Quick tip for people using structured pages in Wikied

Leigh Blackall

May 21, 2008, 7:23:04 AM5/21/08
to networked-learning, wikied...@googlegroups.com
If you are structuring pages in Wikied, you may prefer the page title did not display the full path of the page. For example

Mainpage/Subpage1/subpage2

If you would prefer this page title to be:

subpage2

add the following template at the top of the page:

{{ShortTitle}}

Thanks Wayne for showing me this in a recent edit

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

Wayne Mackintosh

May 21, 2008, 1:45:50 PM5/21/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Leigh -

Appreciate the post -- thanks. I should also mention that there is
another template which will display a customised page title as well.

so instead of using {{ShortTitle}} to display the heading "subpage2"
on this page: Mainpage/Subpage1/subpage2

The user may want to "pipe" the page to display a different title when
compared to the last part of the url above using {{MyTitle|
Insert_your_customised_title_here}}

So for example if you insert {{MyTitle|My favourite page}} on
Mainpage/Subpage1/subpage2 -- the page heading will display "My
favourite page"

See also:

http://wikieducator.org/Template:ShortTitle
http://wikieducator.org/Template:Mytitle

WE have a short time lag between the implementation of new features
and tutorials that explain how to use these features :-(.

I'm currently working on two tutorials that provide guidance on these
new features. including the use of our new navigation templates and
content info boxes! FYI:

http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Navigation_templates
http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Developing_a_teaching_resource

Any help from the community in reviewing and testing the tutorials is
most welcome!

Cheers
Wayne

Brent

May 22, 2008, 1:21:26 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I think we should also note that it was actually a Wikieducator, http://wikieducator.org/User:JimTittsler who created this extension (http://wikieducator.org/Extension:WETitle) which is now available for any MediaWikis out there to install.

Nice one Jim.

brent.
--
--------------------------------
http://digitalsynapse.co.nz

Leigh Blackall

May 22, 2008, 1:48:20 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Well spotted Brent. Many thanks Jimbo - a very helpful extension

Wayne Mackintosh

May 22, 2008, 1:49:33 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely ! Thanks Brent -- says Wayne <blush>

Jim has been doing a lot more than coding the WETitle extension feature . Jim has put up his hand to help out with our WE community on the technical support side. Jim spends rainy Sunday's coding  solutions for Open Office to talk with WE's pedagogical templates. Jim is a pillar of advice and support on helping COL plot fail over server architectures for the WE servers. The list continues.

Rob has helped out in tweaking the WETitle extension into more user friendly formats for newbies to implement. Country Mike (aka Brent) has  implemented some pretty cool stuff including navigation templates, content infoboxes, and early prototypes for learning design models.

I apologise for not citing the innovators who have made this possible .... my mistake.

Cheers
Wayne