 1809 - estate settled, noted that David Benton refused to
recieve his share, which was 5 shillings

Here is the full text of the letter from William Womack:

Dear Brother,
You will please to pay to our Brother Chalton Ingram the Balance of my
Legacy coming to me after Satisfying youself Agreeable to my Letter
and this shall be your Receipt for the same. Given under my hand this
16th day of December 1804.
Wm Womack
To Mr. Josiah Womack
Test Chalton his CI mark Ingram

Note that the letter does not mention where William was living at the
time.

From Caswell Co, NC marriage records:

Chalton Ingram to Lucy Wamack, 2 Nov 1778 (Benjamin Ingram bondsman)
Benjamin Ingram to Nancey Womack, 9 May 1786
Joseph Brackin to Sinna Womack, 28 Jan 1795

More later...

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2007, 9:01:07 PM12/29/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
I think I have a little time to write more...

There were two Womack lines in Caswell Co, NC. One was the family of
Abraham Womack, Jr. (Branch B.2). The other was the family of Richard
Womack III (Branch B.11). Both lines were there before Caswell was
formed from Orange Co, NC. These families knew one another and had
dealings with one another, despite the fact they were not very closely
related (3rd or 4th cousins). This was because Abraham Sr and Richard
III (2nd cousins) lived close together in Henrico Co, VA; then moved
about the same time to the same area of Amelia (modern Prince Edward)
Co, VA; then Richard III and Abraham, Jr both moved to Orange Co, NC.
Richard III later moved to Georgia, but his sons Abraham, John, and
David returned to Caswell Co, NC; Abraham and David eventually moved
back to GA but John stayed in Caswell and Person Cos, NC. These two
Womack branches were near each other for several generations.

Anyhow, whever there are multiple Womack lines in one area, people
always gets confused.

On 25 Oct 1804, Charltin Ingram (husband of Lucy Womack, dau of
Abraham Jr and Elizabeth Stubblefield) sold 274 acres on Moons Creek
to David Womack (Caswell Co, NC DB "O", p.20).

This David Womack was the son of John, son of Richard III. He was
thus the 3rd cousin once removed of Lucy Womack Ingram. When this
David Womack died, Josiah Womack, as Caswell County Surveyor, divided
David's land among his heirs in 1824 - Josiah was also the 3rd cousin
once removed of David. Also, Josiah Womack's name is all over Caswell
deeds, since he was the county surveyor for a few years.

See this link: http://genforum.genealogy.com/ingram/messages/714.html

Charlton (or Chalton) Ingram and Lucy Womack had several children, and
all or most of their names began with "M" (son Amaziah's name is
sometimes written as Maziah).

On 24 Jul 1805, Marmaduke Ingram (son of Charlton Ingram and Lucy
Womack) married Margaret "Peggy" McConnell in Sumner Co, TN. Charlton
Ingram had three land grants in Kentucky, the first in Livingston Co,
KY surveyed on 23 Mar 1805. Caldwell Co, KY was formed from
Livingston Co, KY in 1809, and Charlton Ingram appears there from 1809
to 1825 - see http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/INGRAM/1999-04/0924884817

Recall from my previous post that William Womack wrote his brother
Josiah Womack on 16 Dec 1804. Also, Charlton Ingram witnessed this
letter. I assume that William Womack and Charlton Ingram were in the
same place at the same time. Charlton Ingram sold his land in Caswell
on 25 Oct 1804. He probably moved to Sumner Co, TN and was probably
there for his son Marmaduke's marriage on 24 Jul 1805. While living
in Sumner Co, TN, he took out KY land grants, and was living on that
land in KY by 1809.

I think that on 16 Dec 1804, William Womack (son of Abraham Jr and
Elizabeth Stubblefield) was in Sumner Co, TN.

See this link http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnsumner/sumngall.htm and
search for "Warmack". This says William Warmack signed a petition in
Sumner Co, TN on 2 Sep 1809. There were also six Stubblefields who
signed the petition. These Stubblefields were William Womack's first
cousins.

By 1810, William Womack was in Caldwell Co, KY, along with several
Ingrams. William Womack and most of the Ingrams were missed in the
1810 Census, but were in an 1810 tax list of Caldwell. See Trigg
County Handbook, Gateway to the Jackson Purchase, by Eurie Pearl Neel.

In the same tax district in 1810 in Caldwell Co, KY, there was William
Womack, ? Ingram, Benjamin Ingram, Chalton Ingram, John Ingram, Moses
Ingram, William Ingram, and Walter Thedford. There was a Widow Cannon
in another tax district.

See http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyfootst/files/COURT/COURT.Caldwell.BookB1.1810.Sep-Nov.txt

From that page:
*********************************
Ord the following hands be allotted to work on the road whereof
James HOLLY is Surveyor towit Jas BANISTER, Wm BUSH, Tho EAST,
Levi DAVIS, Barnett JAMES Junr., Jesse GREER, Wm WOMACK, Green
WOMACK, Jeremiah HUBBS, David OSBORN, Arthur JENKINS, Saml.
FOWLER Larkin FOWLER, Jesse BIRDSONG, Michl MOBLEY Isaac
HARPER [con. p. 104]
[Note: an interlineation precedes
these names but the names were written over and can't read
them, except for a phrase "INGRAMs to C. CLINE"]

Monday Sept 1810, p. 104--
[con. from p. 103] Bowlen HARPER, Walter THITFORD, Geo McDOWELL,
Thos LONG, John CONNELL, Jas. THETFORD, & Cha CARTER
Present Arthur H DAVIS

*********************************

Note that "Ingram's" is mentioned, as well as William Womack, Green
Womack, and Walter Thedford (Thitford).

This marriage record is also from Trigg County Handbook:

p.109 - Caldwell Co, KY original marriage bonds with parental
consent. 26 July 1813 - Walter Thetford - Nancy Womack. Sec: Wm.
Womack. Father's consent.

So Walter Thedford married Nancy Womack, dau of William Womack. Also,
a Green Womack was in Caldwell Co, KY with William Womack.

Benjamin Ingram (husband of Nancy Womack, dau of Abraham Jr &
Elizabeth Stubblefield) made his will in Caldwell Co, KY on 5 Nov
1810. (See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~evilsizer/Caldwills.html).
Benjamin was in the 1810 tax list, then he died, and his widow Nancy
(Womack) Ingram was in the 1810 Census of Caldwell Co, KY.

In the 1820 Census of Caldwell Co, KY, William Womack was gone (he had
moved to Illinois), but Charlton Ingram was there and listed right
next to David Benton, who has married Mary Womack (dau of Abraham Jr &
Elizabeth Stubblefield).

More later...

robert.e...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2008, 12:16:40 PM1/5/08
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Here is what I believe happened to William Womack, born in 1753, son
of Abraham Womack and Elizabeth Stubblefield.

1) He married Rebecca LNU.

2) He moved to Wilkes Co, GA - in the 1785 tax list, William Womack is
right next to Seth Stubblefield, his first cousin.

3) He may be the William Warmack who had a land survey in Franklin Co,
GA in 1789.

4) His son Green was born in GA or SC about 1789.

5) By the late 1790s, he was in Pendleton Dist, SC. He appears in
several deed records from about 1796 to 1801. In one, he witnesses a
deed and a Rebecca Womack also is a witness (no relationship given
between William and Rebecca). He appears in another deed records with
Kinson Cannon.

6) In the 1800 Census of Pendleton Dist, SC, William Womack is listed
as over 45 (he would have been 47). There was a male in his home the
right age to be son Green, and a female who was his wife Rebecca, as
well as a few other children who are currently unknown. A Benjamin
Ingram was a few lines before William Womack, probably the same
Benjamin Ingram married to William's sister Nancy Womack. Kinson
Cannon was a few lines after William Womack.

7) About 1800, son Benjamin was born, but since he died before 1850,
not sure where, probably SC.

8) He moved to Sumner Co, TN. His name is on a petition from 1809,
along with some Stubblefields who were his first cousins.

9) Son Joseph is born in in TN about 1805.

10) In Dec 1804, he writes a letter to brother Josiah instucting
Josiah to give William's share of the estate to their brother-in-law,
Charlton Ingram, and Charlton Ingram witnessed the letter. Ingram
records show that Charlton was probably in Sumner Co, TN or Livingston
Co, KY at the time. Since Charlton Ingram witnessed the letter, we
can assume William Womack was in the same place. Charlton Ingram was
married to William's sister Lucy Womack.

11) Around 1808, son Clement is born in Illinois. William's family
must have been going back and forth a lot at this time between TN, IL,
and KY. Note that Caldwell Co, KY is in the skinny part of KY, where
it is not very far between TN and IL.

12) William was missed in the 1810 Census of Caldwell Co, KY (formed
from Livingston), along with most of the Ingrams. However, the 1810
tax list for Caldwell Co, KY listed William Womack, Benjamin Ingram,
Charlton Ingram, other Ingrams, and Walter Thedford all in the same
tax district. Also, Widow Cannon was in another district. This was
the widow of Kinson Cannon, who appeared with William Womack on a deed
record in Pendleton Dist, SC. Kinson Cannon has probate records in
Caldwell Co, KY.

13) Around 1810, son Levi is born (William had a brother named Levi).
Not sure where Levi was born, since he died before 1850.

14) Around 1811, Green Womack marries in Randolph Co, IL (his marriage
record does not list the date). He then served in the War of 1812
from southern IL.

15) An 1813 court order from Caldwell Co, KY lists a road crew that
includes William Womack, Green Womack, and Walter Thedford. The road
ran from Ingram's place.

16) In 1813, Nancy Womack, dau of William, married Walter Thedford in
Caldwell Co, KY.

17) In 1818, William and Green Womack were in the Illinois Territorial
Census for Gallatin Co, IL.

18) In 1820, Rebecca, Green, and Benjamin Womack were in the 1820
Illinois Territorial Census for Gallatin Co, IL (they were missed in
the Federal Census), so William must have died prior to 1820.

19) In the 1830 Census, Rebecca and Green Womack were in Gallatin Co,
IL. Walter Thedford (married to Nancy Womack) was a couple lines from
Rebecca Womack. Benjamin Womack was in Shelby Co, IL.

20) In the 1840 Census, Green and Benjamin Womack were in Shelby Co,
IL. Joseph, Levi, and Clement Womack were in Taney Co, MO.

21) In the 1850 Census, Green and Clement Womack were in Shelby Co,
IL, as well as Levi's widow. Joseph Womack was still in Taney Co,
MO. I think that Benjamin Womack's widow was the Hester Womack in the
1850 Census of Jackson Co, AR.

I think that is everything, let me know if any questions.

My conclusion is this: since William Womack, son of Abraham Womack
and Elizabeth Stubblefield, died in Gallatin Co, IL, he could not have
been the William Womack who married Lucinda Womack and who died in
Marion Co, TN.
> to 1825 - seehttp://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/INGRAM/1999-04/0924884817
>
> Recall from my previous post that William Womack wrote his brother
> Josiah Womack on 16 Dec 1804.  Also, Charlton Ingram witnessed this
> letter.  I assume that William Womack and Charlton Ingram were in the
> same place at the same time.  Charlton Ingram sold his land in Caswell
> on 25 Oct 1804.  He probably moved to Sumner Co, TN and was probably
> there for his son Marmaduke's marriage on 24 Jul 1805.  While living
> in Sumner Co, TN, he took out KY land grants, and was living on that
> land in KY by 1809.
>
> I think that on 16 Dec 1804, William Womack (son of Abraham Jr and
> Elizabeth Stubblefield) was in Sumner Co, TN.
>
> See this linkhttp://www.rootsweb.com/~tnsumner/sumngall.htmand
> search for "Warmack".  This says William Warmack signed a petition in
> Sumner Co, TN on 2 Sep 1809.  There were also six Stubblefields who
> signed the petition.  These Stubblefields were William Womack's first
> cousins.
>
> By 1810, William Womack was in Caldwell Co, KY, along with several
> Ingrams.  William Womack and most of the Ingrams were missed in the
> 1810 Census, but were in an 1810 tax list of Caldwell.  See Trigg
> County Handbook, Gateway to the Jackson Purchase, by Eurie Pearl Neel.
>
> In the same tax district in 1810 in Caldwell Co, KY, there was William
> Womack, ? Ingram, Benjamin Ingram, Chalton Ingram, John Ingram, Moses
> Ingram, William Ingram, and Walter Thedford.  There was a Widow Cannon
> in another tax district.
>
> Seehttp://www.rootsweb.com/~kyfootst/files/COURT/COURT.Caldwell.BookB1.1...
> 1810.  (Seehttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~evilsizer/Caldwills.html).

Nelson

Jan 20, 2008, 10:05:07 AM1/20/08
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Robert,
Sorry, I have not replied sooner, I have been extremely busy at work.

I would like to thank you for the answer. You make a very convincing
argument that William, son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Stubblefield)
Womack is not the William that married Lucy, daughter of Thomas and
Louvisa (Rice) Womack. That in fact did marry a Rebecca.

I agree with you that it is a possibility William Womack that did
marry Lucy Womack was a son of Isham Womack.