the power of less

Randy Fisher

Apr 4, 2009, 11:29:54 PM4/4/09
to WikiEducator
Hi everyone,

Just reflecting on our wish that WikiEducator improve its functionality - WYSYIWG, Liquid Threads, nicer interface, easier account registration, and I come across this interesting article on BBC News:

Enjoy!

- Randy

--
________________
Randy Fisher

+ 1 604.684.2275 (Pacific Time)
wiki...@gmail.com

http://www.wikieducator.org - Member, WikiEducator Community Council
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher

* Can You Do the Wiki-Wiki? http://www.wikieducator.org/Wiki_Wiki

Skype: wikirandy

"Open Education is a Sustainable & Renewable Resource.

* For faster and greater ROI, please encourage Philanthropists to require that any content written under their grants / funding,  be released as free and open source content.

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Apr 5, 2009, 3:35:11 AM4/5/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Randy,
The power of less may make the digital natives powerless. :) The next generation we need to consider is not ours. We should empower the next generation to be independent thinkers who will be able to design tools that cater to their needs not ours. Are we not merely making a copy of ourlives with new tools: http://socialcpr.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-tool-for-doing-it-old-school.html
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
skype:nelliedeutschmuller

Scott Newson

Apr 6, 2009, 1:12:37 AM4/6/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
The thing with technology is that 'less' is very subjective. Tools that lessen the cognitive load on the user often have a lot of though put into them by their designers who consider them more complex than a similar tool that requires a lot from the user. With the example of a WYSIWYG editor, those of us who are used to working with the normal wiki markup language and who know that it takes an 'extra' extension to make the WYSIWYG happen might think of such a change as 'more', but for someone who is just used to using normal document editors being able to make changes in a familiar way means that there is less of a transition to make.

From the article you referenced: "I see more people trying to get the ideas that already exist right." This sort of comment seems to support the idea of working to make existing activities easier (ie WYSIWYG editors, easy interface). I'm actually rather confused now as to what you are trying to say...
I originally thought that you were concerned that general infatuation with shiny new tools would lead to an overly complex environment, and that having less of these extensions would lead to a simpler/better environment... but now I'm not sure. Could you expand a bit?

I personally like to be able to explore and figure out how things work, especially in computers, so I often end up doing things in a 'less is more' way. But I still like being able to make use of abstractions in areas that I don't understand yet. For example, I'd hate to have to hand code an email to do all the things an email does to get from me to you every time I want to say hi.

Scott

john stampe

Apr 7, 2009, 5:59:20 AM4/7/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
The problem that I have with people who talk about the "power of less" or WYSIWYG is how ironic the statements are if you look at real life. In another thread somebody mentioned that they had problems getting unversity lecturers to learn wiki syntax. Yet I have seen the same type of people going to the library or bookstore to get a book on how to use MS Word, despite the fact they will use only a small number of its features.

Many people use word processors to write simple text. Yet it would be much simpler to use a text editor - where you can concentrate on the important part, what you say.

Or for another example, take Liquid Threads. How many complaints have their been in this mailing list? (Indeed, the was the first topic I saw after I joined the list) It maybe simple, but does it work?

In conclusion, my postition could be summed up by Einsteins comment: everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Apr 8, 2009, 6:25:14 AM4/8/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks. I just put on wikieducator a help article on editing wiki doing it my favourite way - with a text editor. Its here http://www.wikieducator.org/Help:Editing_using_a_text_editor

However, it could use your help in three ways:
    1. I run Linux and therefore am not familiar with text editors for windows and Mac (other than ports of Unix editors). These editors should be included.
    2. I usually use emacs not vim (please no flame wars). So the section on vim probably could be improved
    3. If you favorite editor is not listed, please add it.

Happy editing,
John

Maria Droujkova

Apr 8, 2009, 8:13:53 AM4/8/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
John,

This is an excellent tutorial! It will really help those who are
committed to a large projects using wikis, or any other mark-up
language for that matter.

I think it's useful mostly to people who already remember a large
chunk of the syntax by heart, though. For those who do not remember
the wiki syntax yet, learning will be delayed by removing the
immediate feedback loop of clicking "preview" - unless I missed some
easy way for feedback loops. So, this tutorial is an "intermediate"
step, for those already in some relatively involved wiki-projects.

"The power of less" conversation applies mostly to beginners, in my
mind - people not yet committed to using wikis, and trying to check it
all out and decide.

Thanks again for the tutorial - I will definitely use it.

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations

john stampe

Apr 10, 2009, 4:07:59 AM4/10/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your comments Maria.

Actually I accidentally sent the e-mail to the power of less thread (fingers working faster than the brain I guess). But your comments are correct, the tutorial was designed as a intermediate tutorial.

As for previewing, yes it is not immediate, but you can of course still use the preview button after putting the text into the box. Also, the Mozex extension (assuming your using Firefox) is helpful (it is discussed near the end of the tutorial).

Cheers,
John