Tallahatchie, MS > White, AR

Beth

Dec 4, 2007, 9:44:03 AM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Robert,

I'm not disputing the lineage you have, but I wanted you to see what
another researcher has for this lineage:

Your info:
1850 Tallahatchie Co., MS

William W. Womack (wife Elizabeth LNU) >???> Charles >> Charles >>
William (will pvd Sep 1791, Cumberland Co, VA)

The Womacks in Tallahatchie Co, MS in 1850 were in the 1880 Census of
White Co, AR
Wamack, W C - Image Source: Year: 1880; Census Place: Union, White,
Arkansas; Roll: T9_59; Family History Film: 1254059; Page: 47.3000;
Enumeration District: 280; Image: 0234.
Wamack, S C - Image Source: Year: 1880; Census Place: Union, White,
Arkansas; Roll: T9_59; Family History Film: 1254059; Page: 47.3000;
Enumeration District: 280; Image: 0234.

This lineage includes Kit Carson Womack.

Researcher, Linda Duncan has William W. Womack, b. ca. 1810 Prince
Edward Co., VA, son of Elizabeth Madden and James Watson Womack, son
of William Womack and Mary Allen.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=linda72020&id=I37705

It looks as if Linda got her info from Annette Carpenter Womack's
research.

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 11:47:44 AM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Hi Beth,

I had seen both Linda's and Annette's work before, and I am convinced
they are both mistaken.

James Watson Womack did not marry Elizabeth Madden as far as I can
tell.

His first cousin, John Watson Womack married Elizabeth Maddox - JOHN
W. WOMACK to BETSY W. MADDOX 19 August 1815 Prince Edward

John Watson Womack was the son of Massanello Womack. He appears with
his father in the 1820 Census of Shelby Co, KY; and again with his
father in the 1830 Census of Spencer Co, KY (Spencer was formed from
Shelby, Bullit, and Nelson in 1824). In the 1840 and 1850 Censuses,
John Watson Womack was in Macoupin Co, IL. John Watson Womack
secondly married Nancy Yowell -
WOMACK, JOHN W to YOWELL, NANCY MACOUPIN
08/11/1836
(Note that in my pages I have her somehow as Nancy Yarnell, I am do
not remember where I got that). In 1850, John Watson's son Stephen
Maddox Womack was in Morgan Co, IL, adjacent to Macoupin.

According to "Cherry Grove" (http://www.womacknet.net/
cherrygrove.htm), James Watson Womack was married only once to Sarah
Allen, and they had a son named Benjain William Womack, who in the
1850 Census was in Prince Edward Co, VA.
JAMES W. WOMACK to SALLY C. ALLEN 28 August 1809 Cumberland
Given that James Watson Womack married Sarah Allen in 1809, and his
kids were born starting in 1811, I do not see how "Elizabeth Madden"
was the mother of any of his kids.

John Watson Womack and James Watson Womack were first cousins, so I
guess someone confused them. They also confused Maddox for Madden.
Anyhow, just one more Womack fallacy that will never get fixed in most
cases.

So, two facts:
1) James Watson Womack DID NOT marry "Elizabeth Madden" (no such
person, his cousin John Watson Womack married Elizabeth Maddox).
2) James Watson Womack DID have a son named Benjamin William Womack,
so highly unlikely he named another son William W. Womack.

I conclude that Linda Duncan's info is wrong, as is Annette's.

I will do another post later as to why I think William W. Womack of
Tallahatchie Co, MS and White Co, AR *may* have been the son of
Charles Womack, Jr.
> http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=linda72020...

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 12:53:18 PM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
In my last message, I gave my documentation and reasoning as to why
William W. Womack of
Tallahatchie Co, MS and White Co, AR WAS NOT the son of James Watson
Womack.

I think that *maybe* he was the son of Charles Womack, Jr and Sarah
McDaniel.

Some undocumented WorldConnect entries list the children of Charles
Womack, Jr. and Sarah McDaniel as Stephen C, Agness W, and Sarah W. I
do not know the proof of this, but lets assume it is correct.

Agness married Edward Douglass in Pittsylvavia Co, VA: EDWARD DOUGLASS
AGNESS W. WOMACK 14 October 1829 Pittsylvania

By the time of the 1830 Census, Edward Douglass and family were in
Shelby Co, TN (E C Douglas, Source Citation: Year: 1830; Census
Place: , Shelby, Tennessee; Roll: 181; Page: 21). Agness secondly
married Joseph Waller about 1835 in Shelby Co, TN. In 1840, Joseph S.
Waller was in Phillips Co, AR and in 1850 he was in Bradley Co, AR;
Agness is listed as 41 and born in VA.

Agness's sister, Sarah Womack, married Joseph Smith 25 Feb 1834 in
Shelby Co, TN (I have seen this one in a book of Shelby Co, TN
marriages). She secondly married Carey Parr about 1838. In 1840,
Carey Parr was in the Census for DeSoto Co, MS. Both Carey and Sarah
died before 1850 and their kids were living with Joseph S. and Agness
(Womack) Waller in the 1850 Census of Bradley Co, AR - note that the
oldest son was Charles W(omack?) Parr, born about 1839 in MS. If you
search for Womack on the Parr GenForum (http://genforum.genealogy.com/
parr/) you will find a great deal of this info.

Stephen C. Womack, brother to Agness and Sarah, may have been the
Stephen Warmock in Vicksburg, Warren Co, MS in 1850 (he was 46, born
in VA). He had a son born c1836 in TN, which is about the same time
Agness and Sarah were in Shelby Co, TN. Then he had children born c.
1837 and c1839 in Missouri. He may have been the Stephen Warmack in
the 1840 Census of Wayne Co, MO. The numbers for his family fit
correctly. However, there was another Stephen Warmack (son of Matthew
Warmack) living in Wayne Co, MO (see the 1850 Census), but I do think
this Stephen married until late in life, after 1850. I can find no
further trace of the Stephen Wormack/Womack lin Warren Co, MS after
the 1850 Census.

William W. Womack was in Tallahatchie Co, MS for the 1840 and 1850
Censuses. His family was missed in the 1860 and 1870 Censuses of
White Co, AR, but his sons were there in 1880. William W. Womack died
about 1867 in White Co, AR. He left a will there, which Sam has
abstracted on his page (http://dubbie.tripod.com/samsville/
womack02.html) as "William V Warmack":

More Womack Will Extracts, White Co AR

William V Warmack, Book A, page 192 may 11, 1867
Named Sons: Stephen C Executor) Daughters: Mary Brandon
William C Elizabeth H Osborn
John T Martha T Wormack
Nancy V Warmack

Note that William W. Womack's eldest son was named Stephen C. Womack -
the same as the purported son of Charles Womack Jr and Sarah McDaniel,
so pethaps William W. named his son Stephen after his brother?.
Furthermore, Stephen C. Womack was born in TN circa 1834, the same
time Agness and Sarah were in Shelby Co, TN. I wonder if their is a
death record or a Civil War record for Stephen C. Womack that gives
his exact place of birth?

So, my unproven hypothesis is that William W. Womack was the son of
Charles Womack Jr and Sarah McDaniel, based on similar names and
places and dates of birth.
> > research.- Hide quoted text -

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 1:06:09 PM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
This dumb message board keeps messing up the links I paste into my
messages, especially when it breaks them onto a second line.

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 3:45:23 PM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
I looked at Annette's info and see that she has the marriage of James
Watson Womack and Sarah Coleman Allen as 28 Aug 1819 in Cumberland Co,
VA. Every other place I have seen say 28 Aug 1809, or exactly 10
years earlier. Need to see the original.

Egbert Womack, who was the great-grandson of James Watson Womack,
wrote that they married in 1809.

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 3:55:19 PM12/4/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
From "Marriages of Shelby County, Tennessee 1820-1858" by Edith Rucker
Whitley.

The original marriage records were lost, but they were copied into a
numbered ledger.

816. 25 Feb 1834 Joseph Smith to Sarah W Womack

873. 27 Jul ____ Joseph L Woller to Agnes W [Womack] Douglas [no year,
but surrounded by marriages from 1835 and 1836]

1151. 1 Oct 1838 C Parr to Sarah W [Womack] Smith 4 Oct 1838

1451. 23 Feb 1843 John F Warmack to Lockey Wagnon 7 Mar 1843

1479. 2 Dec 1842 E P Wormack to Rebecca Wagnon

2368. 12 Feb 1850 Shelby A Bettis to F J Womack 13 Feb 1850

3394. 23 Jan 1854 Wm T Eddins to Burchis Wamick 24 Jan 1854

3906. 29 Oct 1855 Charles Crenshaw to Indiana S Womack 30 Oct 1855

robert.e...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 10:37:04 AM12/5/07
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
From "Marriage Records 1749-1840, Cumberland County, Virginia" by
Katherine B. Elliott

James W. Womack to Sally C. Allen, bond dated 29 Aug 1809, Surety: Dan
E. Allen, Note: Dau of Benjamin S. Allen who gives consent.

There are 8 other Womack marriages in this book; I do not have time
now to type them out.