children philosophy curriculum

Wong Leo

Feb 3, 2012, 10:26:11 PM2/3/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Dear all , anyone know anything about this area ??

--
Leo Wong
Teacher and teacher trainer

机构博客:http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com

个人博客 http://blog.sina.com.cn/leolaoshi1

 Skype:leolaoshi

Malaysia number +006 010 2718251
There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with the real teacher and real Kids.

Nagarjuna G

Feb 3, 2012, 11:48:59 PM2/3/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

2012/2/4 Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com>

Dear all , anyone know anything about this area ??

Please follow the references cited in this paper, which may give you some links.

--
Nagarjuna

Wong Leo

Feb 5, 2012, 8:29:25 PM2/5/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator
Hey all those are very helpful !and it is so interesting to see is there something universal about children philosophy without being too culturism ?

some thing like death , love , equity and fairness , justification , religeon ,

and Kim love your citation of software angle , there is must be a internet ethics and philosphy to consider , but are we being too pushy to push the idea of being freedowm like using cc wikieducator ? i recently started to work on  a small project on finacial curriculum for a company, i do think to work on a wiki format is a good idea , but meanwhile , the idea of profit making and copyright

again, i hope wikieducator could work more curriculum on those non-techie topics ,
2012/2/6 Kim Tucker <kctu...@gmail.com>
Hi all,

A software angle and "envirethical" angle to consider.

Some of the following may be of relevance if you consider ethics an
important part of philosophy.

In 2010 I catalysed the development of some case studies on libre software.

Libre software
http://wikieducator.org/Software_libre
is the ethical choice requiring the source code to be available to
enable freedom to use, adapt and share the software to help one's
self, one's neighbour and community.

i.e just like WikiEducator's free cultural works:
http://freedomdefined.org/Definition -  whose definition was based on
the free software definition:

The case studies may be browsed here:
http://wikieducator.org/Free_Software_Case_Studies

Among the case studies is one on Warrington school in New Zealand:
http://wikieducator.org/Free_Software_at_Warrington_School

They have a great approach to integrating "envirethical" ethics into
the curriculum:
http://wikieducator.org/Warrington_School/Envirethical

Hope you find something useful to build on :-)

Kim

PS See also:
Why Schools Should Exclusively Use Free Software
http://www.gnu.org/education/edu-schools.html

PPS: Reminder on WikiEducator and Libre software:
http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Libre_Software

-------------------------------------

On 5 February 2012 00:04, Alison Snieckus <alison....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> I've heard good things about a program at a local university. Not sure how
> much info is available on their website.
>
> Institute for the Advancement of Philosophy for Children at Montclair State
> University in New Jersey, USA
>
> Alison
> User:ASnieckus
>

> 2012/2/3 Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com>

>> Dear all , anyone know anything about this area ??
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Teacher and teacher trainer

Wong Leo

Feb 5, 2012, 8:34:50 PM2/5/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator
i started a project about elephants about 5 years ago , even with this elephants topics we managed to talk with out students something about love and compassion between human and elephants and elephants withj elephants , which yield amazing results by reflecting more on philosophcial level instead only on knowledge level , currently i am trying to apply a phd program from USA which focos more on spiritual development of children and how our education reflect on that

anyone interested in recommending some phd program  for me in this area ?

thank you

leo

Edward Cherlin

Feb 6, 2012, 1:05:50 AM2/6/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 23:48, Nagarjuna G <nagar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/4 Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Dear all , anyone know anything about this area ??

I know about a program that put Yale Math professors into middle
school classrooms. They dealt with the deep philosophical questions in
Foundations of Mathematics that children come up with, which their
teachers know nothing about. Many of these questions become great
obstacles to learning if not properly addressed. Questions addressed
include

* What is a number?

* Is 0.99999...necessarily equal to 1?

* Is there a largest number?

* How many numbers are there?

* Is 0 nothing, or is it really a number?

* How can you have a negative number of anything?

I encountered an example after I left Yale, when my mentor told me
that she could not do algebra because she had been taught that a
variable is a number that changes its value. This is obviously
nonsense, since numbers are constants, but she could not get the
teacher to see this. Without a resolution of the conundrum, she could
not do algebra, even though she remembered the formulas. I explained
that variable names are pronouns that can refer to different numbers
at different times, just as the pronoun "you" can refer to whomever
you are talking with. She went away for twenty minutes, and on
returning said that she could do algebra now, and that there was
nothing more to discuss.

I am working on a digital version of a Ken Iverson computer algebra
textbook that takes this exact tack. I will work on his Arithmetic and
Calculus textbooks next.

http://booki.treehouse.su/algebra-an-algorithmic-treatment/

number, character, array, list, table=noun
variable=pronoun
function=verb

and so on.

http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/Books

http://jsoftware.com/help/dictionary/partsofspeech.htm

http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/Essays/English%20Grammar

http://jsoftware.com/help/dictionary/dict2.htm
Grammar

The following sentences illustrate the six parts of speech:

> Please follow the references cited in this paper, which may give you some
> links.
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/yllt2884x64p4121/
>
> --
> Nagarjuna
>

> --

> wikieducator...@googlegroups.com

Alex P.Real

Feb 6, 2012, 5:57:27 AM2/6/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

Interesting how our backgrounds bias our words. As a sociologist & anthro I'm too prone to a relativistic flair to sustain that there are universals, or rather there may be but culturally interpreted and re-constructed; theories of learning & psychology of childhood are indeed of interest but I don't think there is significant evidence available of their validity within every society & culture. The same would apply to philosophy, and the case for children philosophy might be intertwinned with the concept of childhood and the role assigned to it.

BTW, how fascinating Kim!

I don't think there is a contradiction between profit making & open movement (hence the difference libre vs gratis); a different issue is that some may not like that others use their work to make money (e.g. CC by non-derivatives non-commercial). All in all, maybe we're assisting to a new business model in which profit is not achieved as outcome of direct sales. E.g. Free (gratis) OER involve significant exposure & can lead to funding, further per-pay studentship, new studentship market segments ready to pay for certification but not "normal HE fees", etc.

I agree WE can
sometimes be too techie, but ICT is changing our daily lives & worldviews much more than what we're normally aware of, so listening/reading to the savy & drawing synergies helps us make the best of it. Wiki can't always be "the solution" but I've actually seen corporate departmental teambuilding skills through wiki, so I guess tools are one side of the coin, the other what we're capable of doing with them.

Cheers,

Alex P. Real

2012/2/6 Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com>
Groups "WikiEducator" group.

kirby urner

Feb 6, 2012, 11:45:16 AM2/6/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
My sister is a grad of a philosophy for children program in Montclair,
New Jersey, got her degree quite awhile back. Seemed a very
innovative program.

I fall back on Wittgenstein's philosophy of mathematics a lot, when
introducing the possibility of a tetrahedral model of 3rd powering,
actually more obvious than the cube-based in many ways.

Teaching philosophy to children is a subversive activity because it
improves their debating skills and defenses against curriculum
material the state mandates and which teachers have limited ability to
defend.

I think snuffing out philosophy has been an important development in
academia, where there's a pale form of rhetoric / logic, a remnant,
but the computer science people have really taken that over already.
Philosophy has been extinguished.

Ergo, bringing it back among children may be somewhat difficult. I'm
encouraged by the work of Rev. Billy in this regard and his Church of
Stop Shopping. I just watched the documentary last night and have
rarely met a philosopher I respect more.

Kirby

simonfj

Feb 7, 2012, 3:23:55 PM2/7/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Some interesting comments here.
I'd tend to steer away from this one - "i am trying to apply a phd program from USA which focos more on spiritual development of children" - if only because it's a typical problem' i.e. people tend to conflate philosophy with their religious ideals. Obviously I'd have to read the curriculum but "spiritual development" sounds like "religious instruction" to me.

I do like things like a read through my illustrated Encyclopedia of Mythology. It seems to get some interest from 6 to 18 yr olds.

But any form of philosophic guidence needs to be approached using tools relevant to the child, so this approach might b attractive these days.

So far as a comparison which seems to get a rise out of the economically obsessed, I find comparing Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations with his Theory of Moral Sentiments gets a few young (teen) brain cells ticking.

There was one quote I learnt so long ago i can't remember who wrote it. "If a person thinks they can teach philosophy, they don't understand the art. All they can do is impart their own." That's probably why it's always such a subversive and powerful discipline. Maybe we should be employing more elephants:)