Low cost generator test bench

j...@tieole.com

Nov 6, 2014, 6:02:16 AM11/6/14
to wind-emp...@googlegroups.com
One thing I would like to see from Technology - Turbine group is a paper on building a low cost generator test bench.  Also start some sharing on this and also best practices for designing and developing a test bench.  I feel it would be a very good work in progress.
Message has been deleted

Hugh Piggott

Nov 26, 2014, 3:24:23 PM11/26/14
to wind-emp...@googlegroups.com, j...@tieole.com
A good way to test a generator is to fix the front magnet rotor to a wheel hub of a truck.  Jack up the truck. Take off the wheel.  Bolt a piece of plywood to the hub as an adapter.  The plywood needs to have the same hole pattern as the hub and also as the magnet rotor studs.  Then take some time to make sure it runs true without too much wobble.  Then drive the alternator.  Measure Hz for rpm.  Measure voltage and current.  If you are clever you can measure the torque too.  I can explain more about that part later.  It's simple but effective!

http://scoraigwind.com/sei2004/p7a.jpg
http://scoraigwind.com/sei2004/index.htm