School Collaboration with China schools

Wong Leo

Sep 20, 2010, 11:07:41 PM9/20/10
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Dear all WE

I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM ( GEM is an education management group developing business, management, software & technology education in China and Southeast Asia)
We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
For example we bring French students now to China every year

For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far we have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other countries as well .

You can know more abt the campus here at http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm

For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers and students , welcome any feedback on this are

Is there any best practices model in WE already ?

Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
Feel free to contact me

Leo

--
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China

gene aronin

Sep 20, 2010, 11:19:31 PM9/20/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Leo,
Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to assist. I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the Training profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally trained trainers (the professional organization is the American Association for
Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program. Just trying to be helpful.
Thanks,
Gene
Gene Loeb, Ph.D.

With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

Kim Tucker

Sep 21, 2010, 1:30:00 AM9/21/10
to leol...@gmail.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

Some time ago I did a curriculum development exercise on Wikiversity
which uses the same platform as WikiEducator (MediaWiki).

In addition to the wiki we used a mailing list and held some face to
face workshops.

We came up with a "curriculum framework".
Each separate institution would then make their own specific
curriculum potentially using some of the learning resources.

In the end we did not have any institutions using and contributing to
the learning resources.
The key is to involve people with a real need to collaborate and share
on supported projects on an agreed platform (such as WikiEducator).

Anyway, the approach is interesting (portal with Educator Resources,
Guidelines for Editors and How to Get Involved).
Feel free to use and adapt the ideas:

Social Entrepreneurship Portal:
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Social_entrepreneurship/Curriculum

Hope that helps

Kim

----

> --

> wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com.

> wikieducator-teacher-colla...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator-teacher-collaboration-forum?hl=en.

Wong Leo

Sep 24, 2010, 9:20:51 AM9/24/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
@ Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of traning of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your area , which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might be able to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in wikieducator or ) even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring students to China ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .

Leo

Wong Leo

Sep 24, 2010, 9:24:42 AM9/24/10
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator
@ John , I think if we could bring some of interenational students here to China we might be able to bring you on board to teach your course here in China

so I am more interested to know more abt your curriculum design and other materils , it is the best if we could some open platform like wikieducator etc

For other ideas , Do you think if Thai students are interested in coming to Mailand China where I am http://gem-group.com to study for 1 or 2 semster to get the degree regonition or some of Chinese immersion program or some tailor made programs .

You can send me off list emails too

Leo

2010/9/24 john stampe <jwst...@yahoo.com>
Leo,

I not sure how much I can help, but next semester (beginning in November) I am teaching a course to Business Chinese students here in Thailand. The course (Eastern Civilization) is taught in English, but almost all the students are Thai. So if there is any way we can to help give me a shout.

Regards,
John

http://www.wikieducator.org/User:JohnWS
http://johnsearth.blogspot.com

Sep 24, 2010, 9:29:31 AM9/24/10
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator

@ Anirban , @ all

the same situation here ,
We are very interested in curriculum development at the level of face of face or based on wikiedcator etc ,

We are also interested in more of academic exchange programs like short term study here in China or bring more of students to China to bring more Chinese students overseas .

You can see French student program here as example http://gem-group.com/gemPrograms/programs-frameset3.htm

we are expanding this year , so we would really welcome more of international students coming to China to study and bring more students out too .

2010/9/24 Anirban Ghosh <anirb...@gmail.com>
Dear Leo,
Thank you for your initiatives. I last moth I was in South Korea for a Fellowship programme. Currently, I am the faculty of Commerce & Management at Netaji Subhas Open University, India. I have developed the course curricula for undergraduate and post graduate course and other short term term skill development  courses for the University.
We may also help you in developing the curricula for chinese people.

Thanking you,
With regards,

Anirban

--
Dr. Anirban Ghosh, M.Com, PGDDE, Ph.D
Assistant Professor &

gene aronin

Sep 24, 2010, 2:53:16 PM9/24/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Leo,
I am so appreciative of your kind response. I am going to work on your requests and ideas. I am forwarding it to the University I am affiliated with, Roosevelt Univeersity in Chicago, Illinois, United States to see ways they can also be of help. I will write back in a day or so or you can email me again.

Gene

Wong Leo

Sep 24, 2010, 9:29:53 PM9/24/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
@ Gene I am trying to send you a email ,but bounced back
and saying this

Your message about "Re: [WikiEducator] School Collaboration with China schools" was waitlisted.
Please add yourself to my Guest List so your messages will be delivered to my Inbox. Use the link below.

kirby urner

Sep 25, 2010, 1:32:14 PM9/25/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Mr. Wong --

I noticed your emphasis on Elephant conservation which I agree is a
good unifying program.

I have sketched an advertising campaign for what we might call the
Global U (global university) with saving elephants a theme.[1] Global
U is a metaphor for this planet we share. Spaceship Earth is another
such metaphor. I think if we imagine ourselves sharing a giant
spherical university campus, as students and faculty, we might work
together better, while improving the curriculum.

Elephants represent memory, wisdom... I'm sure many traditions in
China have well-developed symbolism. In the Hindu tradition, we have
Ganesh.[2]

When I search on "elephants" in Wikieducator I find those essays by
young people in Israel. They were apparently assigned the task of
creating Wiki pages and reviewed a story of how elephants seemed to
know in advance about the tsunami in Southeast / South Asia in 2004.
The autobiographical content is also interesting.

Pulling together lore (stories, both true and fictional) about
elephants from many cultures, exploring elephant imagery in different
civilizations, could well serve to anchor an excellent curriculum for
business managers who also see themselves as diplomats and world-aware
problem solvers (as "global university students" in other words).

In the world of cyber-skills, using geographic information systems to
identify ecosystems where elephants still thrive (there are not many)
will help build skills and awareness.

Thank you for your work,

Kirby Urner
http://wikieducator.org/User:KirbyUrner

[1] http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/06/our-global-u-advertisement.html

[2] http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=ganesh

PS: I was in China in the early 1970s and treasure the memories. I
was a much younger man then.
Example picture by one of my traveling companions:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/2559427759/
(I've also been to Iran where I met many fine people -- would be great
to get back there, as well as to China)

Wong Leo

Sep 25, 2010, 2:19:59 PM9/25/10
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kirby , I am very much moved and interested in carrying on the conversation abt elephants with you

 an excellent curriculum for
business managers who also see themselves as diplomats and world-aware
problem solvers (as "global university students" in other words).

===> WOW , I really like your perspectives on this , I have not thought abt this

I need to go to sleep , will talk more later day time

2010/9/26 kirby urner <kirby...@gmail.com>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator Teacher Collaboration Forum" group.

vaishali patel

Sep 25, 2010, 2:20:58 PM9/25/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello Leo,

I am from India. And would like to join your group gem-group. i think every contry has different philosophy, attitude to the business management. this is the good platform to learn business. do you have any program for Indian students? pls. inform me by e-mail.

Groups "WikiEducator" group.

gene loeb

Sep 25, 2010, 4:56:09 PM9/25/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Kirby, This is a fine, clear description of the concepts of Elephant conservation which give concrete shape to this metafore and concept. I hope to see more of your campaign and thank you greatly for your contribution to my understanding and humble activities.

Wong Leo

Sep 26, 2010, 10:36:44 AM9/26/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
@ Vaishali , @ other indian wikiedcuator in this list

I am looking at http://wikieducator.org/India page ,

in a school I worked before , Soochow University , we have a lot of indian students who study medicine here  , read here http://www.mbbsinchina.net/Soochow.html
I am very impressed to see the india page http://wikieducator.org/India/Featured_user and contribution in wikieductor , and excited to talk with more of teachers and educators from India
could you tell me more abt your specific interest in education , and program and let me find out abt what we can do here thank you ,feel free to email me .

gene loeb

Oct 3, 2010, 12:16:46 PM10/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.
I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.

I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my  communication.

I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at   gele...@gmail.com, skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.

Thanks,
Gene

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With Sincerest Best Wishes ,

Gene
Gene Loeb, Ph.D.

Wong Leo

Oct 3, 2010, 8:22:33 PM10/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
@gene hi,what kind of training u can offer? do u have a webpage ?i am
on the road,typing from my phone will write more,maybe talk to u
ongtalk

2010/10/4, gene loeb <gene...@gmail.com>:

> [...]

http://wikieducator.org/User:Leolaoshi

Wong Leo

Oct 3, 2010, 8:34:56 PM10/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
@gene hi,what kind of training u can offer? do u have a webpage ?i am
on the road,typing from my phone will write more,maybe talk to u
ongtalk

http://wikieducator.org/User:Leolaoshi

kirby urner

Oct 3, 2010, 8:51:48 PM10/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Here's a blog post with information about assistive technology for the
elderly.

It was projected for a province in Canada however the project leader
giving the talk did not end up managing what he was sketching.

I'm guessing this design is still on the drawing boards, still a
little ahead of its time, but maybe some communities are already
implementing it?

Basic idea: passive (non-intrusive) home monitoring, raising "call
me" flags with supervisory staff in the case of software-detected
exceptions.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2005/07/wanderers-meeting-200575.html

Kirby

Sebastian Panakal

Oct 3, 2010, 11:23:09 PM10/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Great Idea. Unemployed home-makers (women at home) could do it. I should be able to arrange a few volunteers for the project.

Sebastian Panakal
skype id:sebastianpanakal

gene loeb

Oct 4, 2010, 12:06:25 PM10/4/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,
Thanks for writing. I a gathering ideas that you wanted now and will send in a day. I am redoing my website on technology and the elderly.
Gene