K12 initiative making the news

Peter

Nov 4, 2008, 4:41:24 PM11/4/08
to WikiEducator
Hello All,

The K12 project I have been working on got some unexpected media
exposure... puts WE into some good light.
http://www.canada.com/northshorenews/story.html?id=bfe6fdde-f3c8-4994-9c41-39c11f2ab085

I know I'm not alone in this effort (Nellie, Gunther, Others). So I
was thinking for all those others encouraging student generated K12
content they should add thier projects to the very new (and under-
developed) portal... http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Student_Generated_Content#Active_K12_Projects

Cheers, Peter

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Nov 4, 2008, 4:51:54 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Peter,
The news item is very impressive. 64 of grade 12 students students are interested in collaborating with students from other countries. So far, I managed to find a school in Washington, DC for 32 of my grade 11 students. I would like to see a lot more high school kids on WE.
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.nelliemuller.com
http://www.integrating-technology.com/pd
http://www.building-relationship.com/education
http://blendedlear.ning.com
http://connecting-online.ning.com

Peter

Nov 4, 2008, 5:00:50 PM11/4/08
to WikiEducator
Thanks Nellie,

I look forward to the review of this project early next summer to see
how we did in relation to what we have aspired to do... So far it has
been exceeding my expectations. I certianly hope we can meet our
definition of success; http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Prawstho/IPS_Statement_of_Work#What_success_looks_like

Could I encourage you to add your project to the student generated
content portal? http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Student_Generated_Content#Active_K12_Projects

Peter

On Nov 4, 1:51 pm, "NELLIE DEUTSCH" <nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Peter,
> The news item is very impressive. 64 of grade 12 students students are
> interested in collaborating with students from other countries. So far, I
> managed to find a school in Washington, DC for 32 of my grade 11 students. I
> would like to see a lot more high school kids on WE.
> Warm wishes,
> Nellie Deutsch
> Doctoral Student
> Educational Leadership
> Curriculum and Instructionhttp://www.nelliemuller.comhttp://www.integrating-technology.com/pdhttp://www.building-relationship.com/educationhttp://blendedlear.ning.comhttp://connecting-online.ning.com
>

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Peter <prawstho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
>
> > The K12 project I have been working on got some unexpected media
> > exposure... puts WE into some good light.
>
> >http://www.canada.com/northshorenews/story.html?id=bfe6fdde-f3c8-4994...
>
> > I know I'm not alone in this effort (Nellie, Gunther, Others). So I
> > was thinking for all those others encouraging student generated K12
> > content they should add thier projects to the very new (and under-
> > developed) portal...
> >http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Student_Generated_Content#Ac...
>
> > Cheers, Peter- Hide quoted text -

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Nov 4, 2008, 5:12:40 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Peter,
This is a wiki. You are more than welcome to anything that my students and I have added. You may add to it and place it or replace it, add to it, and place it where you think it would be appropriate. I would love for someone to finally play around with the wiki pages like they would with modeling clay.

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership

Randy Fisher

Nov 4, 2008, 5:15:37 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nellie,

Perhaps in your comment below, there are the seeds of an idea....

What if, at some point, there were a cluster of WikiEducators - who decided....maybe in a conference setting - to work as a group, and collaborate on a group of pages, on a given topic, or theme....

This could be accomplished in several days....just as a conference runs in terms of time....

Thoughts, ideas?

- Randy
--
________________
Randy Fisher - Change Management & Collaboration, Human Performance & Engagement, Sustainable Communities & Organizations

* Engaging People in Teams, Communities and Organizations....and WikiEducator!

+ 1 604.684.2275
wiki...@gmail.com

http://www.wikieducator.org
http://www.wikieducator.org/Community_Media
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher

* Cool WikiEducator Video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc9-CNlIqsY

* Can You Do the Wiki-Wiki? http://www.wikieducator.org/Wiki_Wiki

Skype: wikirandy

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Nov 4, 2008, 5:31:42 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Randy,
This is how I see the wiki working. I thought we all did.

Randy Fisher

Nov 4, 2008, 5:35:54 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nellie,

Yes, I do too....

But we have a GAP, from where we are right now - to where we want to be....

A smaller, focused effort, which then reports its findings / experience to the larger whole, might be a good way to help us to get where we want to be.

- Randy

Leigh Blackall

Nov 4, 2008, 5:46:28 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter, I really like the spin on the wording that that journo has done:

WikiEducator looks like Wikipedia. In fact, it uses the same software. And, like the online encyclopedia, its mission is ambitious. It seeks to put all the world's educational materials online and make them freely available to everyone on the planet by the year 2015.

We shoudl copy that and replace all "one curriculum" sounding lines straight away.

Only trouble is, that "ambitious" mission is already happening. Everything is going online, huge amounts of it freely (in terms of copyright), just not all of it is being centralised on Wikieducator.
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Leighblackall

Peter

Nov 4, 2008, 6:23:06 PM11/4/08
to WikiEducator
Leigh,

With all due respect, Not that I disagree with what you are saying its
just that I think you need a new pair of glasses. You seem to be
reading a lot into things and being overly pessimistic about good
works. In the big navel gazing world we live in, it is good people are
putting efforts into projects like WE. We may not have it right in
some peoples views, but at least we are engaged and I challenge you to
point me to something better than WE in bringing an international set
of educators together to create a free curriculum (with a good set of
the tools and a vision for it to be localized). And through time, I
hope we end up where things have become flatter and flatter.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma

I'm gettin' worried about you Leigh.
Watch me dance if you want some playful distraction;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQz51pH5cpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlxrJ16cMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lakvIXEH2iU

In one of our dances we were jamin' with a didgeridoo

Be Well...

Peter

> > --
> > ________________
> > Randy Fisher - Change Management & Collaboration, Human Performance &
> > Engagement, Sustainable Communities & Organizations
>
> > * Engaging People in Teams, Communities and Organizations....and
> > WikiEducator!
>
> > + 1 604.684.2275
> > wikira...@gmail.com
> > * Can You Do the Wiki-Wiki?http://www.wikieducator.org/Wiki_Wiki
>
> > Skype: wikirandy
>
> --
> --
> Leigh Blackall
> +64(0)21736539
> skype - leigh_blackall
> SL - Leroy Goalposthttp://learnonline.wordpress.comhttp://www.wikieducator.org/User:Leighblackall- Hide quoted text -

Leigh Blackall

Nov 4, 2008, 7:36:22 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

You said:
I challenge you to point me to something better than WE in bringing an international set
of educators together to create a free curriculum

Now I'm worried (though I'm relieved you dance :) "a free curriculum", surely a slip of the tongue Peter?

The Internet is bringing (not just) educators together. I worry about "educators" who feel they need something like Wikieducator to bring them together, or that Wikieducator is the thing that is doing what the Internet has been doing all along.

An answer to your challenge Peter: The Internet (international network) is the platform (that includes Wikieducator) that is bringing an international set of educators together to offer up and develop free curricula. The other great thing about that is that the wall between learning and life is breaking down.

I am trying to look at Wikieducator as one of many "tools" or services available to me for publishing media and information, and connect with like minded people and networks. It is a small piece loosely joined. Trouble is it takes up far more of my time than the other free tools, because of its demands around community, collaboration, governance, and its tendency to centralise our efforts and not allow easy embedding and distribution. As a wiki tool it has very useful features (such as print-to-pdf), and a number of annoying ones such as not offering an easy way to backup my work.

My OER work (along with millions of other "educators") is distributed across the Internet, and as a result is networked and relavent. Wordpress, Blogger, Youtube, Blip.tv, GoogleDocs, Archive.org, Wikispaces, Wikipedia, Wikiversity, Flickr, Picasa Web Galleries, and various other minor sites. It is the Internet that brings us OER, and I'm trying to remind you/us of that - less we fall into a trap of becoming over reliant on Wikieducator, too caught up in its rhetoric, and end up centralising and locking ourselves in. Do you feel the lock in? I do.. time to dance and shake it off a bit.

Leigh Blackall

Nov 4, 2008, 7:41:24 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Oh, BTW.. I hope you're not thinking I am poo pooing the K12 project! Not at all! In fact I have already forwarded the story onto a number of people. I especially like the fact that it is more student generated. Just checking that you aren't relating my highlight of a particular way of describing the Wikieducator mission as some how being a criticism of K12 project. Not at all. Its just me being greedy and dominating the thread with other issues - sorry

Maria Droujkova

Nov 4, 2008, 7:49:13 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Education is a set of tools we grab as needed, for our current work and play. Starting from that ("radical unschooling") position... What are things I can be doing with our local math clubs that go beyond personal and intra-club meanings, and toward community meanings?

Kids creating purely educational materials so other kids can participate in purely educational projects devoted to creating purely educational materials for purely... This is a bit too self-referential for my taste. I'd like to see kids creating tools so other kids can work and play. What can those be, as far as math is concerned?

Asking for ideas.

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Wayne

Nov 4, 2008, 7:55:57 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:46 +1300, Leigh Blackall wrote:
We shoudl copy that and replace all "one curriculum" sounding lines straight away.
Just a brief clarification -- the notion of a free curriculum should not be misinterpreted as an attempt to build a meta-curriculum for all nations.  It has never been the intention of WikiEducator to suggest that a single curriculum would serve all nations and all people -- this would be travesty for education.

It would be more accurate to say that our project strives to work collaboratively with the freedom culture to develop free content resources in support of national curricula, for all sectors by 2015 (as articulated in the M&E plan: http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:M_and_E_Overview )

Education is contextually bounded and will always be driven by the local needs and circumstances of the learners we are aiming to serve.  I hope that we will not become too trapped in pedantic debates regarding the articulating our vision at the expense of what WikiEducator is really about.

Sure, WikiEducator is not the only show in town --- but it is founded on a core set of values, which are not necessarily embraced by projects like GoogleDocs, Youtube, Flickr etc. WikiEducator has a demonstrated track record and commitment to helping educators -- largely from the developing world in becoming equal participants in sharing in the potential of what social software can offer.  There is no educational wiki project in the world that has made a greater effort in building capacity in helping educators live out the real purpose of education -- i.e. to share knowledge freely.

Cheers
Wayne

Wong Leo

Nov 4, 2008, 9:51:48 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hey Peter and Leigh ,

I really like the conversation , and want to bring some of my 2 cents , and again from Chinese perspective , I just got back from Hongkong ,

Let me start from the newspaper reading from Hongkong, In hongkong if you have been , you take MTR a lot and they give you free newspaper to read , the first free newspaper I got from MTR station was talking abt the Milk scandal here in China mainland ( I assume that most of you have heared of it ) have you ?

and the way it talked abt the milk scandle is very different from the way I read it from here in China mainland ,I teach Media research in my partime job , I would like my students to be more self-critical on what they read and see , and they need more varieity instead of just one voice , but it is obviously not very possible if you buy Chinese produced newspaper , but luckily or unluckily we have Internet , though Government have the censor here , but still people can be able to read much more different perspecitive for the same news ,I think it is very key for our students , I am thinking abt using the newspaper in my next course here to give them the idea , but again , I don't want to get fired from my school or in Jail so I need to think about something else

Leigh is pointing out the very important issue I believe ,is are we creating discrimination or bias when we are being passionate to other educators , I am with him at this point ,

In China , we have a website called haokanbu www.haokanbu.com , it is a very wondeful web2.0 websites , I used it a lot with my students , however ,I stopped to use it lately , and  many of my students gave up using it when they finish my course , and right now , many of Chinese teachers are being very optimistic and postive and passionate on using this platform after I began to use it abt 2 year ago , however , it is a little bit over now I think , they are telling other teachers Hey come on  if you don;t want to be left out , come and join us on the stage " it will be fun and good to see more people in the same stage but , I am worried that it will creat 2 bad things for both teachers and studetents

1 Teacher feel intimidated if they don;t join in

2 teacher will push their students to use it coz they think many other schools and students are using this ,and one of value web2.0 is creating is we use what our friends use .

3 then we might lose the creativity, even making teachers who don't want to use it right away feel left out ,  again , web2.0 is creating barrier and walls now , not breaking it

However I think Peter is also right in many ways , I just so much enjoy your conversation ,and learned a lot , so please contiue and forgive my interupption .

Leo blessings

2008/11/5 Maria Droujkova <drou...@gmail.com>

--
Leo Wong
http://wikieducator.org/user:leolaoshi

Wong Leo

Nov 4, 2008, 10:00:03 PM11/4/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
btw I received some of personal emails /invitations from WE members  during last  month , I didnot have the internet access when I was at Hongkong for my internship , I will get back to all of you ASAP , really sorry for that ,

Leo

Peter

Nov 5, 2008, 12:02:18 AM11/5/08
to WikiEducator
Not smellin' any poop Leigh... but thanks.

On Nov 4, 4:41 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > tendency to centralise our efforts and not allow easy embedding and
> > distribution. As a wiki tool it has very useful features (such as
> > print-to-pdf), and a number of annoying ones such as not offering an easy
> > way to backup my work.
>
> > My OER work (along with millions of other "educators") is distributed
> > across the Internet, and as a result is networked and relavent. Wordpress,
> > Blogger, Youtube, Blip.tv, GoogleDocs, Archive.org, Wikispaces, Wikipedia,
> > Wikiversity, Flickr, Picasa Web Galleries, and various other minor sites. It
> > is the Internet that brings us OER, and I'm trying to remind you/us of that
> > - less we fall into a trap of becoming over reliant on Wikieducator, too
> > caught up in its rhetoric, and end up centralising and locking ourselves in.
> > Do you feel the lock in? I do.. time to dance and shake it off a bit.

Peter

Nov 5, 2008, 12:07:42 AM11/5/08
to WikiEducator
Leigh,

I guess we are in non-violent agreement then... ahhhhh so were back to
the collaborative networky thing... so what does it take to build a
node on the network? Is WE just going through the "standard" lifecycle
of becoming a node?

Now, I want to see you dance!

Peter

On Nov 4, 4:36 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> You said:
>
> > I challenge you to point me to something better than WE in bringing an
> > international set
> > of educators together to create a free curriculum
>
> Now I'm worried (though I'm relieved you dance :) "a free curriculum",
> surely a slip of the tongue Peter?
>
> The Internet is bringing (not just) educators together. I worry about
> "educators" who feel they need something like Wikieducator to bring them
> together, or that Wikieducator is the thing that is doing what the Internet
> has been doing all along.
>
> An answer to your challenge Peter: *The Internet* (international network) is
> the platform (that includes Wikieducator) that is bringing an international
> set of educators together to offer up and develop free curricula. The other
> great thing about that is that the wall between learning and life is
> breaking down.
>
> I am trying to look at Wikieducator as one of many "tools" or services
> available to me for publishing media and information, and connect with like
> minded people and networks. It is a small piece loosely
> joined<http://www.smallpieces.com/>.
> >www.wikieducator.org/User:Leighblackall-Hide quoted text -

> --
> --
> Leigh Blackall+64(0)21736539

Leigh Blackall

Nov 5, 2008, 3:26:11 AM11/5/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Leo, thanks for joining in, it is very nice to hear from you! Its been quite a while.
Peter, you can see my wife and I dance the wiki jig that Randy started, and most recently, here I go over the weekend in the mountains. Embarrassing!

How would we develop a more networked approach? Here's a big hot air balloon to spit ball...

  1. We would tone down (turn off) the Wikieducator talk, and talk up the projects on Wikieducator.
  2. Make more of Steve and Miinhaaj's monthly User award. Do Randy's suggestion of "Project of the Month". Set up a Wikieducator blog and assign guest writers. Hold monthly webconferences to hear from the people behind the Project of the Month.
  3. Stop using rhetoric and competitive data about building a Wikieducator community or family and spend energy promoting and celebrating the projects and the individuals behind them.
  4. Discourage celebrity and singular voices that speak as though on behalf of Wikieducator - such voices should be almost impossible to find.
  5. Who founded Wikieducator, or what international agency gives money is not as significant (merely historical) when compared to the significance of the projects and individual efforts on the platform.
  6. The people who keep Wikieducator ticking over should be seen to be anonymous, humble and serving the wishes of the Users and not the desires for some sort of governance policy or complex agenda. Admin should NEVER be seen to be defensive (or have others defend on their behalf) and certainly never argue with the Users or require anything from them other than feedback. Turn off LQT or implement the suggestions immediately, unless the User's it was apparently installed for speak up. And above all, admin people should never have an agenda other than to serve the wishes of each and every User as though they were highly valued paying customers
  7. We should develop a MediaWiki that is contemporary Internet (like Chris Harvey's SuperUser, Brian Lamb's embed a wiki, and Tony Hurst mashup.
  8. Add obviously good extensions like widgets and embedded media and work hard at 2 way mashup data, improved support for RSS, streamlined media cross uploads, use Archive.org, Blip.tv and any other media service that supports Creative Commons licensing)
  9. Either become Wikiversity, or distance Wikieducator radically from the Wikimedia Foundation model. An educational wiki is very different to an encyclopedia or any other reference project. (I propose a very Web2 MediaWiki and minimal government as a point of difference)
  10. And just to round it off to 10, encourage truely shared ownership, by supporting and encouraging individuals to run their own fundraising campaigns to develop projects that improve Wikieducator. So make it possible for people to set up a development version

Peter

Nov 5, 2008, 7:49:59 AM11/5/08
to WikiEducator
Wow!!!!
Truely enlightened words Leigh. All that stone throwing really paid
off, eh.
Seriously. This is an amazing list, I am in full support of every
point.
And in regards to point 9. I vote for differentiating ourselves
radically from a MediaWiki Foundation model.
We do need to become very Web2.0. Being very loosely coupled so to
encourage the addition of good extensions while providing preference
to no partner.
I sometimes think we should branch from MediaWiki... that's a
different discussion...

Go, Leigh, Go...

I really liked the ski boot dance...

Be Well!